where it starts

The War
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
one;

 

Asami dreams of a blinding light. She can't turn away from its glow, not even when her eyes burn and water in protest.

The light has a source, she notices. Although it's someone creating it as opposed to something; their hand is held out towards her with the palm up, shining from what appears to be from even under the skin. She can see their silhouette as if she were observing someone sitting on the other side of a campfire. A part of her yearns to see their face, to ask about the light they're emitting.

It's a phenomenon that tugs at her every nerve and impulse. It practically begs her to get closer with its inviting warmth. If she could move, she knows she'd be reaching out towards it. Still, she doesn't. She can't.

The light suddenly flickers and dims. Her heart accelerates as the darkness takes over for longer periods of time each time the shine gives way to its power. The air becomes heavier, more foreboding. There's a churning in her stomach that reminds her of freefalling and seems to constrict.

Finally, she realizes that she can move, but it's much too late. Just as she throws herself towards the figure before her, the light disappears.

Then, nothing.

--

"You look like you've seen hell." Is the first sentence Asami hears upon seating herself in her first class.

Her eyes roll and she promptly ignores the statement in favor of lying her head on the desk. She's sure he has a point, but there's no reason for her to agree, either. For a second, her mind wanders back to a bright light and a pang resounds in her chest.

"I've seen things, but hell isn't one of them," she sighs in resignation. Her voice is muffled by the arm she's using as a pillow. "Thank you for the compliment, though. I'm sure you're great with the ladies."

Jaehwan snorts and slaps his notebook onto his desk. "You and I both know that's extremely true, but seriously. No sleep again?"

"I slept," comes her weak argument.

"Then why do you look so tired?" As expected, he's on her wavelength - immune to her snarky attitude and ability to dodge questions she doesn't want to completely acknowledge.

Asami lifts her head at her friend and whips a pencil at him. He narrowly avoids it, but doesn't let the attack distract him as he stares at her with a raised brow. 

"I never said I slept well." She allows herself a shrug before dropping her head back to its original position. "Besides, since when do I ever sleep well?"

The male goes silent because she has a point. Ever since he met her during their first year at the university, she always seemed to be tired. Although that never affected her headstrong personality, days like today remind him that even she can't put up a front forever. There's a lot he figures he doesn't know about her, despite having been her friend for almost a year. He's learned not to pry. It's easier for both of them that way.

Instead, Jaehwan settles for patting the top of her head and smiles when she h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter