[005 - 22].

Of Relationships & Heartbreaks.

At the age of 22, things were a lot more chaotic with college and their final year of attendance. They’ve been at it for 5 years and they couldn’t be more thankful that the stressful semesters were close to being complete for the rest of their lives. Jihyo and Nayeon seemed to have hit a bump in their relationship. The two were still together, but there were more arguments and more fights between the two of them. Meetings with Tzuyu were limited because of this but she always understood – it was obvious how Nayeon was shooting daggers at her when they did meet up.

About Sana and Tzuyu’s plan; the two were implementing it slowly. To make it seem more real, they had to progress in little bits or else it would be too suspicious coming out of nowhere. They were a little more clingy with each other than before and would hug whenever they’d see Jihyo on campus. It wasn’t that hard acting the part – Sana actually often made Tzuyu flustered with her dirty minded comments about her and Jihyo. She seriously wanted to smack the hell out of her when she had the chance to.

Sana decided that she was going to go out and visit Tzuyu after her class today with a bunch of flowers and maybe some chocolate. And, she’d be asking Jihyo for help. It sounded like a perfect plan, didn’t it? Sana is totally not laughing like a Satan in her mind. Could she get any more evil than this? She was really going all out to help out the dense girl.

“Jihyo are you awake?” Sana asked as she knocked on Jihyo’s door.

“Yeah, I’m coming out. Hold on a second.” Jihyo shouted from inside the room. Looking like a mess, Jihyo finally managed to open it, gasping as she saw Sana grinning widely. “Why are you smiling like that?”

“What’s wrong with it?” Sana pouted.

“You look like you want something.” Jihyo muttered, pulling Sana’s ear and bringing her to her eye-level.

“Hey, let go!” Sana whined.

“What do you want?” Jihyo scolded.

“I just want to ask you a question, jeez.” Sana mumbled, pushing off Jihyo’s grip on her now red ear.

“Well, what is it?” Jihyo asked impatiently.

“What’s Tzuyu’s favourite snack?” Sana answered quickly.

“Huh? It’s bread. Why?” Jihyo replied, frowning.

“Nothing, I was just asking.” Sana whistled and skipped away.

“You better not do anything!” Jihyo screamed.

“What is anything? I’m just cheering her up!” Sana shouted back. It was true that Tzuyu needed some cheering up. She was feeling down and very stressed because of all her assignments and quizzes and Sana just wanted to do something to make her feel better.

Before Jihyo could ask why, Sana was out of the house and heading off to college. She sat down on her bed and sighed. Ever since her decline in her relationship with Nayeon, Jihyo has been in her own world and hasn’t been reaching out and talking things through with anyone – even Tzuyu. Actually, it seemed that most of their fights seemed to be around Tzuyu. Nayeon always got antsy whenever Jihyo would mention Tzuyu to her or suggest that she wanted to go out with her.

She couldn’t tell Tzuyu about it because she knew would take it to heart. Tzuyu was soft hearted. She didn’t like the thought of a friend being in pain because of herself. She’d sacrifice anything to make sure she doesn’t hurt anyone and Jihyo doesn’t want anything to change between them.

---

Sana smiled as she saw Tzuyu hunched over a table, sleeping. Tzuyu was waiting for her for a while and had ended up falling asleep. She pulled off her own jacket, placing it over Tzuyu’s shoulders and leaving the flowers and bread on the table next to where Tzuyu was sleeping. The bags under her eyes were visible and Sana wasn’t sure if it was because of her studies or the worry over her growing distance with Jihyo. She knew that it was hitting her really hard that she wasn’t able to meet Jihyo as much and she knew that she putting up a front for Jihyo’s sake. But what makes Sana angry is the fact that Jihyo isn’t doing anything about it. She isn’t even reaching out to Tzuyu at all.

She heard some whispers around her and some people taking pictures of the two of them. Sana wasn’t going to stop them when there was a chance for Jihyo to see this. She leaned on her elbow, staring at Tzuyu’s sleeping face and pushing her hair behind her hair.

“Did you see that? They’re so sweet! I wonder if Sana is courting Tzuyu? Is that what the flowers are for?” She heard a girl whisper. Someone quietened her down and moved them away from both of them, leaving them in silence.

It was thirty minutes later when Tzuyu stirred awake, eyes widening when she realised the place was empty around her. Sana was browsing through her phone, grinning as she spotted Tzuyu awake.

“Well look who decided to wake up.” Sana teased, making Tzuyu blush.

“Don’t tease.” Tzuyu muttered, leaning back on her seat.

“Not sleeping well, huh?” Sana asked, sighing softly as she held Tzuyu’s cheeks.

“You know why already. It’s getting really tiresome for me now. I should just prioritise myself more but it’s hard.” Tzuyu frowned, placing her face in her palms.

“The change can’t happen overnight. It’ll be little steps and you’re doing well already. I’m proud of you.” Sana motivated, making Tzuyu smile.

“I think I would’ve given up by now if it weren’t for you.” Tzuyu chuckled, shaking her head.

“Well, I don’t want you to go through this alone. It’s unhealthy!” Sana groaned. “Have you eaten? Wait, I’m sure you haven’t. Let’s go eat; my treat.”

“No, no. You’ve been spoiling me too much!” Tzuyu whined.

“Get up before I take you to an all-you-can-eat buffet instead. I’ll force you to eat more.” Sana huffed, pulling Tzuyu up.

“Don’t you have anyone to annoy? How about the girl you’ve been crushing on? Momo!” Tzuyu scoffed.

“Ya! I won’t ever annoy Momo. I shouldn’t have even told you about her.” Sana murmured, face growing red. “I guess it’s going to be a buffet tonight.”

“Alright! No buffets. Let’s go.” Tzuyu muttered, running away from Sana.

“Hey! Don’t run away!” Sana screamed, chasing after Tzuyu. She shook her head at her antics, but she was glad that Tzuyu seemed happier – even if it was a little bit.

They headed towards a diner, not far from their college and Sana saw Tzuyu’s eyes light up when they reached their destination.

“I haven’t been here in so long.” Tzuyu muttered, recalling that she’d last been at the diner with Jihyo.

“Let’s get something to eat! And let’s make new memories in this place.” Sana smiled, slipping her right hand through Tzuyu’s and bringing her inside the semi-crowded place.

“Oh, Sana! You’re back! And with Tzuyu~” The diner owner greeted, guiding the two to a booth. “It’s rare to see you here without Jihyo. I guess she’s busy lately. Order whatever you like ladies.”

“You’re a regular here?” Tzuyu asked, brushing off the comment about Jihyo.

“Mhmm. They have the best steak. I come here often for it.” Sana grinned, making Tzuyu laugh.

“I’ve never tried it out.” Tzuyu commented. Sana gasped whining about how impossible it was that she’d never tried out their succulent steaks.

“You’re going to eat it today!” Sana demanded, leaving no room for argument.

“Sure, sure – you’re the one who’s paying anyway.” Tzuyu shrugged, biting back a smile.

Sana glared at Tzuyu but what she said was true. She ordered on Tzuyu’s behalf, making sure it was a hearty meal. Honestly, Tzuyu had lost weight recently and her cheekbones were protruding more than before. Sana was really worried about the way Tzuyu was headed.

“Oh! I forgot to tell you something.” Tzuyu suddenly clapped, getting Sana’s attention. “Do you remember when I told you I applied for the international transfer option for a master degree? I could do it here but also overseas?”

“Right, yeah. You wanted to go to start fresh and possibly find a job.” Sana nodded.

“I got the transfer! I’m seriously taking it into consideration and if I leave, it’ll be early next year.” Tzuyu explained.

“You’re willing to travel overseas?”

“Well, it would be great to maybe get over Jihyo? We’re 22. Our deal was only till 24 and I have almost to no hope remaining. Nayeon and Jihyo have been together for 2 years already, this being their 3rd. This is the longest relationship she’s ever had and I think it’s going to last.”  Tzuyu sighed.

“Hey, Nayeon and Jihyo have actually been having problems, okay? The time you spend in a relationship means nothing if things aren’t good between the two of them. If you want to go, don’t just do it for Jihyo and getting over her – do it for yourself to become a stronger willed person.” Sana encouraged, patting Tzuyu’s head.

The door of the entrance opened and both girls froze as they saw the new customers walk in. Anger bubbled up inside Tzuyu because Jihyo was bringing Nayeon out when she always said she was busy. Anger bubbled up inside because Jihyo brought Nayeon to their place. She clenched her fists as she got more furious with the grins etched on their faces.

Sana placed her hand over Tzuyu’s, bringing her attention back to her and calming her the slightest bit. Tzuyu could sense the concern in her eyes but she didn’t know how to respond to anything. She felt hurt and distraught. Tzuyu was meant to visit Jihyo tonight and tell her about the offer – if anything, this was a confirmation. She would most definitely be leaving.

“Tzu? Look at me – don’t look there.” Sana called out, cupping her cheeks and turning her gaze away. “Don’t hurt yourself more than you are already. Do you want to leave?”

“No. Let’s just eat. I feel like I’m going to just stay in my bed all day tomorrow.” Tzuyu sulked.

“Should we pretend…?” Sana contemplated.

“But they’re not paying attention anyway.” Tzuyu chuckled bitterly.

“You know how loud I can be!” Sana grinned cheekily.

“Huh – what are you–”

“TZUYU!” Sana gushed suddenly, leaning forward and pretending to wipe something from her bottom lip. Tzuyu’s eyes widened and she glanced quickly towards the couple on the side. It had worked. They were looking this way. “Are they looking?”

“Yes.” Tzuyu whispered.

“Alright, good. Let me feed you.” Sana giggled, bringing her fork in front of Tzuyu. Playing along, Tzuyu took in the bite, smiling widely as she ate. Where were they heading with this anyway?

Jihyo whipped her head around as soon as she heard her best friend’s name being called out. Her eyes widened when she noticed who she was with. Nayeon followed her gaze, feeling frustrated with the loss of attention. They came to dinner to get things between them back on path, not make things worse and ruin it.

“Looks like Tzuyu is on a date.” Nayeon chuckled, but failed to receive a reaction from her girlfriend.

What was Jihyo thinking about? Her eyes looked filled with anger. Nayeon followed her gaze again, seeing the root of the problem. It was Sana that was out on a date with Tzuyu.

“What’s wrong?” Nayeon asked, gently holding Jihyo’s hand.

“It’s nothing, I’m just surprised that’s all. Sana told me she was cheering Tzuyu up.” Jihyo answered with a frown.

“Yeah, with a date. That’s sweet.” Nayeon smiled. “Eat.”

Throughout the rest of their dinner, Jihyo was rarely present in their conversations and her gaze was constantly on Sana and Tzuyu. She sighed half the time and just played with her food rather than pay attention and Nayeon had become annoyed.

“Just go and talk to her.” Nayeon muttered.

“What?” Jihyo jolted upright.

“You haven’t been listening to me because you’ve been so busy staring at them. Go talk to them.” Nayeon explained.

“No, I’m here with you–”

“You’re not really with me though. Just – for us both – go talk.” Nayeon sighed, moving off the table. “I’ll wait for you by the car.”

Jihyo knew she couldn’t just abandon this dinner date so she chased after Nayeon. Sana and Tzuyu would just have to wait because tonight was meant to be about her own girlfriend – not anyone else. She knew Nayeon was upset with her and she had to appease her but she couldn’t do anything now. Especially when her mind was filled with so many questions. She knows she should prioritise Nayeon but she can’t do that when she’s thinking about her best friend who she hasn’t contacted in a while.

“What are you going to do?” Nayeon asked as they reached her place.

“Going home. I think I need to sleep.” Jihyo sighed.

“Not meeting Tzuyu?” Nayeon pushed.

“No. Not today.” Jihyo shook her head.

Nayeon left a kiss on Jihyo’s cheek before leaving and Jihyo forced a smile as she reversed out of her driveway. She was sure relationships weren’t meant to be like this.

Tzuyu was waiting for Jihyo outside her place when Jihyo returned and the latter could feel anger bubbling up inside. She hadn’t said anything about dating Sana. She hadn’t told Jihyo anything. What kind of best friends were they? Jihyo slammed the door shut before heading towards her front door.

“Jihyo! –”

“What are you doing here?” Jihyo demanded, frightening Tzuyu.

“I-I came to talk to you.” Tzuyu stuttered, standing up immediately.

“I’m sure I saw enough earlier at the diner.” Jihyo scoffed. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. I can’t believe you didn’t trust me enough. How could you Tzuyu? I came to you when I started dating. I came to you each time I thought I liked someone. What stopped you this time? I thought you would come to me to talk about these things Tzuyu! This entire time you’ve been with Sana?”

“What are you talking about –”

“I saw you clearly. I saw how lovey dovey you two were at the diner.” Jihyo seethed.

“The diner was our place, but you went there with her. I can’t believe you would do that.” Tzuyu retorted.

“What do you mean? It’s just a place. Why can’t I take her there?” Jihyo frowned.

“We always claimed it as our place Jihyo. Where we’d go when we hung out. Where we’d go when we were sad or happy or celebrating something.” Tzuyu justified. “It’s just a place?” She chuckled bitterly. “I guess I thought more of our friendship.”

“I should be the one saying that! You clearly don’t value our relationship enough!” Jihyo shouted before shaking her head.

Tzuyu was almost in tears with the accusations that spilled out of Jihyo’s mouth. She was the one who stopped talking to her. She was the one who didn’t want to meet. She was the one who was ignoring her. How was she meant to approach Jihyo if she couldn’t even see her?

“– I think we shouldn’t meet for a while.” Jihyo suddenly announced. Wasn’t that their situation already? All of this over not talking to Jihyo? She sure has changed since she started dating Nayeon.

“Whatever you want.” Tzuyu shrugged, walking away from Jihyo. This hurt and she couldn’t say anything about it. It hurt and she had no idea it would be this much. It hurt…

Tzuyu was meant to tell her about her international transfer for her master’s degree but that was obviously not happening. What if… she was going to be leaving without saying goodbye?

She was confused and lost and had no idea why any of this was happening.

She was losing her best friend or had she lost her already?


A/N: More angst for you guys huhuhu
I wonder if Jihyo will realise what her jealousy did :o

Anyway~~ Happy New Years to you all!
I hope you have a lovely 2018 that is filled with happiness and heap of great memories.
Thank you for everyone who is always supporting me and my writing~
You guys really don't know how much it means <3

Thank you for all the memories in 2017.
I hope to create more with you all in 2018!