The First Snow

Stuck In Love

____________________________

 

It had been exactly one week since Chaeyoung had last spoken to Mina. She didn’t want to admit it but she was keeping track by the hour. No words can describe the loss of someone in your life so important to you that it's like they're a part of you. Not seeing Mina, sharing her weird and vivid dreams with the girl, her grievances with the world, and her embarrassing day to day stories, left Chaeyoung feeling like she wasn’t whole. She sulked around like a machine, functioning at a minimum.

 

Tzuyu tried her best to cheer Chaeyoung up, watching some of their favorite dramas together and even reenacting their favorite memes, but it wasn’t enough. She couldn’t fill the void Mina had left and Tzuyu hated Mina for it. Tzuyu knew she’d have to confront the older girl at some point, because she could no longer stand to see her best friend moving through life like a zombie. Tzuyu texted the older girl that they should meet for coffee after she got out of school.

Mina walked into the Starbucks knowing she was about to be scolded by Tzuyu. She knew she deserved it, but dreaded it anyway. She’d felt guilty enough about having to break Chaeyoung’s heart, but having feelings for Nayeon complicated things even more. She’d wanted to explain everything to Chaeyoung but she didn’t even know how her feelings had developed herself. One day she liked Chaeyoung, the next she liked Nayeon.

After a few formalities, Tzuyu got right to it. “You know she’s barely even eating, right? She’s not focusing in class. She’s not even drawing! All she does is listen to sad songs and stare up at her ceiling like she’s gonna find you up there.”

Mina avoided Tzuyu’s eyes, tightening her grip around her styrofoam coffee cup and feeling the warmth spread through her body. If looks could kill...Mina knew she’d be dead. RIP. “I’ve wanted to talk to her,” Mina admitted. “But I thought it’d only make things worse. Space can be the best solution…”

“At least give her some sort of explanation!” Tzuyu roared. “You like someone else? How could that happen all of the sudden? I’ve seen the way you look at her, so I know…” It’s the same look I’ve seen Sana giving Dahyun and Nayeon giving Jeongyeon (and the same look I know I give Chaeyoung when I'm not careful).

“I don’t understand it myself. You think I wanted to hurt her?” Mina asked, knuckles turning white. “I might not love her, but she still means the world to me. I want her to be happy.”

“You led her on for so long. I always knew this would happen. I knew—”

“Frankly, you don’t know anything,” Mina snapped. Maybe that wasn’t true. Maybe Tzuyu did know exactly what was going on. But Mina didn’t want to hear this from the girl sitting across from her right now. She took a breath, seeing Tzuyu’s eyes narrow. “I’m sorry,” Mina replied, hanging her head. She lifted her coffee cup and stared at the thin layer of moisture it left on the wooden countertop; a circular mark that would disappear in a few minutes, leaving behind no trace it ever existed.

“I’d do anything to make Chaeyoung happy, you know that, don’t you?” Tzuyu asked. “Seeing her like this pains me.” Mina could see the despair in Tzuyu’s eyes and she knew the younger girl was being sincere.

“I’ll talk to her in time. Her heart will heal itself. Hearts are meant to break and rebuild themselves again. It’s what they do.” Mina stood up and gave Tzuyu a sorrowful look. “In the meantime, please do me one favor. Be there for her. Give her the love she deserves, okay?” Mina pleaded. Tears were welling up in her eyes and beautiful, sculptedly fragile Tzuyu was blurring through her distorted vision.

All Tzuyu could do was nod and swallow as Mina walked out the door.


 

Sana couldn’t avoid school anymore. She’d emailed her professors that a friend would be by to collect her homework today. She trudged through the college campus, feeling self-conscious and paranoid in her oversized hoodie and leggings. People would recognize Momo for sure, so Sana had to keep her head down and just keep walking. She could find a quiet place somewhere to start completing her homework while she waited for Nayeon to be done with classes. She knew Nayeon was done by 3PM. She’d confront her in their room then.

Luckily she’d made it to her professors’ offices without a single word from anyone else. “Sana’s still not doing well,” she told her psych professor.

“Poor thing,” the professor tsked. “Well, hopefully she won’t fall too far behind. If not, Momo, you might need to lend your friend a hand. You did well in the class.” So Momo had the same professor in the past? Sana simply smiled sheepishly and nodded.

She began speed walking to the back entrance of the library—to the fifth floor where no one would bother her. But she was getting quite hungry...maybe she’d just stop at the cafe real quick and grab a snack before she got started on her work...

“Hey, Momo!” a voice yelled, and Sana stopped in her tracks and groaned. “Hey!” the voice called again and she turned around to face the body the voice belonged to. Of course it was Jeongyeon.

“Hi,” Sana replied.

“Where are you headed?”

“To grab a snack and head to the library,” Sana answered. She shifted her weight from foot to foot anxiously.

“Don’t you have class next period?”

“Um, it got cancelled,” Sana lied.

“Hm.” Jeongyeon didn’t look convinced but she had no reason to question the girl in front of her. Funny, she could’ve sworn Momo was wearing something different this morning. Maybe she went to the gym and changed?

“Well, I better get going. See you at home,” Sana chirped and quickly headed off. Jeongyeon watched her go, shrugged, and then continued on her way to go meet Nayeon, who she was going to eat lunch with.

Sana pulled up her hood and walked vigorously. Hopefully no one else would recognize her. Maybe she didn’t think this through enough...but hey, she was just trying to be a good student. She grabbed a wrap from the cafe and trudged toward the library with determination. Almost there...almost there…

SMACK.

“Ehhhhhhhh!” a girl made a high pitched screaming noise at the sudden impact. But she quickly recovered and bowed her head, apologizing profusely.

“Sorry,” Sana cried, bowing her head as well, right at the same moment. SMACK. Her head collided with the other girl’s head.

“Ow!” they both cried out in unison and Sana took a step back.

Sana looked up at the girl and opened to apologize again but froze when she saw who the other girl was. It was Momo, in the flesh. The real one. She nearly jumped out of her skin.

Momo was slower to look up, and by the time her eyes raised off the ground Sana quickly pulled her hood down over her face as best she could. Thank god she was wearing an oversized hoodie. “I’m sorry!” Sana cried out in an octave lower than usual, making her voice sound strangely gravely and unnatural. She quickly ducked past Momo and began running away.

Momo spun around and watched the girl go with a look of annoyance and confusion on her face. She rubbed her forehead where it had collided with the other girl's head and let the gears in her mind spin. That girl had been awfully rude. And that face she had seen underneath her hood for a brief second had looked awfully familiar…

No, that’s not possible, Momo thought to herself. You’re just seeing things. She put her earbuds back in and continued on her way to her next class which she was already late to.


 

Nayeon made arrangements to eat lunch with Jeongyeon. She was bold and texted her on a whim, and Jeongyeon had agreed. During the lunch period they met in the quad outside of the business building, unpacking their lunchboxes. “You’re just full of surprises,” Jeongyeon smirked as she watched Nayeon open a nachos lunchable.

Nayeon simply shrugged. “I was feeling extra lazy this morning and nachos are far superior to the disgusting pizza ones.”

After a few moments of awkward silence, Nayeon cleared . “The truth is, I wanted to talk to you about something. I wanted to get some advice.”

“Is this about Mina?” Jeongyeon asked suddenly, eyes looking wide and knowing behind her circular glasses.

Nayeon looked up from her salsa in surprise, feeling constrict at the sound of Mina’s name. “N-no, why would you think that?”

“I’ve seen the two of you hanging out a lot more than before. And normally I study with Mina after class but she’s declined me a few times. I figured it was because of you.”

