act i, scene iii.

still star-crossed.

 

 

“And those who only know the non-platonic love have no need to talk of tragedy. In such love there can be no sort of tragedy.” 
― Leo TolstoyAnna Karenina

 

 

He pounded his fist against the wooden door impatiently, as his knuckles turned white and the pain stung his fingers, yet no response was heard from the other side. For a man who never shut up, Jimin was suspiciously quiet. Something was wrong. Terribly wrong.

 

 

“How many times did I have to tell you Jimin - there are and will be many other girls out there who will gladly marry you without a second thought and love you with their entire heart?” Jungkook consoled from behind Jimin’s door, standing in the hallway and knocking repeatedly on the door waiting to be let in for what felt like hours. At this rate, he was considering camping outside the heir’s room, to slide against the oak wood and slouch as he would sit on the cold, hardened floor.

 

 

 

     It was the morning after the royal banquet, and Jimin hadn’t left his room since the previous night. He had slammed his door shut and locked himself away from the world after his tragic defeat. No one has seen him since he had drunk and knocked himself unconscious to drown away his sorrows and woes, and the town had acted in a frenzy looking for the lost heir.

 

 

 

It was unusual for the golden boy of the Hanyang faction not to be roaming the avenue with his wide, sincere smile, joyous laughter and warm, cheerful energy, and the city definitely felt his absence.

 

 

 

Jimin swore at himself under his breath, upset at himself for letting a girl have such a dramatic effect on him when the previous girls he had courted were easily forgotten, but she played him like no other.

 

 

 

Many have tried bringing the boy out of his melancholy and shame, all armed with numerous tactics and reasons, only to fail and leave him in his solitude and endless tears.

 

 

 

“Come on, Jimin- You haven’t seen the light of day since last night! I don’t think you’ve even eating anything ever since.” He groaned, breathing in a deep breath and crossed his arms impatiently.

 

 

 

 

He should’ve been used to Jimin’s tactics by now. Jeon Jungkook was cousins with Park Jimin and had basically been weaned and raised up with him since birth. Jungkook’s mother was a cousin of Jimin’s father and the niece of the Hanyang faction’s previous leader Park Wonhae, who prided and lead his faction with cunning and control.

 

 

 

Jungkook’s stepfather Jeon Yunho was the right hand man to Jimin’s father Park Donghae, and as much as their father were never apart in times of need or in peace - their sons grew up alongside one another and saw both the best and worst in each other.

 

 

 

 

Jimin, the only son and heir of the current Hanyang leader, was spared no expense in his upbringing and given everything he wanted. For the first time in his life, something he had ultimately wanted so much was deprived from him - and he didn’t know how to deal with this. Neither had Jungkook.

 

 

 

 

“What is there to see when the love of my life denies me? When the very thing I’ve loved does not return my affections? Why am I so cursed? What did I do to deserve this?” Jimin whines, his croaked voice muffled against the fabric of his pillow and his unruly hair combed aggressively between his fingers.

 

 

 

Not this again.

 

 

 

 

“Taehyunga nd I want to see you come on! That’s enough of your silly woe is me act, Jimin! ” Jungkook yells from behind the door, pounding on the oak wood, with the bruises and contortions that will appear on his arms the last of his worries.

 

 

 

 

     It takes Jungkook all of his persuasions and convincing for Jimin to open the door for him. It takes all of his strength to drag the unwilling Jimin from the ground, who refuses to leave his bed, but the sound of Taehyung tripping by his front door who excitedly runs over to see his friend is the first time Jimin smiles for a while.

 

 

 

 

“Come on, lovestruck idiot- You’re wasting your time when I’m sure there will be ladies out there who would die to even be around you. That cousin of mine will marry no one till the end of time, trust me. ” Taehyung smirked egotistically once he gets up, greeting the Hanyang heir with a firm, loud smack on the back with his heavily ringed fingers.

 

 

 

 

Jungkook hastily opens Jimin’s securely locked windows and the sunlight immediately filters through Taehyung’s platinum blond hair, and a part of him is suddenly reminded that Taehyung is from the other faction and wonders why he is with a bunch of Hanyang youngsters like them.

 

 

 

 

      Taehyung is and, always has been an exception - he too didn’t believe in these silly bloodlines that determined your position in the noble council, or which wing of the palace you believed in, but the sincerity of friendship and solidarity. That’s what made him so different. Jungkook always wondered how lucky he got with their pack. He wished it could last forever.

 

 

 

 

“Alright, alright- I’m going back to the city now.” Jimin pledges with a half-hearted grin on his face, even though his eyes are still swollen, and his loud sniffling is still heard- he is still better than he was the night before. That was all it took for the two to vehemently cheer and rowdily chuckle as the trio made their way back to the streets of King’s Landing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The common folk who pledged under the Hanyang clan were overjoyed and pleased to see the return of their heir, the shining star and the future of their faction. They kissed his palm, showered him in flower petals, gifted him all fruits, plantations and grains of great value and praised that he was back and relieved their worries that they would lose him forever.

 

 

 

 

Once the heir was out of earshot, they chatter and gossip behind their back, showing distrust and suspicion towards his companions and how they are untrue and unworthy friends to the Hanyang heir.

 

 

 

 

They immediately despised Taehyung even from the colour of his hair and his pointed features, as they knew he was a bastard Kim offspring who resembled his Haeyang lord father a bit too much that they could not bare to look at him any longer.

 

 

 

 

Jungkook was not safe either, viewing him as irrelevant, social climber of the son of a lowly knight and a ruined noble lady who clung to Jimin like slithering snakes so he could rise in prominence and get wealth, prestige and power through their association.

 

 

 

 

The two learned to ignore this and block out whatever they heard after years on the streets, even though they never admitted that it still stung them painfully that people would think they didn’t care for Jimin. When that was all they did when he was around. They wanted nothing for him but happiness. Even at the price of their own reputation.  

 

 

 

 

    “The Haeyang clan is holding a ball to welcome the return of Lord Min Yoongi back to the Crownlands-” Jungkook overhears the whispers in the streets as he walked around with his friends and a brilliant idea is planned in his head that sounds so brilliant he can’t stop smirking.

 

 

 

 

“Taehyung, we have to bring Jimin-hyung to the Haeyang masquerade to make him forget that Yerim girl. ” He whispers towards the older’s ear, who hovers over and bends closer so he can hear the younger more clearly, and the blond had to control his own laughter from spoiling the surprise.

 

 

 

 

“Perfect.” Taehyung nods in approval before the two turn towards the heir, unsuspecting that the two behind him are plotting behind his back, as he was busy charming the salesladies by the fruit stands and clumsily donating coins from his pocket to support their businesses.

 

 

 

 

    “Jimin, we have to get going-”

 

 

 

 

    “Already? What do you mean we just got here? Weren’t you the ones who wanted me out here?” Oh, Jimin. They always loved teasing him by how naive and vulnerable he can sometimes be. Especially now.

 

 

 

“We have a party to attend. We’re sure it’ll be fun. Lots of fun.”  

 

 

 

...

 

Jungkook should’ve listened. He never does. Jungkook commits the greatest mistake of his life when he secretly drags the puzzled Jimin into that Haeyang banquet along with Kim Taehyung.

 

 

 


 

Taehyung was the illegitimate son of a Haeyang lord and a reputable courtesan, whose clients significantly declined once her son’s lineage was discovered, yet he is insignificant enough to the faction that they don’t care whatever he does. As long as he doesn’t ruin the Haeyang reputation and name. Too bad he’s always with the Hanyang faction anyway.

 

 

 

 

They come in cheap, recklessly made masquerade masks, bought from a stall just outside the fruit market where they had charmed the old, ghastly and wrinkled grey haired old lady to give them two masks for half price no matter if they had come from another city or island. Tacky coloured, feathers, glitter and sequins clumsily glued on and falling out, but that was as much as the leftover coins in their pocket can provide. 

