[004 - 21].

Of Relationships & Heartbreaks.

I recommend listening to this while you're reading, but that's up to you :> I just really liked it and listened to it while writing :D


At the age of 21, Jihyo had been noticing changes within her roommate and best friend. She could sense that the two were becoming closer and she felt that it was a good thing. Tzuyu was always shy around others so having more friends was never a problem. Herself and Nayeon were going along quite well, she might as well add. They’d been on countless dates already and Jihyo couldn’t be happier with her love life. It was as if her life was finally headed towards a positive place – something more stable than her past relationships.

It was both Tzuyu and Jihyo’s holiday session so the two were just lounging in Tzuyu’s place as usual, watching another chick flick with a tub of ice cream between them. They were giggling at something silly when the bell rung of their apartment and to Tzuyu’s surprise, she was met with the face of Nayeon, grinning cheekily at her.

“Jihyo said it was alright to come over?” Nayeon explained.

“Oh Nayeonie!” Jihyo squealed, running to the door and engulfing Nayeon in a hug. “You arrived so quickly!”

Tzuyu was drilling holes in the back of Jihyo’s head. How inconsiderate could her best friend be when this was clearly meant to be a night for just the two of them? She couldn’t hate Jihyo’s girlfriend – she knew that Nayeon just wanted to meet Jihyo after the stressful times of the end of their semesters.

“Hey Ji – I’ll be right back.” Tzuyu informed as she headed into her room. Jihyo nodded, immersing herself in a conversation with Nayeon already.

Tzuyu had an idea of what she wanted to do and she guessed today could be the start of her plan. She felt a little bit evil but there wasn’t really anything she could do otherwise. Well, she could confess to Jihyo but that would probably ruin everything and anything between the two of them so that was a big no-no. In her honest opinion, she would be rather stay anywhere but by Jihyo’s side at this moment as the two continued to flirt right in front of Tzuyu. Any type of pain wouldn’t be as immense as she was feeling right now as she lounged on the couch in front of the television. Why couldn’t the time go faster so she’d get out of this terrible situation?

The doorbell rang again and Jihyo looked up to Tzuyu in confusion, questioning who it was. Tzuyu simply offered a smile before she headed over to the door to greet their visitor. She sighed in relief when the familiar figure stood on the other side, holding a box of pizza and another pint of ice cream in a plastic bag in her other hand.

“I hope you didn’t suffer too much.” Sana mumbled, leaning over to hug Tzuyu as she balanced the items in her hands.

“You’d be surprised.” Tzuyu sulked, returning the embrace.

“Good thing you called me then!” Sana giggled as she broke away.

“Let me get this to the kitchen.” Tzuyu indicated, chuckling as Sana slipped her hand through hers.

So yes, maybe Tzuyu might have messaged Sana about her situation and like the amazing friend that she is, Sana decided to rescue Tzuyu from the situation that she was in. Some shameless flirting wouldn’t be a bad idea, right? The two of them remained in the kitchen for a few minutes, playing around as Tzuyu organised some things for dinner.

“Tzu, who’s here – oh.” Jihyo asked, freezing upon seeing the sight of her roommate.

“Hey Jihyo!” Sana smiled, skipping over to her to give her a hug.

“What are you doing here?” Jihyo questioned, frowning.

“Tzu invited me over.” Sana smirked, watching the frown on Jihyo’s face morph into surprise, followed by anger. “Anyway, where’s the unlucky girl?”

Jihyo slapped Sana’s shoulder but pointed to the living room, where Sana headed towards immediately. She sighed before joining the two girls there. God knows what Sana had in her mind as she talked to her girlfriend.

“I’ll let you guys be and I’ll go give Tzu a hand.” Sana announced, leaving Jihyo behind with Nayeon.

“Huh? What would she need a hand with?” Jihyo asked in confusion.

“Dinner? Obviously. I’ll join you guys again later.” Sana replied, heading towards the kitchen. “Tzu, what can I do to help you?”

Jihyo was confused. Wasn’t she the only one who could call Tzuyu Tzu? Why was Sana parading around calling Tzuyu what she called her? Why was Sana even here when this night was meant to be just for her and Tzuyu – oh but she also called her girlfriend over. But then again, Tzuyu had invited Sana as well, so it wasn’t a big deal. Though… Sana came here as a friend rather than a girlfriend? She shook the thoughts out of her head, unaware that Nayeon was observing her actions.

“Babe, are you okay?” Nayeon asked, cupping Jihyo’s cheeks.

“Yeah, of course Nayeon.” Jihyo mumbled, closing the gap between the two of them and kissing her softly.

“Dinner’s rea– oh I didn’t mean to interrupt.” Tzuyu froze in her spot as she walked in on the two making out. “You’re welcome to join whenever.” She muttered, walking away.

Sana immediately noted the difference in Tzuyu’s actions when she came back, figuring out the watery eyes didn’t appear out of nowhere. She rushed to pull her in her embrace, rubbing her back and hoping to help her stifle her tears before Jihyo got back and noticed something different.

“Tzu, go to the bathroom, okay? I’ll tell them you’re there.” Sana mumbled, pushing Tzuyu’s hair behind her hair and wiping her tears away.

Tzuyu left the room right in the nick of time as Jihyo had just walked in. She frowned as she saw Tzuyu leave but Jihyo’s worries were quelled by Sana.

“She just went to the bathroom, nothing to worry about. Dig in!” Sana said chirpily.

About five minutes later, Tzuyu had come back, sporting a smile and holding up a façade that Sana didn’t expect to be placed so quickly. It was as if she wasn’t just crying moments ago. She applauded her bravery and her strength to continue when she knew how shattered she must’ve been. Tzuyu might have seen Jihyo in countless relationships but as the two of them grow older, her feelings are heightened when she’s around Jihyo. She’s more likely to be happy but she’s just as likely to be upset with her.

“You didn’t start eating?” Tzuyu asked Sana.

“Nope, just waiting for you.” Sana smiled at Tzuyu, making her shake her head. Jihyo stopped eating as she watched the two interact. They seemed so close of all a sudden and Jihyo felt threatened. She gripped her cutlery tightly as she continued to eat, rage building up inside her.

“Babe, you’re going to break the plate if you continue to use your cutlery like that.” Nayeon chuckled, placing a hand over Jihyo’s.

Nayeon wasn’t unaware of what was going on. She picked up on the fact that Jihyo was getting anxious over Tzuyu and Sana but she questioned why it was that way. Over the year and a half that she’d dated Jihyo, she honestly couldn’t be happier with her partner. She was amazing; she gave her the attention that she wanted, she spent time with her, she cared about her and worried about her and it was wonderful. But then, there was just a nagging feeling that Tzuyu meant more to Jihyo than she’d like to admit. She’d go out of her way to help her sometimes or to talk to her to the extent that she’d ignore Nayeon. She didn’t know how she felt about it – honestly. She was jealous but she also knew that the two were really close as best friends.

“I think we should head out? Nayeon?” Jihyo asked as they finished dinner.

“Sure.” Nayeon nodded, slipping a hand around Jihyo’s waist as they stood by the door. “Thank you for the dinner Tzuyu.”

“Ah, it’s nothing. I’m just glad you dropped by!” Tzuyu shook her head, offering both of them a hug.

“Sana, did you need a ride back?” Jihyo questioned.

“I brought my own car, so nope! And I’m also going to be spending time with Tzuyu here so it’s alright.” Sana denied, grabbing Tzuyu’s cheeks and pinching them. Tzuyu was quick to whine and swat her hands away but Sana was resilient, deciding to let her arm rest on Tzuyu’s shoulder.

The two of them failed to see how Jihyo’s eyes burned with rage at their interaction. Had she even talked to Tzuyu tonight? Actually, Tzuyu hadn’t said a single word to her ever since she brought Nayeon over and she wanted to slap herself in the face for not picking up on it earlier. Now she was leaving and she’s basically handing her over to Sana, who has continuously mentioned how cute she thinks Tzuyu is. But it was a good thing, right? Tzuyu hadn’t dated anyone for years. She was always the one left listening to Jihyo’s love problems.

“Drive home safe!” Tzuyu called out. “Hey, Sunny – stop.” She giggled as Sana prodded her ribs.

Sana was proud of Tzuyu. She was so strong the entire night when she felt like she was going to break. She saw Tzuyu’s wondering eyes as Jihyo walked out of the door as if it would be the last time she’d see her for a while.

“Come on. Let’s get the tubs of ice cream and finish the movie marathon we were meant to be having.” Sana suggested, ruffling Tzuyu’s hair and heading to the freezer to pull out the ice cream.

Both of them lounged on the couch in front of the television again, legs intertwined and blanket covering the two of them. The movie they were watching was only half as entertaining as people claimed it to be and the they were slowly growing bored with where it was headed.

Tzuyu was going through more emotions at her age now than she was before. The relationships she’d seen Jihyo in were when they were young so she was not afraid of the possibility that Jihyo may settle down with one of her partners. At their current stage, Tzuyu was scared of this more than anything else and that’s what caused her emotions to be all over the place when she was around her best friend.

“Thank you, Sana.” Tzuyu suddenly mumbled.

“What are you thanking me for, silly?” Sana chuckled, patting Tzuyu’s head.

“You’ve been there for me when I’ve been feeling like I’m about to drown in these feelings for Jihyo that hurt me more than anything else. You’re there to help me back up and become my lifesaver.” Tzuyu cheesily admitted.

“Well, I see you as my little sister. I wouldn’t want anyone to hurt you. I just wish that stubborn Jihyo would realise things sooner than she’s doing right now. I never expected her to be taking this long to realise.” Sana shook her head.

“I doubt she will.” Tzuyu smiled sadly.

“Why are you so against the chance that Jihyo might like you too?” Sana frowned.

“Because she’s Jihyo. All I’ve ever been to her is a best friend.” Tzuyu sulked.

“Well, you’d be surprised at how many glares I received all night from her. When I called you Tzu, when I helped you in the kitchen, at the dinner table – she wouldn’t stop glaring.” Sana explained.

“That’s probably because she thinks she’s going to lose her best friend.” Tzuyu shook her head.

“I don’t think that’s true.” Sana argued. “There must be a reason Jihyo agreed to the deal with you, right? She obviously has feelings for you too.”

“Well it doesn’t seem like it.” Tzuyu replied, digging into the ice cream.

“I think we need to do something.” Sana suddenly got an idea.

“What could we possibly do? I’m not going to sabotage her relationship with Nayeon.” Tzuyu huffed.

“I feel insulted that you’d think I’d suggest such a thing.” Sana gasped, pretending to feel hurt with Tzuyu’s words.

“Hmm, so what else could we do?” Tzuyu asked.

“Well, remember last year when we were planning her anniversary I had the jealousy plan? We never really got it into motion because of college. Let’s go through with it now.” Sana jumped up in her seat.

“So, you’re saying–”

“All we have to make Jihyo realise is what she’s going to lose.” Sana clapped, raising a fist to the air in happiness.

“Yes, but who will I make her jealous with?” Tzuyu pointed out.

“Me!” Sana smirked, earning a groan out of Tzuyu. “I’ll be officially courting you from today since you didn’t give me an answer last time. Let’s do well to get some sense knocked into that girl’s head.”


A/N: Helloooo to everyone who reads this~
This chapter was mainly angst hihi sorry about that. Things will mainly be angst in the following chapter(s).
I hope you liked the update! (And I'm sorry if you're not a NaHyo or SaTzu fan - you have a lot to deal with)

See you in the next update c: