Chapter 1

Near To You

Sunggyu took his last big sigh and stared into the mirror, smiling at himself. He looked at his outfit again and then with a smile and thumbs up he took his luggage and left the house. It was hist first day at college and he couldn't be more excited. His best friends Dongwoo and Sungjong were not only going to college with him but also going to dorm with him. Sunggyu couldn't feel happier about that and his new life at college. Not only are his best friends going to the same college as him, but also his long time crush he adored since the first year of high school, was going to be there too with his group of friends. Sitting in his mother's car on the way to his new school just thinking about that said person, made his heart flutter. 

Sunggyu wasn't stupid, really. He was only having the biggest crush on someone who was basically one hundred times more popular than him and probably didn't even know that he existed, though all that didn't stop him from swooning over that person for years now. It was always Sunggyu who was astonished every time he saw that person, always looking from afar. Even though his best friends always encouraged him to take the first step, Sunggyu just denied it and said that it's pleasing already to just look from a far and that he was okay with it. He really was but this year everything was different. It was college and not high school anymore and Sunggyu knew he had to take chances. Sunggyu couldn't lie though because deep inside another reason why he never confessed was, that he knew that being gay was not everyone's forte and there was a 99% chance that his crush was straight. Also, he unfortunately had to fall for the most popular student and to top that, a jock who was also the most popular one out of his group of friends. He knew that it was dumb but he was pretty sure he would get bullied from him and his friends if he would confess and that would make things at high school more complicated then they already were. 
Sunggyu and his friends were never outstanding but also not the losers at school. You could say that they were at the middle and barely no one even acknowledged them. They were just in their own little world and that was okay for them. Sunggyu's only wish was to find love and get loved back. Was that too much to hope for?

 


There he was, standing in the hallway of his new school, totally amazed. He was so ready for his school life and so excited for what was about to come in the future. Sunggyu clenched his fist. "I will finally confess this year, don't hide anymore Sunggyu!"


As he heard a familiar voice behind him, he saw a smiling Sungjong and an over-excited Dongwoo rushing towards him. "Gyu!" Dongwoo loudly exclaimed. "Good morning to you too, Dongwoo." Sunggyu said with a smile. 


Soon all of the three were emerged in a conversation, just like always until Sunggyu stopped his laughter and his eyes turned big. There were them, the most looking guys on earth strolling over the hallway with what seemed like their advisor. There was this famous smile and all of a sudden he only saw him. His long brown bangs, his dazzling smile and the most beautiful dimples he has ever seen. 


Suddenly he was brought back to reality, when Sungjong nudged him with his elbow. "Staring at Myungsoo again, are you?" the guy said teasingly, wiggling with his eyebrows. Sunggyu let out a gasp. "Stop! Also, don't talk so loud, someone could hear you!" Sungjong just shrugged. "This is not high school anymore, no one knows you or us or your precious Myungsoo so chill." Sunggyu almost wanted to hit the younger but he tried to keep his calm. Before Sunggyu could retort, their advisor came and guided them their room. 


Their dorm was not big but also not to small, perfect for three people and Sunggyu was sure that more people than three could fit here but he was happy to just share his room with his friends, people he already knew. The first day was only orientation and they were all sorted in groups of five to seven people. Their advisor gave them a paper with their group number, the time they'd have orientation and with who. Sunggyu excitedly opened his paper only to reveal that all the names he read so far were names he didn't know. His eyes read every single name, searching for Dongwoo's or Sungjong's, but to no avail. 


"Sunggyu, with who do you have orientation?" Sungjong curiously asked on top of his upper bunk bed. "I've got with Dongwoo and some girls from our old class."
Sunggyu huffed in annoyance. "I don't know anyone!" Sungjong gave him a look, signaling the older that he wanted to see his paper and so did Sunggyu reach out and give him the sheet with the unknown names. 


Sungjong silently read all the names but suddenly stopped at one name, raising his eyebrows. "Sunggyu..don't you know Nam Woohyun?" Sunggyu looked at the younger guy dumbfounded. Sungjong rolled the paper and not-too-harshly hit his friend's head several times with it. "Pfft I can't believe you have a crush on Myungsoo for years now but don't even know who Woohyun is." Sunggyu was just looking at him with a fake pained expression and Dongwoo was just watching the whole situation, lightly chuckling. "Is..Is he important?" the light brown haired male asked. Sungjong laughed shortly. "Woohyun is Myungsoo's best friend." Sunggyu's eyes widened because he actually did know the guy. He was always with Myungsoo and they were often seen together, not only just within the group and they always seemed so close, that Sunggyu would always be jealous. "So he is that Nam Woohyun guy..I see." Sunggyu thought to himself.

Sunggyu arrived at the hallway almost to late since he was occupied with unpacking, forgetting the time. He was running and wanting to turn right, when he harshly bumped into someone's chest. It was so broad and Sunggyu felt like he would get a headache later on. Both fell on the floor and before Sunggyu could even apologize, the person in front of him stood up and growled with an angered expression. "Watch where you're going!" the guy almost shouted, not sparing Sunggyu a look yet. Sunggyu opened his eyes only to widen them. Before him stood that said Woohyun, his crushes' best friend. Sunggyu immediately stood up and apologized and only when the person looked back at the apologizing guy, his face softened but also turned into worry. "Oh, uhm..I should be the one who's sorry, I should have not been so mean right now." Sunggyu looked kind of confused to why that guy standing in front of him changed so suddenly. "Uhm..it's okay." Sunggyu awkwardly said. "Well..if you excuse me I have orientation now and I am way too late already so.." Sunggyu took a step forward when the guy hold onto his arm. "Aren't we in the same group? Let's go together." Sunggyu awkwardly smiled, "okay." Sunggyu didn't know how to feel about the fact that that guy apparently already knew his name and who he was. Sunggyu didn't with him so why did that guy already know that he was 'Kim Sunggyu', like it would say on the sheet of paper Woohyun probably also received.


Orientation went okay but something about Woohyun made him curious. Sunggyu felt like the other's eyes were looking at him from time to time and he felt slightly uncomfortable but maybe he was just imagining things so Sunggyu just tried to shrug it off.

 

The first day of school seemed exciting and even if Sunggyu didn't want to admit, but his thoughts were only occupied with how he's going to confess to his long time crush Myungsoo. Just the thought of the other ones smile made his stomach turn in happiness and made him squirm in his bed at night. He could already tell that his college life was going to be amazing. Well, hopefully.

 


"Woohyun? Are you even listening?" Woohyun turned his head towards the voice coming from his best friend, sitting beside him. "Uhm, yeah." Both Myungsoo and Howon looked at him confused. "You are spacing out often these days..is everything okay?" Myungsoo asked. Woohyun just gave him an empty look and nodded, signaling him that everything was alright, now setting his eyes onto his lunch. His friend Howon now started to speak, "You didn't answer his question Woohyun." Woohyun now turned to his other friends, listening carefully. "What is it?", he asked. Myungsoo lightly elbowed his friend in his hip, looking excited all of a sudden. "Do you see those girl sitting over there? They are freaking hot I swear. Just look at their bodies Nam, I think I'm going to ask some of them for their number. What about you?" Woohyun looked at those girls, one by one. They were laughing and eating, sharing conversations and basically just doing what girls would do at lunch. They surely were attractive, to no doubt, but he just didn't get the drill. Did he really want their numbers? Normally he would have agreed in a heartbeat, but this time it seemed like he had to pass. "Nah, not this time Myungsoo." Woohyun turned back to his food but was stopped when he wanted to put his fork into his mouth. Myungsoo let out a faked dramatic gasp and took Woohyun's head in his hand and focused it back on the girls. "How can you even think about passing those girls? I mean just look at them! Don't tell me they're not your type?" And indeed, Woohyun was looking at them again, not answering his friend. He was looking at those girls but his eyes wandered towards the table beside them and all of a sudden his eyes were focused on this guy, laughing with his friends, showing his rich hamster teeth and his eyes forming little crescents. Woohyun answered, "Yes, they're not.", his eyes still fixed on that one boy.