Nayeon swallowed loudly and patted the corners of with a napkin. “Things are complicated,” the older girl admitted. “But what I was going to ask was, what if someone started liking you because of a lie? You didn’t mean to lie, but it happened. And they’re happy because of this lie...actually you’re both very happy. I mean, this is all hypothetically speaking of course. I know it’s selfish, but if I’m—if you’re happy because of it, is it so terrible for you to let the moment linger a bit? Especially if you know the second they know the truth that everything will fall apart?”

“Sounds like you’re in a pickle,” Jeongyeon mused.

“I said this is all hypothetical,” Nayeon reiterated, drawing her brows together.

“Yeah, yeah,” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. Nayeon huffed and Jeongyeon smirked slightly. “Alright, well is it selfish? Yeah. Does it make you—er, the person in this "hypothetical situation"—a terrible person? Not really. We all want to be happy. Who knows, I might even do the same thing if that were me. But let me ask you this: do you care about this person?”

“Yes.” Nayeon didn’t even hesitate.

“Then you know the right thing to do. You need to tell her. If it’s all a lie then you’re just taking advantage of her. If you care about her you’ll let her go.”

Nayeon knew Jeongyeon was right. She sighed as she stared up at the cloudy grey sky. “Thank you,” she replied.

“Anytime you want some hypothetical advice, hit me up.” Jeongyeon teased.

After school, Nayeon would go to Irene’s house to get help from the High Priestess. If anyone could help her, it was Irene.

 

Nayeon drove out to Irene’s house after texting her that she’d be stopping by. Irene greeted her warmly at the door and let her inside. The two of them sat down in the living room in front of a warm fireplace Irene loved to keep going during the day, despite it being quite warm outside.

“So what do you need to ask me?” Irene inquired. It was clear Nayeon had gotten herself into some kind of trouble. It must’ve been serious, or else Nayeon would have never come.

“Let me just start off by saying you look really pretty today!” Nayeon chirped, flashing her smile at Irene. “But then again, you always look pretty.”

Irene simply rolled her eyes, accustomed to Nayeon’s flattery. “Alright, spill it. What did you do this time?”

Nayeon straightened up and took a breath. “I may have...accidentally casted a love spell on the wrong person. And now I can’t figure out how to undo it.” Nayeon steeled herself for Irene’s wrath, leaning backward in her seat.

Instead of breathing fire, Irene simply sighed. “You think you’re the first girl to try that around here? Ah, there’s a reason those spells aren’t recommended. They should just be taken out of spell books completely.”

“I know, I know,” Nayeon replied. “Do you know how to fix it?”

Irene pressed her lips together and nodded. “There is one thing that can undo many different spells. A true love’s kiss.”

“True love’s kiss? Seriously?” Nayeon looked at Irene incredulously.

Irene shrugged. “We’re witches. Do you really think fairy tales are that far-fetched?”

“Fair point,” Nayeon said, hugging herself tightly, giving herself some desperately needed moral support. “So I just need to get Mina and Chaeyoung to kiss somehow,” Nayeon blurted out, but then quickly covered . That is assuming Mina really does love Chaeyoung...

“You did it to Mina?” Irene asked, a bit of anger flashing beneath her eyes. “That poor girl!” Irene had always had a soft spot for Mina because of their similar personalities. Both of them were very reserved and oddly competitive.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to! At least it wasn’t cast on a human, right?” Nayeon suggested. Irene continued to stare coldly back at Nayeon and Nayeon sighed.

“Be honest with Mina,” Irene advised. “About everything. She deserves to know.”

“Okay,” Nayeon replied. Her chest felt like it was bleeding. “I will. Thank you, Irene.”

Irene smiled at the girl. “Anytime. But I better not hear anything else about your coven in the near future. Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago when your other incident happened? I swear you four somehow manage to get into the most trouble.”

Nayeon’s eyes widened. “Wait? You...you know about that?”

Irene simply continued to smile at the girl. “I know everything.” The older girl winked. But more seriously, she said: “and a little birdie might have told me.”

“Jihyo,” Nayeon muttered under her breath. “Alright, see you later!” And Nayeon was out the door. She texted Mina that she needed to talk to her alone as soon as she got back.

 


“Mina, I have to tell you something.”

Mina was sitting on Nayeon’s bed, with her legs curled up cutely, looking up at Nayeon obediently like a puppy. This made what Nayeon had to say even harder. She in a breath and closed her eyes, counting to three.

“What is it?” Mina asked, worry racking her voice. She reached forward and grabbed Nayeon’s hand for support.

Nayeon opened her eyes and looked down at Mina. “Everything you’re feeling right now...it’s all a lie.”

Mina dropped her hand and stared back at her with a quizzical expression.

“I made a love potion for Jeongyeon and put it in that cupcake you ate. It was never meant for you. I tried my best to stop you from eating it...but it was too late. I’m so sorry.” Nayeon held her breath, searching for a reaction from Mina.

Mina was silent for a moment, lost in thought, before she finally said: “it’s okay.”

Nayeon was baffled. “I...enchanted you, Mina. I took you away from Chaeyoung. It’s not okay.”

Mina shook her head, reaching for Nayeon’s hand. “Nayeon.” The girl stepped back though, avoiding her touch. “Nayeon,” Mina said again, pleading. “Sit down.” She motioned to the empty spot on the bed beside her and Nayeon obeyed without a word, looking miserable.

“I don’t care,” Mina said, taking both of Nayeon’s hands in her own and looking at Nayeon with such a look of endearment that Nayeon felt sick. Nayeon wasn’t ever meant to see that. That look from Mina was never meant to be directed at her, anyway. “I’m happy. I’ve never been happier. Nayeon, you make me so happy.” Mina’s voice was an almost-whisper in the end, and Nayeon was forced to turn away, choking down a sob.

“I don’t care if it started because of a potion,” Mina continued. “That doesn’t mean what I’m feeling right now isn’t real, because it is. Nayeon, I—”

“Mina, stop,” Nayeon begged. “Everything you’re saying right now, it’s not you. The spell is clouding your mind so badly that you can’t think straight.”

Mina frowned, looking hurt. Nayeon dropped her hands and swallowed loudly. “You have to kiss Chaeyoung to break the spell. It’s the only way.”

“Haven’t you liked this past week? You didn't enjoy yourself when we were together? Did I do something wrong?”

Nayeon bit her lip, staring at Mina, who looked so vulnerable and innocent that she looked like a child. “Of course you didn’t do anything wrong. And I’ve enjoyed our time together, every moment. That’s why you have to break the spell.”

“I don’t understand,” Mina replied, eyebrows furrowing. “Don’t you...care about me?”

Nayeon sighed, covering her face with her hands for a moment before she dropped them. “I do Mina...I do, so much. And that’s why I can’t bear to do this to you any longer. I can imagine us together, happy, but you never chose this, you never wanted this. I can’t be selfish enough to let this go on.”

Mina was silent, and Nayeon could sense tears were on the way. Nayeon moved forward, so that she was closer to the younger girl. “It’s not fair to you,” Nayeon continued. “I know you liked Chaeyoung, so much, and she likes you too. This whole thing probably hurt her so badly.”

Mina began to sniffle and nodded her head. “I know...I know it did…” she whispered.

“I need to make things right and set you free.”

Mina looked at Nayeon, eyes shining with tears threatening to spill over. “Nayeon, I love you,” she whispered. And this time Nayeon broke, body convusling with sobs. The two girls held each other for a moment, both crying.

“Nayeon...I can’t…” Mina pulled away and wiped her eyes. “I can’t do what you’re asking, not when I…” Even knowing that her love for Nayeon wasn’t real, she still felt it, and kissing Chaeyoung would go against every ounce of her being. Funny that there was a time when she wanted nothing more than to do that.

Nayeon sighed, but she understood. She had a feeling it would be this way. Mina was incredibly loyal. But Nayeon had a plan, to save Mina the strife. “Mina, I have a plan. I know I could never ask you to do that having gotten you into this mess in the first place,” she replied. “I’m going to fix everything. You just need to trust me and relax.”

Mina’s eyes widened, confused, but before she could say anything Nayeon placed a hand to Mina’s forehead and the younger girl took a deep breath before her eyes fluttered and she fell back onto the bed, asleep. Nayeon placed herself on the bed beside Mina, taking a moment to look at the girl, who looked peaceful, before she whispered a familiar spell and Nayeon’s eyes closed too. After a few seconds, Mina jolted upward with wide eyes. She blinked a few times before looking over at Nayeon beside her.

“I’m sorry,” Mina whispered looking at Nayeon again, before getting up slowly, grabbing the car keys on Nayeon’s desk, before closing the door softly behind her.

Mina stopped in her room and fumbled around in search of her license. She found it after a minute and quickly headed out the door. She drove Nayeon’s car to Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Tzuyu’s dorm. Taking the steps up to their room nearly two at a time, Mina stopped in front of their door and stared at it with a bit of fear and dread across her face.

Mina raised her hand and knocked. Once. Twice. Loudly. She stepped back and waited. A surprised Chaeyoung answered, eyes widening at the sight of Mina. “Uh…”

“Are you alone?” Mina asked.

Chaeyoung merely blinked, confused.

“Are Tzuyu and Dahyun in there too?” Mina replied, clarifying. Clearly anxious.

Chaeyoung shook her head and Mina quickly pushed past Chaeyoung into the room. “Mina, what are you…?” The last time Chaeyoung had seen Mina, the older girl had broken her heart. In fact, Chaeyoung was spending her alone time trying to do everything in her power to get the girl out of her head. Now, here she was, in front of her.

“I’m sorry for coming unannounced, but there’s something I need to do,” Mina explained. Her arms were crossed and she looked a bit uncomfortable. “I’m going to kiss you,” she declared.

Chaeyoung froze, mouth open, with no intelligent response coming to mind. “W-what?” she finally stammered. They hadn’t actually kissed yet, other than Mina kissing her cheek the same day the body-switching incident occurred.

Mina scoffed and rolled her eyes. She moved forward in an instant, closing her eyes, and met Chaeyoung’s lips with her own. It lasted briefly, Chaeyoung never closing her eyes while Mina made a strange face before pulling back. She turned away for a moment before looking back at Chaeyoung. “Okay,” Mina replied, and nodded to herself, satisified. She took a step toward the door.

“Mina!” Chaeyoung nearly yelled, stepping in front of her and blocking her path.

Mina sighed. “I’m, um, sorry for what happened...?” her head tilted slightly. “I’ll explain everything later, I promise, I just need to get Mi—” she paused with open. “I mean I need to get myself home. I’ll be back later—”

Chaeyoung shook her head and crossed her arms. “Oh no you don’t. You just can’t come in here, do that, and leave!”

“I’m...I’m sorry Chaeyoung, I wish I could explain…” Mina nervously bit her finger nail.

Chaeyoung watched her carefully, with scrutiny on her face. She’d never seen Mina bite her nails before, but she knew a few other people who did. If she hadn’t been exposed to the world of witches before, Chaeyoung probably would’ve believed Mina had just developed a new habit. But now, with Mina, who she hadn’t spoken to in days, storming into her apartment just to kiss her and leave, Chaeyoung knew something was up. “You’re not Mina, are you?” Chaeyoung asked.

Mina dropped her hand and her eyes widened. She opened to argue but must’ve decided against it. “No,” she eventually sighed. She nervously ran a hand through her hair, suddenly becoming extremely self-conscious. “I’m sorry Chaeyoung, but if you give me a few minutes I’ll make sure she’s here, really here…”

“Who are you?” Chaeyoung asked, brow furrowing.

“Nayeon,” Mina—Nayeon whispered. “I didn’t want to do this. Trust me,” she explained as a look of horror filled Chaeyoung's face. “Look, I messed up. Mina accidentally ingested a love potion I made that was intended for Jeongyeon,” the girl admitted.

Chaeyoung’s brow furrowed further.

“That’s why Mina might have been acting....strange lately,” Nayeon continued with Mina’s voice. “I’m not sure exactly what she told you but she hasn’t been herself since then and it’s my fault. I’m trying to fix it. Having her kiss you was the only way to undo the spell. But, she wouldn’t do it. You know how stubborn she is...so…”

“So what? You body switched with her to kiss me yourself?” Chaeyoung asked, voice rising. “But you’re not really Mina, so how could that even work?”

“It’s a loophole,” Nayeon explained. “Or at least I think it is,” Nayeon threw her arms up. “I didn’t know what else to do...I guess when I get home I’ll find out if it worked.”

“Nayeon, I can’t believe…”

“I know, I know,” she sighed. “I messed up again. But this time I really hurt you. And for that I’m truly sorry. I’m trying to make this right, even though I can never really make it up to you.”

“Does Mina know the truth?” Chaeyoung asked. “Did you tell her?”

“Yes, she knows everything. She’ll probably wanna kill me when she wakes up.”

“You’re lucky you’re not dead already,” Chaeyoung replied, only half-joking. Words couldn’t describe how mad she was at the older girl.

Under Chaeyoung’s intense gaze, Nayeon felt the pit of her stomach drop. Chaeyoung had every right to make her feel guilty, after how royally she’d screwed up this time. “I better go wake her up now.” Nayeon quickly side stepped around Chaeyoung and headed out the door. “I’ll text you,” Nayeon assured. “Well, at least Mina will, when she’s awake.” Chaeyoung watched wordlessly as the girl walked down the hallway and disappeared out the door to the stairwell.

 

On her way to her car, Nayeon heard a familiar voice calling Mina’s name, nearly causing her to jump a foot in the air. She spun around to see Jeongyeon running after her with an obnoxious smile on her face. Jeongyeon was clearly very amused by the fact that she’d made the girl she thought was Mina jump. Meanwhile, Nayeon was silently screaming on the inside. Of course, at the worst possible time, she’d run into Jeongyeon. This was just her luck.

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon asked, and Jeongyeon faked offense.

“What, no hello?” she joked, but after seeing Nayeon clearly wasn’t amused she coughed. “I just dropped off Tzuyu and Dahyun,” Jeongyeon said, pointing to the two, who were making their way back into their dorm building. “I took them out for a bit so Chaeyoung would have some space…” her voice trailed off, clearly having remembered who she was talking to, or rather, who she thought she was talking to.

Nayeon simply nodded in understanding, but she must’ve looked somewhat distraught, because Jeongyeon asked: “Are you doing alright?”

Nayeon nodded, perhaps a bit too enthusiastically. “Yeah, of course,” she insisted. “Just...visiting Chaeyoung.”

Jeongyeon crossed her arms and gave Nayeon a look which suggested she didn’t believe a word she said. “You know you can talk to me, right? I don’t understand what happened between you and Chaeyoung but…”

Nayeon sighed, trying to think of something to say. She couldn’t tell Jeongyeon that Mina was influenced by a love potion. “I...just needed some space.”

“So you needed space but you’re already with Nayeon?” Jeongyeon asked, giving her a knowing look.

Nayeon’s eyes widened in horror. “No!” she exclaimed, taking Jeongyeon off guard a bit. “I’m not with Nayeon,” she assured, feeling her cheeks flaming. “I don’t like her…”

“Uh-huh,” Jeongyeon mused.

“I like Chaeyoung,” Nayeon continued. “I wanna be with her.”

“You’re sure?” Jeongyeon asked. She was giving her a strange look.

“Absolutely,” Nayeon replied, shaking her head. She was pretty sure that’s what Mina wanted, anyway. She wouldn’t have Jeongyeon believing that she was dating Mina. Technically she kind of was for a bit (selfishly) dating Mina, but Nayeon had ended that today.

“Okay, good to know,” Jeongyeon said, adjusting her glasses. Good to know? For what reason? Nayeon bit her lip and realized she shouldn’t let this opportunity go to waste. After all, when was she gonna be able to talk to Jeongyeon as Mina again?

“Not that there’s anything wrong with Nayeon,” Nayeon sputtered. “I mean, she’s really pretty, and smart, and kind, and—”

“Okay, either Nayeon paid you to say that, or you’re totally crushing on her,” Jeongyeon declared, smiling slightly.

Nayeon covered , looking offended, and shook her head. “No, I’m being serious! Anyone would be lucky to date her. It would be a privilege!” She wanted to slap the smug look off of Jeongyeon’s face.

Jeongyeon continued to smile a condescending smile. “Whatever you say.”

“Ugh!” Nayeon couldn’t help but cry out. Jeongyeon was infuriating her. But then at Jeongyeon’s strange expression Nayeon quickly masked her emotions. “I mean, um, why do you not like Nayeon?”

“I never said I don’t like her. I just like to , that’s all,” Jeongyeon admitted.

That sparked a small amount of hope in Nayeon. “You know, they say when you tease someone that means you like them.”

“That’s something people tell schoolgirls to convince them to excuse boys’ immature behavior,” Jeongyeon muttered, but she clearly looked a bit flustered. Nayeon’s eyes were widening, and she could feel her heart-rate increasing. She began to smile, absent-mindly.

“Sometimes you act so weird,” Jeongyeon concluded.

“What do you mean?”

Jeongyeon shook her head. She squinted, as if staring at Nayeon with more focus. Nayeon stared back. “At the diner when we went out for breakfast a few weeks ago...and now...it’s almost like you’re…” her voice trailed off. “Nevermind. I gotta get back to my apartment to start some homework. See you at school?”

A burning curiosity plagued Nayeon but she knew she shouldn’t press. “Yeah, see you at school.”

Nayeon gave Jeongyeon a small wave before she headed to her car, watching Jeongyeon pull out of the parking lot before she drove away.

 

When Nayeon made it back to the apartment she stealthily snuck through the first floor and up the stairs to her room. She was ready to wake Mina up and switch back to normal. However, when she opened the door, she found Momo standing at Sana’s desk, flipping through...her book of magic?

Nayeon nearly shouted at the girl’s intrusion, and Momo spun around looking completely guilty as Nayeon stood in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

“Mina…I can explain,” Momo choked. “This isn’t what it looks like!”

“What are you doing here, and why are you looking at that?” Nayeon strode forward and snatched the book from Momo’s hands. Momo flinched at the motion but simply covered her face with her hands.

“It’s me,” Momo hissed. “Sana.”

Nayeon, who was about to whack Momo with the book, suddenly gasped. “Seriously?” she asked. “No way…”

Momo—er—Sana whined. “Yes, it’s me. I’m trying to find a spell that can help me change back, so if you’ll excuse me,” Sana snatched the book back out of Nayeon’s hands. She looked determinedly for another second before she collapsed back on her bed with the book in hand in her normal, dramatic, Sana fashion. “Oh Mina, you gotta help me. I was going to get Nayeon's help but when I came back to the room she was asleep.” Sana motioned to Mina, who was still passed out on Nayeon's bed, in despair.

“Uh,” Nayeon thought for a moment about coming clean about her own situation, but decided she didn’t want Sana to hold it over her. At least she now had something over the younger girl. “Okay, can’t you just say the normal body-switching spell reversal we discovered a few weeks ago?”

“This isn’t body-switching!” Sana cried. “I am Momo now.”

“That makes no sense,” Nayeon stated.

“I...might have said a spell that’d make me the person Dahyun is in love with...I thought that it’d just make her love me...but…” Sana gestured to herself. “I guess she’s been in love with Momo all this time…”

If it weren’t for Sana’s utterly defeated expression, Nayeon would have laughed, but with her own recent misfortunes she felt some sympathy for the younger girl. “Okay, okay, calm down. I’ll look for a spell too. But first, since you’re a total cheater and mess-up, I guess I’ll come clean too.”

That got Sana’s attention. She sat up and tilted her head slightly like a confused dog.

“I’m not Mina,” Nayeon explained. “I’m Nayeon.” Sana’s face contorted into one of pure confusion. “Mina accidentally ate a cupcake with a love potion in it meant for Jeongyeon and I just got back from trying to fix it.”

Sana opened to ask a question but Nayeon waved her arms, indicating for the younger girl to be silent. “Let me just switch back first and I’ll help you. But you should probably give us a minute,” Nayeon nodded to her own body on the bed. “Mina’s probably gonna wanna bite my head off.”

“Okay,” Sana agreed. She hesitantly left the room and closed the door behind her.

Nayeon could feel her heart pounding, staring down at her own body. Despite her nervousness a thought crept into her mind: so that’s what I look like when I sleep? Jeongyeon really is missing out. She took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for an oncoming storm of Mina’s wrath, before she tapped the girl on the forehead and quickly recited the reversal spell she had memorized.

As the spell kicked in, Mina's body stumbled forward, but the girl managed to catch herself at the last minute. Mina was back to being herself and the rush of emotions finally coming back to her felt like a tropical storm. At first she felt anger, then devastation. As Nayeon opened her eyes and sat up, stretching like she’d just taken a cat-nap, Mina sank to the ground, hugging her knees.

All she could think about was Chaeyoung and her heart felt like it was being tugged in twenty different directions. It hurt so badly that tears were already staining the corners of her eyes. Nayeon was beside her in an instant, although she didn’t know what to say to the younger girl.

“You...don’t love me anymore, do you?” Nayeon asked.

Mina groaned, burying her face into her hands. “No,” she mumbled out, barely audible. “Nayeon, what did you do? How could you…”

A little part of Nayeon's heart broke then, but she had a feeling this was coming. “I know, I’m so sorry Mina. So, so, so sorry. I hate myself for doing this to you. And Chaeyoung.”

Mina was trembling a bit. “I can’t believe...the things I said...the things I did…” she groaned again, and Nayeon simply patted the younger girl’s back.

“If it makes you feel any better Chaeyoung knows everything. She doesn’t blame you, all the blame is on me.”

Mina groaned again. “I made such a fool out of myself.” Then, she moved her hands and looked at Nayeon. “Wait...how did you break the spell? What did you do to me earlier, when you made me pass out?” Mina asked this out loud but she already knew the answer. She just wanted Nayeon to be forced to say it.

Nayeon sighed. “Well, you wouldn’t kiss Chaeyoung and that was the only way to break the spell...so…”

Mina jumped up, moving herself away from Nayeon. She put a hand to her lips, absentmindedly. “You know, Chaeyoung and I hadn’t actually kissed yet, right?”

“I...figured,” Nayeon admitted. “Chaeyoung knew it wasn’t really you though, we both got it over quickly. Trust me, I didn’t want to do it but it’s over and done. Oh, also...while I was over there I ran into Jeongyeon…”

Mina moaned again.

______________________

So I've had a large portion of this chapter written for a long time...it was actually the first thing I ever wrote for the fic. Minayeon shippers, don't hate me. Do you think Nayeon will be able to help Sana change back to normal? What do you think Chaeyoung will do now that she knows the only reason why Mina "broke up" with her was because of a potion?