Preparations

Cerdin's Cairn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"My trunk?" she asked as she threw the blanket back and slid her legs out of the bed. She could feel a sore spot on her left side where the corset had bit into her side as she slept, and she felt slightly tired, but otherwise she decided that the garment hadn't been too much of a detriment. It was worth it, too, since she was waking in a room with an unfamiliar man.

 

Her eyes went to him then, studying him in the glow of the lantern. He certainly looked like what she had read of those from Obarsan, all tanned skin and slender lines; she couldn't help but to admit that he was handsome. If she thought of it objectively, she supposed that Himchan, too, was handsome, but the way that he acted made even that realization feel wrong. At least with Daehyun she could admit that he seemed like a nice enough person. She wondered what he would have been like to meet outside of this mess, if he had been a suitor for her hand.

 

She gave a start as she realized the turn her thoughts has taken. There was no point to thinking about that, and so she looked away, drawing a hand through the tangles of her hair.

 

As he buckled on his sword, she laced up her shoes, trying to ignore that they were still a bit damp. "Come on," Daehyun said, shouldering his pack and picking up the lantern. She stood from where she had been sitting on the bed and followed him down the hall to a door. He peeked in first, then opened it the rest of the way to admit her before him. It was an actual bed chamber, with a dresser and a window and a nice bed, and she felt a tang of envy run through her. When she saw Himchan standing next to the bed she faltered, but the fact that her trunk sat against the wall made her steel herself and enter.

 

Himchan was just finishing tucking his shirt into his trousers, and he watched her closely as she moved to her trunk. He didn't say a word, nor did she, as she lifted the unlocked lid and peered inside. What should she take? A new dress, for sure, though the one she wore was her preference for traveling: the black didn't stain and was a solid, thick cotton than would keep her warm. She hesitated before choosing another dress of similar make, a sturdy dark burgundy and grey frock, and then chose a pair of thick stockings to go with it as well. With second thought, she added two more pairs of stockings, as well as several undergarments that she tried her best to hide underneath the dress as she stacked them on the floor beside her trunk.

 

Her small crocheted bag of hygenics came out too, as well as her sewing kit: those were things she was sure would come in handy. Her hairbrush and comb got tucked inside the crochet bag as well, along with some clean cloths, and then one tin of charcoals and a small art book. She sat on her heels, looking at all the things she would be leaving behind and wondering if there were any way she could retrieve them. As if reading her mind, Himchan stepped to her side.

 

"I've asked Hyori to keep your trunk for the time being. It will be locked so everything should stay safe," though it hadn't been safe from him, she thought, but he continued. "We will pick it up on our way back through."

 

That statement alone told that he was not planning on letting her go, and she felt a flash of anger run through her. Who was he, to think that he could keep her a slave even when she paid off her brother's debt with the Ring? Then again, she thought with a glance at Daehyun, that was exactly what his master had done to him. She stood with a huff of frustration and gave Himchan an icy look. "Where is my bag?"

 

He raised an eyebrow at the clear anger in her tone, a smile twisting the side of his mouth. "Finding a backbone, are you?" he said softly, reaching back to the bag to lift a leather pack and hand it to her. "Just watch that your newfound bravery doesn't get you killed." By him, his eyes promised, and her anger fled in the face of such a blatant threat.

 

Her eyes dropped to the floor as she took the bag and knelt in silence, packing the belongings into her bag. Himchan gave a quiet laugh, as if proud that he had cowed her, and left the room, likely to go settle with Hyori.

 

"Don't push him too hard," Daehyun said softly, and Chorong gave a small jump. She had forgotten he was there! She shook her head and looked up at him where he stood, leaning against the wall and watching her pack.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter