au / excerpt

paper lanterns : prompts, drabbles, and one-shots

In which Yoongi dreams of being a general in Goryeo, fighting to save the life and country of the princess who just happens to be his new Classics TA in modern day Korea. Reincarnation!AU.

disclaimer: not historically accurate. my original research was meant for a chinese version, set during the song dynasty (hence the jin) but when i adapted it for this au, i didn't do any research for a kor. ver. i will before i actually post it, though.


“What do you think the future will be like?”

Yoongi is sure he’s dreaming. When he turns to look at the source of the voice, he finds himself face to face with the TA. Chaeyoung, he thinks.

Chaeyoung meets his eyes with a sad smile. “Goryeo may not last much longer. The Jurchen are preparing for war and there is strife within the court. Of course it is when we have the most need to be unified that we decide to have a contest for the throne.”

Okay. Yoongi is dreaming. He doesn’t really want to wake up.

“Goryeo is a strong country,” dream-Yoongi replies. “The nobles will realize that there is no point in fighting for a crown that won’t exist.”

Chaeyoung sighs. “You think more highly of them than they deserve, dear soldier.”

Yoongi thinks he should feel patronized. He also wonders in what world would he be a soldier in, of all professions.

Strangely, he feels a rush of affection instead. Dream-Yoongi shifts so that Chaeyoung can rest her head on crook of his shoulder. “Regardless, you have no need for fear. I will never leave your side, dear Princess.”