Woohyun was lying in his bed, resting his head on his arm staring at the back of his friends top bunk. It was quiet in the room, his best friend Myungsoo was sitting on his desk, studying for the upcoming exams and Howon was somewhere outside other than the room. Woohyun felt troubled for a long time. Ever since the beginning of his first high school year, if he was honest. He moved to another city so he had to transfer school. The first day he stepped foot into his new school, he was scared. Scared to be an outcast, a loner. In elementary school he was also that person. He had one friend back then but he also apparently moved to another city. Woohyun can't remember that person anymore but he only knew that this one person always was the one sticking up for him, well until he went away and had to leave him behind. That friendship only lasted for a few months but Woohyun still won't forget those times. Ever since he was left behind, he was scared of change and abandonment. Fortunately he made friends with Myungsoo very soon and for some reason the guy invited him into his group of friends and so he became close friends with Myungsoo and Howon at that point. But the thing that troubled him ever since that first day he stepped into the school, was the very familiar atmosphere. There was this one guy who may have got into trouble with a teacher back then and was told to show the new guy the school. This guy's presence made him feel weird and for some reason he felt so close to him that he could have reached out but stopped, because after all they didn't know each other. Woohyun often dreamed of that person and other times he got flashbacks of his childhood but he couldn't get the hang of it. This guy was said Kim Sunggyu and for some reason he liked him. He knew long ago that that person forgot about him because after all, it was only a chore the teacher gave to him and it was years ago, so why would he remember? 
Myungsoo, Woohyun and Howon were the most popular students at school. They had good grades and almost every girl fawned after them. They were even active on many sports, counting to the said jocks. It was nice for Woohyun, he liked the attention, the few hookups, the admiration from teachers and everything that counted to it. He liked his high school life and he was sure he would like his college life too but there was one thing that made him uncomfortable, really uncomfortable. His friends were bully's and ever since high school he got the taste of being on himself, even though he was the one getting bullied a long time ago. He wasn't as severe as Myungsoo or Howon but he was just there all the time, not helping but laughing and that was enough. It wasn't like he liked it, not at all, he always had this foul feeling sitting at the end of his stomach but for Woohyun that was just how things were. He got used to it, even though he doesn't want to admit. His two closest friends were bullies but they were good friends to him and Woohyun was just scared to get abandoned. 


Woohyun had everything someone would dearly wish for. Popular friends, good grades, a handsome face, a good body, girls swooning over him and to top it off, his parents were indeed rich but Woohyun wasn't the type to show off, at all. He was more of the quiet type anyway.


He had all that, but he wasn't happy. He thought it was because he was lonely so he had girlfriend after girlfriend, hookups after hookups. At some point during his last year at high school, he realized that all those girls were no cure to his loneliness and that no matter how nice or beautiful those girls were, none of them were making him truly happy.

"Myung? Can I ask you something?" Woohyun quietly asked. Myungsoo turned his head away from the paper and looked at him expressionless. "Hm?" Woohyun looked at the other. "Are..are you happy?" Myungsoo looked at him confused. "What do you mean?" The black haired guy sat up from his bed, "Are you happy? Like, are you truly happy with your life?" Myungsoo started to laugh, "Of course I am! Why? Are you not? You should be Nam, we have everything others wish for so what's the problem?" Woohyun looked at the ground, not able to answer back. Myungsoo sat up from his chair and walked towards his friends bed, sitting beside him and putting an arm around his shoulders. "Don't look like that Woohyun. We are still young! Don't be so depressed!" Woohyun lightly smiled. Myungsoo came closer and smirked at the other. "Should we go for a drink? I'm sure that will cheer you up!" The other boy only chuckled, "Myungsoo, it's too late." The boy stood up, excited. "It's never too late to go drinking!"
And they did go drinking.


The next morning was terrible for Woohyun. Why did he even agree to it? He had to admit, it kinda helped him through his existencial crisis but he's still not sure if it was really worth it. His headache was killing him and he couldn't concentrate at all. He was sure he would scream at his professor any second, telling him to shut up, but he tries to keep his calm. All of a sudden a knock is being heard and the door opened, reveiling Sunggyu with immense bed hair and dark circles. He bowed several times and the professor just sent him off, telling him to sit himself on a free chair. To Woohyun's luck the only chair that was empty, was the one beside him. Nor Myungsoo or Howon took this class with him so he was basically alone and no one dared sitting beside him because the guys found him intimidating and the girls were too shy. Woohyun liked to have his space and peace anyways so he really didn't mind, especially this morning. 


Sunggyu looked at the seat and then at Woohyun, expressionless, and then made his way towards it, sitting himself beside the guy with the black hair. Woohyun didn't really care but he had to admit that he did find it brave from him that he just didn't care and Woohyun found that guy strangely interesting anyway.
"Hello." Sunggyu said, quietly. Woohyun was caught off guard but greeting the other back. 


This class seemed to never end for Woohyun and he was sure he'll explode at any minute, or at least his head. He was way to tired to even write something down but his seatmate diligently made notes, despite being too late or looking like he just crawled out of bed. Woohyun noticed those dark circles, the messy brown hair and the stubbles from his beard he forgot to shave this morning or didn't have time to shave. He also noticed how smooth his skin still looked and how sharp his jaw was, the way those guys lips were curved and the sculpted nose, the brown bangs reaching to the guys small yet unique eyes and the way his head lightly bobbed while listening to their professor. He noticed how familiar those features were to him. He noticed too much.


"Do I have something on my face?" Sunggyu said, his face turning slightly to the other. Woohyun was caught off guard and he didn't even realise himself that he was staring at the other. Woohyun hectically shook his head and turned away. He mumbled under the hem of his hoodie, "No, sorry." Sunggyu nodded understandingly and turned his attention back to the lesson. Woohyun felt his cheeks redden and something at his heart tugged. He was sure that he knew that guy from somewhere and he was definetely going to ask him after class.


Sunggyu put his textbooks back in his bag, not sparing a glance to the guy looking at him. When the guy wanted to get up, Woohyun stopped the other. "Uhm..wait a second please Sunggyu. I wanted to ask you something." Sunggyu stopped in his tracks, expectedly. "Do we know each other by chance? I feel like we've known each other from somewhere." Sunggyu lightly nodded his head, thinking for a second. "Yeah we've went to the same high school." Woohyun shook his head, "Not that..I know that already. I feel like somewhere else, maybe?" Sunggyu tilted his head, "Maybe from when I showed you the school..now I remember." "Oh, you do actually remember? I thought you forgot..but well, that ones not it either." Sunggyu frowned, "Well, I don't know then. I think you must've mistook me for someone else." Woohyun kept his gaze low. "Are you sure? I really feel like-" he got interrupted. "I'm sorry, I don't think so. I have to go to my next class so..see you around?" Woohyun slightly nodded, "Yeah, sure.."


"Guys you don't know what happened today." Sunggyu came closer to his friends, it was quite noisy in the cafeteria and he wouldn't want to scream the news either. "What?" Sungjong blankly said, munching on his broccoli. "Myungsoo's best friend approached me at class today." Sungjong's face changed in curiousness. "What do you mean, 'approached you'?" Sunggyu explained, "He was staring at me really weirdly and he may have thought I didn't notice but I did so after awhile I looked back and he was all weird. Also he asked me if we'd know each other from somewhere." Dongwoo chirped in. "And? Do you?" Sunggyu looked back, dumbfounded. "I told him from high school and that day where I showed him school but he said that wasn't it." "And else?", Sungjong asked. "I kind of got flustered so I told him I had a class to attend and left. It's really weird to think about the fact that I was talking with Myungsoo's best friend!" Sungjong looked at him in disbelief. "You do know that Woohyun is as popular as Myungsoo, right?" Sunggyu retorted, "Yes but he just doesn't seem like that for me, I don't know why. Ever since he mentioned us knowing from somewhere, I keep sensing some familiarity with him but I'm not sure."
Dongwoo and Sungjong were lost in thoughts but then finally realised. The both of them looked at each other in shock and awe. "You don't think-" "Yes." Sungjong replied to his friend. 
Sunggyu looked annoyed. "What? What is it?" His two friends looked at him with a smirk. "You have to figure that out yourself." Sungjong and Dongwoo stood up with their plate and left the cafeteria, leaving Sunggyu speechless. Soon he noticed their absence and quickly got up, feeling puzzled. At his way towards the exit door he stumbled on a few chairs, gaining some attention from other students. Sunggyu was kind of embarrassed and just wanted to get out as soon as possible, when he heard a chuckle behind him. He turned around, seeing Woohyun look at him with a smile. Sunggyu's cheeks flushed and he turned around again, leaving the cafeteria.

 

"Do you know him Woohyun?", Myungsoo asked.
Woohyun slightly smiled. "Kind of."

 

 

 

 


First chapter guys! I really hope you enjoy it~ If you did I'd be very happy over comments and of course if you choose to subscribe to this story! Thank you. 

xx