The Angel

The Angel

[Oneshot] The Angel

 

 

Seohyun is an angel.

Or at least many Kpop fans, if not most, believe so with a passion. Those who don’t believe so hate her, also with a passion.

Her fans worship her for being the innocent and kind girl that they can only dream of being or having. Her antifans curse her for pretending to be the girl that they fail to be or get.

It seems like both groups have nothing in common.

Wrong.

They do. Both share the feeling that Seohyun has the image of a better human being, a person who stands on a moral pedestal, someone who flys high above and look down on all those common and unexceptional mortals.

The Angel.

 

 

 

Neither was entirely right, nor absolutely wrong.

Seo Joohyun knows that at best, she is an ordinary girl who is great at disguising as an angel. Although to be utterly honest, she has never found it hard to disguise as one.

How come?

It is not that she is a great actress. It is mostly due to the fact that many people mistake her being indifference about the opposite gender, and dutiful toward her job as innocent and more laughably, pure. And thank to various SM Entertainment’s successful marketing strategies, many devoted fans will be more than ready to battle against whoever shows the slightest sign of doubt about it.

SMEnt. has a reputation of producing some of the most profitable groups in the competitive world of Kpop. Surely, all those accomplishments aren’t mere lucks. They are the results of well thought-out plans, and theirs carefully excecution to the tiniest details. Thus, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the image, which Seohyun or to be exact, SMEnt., wanted to built has been so well-received.

Every move was deliberately calculated. Girls’ Generation debuted after so many years that the company didn’t put out any girl group, and while Kpop was dominated by boy groups. The group’s competitors were not only other girl groups such as Wonder Girls, but also boy groups, including those who came from the very same house, DBSK or Super Junior. SMEnt. already had two evil maknaes, so it needed a change, especially in this case, when the company would introduce a new girl group. In a country that has valued seniority and had a strict expectation of gender roles, it would be risky for a female to play the role of an evil maknae. It also didn’t help that Girls’ Generation’s concept was sweet and feminine. And those were enough for Lee Sooman to reach the decision of making an angel maknae without much effort or creativity.

 

The Devil and The Angel.

How cliché.

And how lovely!

 

The rest was history. Seo Joohyun has always been praised for her ability to follow instructions precisely and learn everything quickly, so with some efforts, she becomes the angel maknae that so many people adore.

It is not to say that Seo Joohyun is not a kind person. She is, just like every other person on Earth, kind on some days and not so kind on other days. However, being the sensible girl, So Nyuh Shi Dae Seohyun tries to never get caught of being something that she hasn’t been designed to be.  

And thus, most of the time, she is the nicest girl that anyone could find in the entertainment world. Possibly because she has been playing the role of an angel maknae for too long, it is easier to just be the angel than to clearly define the line between Seo Joohyun and Seohyun.

So to put it nicely, Seohyun is really an angel.

Heck, at her best, even Seo Joohyun believes so.

 

 

 

And that is Seo Joohyun at her best.

But what would it be like when Seo Joohyun at her worst?

At worst, Seohyun is not even an ordinary girl. She is cold, and even devious.

She becomes a fallen angel.

Falling straight to hell.

 

It may not happen very often, but it still happens on a few occasions when fate decides to throw some twists into her life. Those twists usually occur when her schedule becomes so hectic that she barely has time to breath, not to mention to play the role of the angel maknae perfectly.

And like any other imperfect person, she made mistakes. She became straightforward to the point of being ruthless, because inside, she was breaking down, piece by piece.  

Luckily, fate still has some mercy on her for being a kind person most of the time, so there are people who are willing to go to hell to pick those pieces up, one by one. And at the end, pick her as a whole being up too, so that she will be able to rise from hell, and again be the angel that countless people love dearly.

Because angels aren’t the only ones who can fly, are they?

Remember, devils can fly, too.

 

Who else could be willing to go to hell at any time for her, if not the two that are born there, her very precious devils with black wings and evil smiles glueing on their faces?

Her dearest oppas:

Cho Kyuhyun and Shim Changmin.

Maybe all of that takes so much effort, so they tell her that she would need more than just one to carry her upto her sky again.

Or maybe, both of them just can't leave her side.

 

Even though, when Kyuhyun is a little too drunk or Changmin is a bit too starving, they will let others help out with their important task too, like Minho, YongHwa, or LeeTeuk.

LeeTeuk, the angel without wings, is technically not of much help, but he would be there and guide them, while Minho would be the protector to shield them from curious glances, and YongHwa turns out to be a distractor to those nosy ones.

 

And just like that, Seo Joohyun reaches her sky again and again, everytime she falls.

 

 

 

Bonus

As expected of someone who always learns from her own mistakes, she falls less frequent as time goes on, while her two devils become better and better at carrying her.

And when there are days that her oppa can’t be the evils, which everyone expects them to be, Seo Joohyun is sure to be there to pick them up from the ground, and help them show the world their very own white wings and sweet smiles that have been hidden beneath all the harshness.

Because after all, aren’t angels and devils very much the same?

Isn’t darkness just the abscence of light?