act ii, scene iv.

still star-crossed.

XLIII. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

 

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.

I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;

I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with a passion put to use

In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.

 

The Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

 

 

    The golden walls shimmered in the sunlight, arched up in intricate depictions of cherub angels and deities alike, their delicate features replicated in soft pastels and the warmth of summer simmering through the gentle breeze.


 

    Diamond encrusted chandeliers hung from the painted canopy, as the white marble arches attached to translucent canary silk that blew harmoniously to the constant rhythm of the prime of spring.


 

Freshly plucked peonies rest on the oak table, its lavender and azure hues consummating its rich tinge with the intricately woven silk cloth and the cerulean and mauve shades embroidered into it.


 

Harmonious, placid chatter amongst the family gives a sense of comfort and amenity in the room, with hushed chuckles and giggles playing over the fiddle and golden harp produced mellifluous tunes that echoed in the dining room.


 

Uniformly dressed maids and butlers ambled from one end to the other, returning with full platters of meat and fruits and leaving with empty, cleared chargers sans the residue of oils and grease from the intricate meals prepared.  


 

The symphonic atmosphere among those seated at the stimulating feast surrounded by newly roasted beef and pig, abundant baskets of citruses, berries and grain amongst golden plates of pastries was interrupted with a thunderous thud against the desk.


 

    “How many times do I have to tell you mother- I am not going to choose a bride nor am I getting married-”


 

    “Chanyeol - how dare you raise your voice to me like that! I know we are in private company and we do not take our royal status to word, but I am still your mother!” The Queen stood up heatedly, the crook of her elbow shoving off her scarcely filled platter in the air, as the porridge and herbs spluttered all over the banquet in front of her.


 

The wide eyed servants and attendants cautiously pause in alarm, murmuring orders and warnings towards one another before surreptitiously leaving the room and shutting the glass encrusted doors and hurriedly locking its doors closed.


 

    “I have done everything you have asked of me - I have been caring and selfless to my people, whether they be of nobility of either side or common folk of the lowest rank, and prepared all that it takes to become the Crown Prince and future King they need-”


 

    “Yes, Chanyeol, I clearly am aware of the efforts and discipline you have exhibited as a Crown Prince and made the most out of your position, even if it was so easy for you to give up and live indolently, as you have prepared yourself through your education, military service and involvement in the council-”


 

    “Then, what else then do I lack, mother? I’ve given up my entire life for this kingdom, to make you and Father happy, but is it still not enough? Am I not enough for you, mother?”


 

Chanyeol shook his head in frustration, his fingers through his hair as he took a breath to control his rising anger and to hold back the words he would regret to say. Especially to his own mother.


 

It thwarted and miffed him how he truly showed he was his mother’s son with their uncannily exact temper and reckless spontaneity, yet she refused to acknowledge the same fault she found in herself.  


 

No one paralleled his mother the Queen’s ability in putting up a united front as a family in front of the kingdom in order to show solidarity and competency as the ruling dynasty. She had to the same as the daughter of the Reach’s lord, when her own parents married for duty and coldly, never interacted nor tolerated one another after they had fulfilled their duties of providing heirs.



 

The Grand Princess Seungwan abruptly stood up from her seat beside him, glaring at him with sharp daggers in her eyes as she tugged on his sleeve forcefully. “Chanyeol, you have to calm down and think this through-”



 

“Hyung, she is still our mother-” Prince Youngho retorted with a calm, grounded demeanor, as his long, sinewy frame was perfectly illuminated in shades of Aegean garabine hinted in speckles of golden fleur-de-lys that made him even more charming and engrossing.


 

His fraternal younger twin brother, Prince Taeyong clears his throat, continuing with his meal in dire hopes of avoiding further conflict and adding more fire to the flame. He tensely brushes his coarse fingers through his slicked back chestnut hair, as he looked dashingly handsome in his deep scarlet and black fleece that matched his ebony riding boots.


 

“You know she doesn’t mean it that way, hyung-”


 

“Chanyeol, your marriage will not be the end of your life, as it would not end mine. Marriage is the greatest sacrifice we can make for our family, for our people and to restore order and balance to the increasingly toxic and hostile aristocratic world who would want nothing but to tear us down!” Seungwan shouts passionately, her eyes wide with intensity and desperation to convince her brother to concede to the same fate she had been locked into.


 

What the Queen couldn’t control was the opposing forces that co-existed among her own children, with the tenacity and obstinacy that was just like her own. How could she forget that the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree?


 

Her first born seemed to possess the best of both her and her husband the King- he had her brooding, wide eyes, while the king’s facial structure and smile mirrored his son’s, yet she could not stop cursing at the stars once she realized it was the heir to the future kingdom who inherited her most despised temper.


 

    “No matter what you do - The Noble Council has decided once and for all! Whether or not you have been involved in the final selection of the Crown Princess, they have decided who you are to marry.” Queen Sooyeon lamented agitatedly, her eyes wide in acrimony and fury, before tiredly closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.


 

All of her children looked at her with anxious, yet inquisitive and impertinent, as a lull silence hung around them, as they waited for her to reveal the news that prompted the dinner in the first place.


 

    “Mother, who has the council decided to become the future Crown Princess?” Seungwan cleared as she returned to her seat, placing her tattered, silk napkin back on her lap and gripped tightly on the utensils subtly as she faced her mother with a sweet, shallow grin.



 

    “You’ve kept this from us for far too long, Mother. We deserve to know as much as our people do.” The youngest prince, Prince Jaehyun, looks up in defeat, setting aside his utensils from his nearly finished meal, with tired yet hopeful eyes.


 

Sooyeon returns to the head of the table, before she quietly sits in her upholstered wooden chair with her eyes tightly closed.


 

    “The Noble Council has decided the future Crown Princess is to be Lady Kang Seulgi of the Haeyang faction.”


 

Chanyeol storms out of the dining hall, slamming its pristine doors loudly towards its framed walls, in fury, yet no one finds the courage to follow nor stop him.


 

“It’s better her than Lady Jennie of the Haeyang faction. We know how their entire family has attempted to snake their way to power for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Hand of the King would attempt to eventually throw all his nieces towards us, just to wrap us around his little finger.” Taeyong scoffs snidely, reaching for his metal flask in his mauve coat pocket and chugging the finest vodka down his throat.


 

“We know Lord Kim supported this vote just because he would never let anyone else from the Hanyang faction be in the same proximity in power as future Crown Princess - even if it wasn’t his own daughter.” Youngho shrugs nonchalantly, his cobalt eyes glistening in boredom and indifference, crossing his arms in lack of astonishment and consternation over the decision.



 

“Boys, you have to keep those thoughts to yourselves outside these palace walls. We have to stay neutral and nonpartisan towards this decision, especially when we warmly welcome Lady Seulgi into this household. I know better than anyone that she would need much support to accommodate her new position.” The Queen markedly chides her fraternal twins in fatigue, grasping her silver utensils and cutting deeply into the freshly roasted beef on her plate.



 

The Princess shares a knowing glance with her youngest brother, as they nod at one another with furtive, perceptive acknowledgements, before clandestinely continuing their consumption of their meals.


 

    “To the future Crown Princess Seulgi.” She raises her sapphire enameled goblet for a toast, her ringed fingers clutched tightly along its slender handle, speaking with proclamation yet toned with mysterious expectation.



 

“To the future Crown Princess.” They raise their chalices in response indifferently, as rehearsed from years of protocol and mannerisms have been engraved into their every movement.



 

“To the future Crown Princess.” Jaehyun deliberately rises from his seat, the foot of his chair emphatically scratching against the ground, as he raises up his filled pilsener, with a mischievous smirk.


 

Suddenly, a barren, unfilled glass chalice rolls over from the corner of the supper table after being caught from the cluster of platelets and utensils, before unceremoniously shattering onto the cream marbled ground.


 

The room suddenly becomes icily chilly for the aurora of summer tide, horripilation and goosebumps forming on their skin and courses through their spine - as the perception of misfortune and calamity is too substantial and compelling to ignore.



 


 

Her nimble, silk sandaled feet sprints up the limestone staircase of the adobe lined walls, brushing her pristine fingers against its coarse, rugged exterior.


 

Clasping the adroitly creased letter securely with her pale fist, Lady Kim Yerim rushes to the northeast corner of the Haeyang headquarters in the prime of the capital city of King’s Landing. The fresh, crisp air of spring hung in the atmosphere, as birds sung their sweet songs and flowers bloomed at their prime.


 

Her golden blonde hair is loosely knotted into intertwined, tangled tresses that was purely decorated with a cerulean, velvet ribbon. As the sun’s rays shone from the translucent, guarded windows, the young lady’s emerald eyes glittered in the light, as she concealed her appearance with a floor length silver coloured, jacquard cape that created a magnificent train as she made her way hurriedly.

 

    

    “Seulgi-unnie! Seulgi-unnie, it’s me, Yerim!” She heaved laboriously as she stumbled by the wooden door, panting heavily with half-hearted knocks until Seulgi assiduously unlocks the metal locks, and covertly tugs her in by the wrist in a burst of a moment.


 

Unfastening the lock securely behind her, Seulgi turns out with both hopeful anticipation, and restless anxiety over news she has been impatiently waiting for, for the longest time.


 

“It was only time you were to come- did you hear back from him? Or any of his messengers?”


 

“I have come with crucial news- Here is the letter Lord Park Jimin had sent you through Lord Jeon Jungkook-” Yerim is barely able to breathe nor utter another word as Seulgi wails in hysteria and trepidation before she delves into the depths of her hidden pocket, and reaches out the rolled parchment letter neatly secured with its merlot, velvet ribbon.


 

Without hesitation, Seulgi snags the parchment nimbly with shaking, anticipating fingers, as she frantically passes around her bedroom aimlessly.


 

    “What are you waiting for? Go read it - “ Yerim shakes her head in confusion, with an amused smile on her face, over the discrepancy in disposition that her dear friend was showing.


 

She had always known Seulgi to be full of grace and sophistication, with splendor and elegance embodied in every entity of her being as she had been poised to be the future Queen.


 

However, now that the opportunity was just right outside her door as her path to becoming Queen was now paved - Seulgi set aside that ambition and deep-rooted objective for love. True love.


 

The blonde wondered if the penchant of enchanting attachment and the allure was sweet enough to give up everything, and what it would taste like. Perhaps, one day- but not now. Didn’t she just promise to herself to never give in to marriage and focus on the restoration of her family’s honour and pride? How can she trade away her vulnerable dignity to the hands of a man?


