Joyride

Goodbye, Hello

 

There should be a news worthy headline article for Jessica’s current life. If not, then she’ll make one herself.

The Jessica Jung is dating the daughter of a chaebol, Tiffany Hwang.

To everyone else, that was like a jackpot. Her rich girlfriend came from a family that could afford all the shiny cars, big houses, and a dream-like clothing store in her closet. Neat right?

Nope, that wasn’t Jessica’s type at all. Except for the closet part, she would love to have endless racks of clothes and accessories sparkling right at her. Scratch that, she had her own fashion line so her whole apartment was cluttered with her designed clothes and fabrics. Plus, she opened up a shop inside a mall which was doing surprisingly well. Except, Tiffany’s closet looked better than her own store and that was already saying a lot.

Dating Tiffany felt surreal, doubting how it sounded too good when life had so many wicked circumstances. Unfortunately in her upbringing, Jessica became picky who she wanted to get close with. There was a reason why she was labelled as ‘Ice Princess’. She’ll purposely give a bad impression if she sensed someone who wouldn’t match her life style. Basically she had small trust issues.

Jessica had some sort of motto that she lived by like it was her religion.

To live a quiet life without worries.

Of course, she gave the same cold, lack of interest attitude when she met Tiffany for the first time although the guilt resurfaced every time she reminisced about it.

However, Tiffany had some sort of royalty power and with a single touch, it instantly broke down her barriers. Currently, Jessica was living in pure bliss confusion as if life had given her a free upgrade from flying economy class to first class.

How she was dating Tiffany, who was an exact opposite of everything she went by, she could not reason with logics. Not that Tiffany was causing a headache for Jessica, Tiffany was a pleasant lover and she was attached. But for some reason, Tiffany was a magnet to turmoil in real life.

To back track it all…

Her father always told her that she shouldn’t ever get in a fight in her life. (Siblings were a different story since they were always physical with each other.)

Eventually Jessica disobediently got into a huge argument with her high school friends. Something about fighting over a guy and it forced them to pick sides. Her best friend was dating a boy then he cheated on her by dating their other friend. A big blow out happened and Jessica couldn’t play as a bystander for long. Eventually, the group of friends split up and formed enemies. Since that day, Jessica swore to stay out of conflicts.

But it looked like she had to bite those words back because she was constantly laced in some sort of situation, with Tiffany in it or not. To her credit, she never started them.

Jessica heard her phone go off and quickly grabbed it out of her pocket to check the caller ID. With a smile, she happily swiped to answer the call.

“Hi babe.” She greeted as she walked around her brightly lit store. It was quite spacy with clothes neatly displayed around.

Jessica could feel the excitement through her phone speaker as she barely caught the words Tiffany rambled out. “Jessi! You won’t believe this, but I found a PJ for Prince (the dog) that matches with our couple PJs.”

Jessica wasn’t a fan of Prince or any dogs in general, but it was Tiffany’s dog and she can’t really oppose. “Oh. That’s awesome. Did you buy it?”

“Of course! I’m so excited when we’ll have another sleep over together. We’re all going to match!”

“That’s….exciting.” She wasn’t really feeling excited about it.

Tiffany’s voice slightly changed into a worried tone. “Yea. Oh sorry, were you in the middle of something?”

“No. I’m just walking around.” Jessica’s hand grazed the soft materials of the clothes displayed on the mannequin, inspecting for any wrinkles.

“Okay. I’m going to drive home now. I’ll call you later.”

“Alright, bye babe.”

“Bye love”

Ending the call, Jessica could her hear old sardonic voice return.

That’s it? I got a call for that?

Too bad Jessica was so in love to listen to her own thoughts. Hearing Tiffany’s light sweet voice was like some stress reliever. Jessica, who was always low on energy, was now energized like Tiffany was some sort of steroids she needed.

Luckily for Tiffany, Jessica liked listening and Tiffany had endless of stories to tell her, each of them different every day. In and all, Tiffany painted colours to her black and white life.

Jessica’s phone vibrated once again and she unlocked the screen to read the message.

Tiffany: Oh I forgot. I was supposed to ask if you’re free tomorrow night for dinner. Then if you could, sleep over and we’ll have a jammie party with the three of us.

Jessica: Sure. Want me to bring some red wine?

Tiffany: YES!

 

---

 

Leaning over the table in her small office, Jessica was in the middle measuring the size of the shirt’s sleeves when there was a knock on her door. One of the hired sales clerks, Sunny, appeared standing by the doorway.

“Jessica, there’s a customer complaining about the shirt being stained and she wants a full refund.” She sounded deflated.

Jessica looked up at her with incredulous eyes.

“Tell her no. Clearly those are made by her.”

“I tried, but she just won’t leave.”

Jessica gave a heavy sigh and dropped whatever she was holding.

“Alright.”

They both re-entered the main shop to see a small lady, probably shorter than Jessica, standing by the cashier desk. Jessica approached the woman with weary steps.

“Miss what can we do for you?”

The lady raised the white shirt with a clear big brown circle stain in the middle of the shirt, it looked a lot like coffee spill.

“I just bought this shirt and it has this big spot here.”

Jessica’s eyes remained on the stain and with a neutral expression. “That’s unfortunate.”

“Yes. So I want a full refund for this.” The lady demanded.

“I don’t think that’s something we could do. Especially since those stains are not ours and we’re not responsible for your own damage once you leave the store.” Occasionally, Jessica would be nice and compensate for her customers, but this particular customer just looked like she was greedy.

“What are you talking about? I just bought the shirt today. It’s already been damaged.”

“Miss obviously you would not buy a shirt from here if it had a stain on it, you would’ve found a brand new shirt and purchase it.”

The lady stayed silent for a moment when realizing that Jessica had a point. “Maybe I didn’t see the stain when I bought the shirt.”

That’s was bull, she blatantly saw through the lies. A huge stain like that would not be unnoticed even by people with poor visions. Jessica desperately wanted to roll her eyes, but that may trigger something unnecessary so she refrained.

She gave a clear stands and she wasn’t going to budge away. “Unfortunately, I cannot give you a full refund. You can buy a stain remover to get that removed”

The woman furrowed her eyebrow giving an angry look and started shouting. “The system is so mess up! All you do is steal money from people like us. Don’t you have any shame?”

Jessica wasn’t shaken by the outburst and her voice unyielding as she told the lady. “If you insist on demanding over something absurd, you can continue your talk with the security. I can call them over in an instant.”

The woman was left speechless when she was unable to refute back. Soon, she stomped out of the store like a child showing tantrum.

Jessica’s store did receive some disrespectful customers, but those occasionally happen once every few months. It just so happened that one showed up today. Generally, the store was peaceful and bright as happy shoppers browsed in and out.

Jessica scoffed and exhaled frustratingly. Not wanting to hold onto the temper, like a habit, she took out her phone again and opened it to her background picture of Tiffany crescent eyes and all her adorableness. Quickly like a tap of a wand, her mood was lifted and her lips curved automatically with enraptured eyes staring at the picture. It was a little scary how Tiffany had all the effect on her, but she allowed it.

 

---

 

Jessica left the store to get lunch when she saw a tall built good looking guy approached her. From the way he was dressed, in jeans and a fitting T-shirt, he looked like he came back from a photo shoot. He seemed like the type to have random fans where girls would fall instantly in love with his masculine looks.

“You’re Jessica right?” The guy asked.

“Yes.”

She sort of felt violated when the guy scan her from head to toe. Then he loudly snickered and gave her a condensing look. “Pft. I can’t believe that she’s dating you.”

Jessica quickly became offended. “Excuse me?”

Who the was this guy?

“Do you even know who I am?”

Jessica took a wild guess. “Um…….an ?”

The guy snorted. “Not only that you’re a , but a clueless one.”

“Um, reality check. You’re the one who’s being rude and now calling me derogatory names. Why don’t you go to the doctors and get that head of yours checked?”

“Wow, you think you’re so smart huh. I bet you can’t afford to buy Tiffany a car.”

Oh so this must be one of Tiffany’s ex.

First of all, she was already familiar with the whole ex attacking their ex’s boyfriend/girlfriend to shake them, thinking that it’ll break them apart. She found that tactic immensely low and desperate. Of course, she wasn’t going to fall for that.

Second of all, what the !?

