Quarter 1 - Pt. 1

Whatever You Do, Don't Fall For A Freshman

mark - senior
jackson & jb - juniors
jinyoung - sophomore
yugyeom, youngjae, & bambam - freshman

these ages are not their actual ages, because yugyeom would be an eighth grader if mark was a senior, I bumped him up for the story. also, this takes place in america if that wasn't obvious.

~

"High school, here I come!" I stated, adjusting my grip on my backpack straps as I strutted my way towards the large building. I turn back to see why my friends weren't following along.

"I'm just saying that if we choreographed a dance to it, it would do viral." Kat, Yugyeom's girlfriend said. 

     We had all met in seventh grade, Mr. Saylon's mathematics. The teacher was a bald old man so we just talked throughout the whole class. Kat and Yugyeom started dating in eighth, when she made the "huge" decision of going by Kat instead of Katherine. I didn't really care what we called her, as long as she didn't ditch us for her old cheerleading friends. I couldn't be stuck only with Kyum again. Anyways, Yugyeom told her "Awe, Kat. It's cute, just like you.", unintentionally giving up his greatest secret; that he liked her. She responded dearly and they've never been apart. Some thought I would feel like a third wheel, but not really. They all made sure I was included and I made sure that they got their daily dose of BamBam. Oh yeah, that's me.

     The only time I'm not included is when they are arguing. It's rare, as Yugyeom is too shy to ever admit a different belief than either of us. However, it lasts forever when he does.

"I agree, but the song. It's..." Yugyeom started, looking down. 

"A song?" Kat suggested.

"I was going to say intimate, but yeah. I just don't want the whole world seeing us like that." Yugyeom sighed, he looked back up at her and I could just sense her wishing to roll her eyes. Instead, she nodded.

"We're going to talk about this later, but BamBam looks like he's going to throw up." Kat grabbed the taller's arm and yanked him up towards me. I hadn't moved, I was just standing there. In front of the place where I would be spending my next four years.

"Be confident, the upperclassman like it when we're confident." I exclaimed, making a fake smile and continuing my strut into the building.

"The upperclassman aren't here today." Kat looked at me like I had a third eye.

"What?" I responded.

"Yeah, today is freshman orientation day." Yugyeom backed her up.

"Why did no one tell me this?!" I exclaimed, sighing.

"It was in the bulletin they mailed us, Bam." Yugyeom quoted.

~

"Bro, school starts tomorrow." Mark stated, poking Jackson's shoulder as the other scrolled through social medias on his phone.

"Yeah, and? The freshman started today." Jackson replied. 

"Ugh, freshman." The now senior made a noise at the now junior.

"Oh be quiet, you were once a freshman too." 

"Yeah, I was alone and depressed all the time. Let me give you one thing of advice about freshman."

"Oh boy " Jackson rolled his eyes.

"Don't date 'em. Whatever you do, don't fall for a freshman."

"Hey! We dated when I was a freshman!" Jackson set his phone down, turning his full attention to the elder boy.

"And look where that got us." Mark gestured to Jackson.

"Um, we became best friends and you met Jinyoung, 'the love of your life'. I see no downside."

"Jackson, they have four years left and we do not, it will be illegal once you turn eighteen. Just, please, trust me."

~

"So a whole day to prepare myself for the mockery." I said, combing my hair with my fingers to make sure it looked its very best.

"Mockery? Like what?" Yugyeom asked. Me and him were luckily in the same homeroom, waiting on our History teacher to show up. You would think that since this is the first day they would be on time.

"Oh sorry, I forgot."

"Forgot what?" He pestered.

"The fact that you're straight with a hot girlfriend."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"It has to do with everything. You will never be picked on by upperclassman or teachers for being the skinny little gay guy." I sighed, glad the teacher finally walked in so Yugyeom didn't get a chance to respond.

     Four more periods passed, basically going over the same three rules in each class. Don't talk while I'm talking, no phones without permission, and the classic golden rule, treat others the way you want to be treated. We had compared our schedules during the summer and luckily Kat, Yugyeom, and I have the same fifth period lunch. Speaking of Kat, she was currently trying to introduce me to some guy from her Spanish 2 class, apparently he was also gay. All gays should be friends and know eachother, right? Wrong. I at least have to give him a chance though, especially since she and Yugyeom just went off to get lunch and left me alone with the guy.

"Hi, I'm BamBam. I know, weird name." I said, offering my hand to the stranger. He had a round and black hat on, which suprises me because there is a strict dress code against hats.

"Youngjae, my mom's the principal." He answered, taking my hand for the handshake. That would explain the hat.

"Ahh, nice. So, where do we sit?" I asked, looking at the choices. It was tables galore and they each had chairs, instead of a long bench on each side.

"Here, my boyfriend told me that his friends sit here." Youngjae pointed to the table in front of us. We took our seats as Yugyeom and Kat were coming back from the lunch line with their trays.

~

"Jaebum has a freshman boyfriend!" Jackson defended.

"That's different."

"How?"

"He knew Youngjae from before he started high school, music camp or something. Why are you so adamant? Do you have a certain freshman in mind?" Mark raised his eyebrows.

"What? No! I just don't want to keep my wild and y self restricted to just three grades. I want the whole high school to get to experience this." Jackson bluffed.

"Yeah, suuure."

"Do you want the truth?"

"Yes."

     Jackson took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"All of the possible relationship contenders for me are in our friend circle. And, you're all taken as well. I need to get laaaaaid. I'm hoping that there is some little scared freshman that'll rub me the right way."

~

"First day is complete!" I say, raising my hand for a high five. Kat abliged and smacked mine, hard. I whined, mumbling a 'holy girl' along with it.