 

 

 

 

Taehyung doesn’t need one. He’s sure they won’t even recognize his presence. They make sure to keep their cover low, that no one figures out the Hanyang heir is in their exclusive gathering and in their proximity, or all hell will break loose.

 

 

 

 

Cautiously, they make their way through the extravagantly dressed crowd- protected by their hidden identities, seeing such a variety of people from the Haeyang faction attending the private party- decrepit, sluggish old men, to rancid, over-dressed and overly fragrant middle aged women to muscular, buff young men and most importantly: alluring, chaste young women and girls unmarried, flirtatious and ready for nothing but to enjoy the celebrations.

 

 

 

 

Sitting by the banquet table elevated from the crowd, especially from the highest ranked Haeyang noble families, many familiar faces whom he had not seen in a long time came back to Jungkook’s memory.

 

 

 

 

Towards the end of the elongated, oak table were the infamous three Kim brothers, all sitting according to age youngest to oldest: Jongin, Jongdae and Minseok, vociferously laughing around the swarm of prettily dressed yet ditsy ladies clinging to them like flies.

 

 

 

 

The Hand of the King sits at the centre of the table, the prime position that enables everyone in the hall to see him clearly no matter where they stood or sat. His noble sons sat around him, all with their matching golden locks and azure eyes.

 

 

 

 

His eldest and heir Joonmyun sat proudly by his father, carrying the same determination and charisma of his father. Next to him was the handsome Seokjin, whose picturesque looks fool those who underestimated his intelligence and wit.

 

 

 

 

 

The Grand Princess Seungwan, reservedly smiling as the blue roses crowned on the top of her forehead matched her intricately woven gown made the princess the centre of attention. Jungkook stared at her in surprise from afar, wondering why she was at a Haeyang faction party dressed in their clothing style and colour. His question was answered when she was approached from behind by the raven haired Min Yoongi, who affectionately greeted her with a gentle brush on her knuckles and called her “my future wife”.

 

 

 

 

Min Yoongi, at his young age, would be the heir to the largest shipping company in the kingdom and had connections that branched out across several continents and across seas. His fortune was enough to buy an entire kingdom of his own, and the young man of nineteen always found himself travelling from sea to sea to help maintain his father’s colossal empire of the sea.

 

 

 

 

     Jungkook had seen the Princess often growing up whenever he was in the royal palace, especially when his stepfather was the brother of the Princess’ mother the Queen. Every time his father would ask him to accompany him for a ride to the palace, he would sneak away when his father was not looking and wander around, until he would find himself lost in the Princess’ wing.

 

 

 

 

 

Ever since he was eight years old and she was ten years old, she had laughed heartily at the sight of this young boy going around in circles in the gardens she called home, and invited him for tea. For years and years since, she had annually invited him for tea and confided in him like a brother. As if she didn’t have any, she had four brothers and was the only daughter, and had many brothers to choose from in the palace walls alone, but she found the kindness and genuity in Jungkook memorable enough that she kept inviting him back for tea.

 

 

 

 

      She was like the older sister he never had, even though he technically had one- Lord Yunho’s daughter Soojung, but she never kindly acknowledged him or even treated him like a brother, so her company was one he always cherished. Princess Seungwan laughed at the jokes he would use on her first, and cheekily if he had found a girl to fancy once he was of age.

 

 

 

 

He felt like she trusted him as much as he had trusted her, that they swore to tell everything to one another and there would be no secrets among them. Even if he kept reminding her about how they would never be on the same level because she was a Princess, she ignored and persisted that it didn’t matter as long as they trusted each other. Like brother and sister.

 

 

 

 

Yet that was their childhood, when they were young, naive, innocent and idealistic. How could he ignore the real world? He was such a fool! A cruel, dark world built on classes, castes, nobles and a structured society, when they were always two worlds apart. She never did forget one thing and she always mentioned it to him, even as a young girl. She always had to do her duty. Always.

 

 

 

 

 

She never mentioned anything about a suitor or anyone she wanted to marry, but knew she had to marry for the good of the kingdom. This is probably the sacrifice she had to make. Her duty as Princess. To marry for the good of the kingdom. She never forgot about her duty. 

 

 

 

 

Her three younger brothers: Youngho, Taeyong and Jaehyun all towered and surrounded her like towers, cladded in the finest armour with their sheathed swords by their side, defending their only sister with honour and pride. Like him, they were intertwined in Seungwan’s little finger, all fallen to her charm and beauty, and would do anything to protect her.

 

 

 

 

Her Haeyang handmaidens were present as well- Min Yoongi’s younger sister, Lady Jisoo with the identical ebony hair, the Hand’s only daughter, Lady Jennie, the royal secretary’s daughter, Lady Yerim and the sweet, brown haired Lady Seulgi who were all engrossed in chattery conversation lead by Lady Jennie.

 

 

 

 

Lady Jennie disdainfully ignored Lady Seulgi and Lady Yerim, and mostly just chatted with Lady Jisoo, as she greatly disliked the two. Lady Jisoo is the only other pure Velaryon among the Princess’ handmaidens, but by her scowl and rolling eyes whenever they spoke, it was more than lineage that she hated them.

 

 

 

 

     On the other end of the manor hall, Jimin quickly loses his guard when he catches the beautiful silhouette of an unmasked lady, with her pale, flawless skin, creased, almond eyes and rose coloured lips dressed in deep, dark ruby red shyly speaking with the other noble ladies from her faction.

 

 

 

 

He is stunned, feeling a chill down his spine and his heart beating faster than he has ever felt and all the air knocked out of his lungs as he finds the words to say but nothing comes out. He is in love. And it’s real this time.

 

 

 

 

He has long forgotten after that stupid, naive Yerim girl whom he had found an adolescent, puppy affection for, who he had only found pretty because her eyes shined like the stars, but this time had found the Sun, his everlasting source of happiness and joy, and beauty personified in every way possible.

 

 

 

 

 

“What is her name?” Jimin asks Taehyung, caught in a trance and not leaving his eyes on the beautiful lady he had seen and not letting go off. He hands over the glass of purple wine in his hands to a young servant beside him, who quickly rushes to grip the glass on the edge of his golden tray before it spills over and shatters, as the heir doesn’t even look his way.

 

 

 

 

 

“Why- She is Kang Seulgi, the Haeyang candidate for the Crown Princess- She is already someone else’s before she is even yours. Like how your sister is the Hanyang candidate, they cannot marry until the Crown Prince has made a choice between the two.” Taehyung scoffs, shaking his head that Jimin is even trying to pursue a girl that is someone else’s before he could even speak to her, but Jimin ignores him, walking towards Seulgi’s direction just in time as her handmaidens leave her for the next dance.

 

 

 

 

     Jungkook feels the discomfort pulsing in him as he looks in Jimin’s direction, the twisted feeling in his stomach and his head throbbing, and knows something is beyond wrong. Bells ring in his head when Seulgi looks back at him, and the same lovestruck glance of admiration, attraction and desire appears on her face and takes over her completely.

 

 

 

They peer at each other between filtered blinds and feel each other's pulse through their fingers across the woven pines of the divider between them. No. This is wrong. This shouldn’t be happening. They shouldn’t be together.

 

 

 

 

 

     They shouldn’t fall in love. They shouldn’t even be here, yet it’s too late. He’s done the deed, and the act has been done. The strings are tied tight enough that it’s impossible to pull out and yank completely. Something terrible is going to happen and he cannot do anything to stop it. Nothing. He brought the kingdom to ruins. And it ran in his blood.

 

 

 

 

 

Song: "What is a Youth" by Nino Rota