Winter's Warmth

For August, October, and December

Christmas, as people always said, is a perfect occasion to return home to your family.

 

This is certainly true, and for someone who has been away from home for so long like Joshua, returning home is something very meaningful.

 

Going back to Korea to pursue his passion for music, and though Joshua is not a superstar, just a singer with a guitar singing every night at cafés, he has no reason to hate this job. Music and coffee, the two things he loves the most in one place, just perfect.

 

But because he was so into this job, for many holiday seasons, Joshua has only been able to see his family who is living halfway around the world through video calls. So when he knows that he will have the opportunity to go home this year, he couldn’t be any happier.

 

A friend of Joshua, who is about to debut as a singer, was making his debut album and wanted Joshua to join in on the album, followed by a small tour to promote. All those stuff would be done in New York, so he agreed because he wanted to help his friend and at the same time, there would be more opportunities to go home.

 

However, due to some difficulties in the process, he couldn’t come to Los Angeles until Christmas even though he’s been in the States for almost one year. But it’s okay because now he can be with his family this Christmas. And because this is also the last stop of the tour, this time he will have more time at home, maybe 1 or 2 months.

 

Being with family is a great happiness, but this time Joshua won’t be able to feel the warmth from his two lovers.

 

Seungcheol and Jeonghan, the two of them are Joshua’s second family, and also the greatest consolation for Christmas when he can’t be with his own family.

 

Joshua remembers their first Christmas together. That day, on the way home after the show, he saw some children with their parents and they look so happy, suddenly he just wanted to go to the airport immediately. But the reality is not so simple, you can’t just do anything at anytime you want, so he could feel pity for himself and went home.

 

When he just entered the doorway, Jeonghan ran fast to hug him tightly and smiled happily at him.

 

“Welcome home.”

 

Before Joshua could be aware of anything, Seungcheol stepped forward and put a light kiss on his forehead.

 

“You did great today, now go clean yourself so we can celebrate Christmas, oh, not before you call your mom and dad.”

 

Joshua wasn’t someone who can easily shed any tears, but that time, the only thing he could do is to let Seungcheol and Jeonghan hold him tightly in their embrace and cried like a little kid. To be honest, since leaving home until then, he has never felt the winter so warm like this.

 

During his usual talk with Seungcheol and Jeonghan today, the two of them kept telling Joshua that he’s so lucky to be with his parents at Christmas. Yes, he is indeed very lucky in this aspect, but right now they also have something he doesn’t, at least two of them are in the same time zone.

 

Because of this problem, sometimes Joshua feels like he is left out. They can communicate with each other at any time without having to worry about the time difference, while he always has to consider whether to call them in order to not disturb them when they are working or sleeping.

 

Joshua has no doubt in their love, but when you are living half a day away from your lovers, it’s understandable if you have the feeling you can somehow disturb them.

 

“Shua, is anything wrong? You know you can call us anytime, right? We’ll here for you even when we’re sleeping.”

 

These guys, how can they just read his mind easily like that?

 

“I just need you two right here, beside me.”

 

Not only Joshua, Seungcheol and Jeonghan certainly want to, but they have promised each other, so they can’t just give up now.

 

Seungcheol stays in Korea to take all the opportunities for his promotion.

 

Jeonghan goes to Osaka to learn every useful thing for his job.

 

And Joshua, he will continue his passion in the States and will spend as much time with his family as possible.

 

It’s just only one year, they have spent the summer and autumn away from each other, and now that almost half the winter has passed, they will be together very soon, when the spring comes.

 

“Shua, remember to wake up early tomorrow.”

 

Joshua doesn’t understand what Jeonghan means by that, but he just smiles and slightly nods, not saying anything else.

 

The day Joshua came to this life, it wasn’t a sunny summer day or an autumn day filled with cool breezes, but a cold day in winter. Maybe that’s the reason why he needs the warmth, the warmth of his mother the moment he was born, the warmth of his family later on, and now, the warmth of his two lovers.

 

And because of the need of so much warmth, sometimes just a little thing can make him feel heart-warming and happy inside.

 

8 AM, Christmas day, which is midnight in Korea and Japan, Seungcheol and Jeonghan still stay awake after a long day of work just to make a call to Joshua because they know how much he needs them right now.

 

“Have a warm Christmas, Shua. You know we’re still right beside you, right?”

 

Joshua’s winter, everything just feels very warm.

 

======================

 

Now that this small series come to an end after about 5 months, I just want to send my gratitude to everyone who took interested in my story and willing to wait such a long time for only 3 part of a story, thank you everyone~~~~~~~~~

 

Merry Christmas~~~~~~~~~~~