001 (EDITED, PLS READ AUTHOR'S NOTE!)

The Chosen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Year 2637, Outskirts, Ri An

 

"Hyung... your jewel is glowing!" A young boy exclaimed in awe as he watched the teen before him.

His hair was messy, with dirt and grime in it. His clothes too were old and tattered.

The latter had a slight scowl on his well-sculpted face, unamused. He thought his younger brother was joking with him.

You can't blame him though - being born into a family of seekers, both his parents, his younger brother and sister who are twins are seekers.

He too is one albeit powerless, all of them identified by a jewel embedded in the middle of their foreheads.

 

His family were descendants of a rare bloodline of seekers, thus they possessed jewels that were rare and powerful.

Both parents had green jewels, while his siblings had red jewels.

His siblings' jewels changed colours at the young age of five, making them one of the most popular children out here in the slums.

The two kids always made fun of him for having a clear or basically obsolete jewel, which is why he didn't react to his brothers words.

 

He ignored his brother and stared down at the small 'birthday cake' his family had prepared for him - a plain muffin with a candle.

Today is the day he turns sixteen - the coming of age whereby if his jewel remains clear, he will be outcasted by society for the rest of his life.

Certain that his future will be obsolete like his jewel, his face shows no signs of excitement or happiness.

 

Knowing why his brother had no reaction, the young boy ran to his mother's stash of belongings to grab a small mirror.

Only when he saw his reflection did he realise that his brother was indeed telling the truth.

His jewel was now glowing a bright golden orange, and looked beautiful.

His mouth hung open as he slowly reached out to touch the jewel, feeling the power radiating off of it.

Jewels were usually not this brightly coloured. 

When his parents noticed what was going on, they immediately ran to the side of their oldest son.

 

As his finger came into contact with the jewel, he felt a buzz and images of several different locations flashed past his eyes - seven brightly coloured jewels, and a beautiful lady with a bright amethyst jewel on her forehead, just like a seeker.

"Hayoung," he mutters, not even sure of how he knew the girl's name.

The flash of images stopped there abruptly and he blinked his eyes quickly, unsure of what they meant.

"My son... I can't believe it," his father muttered while his mother's lips were quivering with tears welling up in her eyes.

He looked at them in confusion. He knew his jewel was rare as he had never seen one like his, but he didn't understand why they were reacting this way.

Was it the flash of images he saw? 

But he had no idea of what he had saw, no idea of who they were.

Just as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter