Kittens are dumb

Kittens are dumb
Please log in to read the full chapter

The new kitten his owner got is skittish. And a little weird. Jongdae’s nose twitches, the kitten is climbing onto the kitchen table, little paws unstable. He looks scared, but oddly determined. On the floor, Jongdae nibbles on his food, pellets dry on his tongue. He watches Sehun crawl over the window ledge and there’s a moment when Jongdae thinks that’s a bad idea, but then he spots a fly, and he has to swipe at it. By the time he turns back, Sehun isn’t in sight. Jongdae should be worried but honestly? He doesn’t really care. Kittens are kind of dumb sometimes.

 

 

The kitten won’t stop meowing.

“Hush, the human isn’t home”, Jongdae hisses, but all it does is make the pathetic mewls coming from the other side of the wall louder. He supposes it’s a comfort that he can still hear Sehun. They live in a high-rise apartment and the ruckus Sehun’s making on the other side of the kitchen wall means he probably fell on the ledge instead of straight down to the first floor. Jongdae sighs, gets up, strolls a little and then sits down again. He stretches his paws out in front of him. Might as well nap if he can’t do anything.

 

 

“What are you doing outside there, oh my god!”

Jongdae cracks an eye open. Baekhyun’s back. He sees the human rush to the window, peers down, and a short moment later, there’s a small lump of grey orange fur in his hands.

“Oh my god, Sehun, what were you trying to do? I told you not to go near the windows! Maybe I should keep them shut when I’m not home.”

Baekhyun’s frowning, features scrunched unflatteringly, but the moment he sets Sehun down, the kitten’s rushing over to the ledge again.

“Good lord, Sehun!”

Jongdae closes his eyes, goes back to sleep. He can’t do anything if the kitten wants to be stupid.

 

 

(^・x・^)

 

 

Sehun grows up fast. Jongdae doesn’t know when, but the little kitten that’s always needed to be rescued from the ledge has grown to be bigger than him. Sehun still doesn’t do much more than meow things that don’t mean anything to him though. Jongdae doesn’t bother asking why. He figures Sehun would speak properly when he wants to. And then one day he hears Sehun talking to himself and he thinks he knows why Sehun doesn’t speak.

“You have a lisp.”

Sehun jumps. Jongdae wants to laugh but he thinks it might be mean. He laughs a little anyway.

“S-shut up,” Sehun mumbles.

Jongdae strolls over, tail swishing leisurely behind him. He nudges Sehun and the cat moves aside easily even though he’s bigger and heavier than Jongdae. He still behaves like he’s a tiny kitten sometimes, it’s kind of endearing. At least, that’s what Jongdae hears Baekhyun tell Yixing at night when they’re lying in bed. Jongdae doesn’t have much opinion on it as long as Sehun doesn’t usurp his food or bed. He settles down to eat. Sehun stands at the side unmoving for a while before he cautiously moves over to eat as well. Jongdae gives him a look, and Sehun almost shifts back, but he doesn’t. Jongdae’s not sure if that’s an improvement. He just sighs, and goes back to eating his food. After a while, Sehun resumes eating too. His snout comes too close to Jongdae’s whiskers sometimes. Jongdae pretends he doesn’t notice.

 

 

(^・x・^)

 

 

“Do you…hate me?”

Jongdae looks up from his water, blinks at the unexpected

Please log in to read the full chapter