A glimmer of hope

One Winter Night

One winter night, one the busy streets of Seoul, a honey-coloured hair boy around the age of 19 crouched down, drenched in the rain, with passer-bys giving him no attention. He curled himself up and leaned back against the cold metal railings around Han River. He had thought of suicide a hundred of times, only trying it about 10 times, yet managed to fail. Tonight, he had come to Han River to give it a one last try, but had sat on the pavement a little more longer. He moved his eyes around the streets, gazing at all types of people, businessmen, store managers, etc. They all seem to be glancing at their watches, walking with quick footsteps to get home.


Home. Sounds so close, yet so far away. The strange word on the tip of his tongue had a foreign feeling to it. After all, he is a boy who ran away from home a multiple of times... or let's just say, at every chance he get. With a stepfather beating him up and abusing him every night, a mother so defenceless she couldn't even protect herself, let alone her child, and a brother who's away from home... Baekhyun couldn't bring himself to stay there any longer. Yes. His name was Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. He threw away his stepfather's first name and kept his mother's.

Their cozy little home he lived in when he was young, was long gone, and the current apartment that they lived in had became a place full of drugs, weed, pills, alcohols, every single type of shady things. He clenched his fists in bitterness. If only his mother hadn't marry that douchebag.. things wouldn't have turned out this way.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and braced himself for what's going to happen. His hands shook as he grabbed the railing and forced himself to climb upon. Just as he was about to climb, a hand on his shoulder stopped him. He shook his head and tells himself to ignore whoever the person is, and that he'll go away soon. Whenever he decides to suicide, something always stopped him. He's not going to let the person stop him now.

But the stranger forcefully grabbed his hand and pulls Baekhyun to him. The suicidal boy crashes face first into the stranger's broad chest. His eyes widened and he took a step backwards to take a look at the person. He has brown, curly hair with matching shade of brown eyes, fair skin, elfish ears and a tall and lanky build to top it all up. Baekhyun's first impression of him was that he was a yoda, because of his ears.

"What the are you trying to do?!" the "yoda" shouted at Baekhyun, and the smaller one's eyes narrowed, crossing his arms.

"Was about to suicide, obviously."

The curly-haired stranger glared at him, "Why were you going to suicide in the first place, anyway?"

"You ask too many questions. Second, who are you?"

"Well, my name is Park Chanyeol. You?" the stranger, who now had a name, replied.

"Byun Baekhyun. And what were you doing around here?"

"Who's the one asking questions now?" Chanyeol asked and quirked an eyebrow but when he saw Baekhyun's death glare, he sighed. "Well, if you absolutely have to know, I'm a trainee at S.M Entertainment. As you can see, you can get to our company just by crossing the streets and walk a few blocks ahead, so I like to wander around at night." he answered Baekhyun's  question, and points to a company looming in the distance.

"S.M Entertainment..? But that.. is my dream." Baekhyun muttered to himself, his voice almost becoming an whisper.

"Your dream? You want to become an idol?" 

"Not an idol. Not exactly, no. I just want to sing, I guess. I loved singing since I was young. It had been my passion for so long. But.. it's impossible to accomplish my dream now."

"Why not? You look around the same age as me, and I'm a trainee at SME. Why not give it a try?" Chanyeol asked curiously.

"I lost hope now. The most singing I did in the past years was either in the shower, or out in the fields where no one will see me, or hear me. I doubt I have that kind of voice that captivates anyone, anymore." Baekhyun smiled sadly and Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows.

"Baekhyun.. you can sing a song to me if you want." 

The smaller boy glanced at him in surprise. "What? Right now?"

Chanyeol nodded happily. "Well, not exactly here, but back at our company. That way I can hear you better. I can barely hear you at all on the streets, with the people and the cars.."

But Baekhyun had lost all attention. His mind wandered back to the days when he performed in front of everyone in a small village where he lived with his mom, his brother and his grandma. Everyone had known each other one way or another, and they were all close with each other. His passion for singing had started back then, when he stood on a mini stage at the village festival and sang his heart out. He had received a standing ovation from everyone back then. He was only a twelve.. yet he had a dream. He worked hard day and night to achieve his dream, auditioning at every chance he gets, until his stepfather had come along. His real father had left him since he was a baby, so it wasn't a problem as he didn't remember him. His stepfather has hated his guts since he arrived, telling him that he won't achieve his dream behind everyone's back. He was at least afraid of his grandma, but when she died... it had become a nightmare for everyone. His dreams crashed and his brother, old enough to live on his own, moved away with his wife. 

Baekhyun and his mother suffered and the stepfather forced the both of them to move from the small village and into the city. He tried to find a way to achieve his dream now that they were in Seoul, but it was no luck either. His stepfather had found out and that was the reason he had been beating up Baekhyun everyday, leaving him covered with bruises and cuts each day.

But now... he was going to sing again? In front of a complete stranger, too? Baekhyun took a deep breath and prepared himself. He opened his eyes and found Chanyeol smiling softly at him, lending his hand. Baekhyun smiled back gratefully, took his hand, and soon, they found themselves walking along the snowy streets to the company. And soon, Baekhyun didn't feel as lonely anymore.

They arrived at the company quickly, and Chanyeol pressed his fingerprint on the little mini screen on the glass doors. It opened and they went inside.

Chanyeol took the boy inside the practice room, where trainees practice everyday, except Baekhyun noticed that this isn't a common practice room for everyone, and that it had a sign hung that read 'EXO' on the door. He asked Chanyeol about it and the taller guy lit up.

"That's our group name! We're going to be debuting as EXO after about eight months. We all had long years of practice and so we're ready for it." 

Baekhyun was going to ask what he meant by 'we' but he didn't need to, because Chanyeol kept explaining. "And by we, we as in me and 10 other guys! Unfortunately, we need 12 members to debut and we're one person short. Our CEO and the S.M casting system had been working for it, but no luck so far. But I hope we find a talented person soon so that we can quickly debut! Of course, he's going to have a very short period of training, but that's okay. Practice hard, and he'll succeed."

Chanyeol kept babbling on until he notices Baekhyun, standing there awkwardly, nodding at what he says. He pulled out a chair from the corner and let Baekhyun sit on it.

"What position are you, Chan?"

"I'm a rapper, Baek." he replied and they both looked at each other before bursting out, laughing.

"I have no idea where these nicknames just popped up from." Baekhyun grinned and they both smiled at each other.

"So, are you ready to sing now?" Chanyeol asked and the smaller boy shook his head.

"Sort of. Do you have a practice piano around here somewhere?"

Chanyeol nodded quickly and as fast as a rocket, he brings Baekhyun a practice piano and Baekhyun nodded. He was all set.

"You play?" the tall guy asked and the boy sitting on the chair nodded. 

"It's been so long since I played but.. oh well."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and started to press his fingers against the keyboard delicately. He imagined himself being with his family again back in the small village, and that the younger version of himself was here, and not him. He opened his mouth to sing and the familiar melodies came out of his mouth. He was singing 'Baby Don't Cry' an original piece written by him a long time ago. Now that he was singing it again, he felt blissful as if everything is back to normal.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol is watching him play with an awestruck expression on his face, his heart beating so rapidly that it might burst out of his chest. He had never seen anyone like him before, but something about this boy.. just attracts him. He makes him feel like he has to protect the small guy with all his life, and love him with all his life. It was like love in first sight.

None of them noticed the CEO watching in the doorway, both too occupied with one person playing the piano and singing, and the other watching the one playing.

Baekhyun finally finished his song, and Chanyeol snapped out of his daydream, clapped like a seal, unable to say anything and just looked at Baekhyun's blushing face. But both of them turned around rapidly when they hear another person clapping.

It was the CEO himself.

They both gasped and bowed at the same time and the CEO approached them.

"Hello, Chanyeol, and hello to you there. My name is Mr. Lee and I'm the CEO of this company. Your voice was wonderful, dear. It just made me thought of something. What's your name, dear boy?"

"M-my name is Byun B-Baekhyun, sir." the blushing boy stuttered over the compliment, and it somehow warms the CEO's heart.

"Please, call me Mr.Lee. Anyways, like I said just now, I just thought of a brilliant idea. Chanyeol, you know how EXO is missing just one trainee to debut, right?" Mr.Lee said and Chanyeol nodded slowly.

"And, I think we just found the perfect person for it." the elder smiled and looked directly at Baekhyun, the latter stunned and unable to speak. Meanwhile, Chanyeol got what the CEO meant and his whooping around, celebrating.

"Welcome to S.M Entertainment, Byun Baekhyun. You are now an official trainee and the last official member of EXO." the CEO smiled, and left the room to make some calls to their manager and staff, plus the rest of the EXO members.

"Oh my god, Baek! This is so awesome! You're in the team! Hurray!" Chanyeol yelled and hugged Baekhyun, who was now a blushing mess, hugging him back. Then he smiled genuinely at the rapper. Finally. His dream will come true! From now on, he will never give a single thought of his stepfather, and will live happily together with his bandmates. Of course, he will miss his mother and his brother, but he's glad that maybe someday they'll get to see him on TV. Maybe someday they will get to come see him at their concerts. But he can't dream much, because he doesn't know how popular their group will be. One thing he can tell for sure is that all of this was because of his lovely grandmother who is now an angel in heaven, watching over him. He had secretly believed that all these failed attempts on suicide was all because of his grandmother. He smiled at the dim memory of his grandma and looked up.

"Thank you... grandma. I love you. I promise I'll make you proud." he whispered softly. He had to achieve his dream now that he had come this far. All for the sake of his grandmother.

 


Okay guys, this is my first and my own, fanfic. Of my favourite OTP, Chanbaek. I appreciate it if you guys read this, review, and send me your own ideas on how to make the storyline more better. I still lack a lot in this department, but i hope i improve! Thanks!