August Sky

For August, October, and December

Seungcheol can’t understand why on earth there’s someone who wants to discuss work in the middle of the day like this client. It’s summer now, and it’s freaking 1 PM, but he has to wait for the client’s driver with him. Seungcheol wonders what takes that driver so long to get just a car. He has no choice anyway, the client said that he will consider about the contract with the company he’s working for, so he just can’t leave the other man waiting in this hot weather alone. The driver arrives at about 10 minutes later, so Seungcheol quickly finishes the conversation with the client before sending him off.

 

When the car is getting smaller and smaller, Seungcheol goes back to the café where he discussed with the client. He calls for another blue ocean soda, makes a call to the company to report, then asks for permission for a half-day off. It’s just that Seungcheol doesn’t want to go to work for the rest of the day.

 

August is here, which means summer is coming to an end, but it’s still freaking hot. A cool drink like this blue ocean soda is perfect for this weather. This is also his favorite drink, not only because of the taste or the refreshment it brings but also because of its blue color. The blue ocean is, of course, the color of the sea, but he likes to associate it with the sky. You can’t see the ocean every day, but the sky can always be seen, right?

 

Seungcheol loves the sky in August. In his eyes, the sky looks most beautiful in the summer, especially in August. But… he does not know why he especially likes the August sky. Someone once said that because August is his birth month so he may feel more special. That sounds reasonable though.

 

Speaking of August, Seungcheol’s birthday is just a few days away. This year’s birthday will be very boring because he’s just here by himself, no family, no lover. His parents are not in Seoul, but he doubts they have any free time to come here so they may just wish him a happy birthday through the phone like most years. About lover… Seungcheol isn’t single, but he doesn’t just have one, he has two lovers. Sadly, neither of them can be here with him.

 

Seungcheol thinks he has a strange relationship because he has two lovers. The three have almost no common thing, from character to personal taste, despite all of that, they still love each other. Until now, he still feels that being able to meet them was the best part of his life.

 

But now, because of their own careers, they have to separate for one year. Now it’s already halfway to that “one year”, but Seungcheol’s still not familiar with this emptiness. They still see each other every day, but only through video calls, and with Seungcheol, only seeing their faces is never enough. He misses the hot milk that Jeonghan made him drink every night. He misses Joshua’s nagging voice every night about how he was staying too late to work. And what he misses the most, is their warmth.

 

Seungcheol looks outside through the glass. The sky’s still so blue today, and it reminds him of the time they went picnic together, also in August. He remembers Jeonghan said this to him.

 

“Didn’t know a guy like you can love the sky like this.”

“Then what kind of guy do you think I am?”

“The boring kind?”

 

One Jeonghan was already enough, but Joshua also laughed along. Really, sometimes Seungcheol feels like being bullied.

 

“So what? I love looking at the sky, just like I love looking at you guys, don’t you guys know this?”

 

Seungcheol sees Jeonghan and Joshua as his own August sky because he thinks that calling his lovers what he likes best sounds very nice. But he never told the two of them about this thought, he thinks they might call him cheesy because of this.

 

Each of the past few days, Seungcheol always spend some while looking at the sky because it can make him feel like Jeonghan and Joshua are right by his side. He thinks this is the best way for him to not long for them too much. Jeonghan and Joshua won’t be happy if they know he’s lacking focus on his work because of them.

 

Having to live far from each other for half a year, though difficult at first, Seungcheol still manage to endure the loneliness. Now he just needs to do his best for another half year, he will be able to see his loved ones again, give them a tight embrace and feel their warmth. When they come back here, he will definitely tell them how much he missed them, he thinks they will probably spend the whole night just to talk. Talking face to face is better than talking on the phone, not to mention every day they can just be on the phone for half an hour, surely there are still many things they couldn’t tell him yet.

 

Thinking of it, Seungcheol can’t help but laugh at himself. Maybe he’s already missing them so much that he’s crazy now, sitting here thinking about 6 months later. And it looks like he has been daydreaming for so long because the ice in the soda has already melted. Quickly drinks the rest from the glass, Seungcheol stands up and leaves the café.

 

Stepping through the door separating the air-conditioned space with the hot weather outside, he thinks the best way to enjoy his half-day off is to go home and sleep until dinner. It’s not rush hour now so the subway shouldn’t be very crowded, which is a good thing. While walking to the subway station, Seungcheol looks up at the sky for a moment and smiles. At that moment, a thought suddenly pops up in his mind. Maybe when they come back, he should tell them one thing, no matter how they may , he just thinks that he has to say it.

 

“Jeonghan, Joshua, you two are my August sky, my very own August sky.”

 

Seungcheol’s August is not like Jeonghan’s October or Joshua’s December. His August’s weather can make people easily frustrated, but in return, it has the most beautiful sky, he can feel very comfortable just by looking at it.

 

And this pleasant feeling is just like what he feels whenever he’s with Jeonghan and Joshua.

 

Seungcheol’s August sky somehow resembles the two guys he loves so much.