Chapter [2]

The Clan: Prequel

The truck stopped at the market entrance, waiting for the gate to open. Jooheon peeked his head out of the driver seat's window and nodded at the guard in the booth, signaling them that the 'bosses' had arrived and so did the 'goods'. The gates slowly parted way, the scene of a crowded market started to appear in front of Jooheon and Hyungwon. Guards in white uniform holding big long guns with the same color lined up along the borderlines of the market. They all saluted when the truck made its way into the crowd. Skillfully parked the truck at the front of a big grey two-storey building which was marked as a property of 'The X-Clan', Jooheon hurriedly turned off the engine and climbed down to the ground. He even whistled to an upbeat song. Hyungwon shook his head sighing at his friend. Oh, what made our Jooheon become like this. So strange.

A group of guards quietly gathered behind the truck. Hyungwon padded his step toward the guards, planning on helping them to unload the flower baskets. Just at the same moment, Jooheon grabbed his shoulder and pulled him right back. A grin excitedly flashed on his face. "This way, this way. To the girls, remember?" Hyungwon wasn't interested in meeting these new friends of Jooheon, since this kid was a friendly dude and he made new friends almost every day. However, considering the fact that Jooheon's attitude seemed refreshing and different when mentioning about 'the girls', his curiosity led his feet to follow. The heat from the sun shone down at the ground and bounced up at their faces.

Little did they know, since the minute the truck arrived, some eyes had been set on them, cautiously. The eyes followed the white painted truck when it parked at the building which had a huge circle logo of M and X on the top floor's front. The owners of the eyes were filled with curiosity, staring of each movement from the truck and its owners. Ignoring the noise of other people in the market introducing their goods, bargaining for a low price, worrying about not be able to sell much for the day, the girls' eyes carefully followed the two male figures as they walked towards the market center.

Above the market placed an enormous canvas-tent to cover the kiosks under. Each kiosk was a small square shop, separated with each other by paper walls in between. Inside each booth, the merchants decorated their own stall and displayed their goods. Thanks to the talkative female sellers, 'The girls' had been eavesdropping conversations from the other kiosks about 'the boys': how they opened this market for the merchants without charging any taxation or fee, creating such a nice place for anyone to go shopping or just gossip; how they often offered help to elders, orphanages, and homeless people; how their guards had always been protecting the town from natural disasters, solving the conflicts in peace; and how good-looking they were without aging for years. Some middle-aged women even chit-chatted about how they would ask the market's owners to be their son-in-laws. The girls exchanged funny looks when they heard of that part.

The tallest girl of all, Yoohyeon, who had the lower pastel pink part of her hair braided on both sides, stepped to the front of the dream catcher stall and waved at the coming boys with a soft and cheerful "Hey~". She was thin and eye-catching. Right at the spot she was standing, shone down a strong ray of light through a big hole on the canvas-tent. The girl gasped as the sun ray blinded her light-brown eyes and took one step backwards. The upper brunette part of her hair was lightened up as well.

"Sorry for that." Hyungwon pointed at the hole above them. His eyes were sincere and gentle. "We will definitely have it fixed for you by the weekend." Jooheon nodded in agreement. It was also a note to himself that he had to order the guards to fix the hole.

"Thank you." Yoohyeon stretched out one of her arms with a friendly smile, eyeing Jooheon. "I see that you brought a friend." Then her attention turned back to the new guy. "Hello, I'm Yoohyeon. Welcome to the Dreamcatcher store. What may I help you?"

"Hyungwon, Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon, Hyungwon." Jooheon quickly introduced them to each other as they shook hands. The tall guy was taken aback a bit since he never expected to meet girls who were almost as tall as him. The girl standing in front of him was just around 10cm shorter.

Yoohyeon led their way inside the small square booth, always with a sweet smile on her lips. Jooheon as well. He just didn't stop smiling since he woke up, except for when he had a little fight with his friend earlier. But that was just for five minutes only. As soon as he reached the store, his mind totally forgot the mission why he wanted to come to see these dream catcher sellers.

Hyungwon counted the numbers of girls sitting around a table in the middle of the shop. There were five other girls. Oh, so these are 'the girls'. Hyungwon thought to himself, recalling Jooheon's words of before. Now I know why he was so excited about seeing these girls. They are so pretty. The girls were all wearing modest dresses in white lace, the length touched their knees. Each of them wore a small dream catcher necklace. They greeted their customers with bright and cheerful attitude then focused back on making the dream catchers again.

"Wow..." Hyungwon uttered a surprised sound as he looked around. The store was divided into three different areas. One chain of shelves on the left was full of dream catchers, displayed in an order of colors and sizes – smallest ones at the top row and giant ones at the bottom. They were organized into a chain of seven colors that created a rainbow. "So all these are handmade?" Hyungwon scanned his eyes through each and every dream catcher on the shelf. Amazing, he thought, so beautiful.

Yooheon nodded as a confirmation of his statement and added, "We put our heart and mind into each of the dream catchers as we make them, hoping that people will never have to see bad dreams in their sleep." She faked a big smile on her face professionally, pretending to be sincere without Jooheon and Hyungwon knowing that she never meant what she said.

Right. Sua, a girl with dark brown middle-back-reaching hair, sitting with her back against Yooheon and the customers, rolled her eyed as Yooheon started her show again. Like we don't use the dream catchers as a door to enter their dreamworld and mess it all up. Her fingers fidgetted the half-made pastel milky green dream catcher and twined the dark olive colored lace ribbon on her wrist whilst she was deep in thoughts. Dami was sitting next to Sua and so, she noticed the unpleasant expression on the older girl's face. Resting her head on Sua's shoulder, the end of her short hair brushed over the wooden chair's back. Dami looked up at Sua's face, a whisper was quietly spoken, "Ji-U will not be happy to see your long face."

Sua carefully let out a heavy sigh letting nobody know but Dami, another whisper was exchanged back. "Wait until she hears about what Siyeon and Gahyeon did." Then, she threw a deadly sharp glare at the two girls sitting across the table, one with tied long dark blue hair and one with slightly wavy black hair. They were pretending to concentrate on making the dream catchers but actually just to avoid Sua's furious look. Another girl next to their side was just silently made a dream catcher head crown.

Whereas, Yooheon took the new curious customers around the shop, showing them their best goods. Jooheon was here yesterday but he didn't explore much because the girls were busy decorating their shop. Yesterday was the first day they moved into the market, therefore there were unpacked boxes and pieces of furniture everywhere.

The table in the middle of the square booth was where the girls sitting and making the dream catchers. Covering up that areas, parting the table and the cashier desk at the front was a see-through glass cupboard. Dreamcatcher-shaped accessories such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, brooches, hair pins, headbands, and even sticker tattoos. On the right side were other dream catcher printed stuff like t-shirts, bags, or umbrellas. These girls must be dream catcher maniacs, thought Hyungwon – over the whole dream catcher store. There were even random dream catchers hanging above their heads. Jooheon headed towards the cupboard and stared at a grey choker with a dangling tiny round dream catcher badge made of silver. His face brightened up with an idea as he made a quick peep at Hyungwon's long neck and chuckled.

"Hey, Hyungwon. This one will look good on you." He showed Hyungwon the choker that he picked through the layer of glass. "You can wear it for tonight." He threw a hand over Hyungwon's back.

Leaning down to take a closer look at the choker, Hyungwon frowned in thought. He never told Jooheon that he was looking for an accessory to wear for the grand re-opening of the club tonight, but this kid just caught him off guards. His eyes were glued on the choker for around five seconds then he broke the stare and hit Jooheon's shoulder in a joking manner. "I thought you came here to complain?"

"Oh right—" Jooheon startled with Hyungwon's friendly reminder. The intention of complaining abandoned his mind a while ago but thanks to Hyungwon's words, it returned. Pulling out the blue dream catcher from his pocket, Jooheon gave it to Yoohyeon while whining, "I want to complain about this."

"Complaints? Wait!" They hear a soft voice coming out from nowhere. The boys peeped at the girls sitting at the table but none of them was the owner of the voice. Yoohyeon gasped when she heard the voice, she stood straight up and looked for the girl at the entrance of the store, "Sister?"

"I'm here." All the eyes and attention turned to the direction of the voice. She was standing at the door, propping her hand on the wall, breathing in short pants. She was covered in a black velvet coat, with a hood over her head. A thick line of golden thread embroidered along the edge, shining under the sunlight. At the back of the coat appeared a symbol of the sun and the moon combined, with seven lozenge shapes in different lengths interposing with each other, pointing down like the feathers of a dream catcher. Ji-U's face looked pale and exhausted. She seemed as if she had spent the whole night stalking in the forest, looking for the sign of a group of hunters who had been following them. And she did.

"Urgh, she's back." Sua groaned softly. Among the girls, there was only Handong, the girl who had been silent all this time, was actually happy to see Ji-U again. It's not like the others didn't like her, they were just worried that they would get nagged and scolded once Ji-U found out what had happened the night before when she was absent. "Ji-U!" Handong ran out to hug the older girl, spinning and swaying her around.

"Oh, hey..." Ji-U returned the younger girl's embrace with a slight squeeze, running her fingers through the girl's two-toned hair. Her hair was divided into two areas. The front area was black and the back area was blonde. Handong swayed Ji-U around and as Ji-U was tired, she lost her balance and stumbled over. She let out a squeal in surprise. Expecting that her body would meet the cold ground, Ji-U braced herself for the pain. When she thought that she would be lying on the floor, a warm pair of hands caught her and held her tightly, preventing her from falling onto the cement layer.

Ji-U held on to those arms and for a second later, her eyes met with her savior's. His smoky grey colored eyes stared straight into hers. The dark eyebrows furrowed slightly in worry. Ji-U could feel her cheeks burning up, blushing in a bright pink shade. She was totally inside the embrace of the tall, good-looking boy. The warmth from his arms and chest spread out nicely. Ji-U held her breath for a while, being caught in the moment. The hood of her coat fell off behind her neck, revealing a pale face and blood red hair. Despite the fact that her red hair was quite eye-capturing, Hyungwon's attention was paid to the pastel pink round eyes sparkling under the light. Her eyes were so addictive that he couldn't help but drown into them, entering an endless dark space with shining stars that were even brighter than the sun. He was floating in the air among the stars. They were shining on him, so bright that he had to lift his arm to cover his eyes, only to peep through the gap between his fingers. The moment was broken by Jooheon's cough. Ji-U blank her eyes and Hyungwon got kicked out back to the reality. The whole event just happened for one minute, but he thought he had been living in her eyes for years.

"Ehem... Are you alright, sis?" Yoohyeon walked to her oldest sister and helped her to get up. 

"I'm sorry... Lemme take this off for you." Handong apologized for being careless then immediately removed Ji-U's coat for the reason that she was afraid the coat may raise the customers' curiosity.

"Yeah, I'm okay." Ji-U nodded firmly to assure her sisters and straightened her dress. She was also wearing a white lace knee-length dress, with an identical small dream catcher necklace. The difference was that she had a small dream catcher bracelet on her wrist while the other girls didn't. "Th-Thanks." She stuttered out her gratefulness toward the guy who saved her from falling on to the ground.

"It's nothing. Please be more careful next time." Hyungwon coolly replied. His face was decorated by a cute smile.

"Right." She cleared and took back her serious expression, then confidently greeted the customers with a smile that was even brighter than Yoohyeon's. "I heard about complaints? I am so sorry that I wasn't here yesterday, I had to run some errands. I'm Ji-U, by the way. Ji, with a U. It's really a pleasure to have the market's owners as our customers here in this tiny store."

Jooheon was opening his mouth to say something but got cut off by Hyungwon right away. "Your kiosk is so pretty. It's our pleasure to have you girls in our market. I'm Hyungwon, and my friend is Jooheon." He smiled down at the girl, eyes unable to leave hers.

"Okay, so..." Jooheon politely nudged his older friend aside with his elbow and showed Ji-U the dream catcher that her shop assistant gave him yesterday. "I got this from your store yesterday but I ended up having nightmares all night."

"Night...mares?"