“Look.” Jessica gave him the most ice glaring stare which he looked taken aback from it. “Who gives a ? You’re just wasting my time.”

The guy took a second to compose himself and returned the glares at her. “Yeah, we’ll see how long you’ll be dating her.”

“If you want to get back with her, why don’t you actually go ask her? Maybe she’ll give an answer to a bitter like yours.”

The guy raised his fingers and pointed right at her as if to challenge or intimidate her. “Watch. You’re going to come back to me crying about how you lost her to me.”

Jessica flicked her right hand up, showing the back of her hand with five fingers spread apart.

“Pick a finger!” Jessica snapped then she turned around and strode away.

 

---

 

“Are you Jessica Jung?” Another guy came in the shop, but he wasn’t some model looking guy. He looked roughly average dressed in a baggy polo shirt and jeans. There was nothing about him that stood out and Jessica couldn’t help but to be caution of him.

“Yes.”

“Do you know Tiffany?” The guy asked again. Jessica looked dubious and grew more skeptical by the second.

“Yes”

Dear lord how many crazy idiots did Tiffany dated?

“She sent this package for you.”

The guy place the brown box on the countertop and Jessica thanked him before he left the store.

Jessica took the package and grabbed a small cutting knife to open the sealed box. When she peeled off the lids, her bad feelings were soon confirmed. She raised the sparkling pink dress with some shiny fake jewellery glued on top. It was a Sleeping Beauty dress straight from a Disney shop and not to mention, an adult size.

“Are you for real?” She spoke to no one while baffled with the item.

“I didn’t know you were into cosplaying.” Sunny said as she held back a laugh.

“I’m not.” Jessica exclaimed, looking slightly abashed.

“Then what are you doing with a Disney Princess dress?” Clearly Sunny was enjoying Jessica’s reaction as she smirked.

“I don’t know!”

Jessica dropped the dress on the countertop and fumbled with her phone, calling the person who was the cause of this. It was only on the first ring when Tiffany picked up.

“Hey love.”

“Tiffany! What did you just sent me?” Jessica almost shouted through the phone and Sunny was eavesdropping at the side.

“I sent you something?” Tiffany sounded like she didn’t have a clue.

“Yea, a freaking Disney dress.”

“OH! Yea, I was shopping online last week and I saw a dress that would’ve suited you well.”

What? “Tiff. We’re not little girls anymore.”

“But it’s cute isn’t it?”

Jessica took another look at the obnoxious pink dress. “No. I can make a better dress than this.”

“Really? I’m hearing a challenge.”

“I’ll even make you a dress much cuter than that.”

“Really? You’ll do that?” Tiffany sounded eager.

“Yeah, but I need to measure your size and everything.”

There was a moment of silence and Jessica wondered what Tiffany was thinking. “….You prev! You just wanted to touch me.”

Jessica’s face turned red from her accusatory and she tried to defend herself. “What? That how it works!”

“Aren’t we moving too fast? We haven’t past first base yet.”

“OH MY GOD! STOP!” Now Jessica’s face was flaming red. Another second of silence went by before Tiffany spoke.

“…But I think I’m okay with it.”

Jessica face wasn’t cooling so she ignored her and changed topic.

“What are you doing now?”

“I’m just reading a book.”

A customer entered the store and Jessica looked down at the dress reminding her to do something about it.

“Tiff, I have to go now. I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay. I miss you.”

“Miss you too.”

Jessica frantically attempted to fold the dress back into the box messily and tuck the box away in the shelf bottom of the counter.

“What are you going to do with that dress?” Sunny asked, tapping her fingers with rhythm on the countertop.

Jessica prompted an answer immediately as if she already knew what to do with it from the beginning. “Burn it”

 

---

 

Around 8pm, Jessica and Tiffany had dressed down to their PJs inside Tiffany’s huge condo. They both wore a pink and white striped onesie sitting on the black leather couch while Prince was wearing a green and white striped shirt running around. They both sat side by side comfortably with a wine glass in their hands.

“Did he really say that?” Tiffany laughed openly when Jessica told her about her encounter with the ex.

“Yeah. He’s an idiot.” Jessica took a small sip of the dark liquid.

Tiffany hugged the sofa pillow closer to her chest.

“You know, I wouldn’t get back with him at all. I wouldn’t leave you for anyone.” Tiffany said as her eyes looked at her affectionately.

“I know.”

Jessica leaned in to kiss her cheeks and inhaled a full whip of her scent before pulling back.

“What time is it?” Tiffany frantically pulled out her phone to check the time on the screen.

“Oh! It’s time to watch my drama.” She eagerly grabbed the remote from the coffee table in front of her and the TV channel switched.

Jessica wasn’t really into the dramas, but she still stuck by and watched them.

Ten minutes left to the episode, Tiffany saw from her peripheral that Jessica’s head was bobbing up and down, losing to sleep. She ignored Jessica’s state and focused on the remaining show. When it finally finished, Tiffany shut off the TV and turned her head to watch Jessica.

She found how Jessica’s lips slightly part and her peaceful face endearing, like a gentle sleeping angel. Slowly, she brushed the intruding hair from her face behind her ears, relishing the softness. She shuffled closer and teasingly, she lightly tapped her index finger on her nose, cheeks, lips, and forehead. Still deeply asleep, Jessica had not reacted to her touches.

“Jessi…” Tiffany called out and shook her shoulder.

Begrudgingly, Jessica slowly opened her eyes and blinked them to refocus her vision.

“Let’s go to bed.”

Tiffany dragged Jessica to her bedroom and sort of threw Jessica on the bed, which she hurled herself onto the soft mattress. She laughed at Jessica’s silly act before she went onto the other side.

She snuggled close to Jessica with her back facing her and she draped Jessica’s arm around her acting like an outside spoon. Every time they had a sleep over, they always fought over who got to be the inner spoon. Most of the time, Jessica gave in as she was too tired to continue their childish quarrels. Tonight, Tiffany easily took advantage of Jessica’s tired state and nestled inside of her warmth. Soon, she drifted off to sleep with Jessica.

 

---

 

“Tiffany, we’re not going to the mall again. You’ve already went yesterday!” Jessica said.

“But today you’re free and I want to spend the day with you.” Tiffany pouted

“We can go somewhere else other than shopping. God, I don’t want to be in a mall every day.”

Now this was one of the trickiest things in a relationship that they could barely solve. One was where to eat and now where to hang out. They have already sorted out their preferences and shared a few common interests. Shopping was one of them, but that was already a no. It was a miracle how they were together in the first place.

“How about the movies?” Tiffany suggested.

“It’s too early for that.”

“Walk to the park?”

“I hate walking.”

“Then where do you want to go?” Tiffany frustratingly asked.

Jessica started searching places for dates on her phone. It was hard to be romantic when both of them were picky. She read the list from an unknown site without any thoughts.

“Aquarium.”

“Absolutely not. I hate those fish eyes.”

“Zoo.”

“What are we? Five?”

“Concert.”

“What concert? We don’t have tickets.”

“Amusement park.”

“YES!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“Wine taste- wait, you want to go to the amusement park?”

“Wine tasting sounds good too but I want to go on a roller coaster.”

“Oh okay. Sure.”

Tiffany’s eyes widen in surprised when Jessica finally agreed on something. “Yes! I’m excited! Let’s go!”

 

---

 

All of the sudden, it felt like Jessica was babysitting Tiffany. Tiffany was dashing ahead, forcing Jessica to chase after her.

“Jessi! I want to go on this ride!” Tiffany pointed at the roller coaster ahead like an enthusiastic child.

Jessica looked up to see a fast roller coaster zooming through as it emitted loud screams from the passengers. She nodded. “Sure.”

Tiffany grabbed Jessica’s hand and led her to the lineup entrance as they waited for their turn. While waiting in line, she started noticing the stares from around directed at them and specifically at Tiffany’s.

For goodness sake, Tiffany was wearing a pink crop top and short shorts that barely covered anything. Jessica’s eyes twitched when she first saw her outfit and it was on the tip of her tongue to scold Tiffany to go change, but whatever, Tiffany was a grown adult and she could wear whatever she wanted. Although Jessica didn’t like the attention Tiffany was attracting.

She attempted to cover some of Tiffany’s skin by wrapping her arms from behind and rest them over Tiffany’s exposed tummy. She was going to waddle around like this with Tiffany whether she like it or not.

Tiffany giggled as she found Jessica’s protectiveness very pleasing. She purposely wore a provocative outfit to make Jessica crazy. There was something so enticing when Jessica became jealous and Tiffany loved it when Jessica was all over her. The only problem was that Jessica rarely got jealous.

At least today, Tiffany got to be in Jessica’s embrace throughout all the lineups. Tiffany pulled Jessica to the next ride after ride and she wasn’t complaining.

Strolling around the park, Tiffany’s attention went to the local shooting game with a huge plush toy hanging at the side, advertising itself. It was the one where they used a Nerf pistol gun to hit the red target. She smiled mischievously as an idea came to her head.

“Let’s make a deal Jessi.”

“What deal?”

“If I shoot more targets than you, you have to grant my wish.”

Already suspecting something Jessica raised her eyebrow in suspicious. “That doesn’t sound like a good deal at all.”

“Come on! If you win, I’ll do whatever you want.”

Jessica had one thing in mind (something about the stupid dress) and she agreed to Tiffany’s antics. “Fine.”

Knowing Jessica, Tiffany knew she had a higher chance of winning because Jessica can’t play games. Also, Tiffany was highly competitive and she just hated losing in general.

Tiffany went first and managed to shoot six out of ten targets from the game booth.

“Your turn!” She handed it over to Jessica.

Jessica reluctantly held the toy gun and examined it like it was a foreign object.

Slowly, Jessica began aiming the gun and with some sort of beginner luck, she hit the first target on the first try. With more firing shots, Tiffany began frowning as she hit her fourth target, catching up to her record.

BANG.

Fifth target down and Jessica had three more ammos to go.

“Jessi…” Tiffany began distracting her. Jessica squeezed the trigger and fortunately missed the target. Then with some adjustments, she shot another target down. Six. They were now tied.

“No! How are you good at this?” Tiffany questioned in shock.

“You’re probably going to make me do something ridiculous. I’m just saving my here.” Jessica resumed her focus back to the targets.

“No! I swear it’s not something weird. Let me win this one.” Tiffany whined.

“You probably want me to wear that princess dress and walk around.”

“I just wanted a kiss!” Tiffany blatantly declared and stomped her foot.

Jessica used her last shot and hit the seventh target, beating Tiffany by one. They won a small toy and Jessica gave it to the pouting sad Tiffany.

She smiled and changed her wish the last minute. “Buy me ice cream.”

Jessica had to stand aside to call her sister and Tiffany insisted in getting the ice cream for them. She made her way to the ice cream stand, sulking all the way there. She was trying to scheme another way to get Jessica to kiss her, however, lost in her thoughts, she bumped into someone in front of her.

“Sorry.”

The guy turned around as he was about to glare at her, but then instantly brightened his eyes as he saw (ogled) her.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about me.”

Tiffany apologetically smiled and directed her eyes to the various options of ice cream flavours on the menu. The same guy was now standing beside her a little too close.

“Do you need help picking one? I can help you find one.” The guy suggested.

“Hmm…” Tiffany was very aware what he was planning and remained silent. She didn’t want to lead him on by accident and have something unnecessary blow up, not until Jessica was here.

“You should try the new flavour one, I heard it’s pretty good.”

“Is it?”

“Yea. In fact, I was planning to buy one myself. Why don’t I get you one as well?”

“Ah no that’s okay.” Tiffany politely declined, trying to pick a flavour as quickly as possible.

“TONY!” A screeching female voice yelled and they both turned to the offending person.

“What do you think you’re doing?!”

The guy grumbled and shouted back. “I’m getting ice cream! Just wait.”

“Lies! You’re just there so you can hook up with a hoe like her.”

Tiffany was incredibly offended when the girl had been foisted on her. “Excuse me?”

“What? Isn’t that’s what hoes dress like?” The girl tipped her chin indicating Tiffany’s revealing look.

“I’m not a , maybe you are one.”

The girl angrily strode in front of her. “What did you say?! Why don’t you go to a strip club instead of stealing my man?”

Tiffany pointed at the guy accusatory. “I wasn’t stealing! Why don’t you put a lease on him because clearly he’s running away from you!”

The girl jabbed her finger on her shoulder as she spoke.

“Listen little girl, I’m going to punch that pretty face of yours until your mom can’t recognize you.”

Instead of backing down, Tiffany was the first one to slap the girl across the cheeks as her eyes were evidently angered. It was a sensitive topic for her and unfortunately, people were too oblivious and ignorant to understand. They continuously stabbed her heart.

“ off!” Tiffany bitterly yelled.

The girl was about to lunge at Tiffany until Jessica shoved the girl away in time. Swiftly, she grabbed Tiffany’s hand and ran the opposite direction. They ran to a secluded looking space with a single bench covered in shade from the trees. They sat down trying to recover their breath, panting heavily.

“God, I shouldn’t have let you go by yourself.” Jessica continued to pant. She reprimanded herself when she knew Tiffany’s outfit was red alert already.

“It wasn’t my fault. I swear.” Tiffany tried to reason.

“It’s okay. It’s okay.” Jessica didn’t blame her. She attempted to soothe her as she pressed against her sweaty forehead.

“No, she called me a hoe and she was going to punch me!” Tiffany was still enraged.

“Good thing I came in time. That scares me.” Tiffany could get into any fights (none would be better), but Jessica wasn’t going to let anything scar her. She just hoped that she would be there to save her on time.

Realizing how worried Jessica sounded, her anger soon diminished into the air. She looked at the ground like a wimping guilty child and apologized. “I’m sorry.”

Jessica kissed her forehead.

“I love your outfit, but let’s switch shirts. You’re okay with that?”

Tiffany nodded obediently.

They exchanged tops, Tiffany was now wearing a blue T-shirt that finally covered her torso and Jessica was wearing her pink crop top. This time, she was salivating Jessica’s abs with temptations of running her hands over them.

The sky had darkened and the theme park had glowed with colourful lights across the area. The girls were resting by the bench while their feet were tired from walking (and running) the whole day. Jessica hummed softly as they both enjoyed the calm night.

Instead of buying ice cream that Jessica wanted, (probably a little traumatized from earlier) they got cotton candy from another booth. They both shared a pink fluffy candy, enjoying the taste in their mouth.

“Too bad we didn’t get ice cream.” Tiffany took a fistful of cotton candy to .

“It’s alright. You’re the one who made the bet.” Jessica smiled.

“Yeah…” Tiffany looked away as the small guilt lingered in her head. There was the poignant feeling settling in her guts.

She sighed loudly, suddenly looking bothered. “You must be tired dealing with me. I’m constantly in trouble and I know you hate that.”

After hearing Tiffany’s burdens, Jessica knew Tiffany had the same bewildered thoughts that carried throughout their relationship silently. Indeed, they were opposite and weren’t inclined to date, but when they were together, their hearts beat as one. There shouldn’t be a theory as to why it did.

There was a pin drop silence between them and Tiffany’s fear grew by the seconds, desperately waiting and searching for Jessica as she stared into her eyes.

Jessica finally called her. “Tiffany.”

Jessica’s voice was soft and gentle, always forgiving, and reassuring. “You’re not perfect, I’m not perfect and I can’t hate you for that.”

She reached out to hold her hand and intertwine her fingers firmly, loving her whole heartily. She despised the stress from worrying too much, but with Tiffany, she solely became her sweet ecstasy. All she wanted to do was to protect her, worry for her and take care of her.

“You can continue being a troublemaker that you are but…”

Then Jessica’s eyes shifted to her lips and Tiffany knew what she wanted to do. Her stomach turned in anticipation.

“You can’t tell me who to love.”

Slowly leaning in, their lips touched softly as Jessica brought her hand to the back of her neck, pulling her closer. The taste of cotton candy was there, making the kiss so sweet and addicting. It wasn’t their first kiss, but it had its own special meaning. It was the kiss that made Tiffany decided that she going to shower Jessica with all her love.

They pulled back and Tiffany immediately hugged her, wrapping her arms around her neck. Thanking whoever brought Jessica in her life. Jessica was like the cool touch to her disarrayed life, always there to calm her and collect her. It made her feel like she needed her and Jessica needed her just as much.

She gave Jessica another peck on the lips.

“I’ll let you be the inner spoon tonight.”

 

End.