(and in a crowd of people) you are the only one I see

(and in a crowd of people) you are the only one I see
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lack of a certain person in his life for most of the year has turned out to be more of a struggle than Baekhyun could ever imagine. EXO's been busy promoting their new album and doing concerts, while Yixing-- oh, his Yixing-- has been busy with his schedules in China. The political conflict China and South Korea are (still) involved in isn't making things any better. What seemed to be a separation of a few months top is now slowly becoming a full-year one with only quick encounters in between that don't really count.

He's only seen Yixing in the flesh twice in the span of 10 months. Truth be told, both times were so fleeting he sometimes wonders if they were even real to begin with. Yixing never stayed for too long. Long enough to assure Baekhyun that he wasn't a figment of his imagination, but not long enough to make Baekhyun miss him any less. Knowing that he'd pack his things and leave in a day or two made Baekhyun miss him even more despite his presence.

-

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and Baekhyun feels like he's going crazy from this terrible Yixing drought which is at its worst after months of not breathing the same air with his favourite person. This, on the other hand, has led to Baekhyun's life mission of buying as many albums possible when Yixing drops his second album-- his second son as he so lovingly calls.

Baekhyun's pre-ordered ten copies each time from numerous Korean and Chinese websites. It took him half an hour to register an account and get the hang of ordering from Chinese websites. If it were for Yixing, Baekhyun would be willing to go through fire and water— anything, really. He's even getting on the other members' nerves so that they'll purchase extra copies of Yixing's album. The other members have tacitly agreed upon the tactic to simply show him a screenshot of a recent purchased Yixing album whenever he throws a fit.

-

Baekhyun proceeds to order a bulk of Yixing's album on the day of its release. He's even borrowed Suho's credit card for the sake (saying that it was an emergency). Baekhyun doesn't dare thinking about the moment Suho checks his credit balance and storms into his room, eyes filled with rage.

He remains unscathed until the third day. When Baekhyun comes home (with a couple of Yixing's albums purchased at some nearby stores in his bag) that afternoon, he's met with the other 7 members looking at him disapprovingly.

"Baekhyun," Suho says at length, taking a few steps closer. To Baekhyun this sounds like the start of hour long lectures he won't have the heart to remember. "We know you love Yixing. I mean, we all love Yixing. And Yixing loves you too," Suho clears his throat, falling into a long silence before continuing.

"But this seriously has got to stop. You've bought hundreds of copies of his album already. I doubt we have enough space for them. Jesus, you can probably make a castle out of those albums."

"Yeah, maybe I should," Baekhyun ponders despite Suho's death glare. Baekhyun can see Sehun, Kai, and Chanyeol doing their best not to burst out laughing from the corner of his eyes. "It could be Yixing's sleeping place when he comes back." Baekhyun beams from ear to ear just at the thought of it.

"You've even gone over the credit line, for god's sake!" Suho goes into hysterics, not even batting an eye. Without another word, he sticks out his hand demandingly. "Give me back the credit card, Baek. You barged into my room at 2am, crying and saying it was urgent. This is obviously not something one would label as an emergency."

Sehun and Kai snicker softly at the back, immediately covering their mouths when Suho turns around. DO kicks Sehun in the shins with a warning look while Xiumin only shakes his head. Chen's half-heartedly listening to Suho lecturing Baekhyun while checking his phone every other minute under the coffee table.

Baekhyun ends up having all his credit cards confiscated, even the one he hid under the floor tile just in case. He was already thinking of using it for this occasion, but Sehun (that brat) had to rat him out.

"It's only fair this way," Sehun said, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. "You sold me out last time I asked for a favour."

"It wasn't my intention. It just slipped from my tongue, I swear," he tried to defend himself only to receive Sehun's cold glance in response. If there's anyone holding grudges, it's Sehun. It's just bad luck for Baekhyun that he happens to be the one in the receiving end, especially during this critical period.

Baekhyun refused to have dinner as an act of rebellion in the hope that Suho might show mercy and give him back his credit cards. This foolish action has resulted in not only a no-show of his credit cards, but also an empty stomach. That night, lying in bed with a foul mood and a grumbling stomach, Baekhyun receives a message from Suho himself (also known as the root of all his problems at this point).

I know you're mad at me, but I am only doing this for you. I'm sure there are other ways to show how much you love and care about Yixing. If you come up with anything that does not involve buying another copy of Yixing's album, we're happy to help :)

He knows it's in good faith and that Suho is actually doing him a favour by finally putting the brakes on his insane album hunt. For Baekhyun, doing this means a whole lot more than Suho can imagine. Love is blind, people say. If blind is buying as many copies of the same album as possible, Baekhyun's all for it. So he leaves the message on read because that's as petty as he can go and tries to fall asleep.

-

Yixing calls at an ungodly hour the next morning, stirring Baekhyun awake.

“Morning, sleepy head,” Yixing says cheerily through the phone.

Baekhyun groans, eyes still closed as he puts his phone above his left ear. “It’s 5 am, Mr. Zhang. Unlike you, I am enjoying my days off. Your timings are always the worst. Gosh, I hate you,” Baekhyun protests, burying his face into his pillow.

“I know,” Yixing chuckles, filling the silence with his laughter.

“I hate you,” Baekhyun groans louder, “I can’t even see the dimple on your cheek now. What’s the point of having you as my boyfriend now? You’re deliberately doing this to torture me, right?”

“Of course not,” Yixing says gently, heaving a sigh, “I’ve got to go now. It was nice hearing your voice though, I’m recharged for the day. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too” Baekhyun says, making a kissing sound and hangs up. It usually takes them half an hour to truly get to the part where one of them has the audacity to hang up on the other. Yixing’s been much busier lately which is why Baekhyun has decided to become the stronger one and make things easier for his man.

He suddenly receives a notification from his email account. Blinking, Baekhyun proceeds to read the whole email, his mouth opening wider towards the end of the email. He lets out a strangled shriek when he reaches the final sentence.

Byun Baekhyun has won a place to Zhang Yixing's next fan meeting in Shanghai.

Chen and DO come storming into his room upon hearing his loud, shrill scream at the crack of dawn.

"What happened? Is something wrong? Did something happen to Yixing?" Chen asks breathlessly, poking his head into Baek's room.

"Just because you're up doesn't mean others should be as well, Byun Baekhyun. You can have your screaming sessions later in the day," DO mumbles threateningly, shoving Chen aside.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter