[003 - 19/20].

Of Relationships & Heartbreaks.

At the age of 19, the two of them had settled their differences from the year before, talking out their worries and thoughts instead of assuming things. They learnt their lesson and knew better than to accuse the other. It brought them even closer, which was honestly surprising because how much closer could they get when they were basically attached by their hips?

The movie nights and cooking sessions had returned – also the occasional emotional release from college stress. It was a good few months they shared together with just the two of them and Tzuyu was absolutely delighted. But she knew that it wasn’t going to be long before Jihyo came to her and told her about her new crush. She found it surprising that she, herself, hadn’t managed to see someone else other than Jihyo the past few years. Why was it so easy for Jihyo to form crushes and like people but so hard for her?

The ball had dropped when her best friend had come up to her and told her she had someone on her mind a week later. Jihyo had formed a new crush and this time, she was panicking more than usual. What did it mean when she realised her heart beat inclined when she was around this certain person only? She pushed herself to believe it was just admiration and that she wanted to be like her crush but she was starting to change her mind. Why? Because she was starting to get jealous of everyone who was around her.

“Confess.” Tzuyu advised.

“What? Are you crazy? She’s the most popular girl in the course I’m doing. I’m going to get rejected.” Jihyo snickered.

“Look, with the way you’re explaining things – for example the fact that she maintains eye contact with you while talking to someone else – it’s clear that she has some interest in you. She’s obviously trying to make you feel jealous.” Tzuyu pointed out.

“Well, she could be staring behind me.” Jihyo shrugged.

“How about asking you for help when there are clearly smarter people around you?” Tzuyu chuckled.

“Hey! I’m not that dumb.” Jihyo mumbled.

“And that she takes you from one class to the other?” Tzuyu added.

“She has those classes too.” Jihyo shook her head.

“Why are you so against the fact that she likes you!” Tzuyu groaned.

“Because why would she like someone like me?” Jihyo sighed heavily, shoving her face in a pillow.

“You’d be surprised at how likeable you actually you are.” Tzuyu mumbled.

“Huh? What did you say?” Jihyo asked, not hearing what Tzuyu said.

“I said, it’s obvious that she likes you! What’s the problem? The true reason.” Tzuyu demanded.

“I’m not gay.” Jihyo denied.

“You’re saying it like it’s a bad thing. It’s not. It’s perfectly fine if you like a girl!” Tzuyu encouraged.

“People will judge. The bullying could start again.” Jihyo argued.

“So, you’d hate me then?” Tzuyu muttered, leaning back against her bed frame and looking like she was about to cry.

“No! I’m not saying I hate it. I’m just saying it’s not me. I’m happy for you.” Jihyo jumped up, hugging Tzuyu tightly.

“You shouldn’t care about what others think. You should care about what makes you happy. And plus, you’ll have me there too so you don’t have to worry about the bullying.” Tzuyu frowned, wanting to smack her best friend for having such thoughts.

“You’re going to be at the other campus Tzu.” Jihyo clarified.

“Nope, from this semester onwards I’ll be at yours.” Tzuyu grinned, making Jihyo squeal and hug her tightly.

“My god, when were you going to tell me!” Jihyo gasped, slapping Tzuyu’s arm.

“I just got the news today.” Tzuyu snickered, massaging her arm. “But back to the main topic, you should confess soon. I think there’s something that can brew between you two.” She added, feeling her own heart crack while she tried to fix Jihyo’s.

“You think so?” Jihyo asked, biting her nails.

“Yes. You can wait it out to see if things are more clear if you really want to.” Tzuyu suggested.

“Nope, I’m going to go for it. Thanks for convincing me Tzuyu.” Jihyo giggled, hugging Tzuyu tightly.

Yep, this feeling was great. Tzuyu sighed, putting on a smile for her best friend. It hurt really bad but she had an oblivious best friend, what could she do?

“What’s her name?” Tzuyu asked.

“Hmm? Her name is Nayeon.” Jihyo answered, collapsing against her pillow and hugging her tightly.

“Crush, my .” Tzuyu scoffed.

“Okay, maybe it’s not just a crush.” Jihyo whined.

“When are you going to confess then?” Tzuyu questioned.

“Probably tomorrow.” Jihyo contemplated.

Another great feeling. These past few months will disappear just like how they started again. She was going to have to get used to being alone all over again. The way things are headed, maybe Tzuyu should try and open her heart to let others in. Jihyo was seeing so many people, why was she stopping herself from a relationship when it just made her upset.

“Hello? Tzu?” Jihyo called out, smacking Tzuyu.

“Huh? What?” Tzuyu responded, wincing in pain.

“You weren’t even listening!” Jihyo sulked.

“I’m sorry, I was thinking about something.” Tzuyu smiled, offering her dimple as a peace offering.

“Your dimple won’t excuse you.” Jihyo snickered, turning away.

“Jesus, it’s already 1am. Go to sleep Ji. Since my dimple wasn’t enough, I guess you can sleep on your own for the night.” Tzuyu gasped fakely, sneaking off the bed. Jihyo took a hold of her wrist as soon as she moved, pulling her back on the bed.

“Let me sleep.” Jihyo muttered, slipping her arms around Tzuyu’s waist.

Tzuyu’s heart felt like it was about to burst out of her ribcage but that didn’t matter, of course. Their sleepovers were always like this and Tzuyu wished she could be used to it already but maybe she’s set up for the torture for the rest of their lives. Sometimes, she can’t help but feel like she’s being played in whatever this is. Jihyo cuddles her and cherishes her when she’s not in a relationship but when she’s in one, it changes. Though, she does understand that being in a relationship means giving less attention to others, but she hated the feeling of being discarded and reused like a toy.

Now she needed to get her heart ready to be trampled on once again because Jihyo was up and ready to date someone new. She’s happy for Jihyo, she really is; but half of her hates it. Hates that Jihyo doesn’t realise that Tzuyu is patiently waiting and staying by her side while she goes off to meet others. All she’s ever been is a best friend to Jihyo – was there ever a chance of there being something more between them? Maybe Jihyo actually made the deal years back as a joke and was never being serious about it.

There was a spring in her step when Jihyo left the place in the morning and Tzuyu kind of wished that she’d get rejected but with the way Jihyo explained Nayeon’s actions, she knew that it wasn’t the case. It’s too easy to like someone like Park Jihyo because she’s absolutely amazing. She has everything you want and so much more; it would be a loss if you lost someone like her. That’s the biggest reason as to why Tzuyu never wanted to sacrifice their friendship in case she loses Jihyo instead.

Her friend had already noticed the change in mood as soon as Tzuyu had come up to her before class started. No amount of talking or explaining would help her get over her best friend and it was so disappointing that she was missing out on so much fun because her mind revolved around Jihyo 24/7.

“Dahyun, how many classes do we have today?” Tzuyu asked dejectedly.

“Just two. What’s up?” Dahyun prodded, wanting to remove the grey cloud above her head.

“Jihyo’s probably dating again.” Tzuyu muttered, placing her arms on her desk and leaning her head against them.

“It’s not the end of the world Tzuyu. She’s had plenty of relationships.” Dahyun comforted her friend.

“Yeah but she sounds like she’s in love!” Tzuyu groaned.

“You said that the past two times as well.” Dahyun argued.

“This one is different.” Tzuyu denied.

“Time will tell. Why don’t we go out for dinner later to take your mind off things? Alright?” Dahyun suggested, earning a nod of approval from Tzuyu.

 As soon as she stepped foot inside her place after being dropped off by Dahyun, Tzuyu was greeted by a glaring Jihyo instead. That wasn’t what she was expecting and she got frightened, letting out a shrill scream.

“What are you doing here so late?” Tzuyu asked, once she was calm.

“Well, if you answered your phone, you’d know.” Jihyo grumbled. Tzuyu fished her phone out of her pocket, realising it was dead.

“It’s dead.” Tzuyu pointed out the obvious.

“Why are you coming back so late.” Jihyo frowned.

“I went out for dinner.” Tzuyu explained. “Anyway, how did it go?” She changed the subject. She almost thought that it didn’t go well as she observed Jihyo but a grin was present on her face and Tzuyu knew it went well.

“We’re dating and taking things slow. Really slow.” Jihyo clapped. Tzuyu could only force a smile onto her face, hoping Jihyo wasn’t able to see through it.

“I told you, didn’t I?” Tzuyu chuckled.

“Thanks Tzu.” Jihyo smiled, enveloping Tzuyu in a hug.

“I hope it lasts.” Tzuyu muttered.

Out of all the wishes, it seemed like this was the one that became true. Tzuyu didn’t think she’d ever be witnessing her best friend celebrate an anniversary with her partner. Yet here she was, planning out the surprise for Jihyo’s girlfriend instead. There were only three of them there – Tzuyu, Jihyo and Sana, Jihyo’s roommate.

Tzuyu braved through it, a smile on her face and suggesting ideas with fake enthusiasm that she never thought she could muster. Why must she suffer like this? She was thinking about it all, staring into space when the spot next to her was suddenly taken up by Sana.

“I don’t think we’ve officially met. I’m Sana.” She greeted, holding out her hand for a handshake. A blush formed on Tzuyu’s cheeks as Sana grinned at her.

“Tzuyu.” Tzuyu answered, shying away from Sana’s gaze.

“Oh my, you’re so cute!” Sana gushed, pinching Tzuyu’s cheeks. Tzuyu turned a darker shade of red and her cheeks were starting to hurt.

“Sana! You’ve probably scared her to death.” Jihyo scolded, scurrying over to the two of them.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Jihyo’s told me so much about you but I never thought you’d be so cute!” Sana squealed again.

“It’s okay.” Tzuyu giggled, holding her cheeks as Sana let go of them.

“Jihyo said you’re coming over to our campus now, is that right?!” Sana asked enthusiastically. Tzuyu couldn't help but keep a smile on her face at the energetical aura Sana seemed to have around her.

“Yes, I’ll be there soon.” Tzuyu nodded.

“That’s great!” Sana clapped. “I can get to know you better.”

Jihyo whipped her head back around to the two of them so quickly, Tzuyu was afraid she was going to break her neck. What was her roommate trying to do with her best friend?

“Would you allow me to? Tzuyu?” Sana asked.

“Huh?” Tzuyu frowned.

“Would you let me court you?” Sana pushed. Tzuyu blushed, seeing Jihyo stiffen beside her from the corner of her eyes but her own remained on Sana, who seemed adamant on pursuing this. Maybe this is what she needed – a sign of something to change in her lifestyle.

“Hey, you two! I didn’t invite y-you here to sit. You guys need to h-help out.” Jihyo scolded, stuttering slightly.

“God, she’s so jealous. How obvious can she get?” Sana muttered.

“Huh?” Tzuyu asked again.

“It’s okay Tzuyu. You don’t make it subtle either.” Sana chuckled, getting up. “So what do you say? Do you think we can get her to realise what she’s missing out on?”

Tzuyu nodded, smiling widely. “Thank you!”

“No, no, don’t thank me. I’m done seeing her be stubborn. Jealousy is the only way to make her realise the truth.” Sana sighed.

“Truth?” Tzuyu called out.

“She likes you too, you genius.” Sana giggled, asking to hold Tzuyu’s hand to pull her up.

“She does?” Tzuyu hesitantly queried.

“She does.” Sana nodded. “Now let’s get this plan into motion!”


A/N: What's a story of mine without some SaTzu kekeke
Don't worry~ It's not the main ship or anything. It'll still be JiTzu c: (maybe I'll turn it into angst, who knows)
Hope you like the update & hopefully Jihyo realises what she feels soon... or maybe Tzuyu will move on *shrugs*

See you in the next update c: