Closing the Gap

Playing Cupid

Jaebum takes full responsibility for the current situation of two of s. He didn't actually think that a banana peel would work but hey, it was worth a shot. And now Mark was in the warm and safe arms of Jackson. Yep, it's all going according to the great Im Jaebum's plan.

Mark wasn't at all surprised when he found out Jackson came to the rescue once again. In fact, he's getting more and more irritated. He knows that his bestfriend is just being helpful and all that but sometimes it's getting kind of annoying so Mark tries to study the human being as he holds on to him for life.

I hate you so much. I hate that you come to my rescue every freaking time. I hate that you have a very handsome face. I hate that you have beautiful brown eyes. I hate that you have soft kissable lips--

"Yi En, are you alright?" Jackson voices out his concerns to the older, ultimately stopping his train of thoughts and any attempts to lean anymore closer. Jackson strongly resisted the urge to just close the gap between them and kiss him but he thought the consequences would be severe.

Mark turned red as a ripe tomato and quickly straightened himself up. He made a beeline towards their shared room, hoping that the loud sound of the door closing would be a sufficient sign that he wants to be alone. As he frustratingly flopped face first on his bed after crashing the door recklessly, he pondered to himself, "Was I seriously trying to kiss my own bestfriend?"

Mark starts to contemplate on his own thoughts and then he slaps himself for even thinking about possibly liking his bestfriend. He really thinks he had slight trauma from the fall a while ago because he feels like going insane. To regain his sanity, he reminded himself out loud that he doesn't like Jackson and that he's helping him get together with Bambam. In fact, he should be proud of himself because they were going on a date this weekend. Somehow those last words left a bitter taste on Mark's tongue (but he convinced himself it was probably just something he ate earlier).

The object of Mark's confusion was left standing agape at the dining room trying to think of something that he did terribly wrong to elicit that kind of reaction from Mark. Truthfully, Jackson just wants to bust their door open and confront Mark straightforwardly but he's too much of a coward for something like that. So he seeks for Jaebum's advice and he also tries to ask Jinyoung if he could stay in his room for the night.

The next morning, Mark noticed that Jackson didn't sleep in their room. He kind of felt sad but thought that it was probably for the best. Then realization dawned on him, "I'll be with Jackson the whole day today."

Mark panicked and looked at the clock, 6:45 am. It's almost time for breakfast and he didn't know what to do. Should he just act normal? But he can't possibly do that now. After thinking for a while, he decided to just avoid Jackson. He knows it'll be slightly awkward and the members will probably notice but he will try his best. He just can't seem to face Jackson normally anymore.

The odds were not in Mark's favor as they had dance practice today but he wasn't about to let that get to him. Mission: Jackson = Plague (as he liked to call it) was set to take off and he was determined for absolute success. But what he didn't know is their great leader was already conspiring against him. Operation: MarkSon4ever is well under way. (just to set the record straight, jb didn't agree to this horrendous name jackson suggested) 

As soon as Mark peeks out the door, the battlefield in his mind starts. He squints his eyes and calculates the time it takes to get a bowl of cereal and then go back to the room as quickly as possible. He carefully formulates and chooses any excuse that could be given in reasoning for his eating isolation. But all that planning crashed and burned when the leader suddenly invited him to breakfast.

"Yah, Mark. Grab a bowl of cereal with me," Jaebum stood still in front of the door ever so slightly putting his foot forward blocking any chances of escape that even closing the door is not an option. With an uncharacteristic smile plastered on his usually stone-face, Mark thinks Jaebum has something planned but no idea of what it could be.

"Umm, yeah. Sure." Slowly, he creeps outside the room and watches as Jaebum goes and prepares cereal for the both of them. Now, Mark is sure that Jaebum definitely has other plans.

Jackson comes out of Jinyoung's room and they meet eyes for a second but both instantly dodged, moving slightly faster to whatever they were going to do. Mark busies himself with getting fresh milk from the fridge while Jackson turns on the TV for morning cartoons. Mark can't help thinking of that fraction of a second where Jackson's eyes held pain and sorrow. He can't help blaming himself for bringing him that look in his eyes.

But what could he do? He knows that the feelings he harbors for him aren't right. Jackson's object of interest should be Bambam. Mark tells himself to calm down and just get through this day. 

Everyone is now fully awake and alert inside the dance studio. It's time to practice for their upcoming comeback and there's no room for error as the date draws nearer. So far, Mark hasn't had to worry about being too obvious in avoiding Jackson because although there is internal conflict, you still have to remain a certain amount of professionalism.

After 5 rounds of practicing non-stop, the whole team is completely tired. They reach for their water bottles and find their own places to sit on. However, still standing uprightly on the dance floor is Jackson Wang repeatedly doing the routine. It seems that he's stuck on some parts and can't quite get it right.

The maknaes went to a nearby convenience store to get refreshments so the remaining people in the studio are Mark, Jinyoung, Jaebum and Jackson. Jinyoung was flat out dead on the ground and Jaebum was busy manipulating something with the music. Nobody is left to teach Jackson the proper steps but Mark and this was the leader's plan all along.

Mission: Jackson = Plague slowly crumbled at every step Mark took towards Jackson. He's still not able to resist when his bestfriend is in need. Unknowingly, Mark walked right into Jaebum's trap.

"Need help, Jia Er?" As he said these words, Jackson stumbled on his steps and tripped to the ground. They looked at each other and shared big laughs. Just like they used to before the whole cupid game began.

Mark extends a hand to help Jackson stand up but from some external force (jinyoung slightly elbowing him from behind) he also tripped himself and once again he's in the strong arms of his bestfriend. But this time the gap was closed and their lips collided. Both surprised and turning beet red, both too shocked to step away from each other.

At that specific moment, y tango music played from the speakers. Courtesy of the great Im Jaebum, of course. Everything he planned had fallen into place.

Operation: MarkSon4ever is a complete success.