 

    “W-Why, yes. I should do that- “ The brunette chuckles apprehensively, running to stand on her feathered mattress with her cold, bare feet before she frantically unravels the scroll to read it.


 

    “Do you mind if I read it out loud? I believe it would be much more exciting if you knew what he wrote to me- “ Seulgi squeals with her eyes tightly closed as she warmly cradles the letter to her chest.


 

    “If there’s nothing too intimate or risky in that letter, then go ahead-” Yerim snorts in disgust, crossing her arms as she perches on the edge of the postered bed.


 

    “Alright, alright - I’ll just get right to it-” Ignoring the younger girl, Seulgi clears his throat before beginning to read out the letter loudly and clearly.



 

Dearest Little Bird,

 

    My love, no words can explain how much I miss you and cherish you, and wish for nothing but to have you by my side so I can love you with my entire being, yet that is not the reality.  It has nearly been two moons since our last meeting, the last time since I had looked into your most beguiling, captivating eyes, been two moons since I had felt the warmth of your hands on mine, two months since my lips had met yours, two moons since I had last heard the sweet, sweet sound of your melodious voice with my own ears- yet my love for you has faded no less but has strengthened and increased even more so.

 

Since we had last parted, you were the only thing on my mind, and all I asked was to see you again and spend the rest of my eternity with you. Of course, I had been reminded by Jungkook and Taehyung to keep my feet planted on the ground and to stop looking up into the clouds, hoping you’d appear out of nowhere, or at least visit me at night in my dreams.

 

With their assistance, we have been planning intricately and carefully for the perfect day and time for us to meet and marry at the most intimate and furtive of terms, and swiftly abscond from this wretched city far, far away in a place where our families, titles and duties have no place when only our love and union are all that matters.

 

Tomorrow is the perfect day, as no other day before would have worked nor any other day to come will work as impeccably as it would tomorrow. After consulting with the friars of this small church by the outskirts of King’s Landing, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, and the visions of the astrologists by the markets, we are to meet tomorrow shortly after noon to exchange our vows and make our promises for forever.

 

I await you with passionate anticipation and deliberate excitement by the front altar with the Seven Gods looking down favourably upon us, with no one else but ourselves and a few spectators- some of our dearest, more trusted friends, to witness the beauty of our love and union. I will be bringing Taehyung and Jungkook with me, perhaps Lady Yerim is the most trusted as without her, you would not have been able to read this.

 

The next time we meet again - you will be my wife as I would be your husband, and we are to never part again.

 

Your one and only true love,

Park Jimin


 

“Oh my goodness, Seulgi - that is so sweet! Who knew that Lord Park was such an eloquent, articulate writer?” Yerim yelps restlessly, breaking out into giggles and dragging the jumping Seulgi down to the bed so they can roll around on the blankets.


 

“He truly is the one for me, Yerim. This is what I’ve been waiting for all my life!” Seulgi sighs dreamily, looking into the distance with her fingers gently tangled into the blonde’s, massaging her fingers into her knuckles.


 

Yerim grinned hesitantly, as a gloomy, ominous feeling suddenly filled her stomach, that the exhilarating, thrilling idea of Seulgi and Jimin getting married suddenly reminded her of the dire consequences and responsibilities, everyone involved for their matrimony to happen would have to face once the world finds out their deed.


 

Her father had always reminded her that the truth will always come out whether we like it or not, and the time it does is not for us to decide but for fate to do so.


 

An echoing, confident voice repeatedly tries to speak over all the reiterated lies and beliefs that have flooded her head, that tragedy was somewhere close and a trap that couldn’t be avoided and was inevitable, but she chose not to listen. For once, she would not listen.


 

She just hoped the timing would be favourable and not turn the tides drastically that would bring the entire kingdom to flames as a punishment from the gods for disobeying their orders and striving outside one’s destined purpose in life.


 

    “There is much to do in such a short period of time, Yerim. Your help would make everything run so much smoother, if possible.” As Seulgi’s eyes pleaded desperately into hers, Yerim scolded herself at her weaknesses of resisting and giving in to her most beloved confidant.


 

“Of course, Seulgi. Anything for you and your happiness.”  


 

Seulgi embraces her affectionately and firmly, as the lingering scent of freshly plucked roses from her chestnut tresses brushes Yerim’s nose, leaving a reminding scent behind.

 

    “Thank you, so, so, so much, my dearest Yerim! I would have not been able to even grasp joy in my vicinity if it were not for your selflessness and kindness. Hopefully, you, too one day will be able to find the love of your life who will complete you as much as Jimin completes me.” The brunette smiles fondly as she lies on her side, her head crouched into her plumed pillow, tugging lightly on the young blonde’s strands.


 

    “A romance like yours is not written in the stars for my fate, unnie. A normal, ordinary life is all that is set in stone for me, and I am satisfied with that.” Yerim denies persistently with a playful pout, before the two break out into laughter and humorously chatter while rolling around and tangling among the rose silk quilt.



 

The sweeping, tranquil wind current of the midsummer warmth breezes through the opened, double hinged glass windows and courses through the peach lace curtains cinched in by iron bars.


 

As the euphonious, orotund melody of the pewter nightingale perched on the moss covered branch, a slight creek from its subtle movement forgotten over the enchanting, dulcet song of the bird, Yerim finds herself falling deeply into the alluring, enthralling spell of deep slumber.



 

Abruptly, the reverberating, emphatic echoes of the blaring horn agitates her and disturbs her peaceful rest, as the royal herald clearly announces its arrival over an important proclamation to be addressed to the entire kingdom.



 

    “Come on, Yeri-ah! We have to hear what the harbinger has to say! They only announce important pronouncements like royal births, marriages and council declarations.” Seulgi jumps off her bed, running over towards the sculptured, marble balustrade, as her arms were perched securely on the balmy handrail.


 

Rushing to get a glimpse of the unnatural commotion occurring in the gravel courtyards of the Haeyang headquarters, Yerim dashes to the balcony to stand next to the brunette, with their shoulders intimately touching underneath the summer heat.


 

The piercing reverberation of the monarchical horns and trumpets sounded majestically, as bystanders walking around the vivacity and liveliness in the heart of the bustling headquarters suddenly halt in full attention to the good news they hope to hear.



 

“To the dearest people of the Most Esteemed Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, most welcomed travellers and visitors,

 

the King, the Royal Family and his most trusted Noble Council are proud and honoured to present and share this exciting news that has had those from coast to coast holding their breaths in anticipation and apprehension - but it is finally here.

 

The Most Noble Royal Family of the Kingdom of Westeros, of the House of Darklyn, gladly receives and welcomes a new member of its family - the new Crown Princess, who will become the wife and partner in life and love of the Crown Prince Chanyeol, who will soon rule the kingdom as king, with her by his side.

 

Lady Kang Seulgi of the House Celtigar and the Haeyang faction is to become Crown Princess, and will be formally initiated with her welcoming ceremony on the evening of the first day of the Lunar Harvest.

 

Every free man and woman is dutily invited to witness the historic welcoming of the new Crown Princess and future Queen of the Seven Kingdoms at the Red Keep on the night of the festivities.”


 

Seulgi couldn’t believe what she was hearing - all of her life’s preparation had been leading up to this moment and opportunity, yet she felt nothing. She no longer felt any of that excitement nor pure bliss over her ultimate purpose and duty to her house and kingdom, as she had found her happiness elsewhere.


 

A heavy feeling of lethargy, disappointment and apathy flooded her being, as her sensation of fulfillment and accomplishment was long gone.


 

“Unnie, what are we going to do now?” Yerim pulls Seulgi back inside her bedroom suddenly, panic and anxiety emitting off her as she locks the glass door and slides back all curtains shut.


 

Suspiciously glancing around for any secretive, watchful eyes or witnesses, Seulgi marches over to her wooden closet and unscrews the lock open.


 

“There’s only so much we can do in a short amount of time, but at least the wedding dress is covered.” From digging into the depths of her well filled closet full of intricate, embroidered day dresses and evening gowns, she finds a particular gem she rarely wears nor ever used for spectacular events, yet no other gown would be more fitting than this one.


 

The floor length robe was made of the finest cream taffeta and porcelain hued charmeuse interweaved with freshwater pearls and laced hemlines that was secured with a moonstone decorated, ribbon belt.

 

A bateau style neckline flowed down into sheer applique sleeves of the gown, as an additional layer of elaborate brocade print embodied the dignity and grandeur of the perfect summer bride.


 

    “I’ve never seen this gown before!” Yerim gasps, as she carefully examines the gown.


 

    “It’s been well hidden for a reason, and to be used for the most important day of my life. My mother had this hand stitched by one of the best designers in the Reach for my initiation ceremony as the future Crown Princess and Queen. What she didn’t know is I’d be using it not to marry the prince, but for my one true love.” The brunette smirks mischievously as she lays out her gown for easy access for tomorrow.


 

    “That’s why tomorrow has to go smoothly, as he said in the letter. I will be telling my nurse that I am going to confession, in preparation for the welcoming ceremony, not saying it will be at the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church and say you will accompany me on that journey.


 

“Meet me here no later than an hour before an hour before noon, understood?” Seulgi insisted persistently, millions of thoughts flying in her head thousands of miles an hour as she pieces together circumstances and conditions for her wedding night to go perfectly.


 

“I will make sure your day will go perfectly- I will make sure of it.”  



 



 

The watchtower bells struck in a perpetual, steady rhythm as the royal proclamation of the kingdom messenger ceases.


 

The festivities and revelry that emerged amongst the Haeyang faction controlled ports and houses contradicted the solemn, funereal languishing amongst the Hanyang sect territory.


 

Chaeyoung takes a deep breath, tightly shutting her eyes closed as she rests on the firm mattress of her bed. Too many thoughts and opinions fly by her mind every second and every minute that she needs a solitary moment on her own to figure out what truly went on.


 

A single teardrop dropped down the curve of her cheek as the realization of failure and shame dawns upon her, as her fists clench until her knuckles turn white and her teeth grind forcefully with a persistent, gnashing sound.


 

The scarlet haired maiden wished for nothing but to be alone, to be isolated and drown in her own sorrows and misery over the downhill direction her life had headed to. Since her birth, she had always been reared in hopes of promise and potential as a noble lady of higher standing and advance into becoming a future Queen, but her family’s ambitions were immediately frustrated.


 

All due to her incompetency, her weakness, her lack of beauty and charm, intelligence and everything one needs to be to survive and last as a Queen. She had none of it, and failed her entire faction in the process.


 

    Knock. Knock. Knock. “Unnie!! Unnie!! It’s me, Sooyoung-ah! Let me in! We need to talk-”


 

A pounding, throbbing headache blurred her cloudy vision from the sudden, disturbing noise, as she s her head into her pillow, tugging at her blankets around her torso as she attempts to block out the light.


 

    “Go away, Sooyoung-ah! We can talk next time, but not now.” The elder groaned.


 

An amicable, tranquil silence erupts from both sides, before the steady, nimble footsteps from the younger are heard through the door.


 

    “I know you’re upset, but it is not the end of all things-”


 

    “It is the end of all things, Sooyoung. Who in their right mind would marry someone the Crown Prince and the Royal Family had rejected? Who would marry some left over?”


 

    “Don’t speak like that! You can finally make decisions for yourself on your own life. Isn't this why you were so hesitant to become the faction candidate in the first place? You didn’t want to be a bird in a cage?”



 

Bolting the door forcefully open, Sooyoung appears as the wooden aperture swung free with an understanding, sympathetic expression on her face as she carried an interwoven basket covered with cream broadcloth.


 

    “Cheer up, Fair Maiden - I have your favourite ginger cookies with me. I decorated them in the kitchen with the kitchen staff, children too, and they’re full of well wishes.” Perching on the edge of her bed, Sooyoung removes the protective cloth as she picks up an iced cookie and munches on them neatly.


 

Without glancing over, nor opening her eyes,  Chaeyoung grumbles frustratedly as her hands fiddle nervously with her linen blanket.


 

    “Mother hates it when we bring food to our rooms.” She responds nonchalantly.


 

Exasperated with her sister’s sulking and moping, Sooyoung grabs the unused pillow by her sister’s feet and lightly throws it against her sister’s resting form.


 

    “Never stopped us from doing it anyway - Nurse Seohyun would even bring food up for us if we didn’t feel like going downstairs to eat.” She flashes her tongue playfully, before a gentle smile appears on her face as she fondly looks at her older sister with sorrowful empathy.



 

Chaeyoung tiredly grins, sitting up and resting her torso against her bed frame, and picks out one of the baked cookies still left in the woven basket. They look outside their transparent, swept head arched window, and breathed in the fresh, summer air that came from the tilted, open awning aperture.


 

Curiously looking down, the amble galloping of copper hooved horses becomes more evident, and the burgeoning chatter and trepidation that died out after the proclamation began to come back to life.


 

“What’s all this commotion all about?” Sooyoung inquired conscientiously, peeking her head past the opened compartment as her deep, scarlet hair swung carelessly.


 

Chaeyoung frowned disorientedly, with her arms crossed and pursed eyebrows, full of bemusement and abashment as she passed around the room and swung open the door in hopes of finding a guard or servant who was aware of the presence of the unexpected guest coming soon.


 

“I believe your question will be answered soon.”  She replies perturbedly as she looks down towards the spiraling staircase, and footsteps become more persistent and urgent.


 

“Lord Lee Taemin, what brings you here so early?” Sooyoung interrogates startledly,  quickly curtsying and bowing her head in response immediately once his presence was confirmed.


 

Lord Lee Taemin was the pride and joy of the Hanyang faction - the heir of a wealthy merchant whose great-grandfather founded the House Knott on the highest hill of the Northern lands, and whose father had successfully eliminated the poachers in the mid-east region of the North.


 

    On his own, he is an accomplished equestrian, musician, writer, and warrior on his own accord, whose achievements are merrily displayed as he stands close to the Crown Prince as part of his entourage.


 

    Having recently married Lady Jeon Nayeon on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, their marriage was initially sparked out of necessity and allegiances, yet their romance had blossomed before an official betrothal was even in discussion.


 

    “Your Graces, Lady Park Chaeyoung, and Lady Park Sooyoung, I greet you with gracious welcome and apologize for the sudden interruption. Someone has come to visit Lady Sooyoung urgently and your father asks that you join him downstairs immediately.” He bows his head in deference, kneeling courteously as his fist clenched against his left chest.


 

Sooyoung pauses uncertainty, staring back and forth between her older sister and noble bannerman like a lost deer with wide, pondering eyes and a gaped mouth.

 

    

    “For me?”


 

    “That’s right, My Lady.”


 

Abruptly, she grabs onto her sister’s arms securely, locking her hands around her wrists with a pleading, beseeching solicitation.


 

    “Unnie, please be my side-” She whispers desperately, her voice hushed and silenced enough for only the two of them to understand.


 

Chaeyoung resists immediately, shaking her head in resistance and turning away as she untangles her sister’s grip around her.


 

    “You have my wholehearted support from my every being, Sooyoung-ah - But this is something for you and you alone to deal with, alright? You’ll be grateful you walked in there alone, all brave and audacious - alright?” She pats her trembling hands on her sister’s scalp, kneading it with soothing assurances.


 

After a brief moment of silent equivocation, Sooyoung nods composedly with her head held up high and proper posture with her tightened shoulders before she tucks her palm in the nook of Taemin’s elbow.


 

She makes her way down the staircase, full of dignity and decorum. As a lady of her standing should do.  


 



 

The glistening pewter and cloud tinted salon looked immaculately pristine as the sunlight’s rays pierced through the room.  The enchanting, beguiling diamond and quartz encrusted chandelier crowned the powder room in the essence of elegance and nobility- fitting for the head of the proud Hanyang faction.

 

    

    Coherent activity and stimulating palaver erupted in the room, from an assemblage of other noble lords from the faction, maesters, advisors, priests, monks, guards, knights, scholars and heralds either sat comfortably on the velvet, porpoise couch or stood rigidly as they crowded in the intimate room.


 

The moment Sooyoung finishes her final step off the granite staircase and appears amongst the crowd - every trace of noise or disturbance is muted as everyone’s attention is suddenly shifted to her.


 

    “My love, Lady Park Sooyoung. It delights me greatly to be in your company once again, and how your family had welcomed me as ardently as you had to my affections.” It was Lord Jung Hoseok, dashingly handsome in his full military regalia with his complete array of militant orders displayed on his attire.


 

He tenderly grasps her delicate hands in his own, soothing massages onto her knuckles softly before pressing them cautiously against his lips, with such care as if he feared he would hurt her even the slightest.


 

Sharply drawn gasps and shocked exclamations are heard all over the room, yet the couple remains unfazed and undaunted from their surroundings.


 

    “My Lord Jung Hoseok, we welcome you into our household as if you are one of our own.” She curtly nods, with an affectionate smile on her face as she lovingly embraces in his touch.  


 

    “To the people of Westeros, those who fight under the Hanyang faction banners and sworn fealty to the House Gadbrook - it is with utmost delight and satisfaction to oversee the exchange of true love between my youngest daughter, Lady Park Sooyoung, to Warden to the South Lord Jeon Hoseok.” The leader and head of the Hanyang faction, Lord Park Donghae, pronounced to his people with an elated grin, the lines forming in the corners of his eyes and mouth showing his age.


 

Impertinent hearsay and blather reverberates throughout the room in scandal and complete consternation from what they had just heard. No one in the kingdom, nor faction had heard or glimpsed of any coincidences that the southern warden had even expressed his affections for the youngest daughter of the faction leader.


 

    ¨Thank you, My Lord Park Donghae, who has led our faction in harmony and lawfulness with his vision and order - it means the world to me of your gracious welcome to my lowly self.

 

Henceforth, I ask, as your humble servant, if you may welcome me into your family, and that you give me the grace to love and care for your youngest daughter - the love of my life, Lady Park Sooyoung, till death to us part.” He glances at her affectionately, enveloping his warm hands around her colder ones, and presses her palms solemnly towards his forehead.


 

    ¨I fully and wholeheartedly give my blessings towards your union. I believe the joy of my life, the youngest of my children, has brought our family such bliss and elation throughout her upbringing.

 

Now, as she is of age, having newly turned at the age of seventeen, it is fully her responsibility and choice on how to live her life. Darling girl, you are free to choose what believe will bring you happiness.” Donghae approaches his daughter unhurriedly, as a trustworthy grin appears on his face as he pats her shoulder affectionately.


 

It was unheard of that a noble lord would have granted his daughter so much independence and exert this degree of free will, that everyone stood stunned and aghast that they were unable to comprehend the situation fully.


 

    ¨If I may make Lady Park Sooyoung the happiest woman in the kingdom, I ask to be able to love and cherish you with my entire being if you allow me so. I would be the happiest man in the kingdom by your side.”


 

Exhaling deeply, Sooyoung peers through her surroundings, witnessing the encouraging, warm nods of her father, her servants, fellow noble lords, ladies and the adoring pleas of the man who proposes his entire life to be with her forever.


 

    ¨Will you, dear?” Her father asks faintly, a thundering sound amongst the reticent room who are waiting so anxiously that one can hear the pin drop.


 

Tick.

 

Tock.

 

Tick.

 

Tock.

 

The clock strikes one past noon, as the hummingbirds fly off their nests and sing their melodious songs underneath the full glory of the summer light.


 

    ¨I will, Lord Hoseok. It will make me no happier than to be by your side forever, my love.”

 


 

“Are you’re we’re still going through with this?”

 

Jungkook groaned loudly as he sped up to keep up with the anxious, impatient pace Jimin was making towards the church on the outskirts of the capital city.


 

He clutched his velvet surcoat closer against his chest, fiddling with the golden links holding it together before he tugged on the hood further to hide his identity. Looking up, the picturesque weather gave such an enchanting aura that it seemed unreal and too good to be true.


 

The pine forest and juniper trees had no trace of the long forgotten storms and battles that had stained their trunks and shedding leaves. The pattern of trees outlined an ornament of sea waves, curling around eternally in streams of rich emerald and jade.


 

    “Trust me, Jungkook-ah! How many times have we gone over the plans from finding the church to our elopement?”


 

    “Approximately nineteen times.”


 

    “See? We’re more than ready for this - this is all I’ve been waiting for, right?” Park Jimin halts suddenly, his elated mood dropping to sincere earnestness as he places his palm on Jungkook’s shoulder.


 

Defeatedly, Jungkook sighs, knowing that he couldn’t do anything. This is all Jimin wanted anyway- to be happy.     


 

“Alright, alright - now hurry up if you want to plan to work perfectly.”


 

The two boys run ferociously against the wind, dressed in their best wear in trimmed fur and finest silk as they made their way towards the church.

 

Jimin looked dapper and suave in his merlot velour doublet outlined in golden embroidery, his prized Valyrian sword had passed down from generation and generation clipped onto his leather belt.


 

The glow that emitted from his was beyond happiness nor satisfaction, but one of pure euphoria and jubilation as he will finally join the love of his life in matrimony that was beyond comprehension.


 

Facing the anterior of the church, its carved stone surface surpassed the test of time and nature, as its beauty was crowned with its towering, bolted wooden doors and consummated in its allure with the stained glass that pierced the light through the church with its luminous hues.


 

The gods, deities, hailed saints, angels, cherubims and seraphims were visibly presented, portrayed as if they were lifelike and about to come out of the glass at any moment as they displayed them in the midst of their daily routines and religious portrayals of key moments in sacred scripture.


 

Jungkook knocks thrice, gripping on the circular iron handle securely before banging it ferociously against the oak door that safely shielded the church from the evil of the outside world.

 

 

    “Friar Leeteuk! Friar Leeteuk, it is Jungkook and I! Park Jimin!” The faction heir shouted frantically against the rattling against the gate.


 

Friar Leeteuk, in his monkly carob robe that was plain sans an ivory robe tied across his waist, slammed the door open in heavy distress. Sweat dripped from his temple, and his eyes were bloodshot in suspicion and cynicism before grasping his chest in relief over the commotion that had occurred.


 

“Dear boys, you have scared me so! Alas, welcome, welcome, come in, the gods welcome you gladly!” Leeteuk chuckles warmly, embracing the boys as if they were his own sons before urging the boys to enter the church.


 

“We apologize for the lack of warning, Holy Brother. We were supposed to arrive at shortly between halfway by noon but it is not even close to the eleventh hour and we are already here.” Jungkook apologizes, side glancing his older friend with obvious suspicion.

 

Past the smooth, creamy,  stoned columns, pillars and stained windows, they entered the laboriously cared yet minimalistic church that was mainly characterized by its sculptures of the gods, and hickory hued pulpit covered with a red and gold banner of the Seven Gods.


 

“Ah, the eager groom isn’t it - it is always such joy to see such pure love manifesting in the universe, like with Lord Jimin and Lady Seulgi.” The friar ponders humorously as the two sit patiently by the front pews, before he makes his way to the altar to prepare for the ceremony.


 

“She should be here anytime soon.” Jimin utters restlessly, tapping his fingers against his trembling thigh. He apprehensively looks around with wandering eyes and peeks behind his shoulder over and over as he waited for her to appear.


 

Jungkook expected anguish over the conspiracy he had helped develop over societal expectations, yet instead felt thrilled and stimulation through his veins. It’s as if he was on his own adventure outside the typical routine he had experienced in the faction headquarters.


 

However, thrills like this never end well. Tragedy always spikes from the most invigorating experiences.


 

Time seemed to course through slowly, painfully and achingly, as if each moment pierced through Jimin’s every being. Every second away from his love agonized and contused his existence.


 

He stares at the clock with watchful eyes, biting on his lips nervously, fearing that something would have skirmished the intricate plan he had dedicated so much time and care into.

 

Tick.

 

Tock.

 

Tick.

 

Tock.

 

It was five past the apex of the day - the sun thoroughly widening its scope in full capability as the hottest wave of heat encompasses the small town.

 

    “I don’t think she’ll be coming anytime soon, hyung. If she’s not here by now, she’s never coming.” Jungkook declares defeatedly, as his face was covered in disappointment.


 

Jimin refused to give up. No. He knew he couldn’t retreat so easily in the name of love. No matter what way, he would do anything for love.


 

He would wait an eternity just for her to return to him. He’d die waiting if he had to.


 

Abruptly, the wooden door swings open- and Lady Seulgi appears, immaculately dressed in her white gown. She leaps in joy before she races to jump into Jimin’s arms, and plants a passionate kiss on his lips.  


 

What Jungkook didn’t expect- was to see Lady Kim Yerim trailing behind her. He thought that once the letters would stop intercepting ; it would be the end of their interactions. He was definitely wrong, like many times.


 

    “My love!” Jimin cries out.


 

    “I have missed you so much, Jimin! I feared I would never see you again.” Seulgi responds in distress, as she fondly caresses his cheek with her palms.


 

Yerim glares at Jungkook suspiciously, crossing her arms coldly as she glances away from his presence.

 

    “What are you doing here, Lord Jeon?” She asks, as they walk side by side towards the front altar.


 

“I should be asking you the same, Lady Kim. Why- I am here to serve as my dear brother’s witness to their marriage.” Jungkook crooks an eyebrow teasingly, as they sit on opposite sides of the front pews.

 

 

She snorts sarcastically, before she watches Jimin and Seulgi kneel facing the altar, and fold their hands in deep prayer.


 

Friar Leeteuk appears in his cobalt robe, intended for special occasions and religious holidays that are grandly celebrated in the liturgical calendar of the Seven Gods.


 

He looks towards the end of the church halls, spreads his arms up like an eagle before grabbing the golden goblet in front of him and raising it up as a sacrifice for all present to witness.


 

    “Dearest brothers and sisters, we have gathered here today to witness the holy matrimony of Park Jimin of the Hanyang faction and the Haeyang faction. Today, the eternal strife of the two houses is put to rest as a testament of their love.”


 

“It is my duty to do the same.” The blonde whispers furtively, not leaving her eyes on the ceremony.


 

“Is everything a duty to you, Lady Kim. Even a small favour to your dearest friend? A companion you treat as your sister?” The brunet retorts.


 

“As nobles, we must fulfill our duties to the best of our abilities, of course - but you cannot lie that you do not completely agree with this marriage-”


 

Yerim may have spoken too loudly, as all the attention was focused on her. The friar looked at her in confusion, with a quiet hesitation in his expression.


 

The couple stand from their genuflection, enveloping into an intimate embrace with their fingers interlocked as pained, anguished countenance paints their body language.


 

    “I partially agree, my lady. As much as I am all in for true love, we must be aware the circumstances of our houses are not at its best at the moment.” Jungkook nods.

 

 

Jimin gasps in fury over the betrayal that had ensued right in his presence, and right in front of the holy altar of the Seven Gods themselves.


 

“Have the two of you have any shame left-” Seulgi snides bitterly.


 

“Dear children, this marriage is a stepping stone for the reconciliation we have been begging for centuries to happen. The plan is that once the marriage is revealed, the two factions will have no choice to reconcile over their common denominator.” Leeteuk exhales in frustration, rubbing his eyes tiredly.


 

Cumbersomely, Jungkook and Yerim exchange defeated,  resigned glances towards one another in a battle they know they cannot win. They have been outnumbered from their reason for idealism and optimism once again.

 

They were the only logical ones able to look past the sweet, honeymoon stage of the early period of this passionate romance, when one knows that the fire that burns too strongly, too quickly will burn the entire kingdom to ashes. 

 

  

    “Is there any opposition to this marriage?” The friar asks definitely.

 

    “No.


 

    “No.



 

...

 

A/N: Here it is, my loves! I've been most anxious and careful about writing this critical chapter - because it plays such a big role on the rest of what is to come for our characters! I've been really busy with school+work+conferences and dealing with my own health, but now that spring break is coming soon and I've managed to fix my sleep schedule - I have made time! 

 

Please don't forget to comment, subscribe, share this, or even just hit me up for a quick chat! Your feedback and support really means the world to me. <3 xoxo 

 

P.S: Some background on the Christian church vs Seven Gods temple confusion - the church is a separate domination of faith that was accepted by King Chilhyun II nearly 340 years before current time. A monotheistic faith that grew in influence in the Eastern Cities became such a threat that they were persecuted and went through a genocide before they had to make a pilgrimage across the sea to practice their faith peacefully. They travelled a long journey from Dorne until the outskirts of King's Landing. Due to their exhaustion and lack of resources, they could not continue further to the capital of King's Landing, and surrendered their loyalty and allegiance to the current king in exchange for their warm welcoming and acceptance into the kingdom. Expecting a violent attack, the king was appalled beyond shock, and generously allowed them to practice their faith as long as they remained outside of King's Landing and built a separate church of their singular God. 

 

60 years later, the church was burnt to the ground by bandits and the surrounding, flourishing town on the outskirts, and forced the believers of this faith to find refuge elsewhere. King Chilhyun II's grandnephew, Chilhyun III, gave a strict permission to allow a regulated amount of believers into the walled city, for a brief period of time. 

 

The only descendant left of the original evangelist who led the pilgrimage who was still living, named Bada was among the desperate migrants who moved into the walled city in hopes of seeking a second chance. Secretly wandering in the streets was Chilhyun's eldest son and heir, Prince Heejun, who was curious over the existence of these mysterious people, and quickly fell in love with the beautiful, young lady. 

 

They shortly eloped outside the city, and were officiated by one of the surviving priests of the faith in the crowded slums they had occupied just by the marketplace. Heejun renounced his faith in the Seven and adhered to the faith of his new wife. Seeking for an opportunity to dethrone his older brother, Prince Kyuhyun immediately reported this news to his father, who then immediately banished his heir and his bastard wife, before declaring Kyuhyun as the new crown prince. 

 

Heejun and Bada returned back to the scorched ashes of the church, and led the believers to return to their homeland to restore the glory of their old faith. By the time they had moved back to their new city, they had intermingled and converted with believers of the Seven Gods, and were influenced by the faith shortly. 

 

By the time the church had been rebuilt during Heejun and Bada's son Kangta's time as city pariah, the church had been built with a co-existing influence of both Seven Gods and the monotheistic God his mother had believed in, influenced by his wife who hailed from the House Gardner. Kyuhyun's son Sungmin negotiated with his uncle's descendants to allow their faith to be practiced only outside the outskirts of King's Landing, and their own marriage laws will be strictly respected, even if a proportionate sum of the eventually wealth church's income will go back to the Iron Throne. 

 

Today, the church is recognized as an independent entity of its own, and has its own protocol of marriage that allowed one to only marry once, and prohibits divorce or annulment. Due to this, the royal court technically cannot fully disregard the legality of Jimin and Seulgi's marriage, yet the Crown and entire Noble Court do not officially acknowledge it as a legitimate marriage, as Seulgi is legally bonded to marry Crown Prince Chanyeol as future Crown Princess. 

 

Special thanks to Frenzy for making me reconsider this part of the complicated history in this fic and making me think this through! Love you hun! 

  

Song: "Never Let Me Go" by Florence + The Machine