Autumn Breeze

For August, October, and December

Jeonghan exhaustingly walks to the front of the apartment, finally be able to reach his space of peace. Having lived in this city for more than half a year, he still can’t stand the subway in rush hours, and though it’s Friday night, he just can’t be joyful at all. Fortunately, autumn has arrived so the weather is very fine now. He’s so tired that he just wants to go to bed right away, dinner can be skipped.

 

But his intention is quickly put away as soon as he enters the apartment because he sees Seungkwan placing dishes on the table. He knows this boy definitely won’t let him skip any meal.

 

More than half a year ago, the company Jeonghan is working at had a program for the employees to work in Osaka in one year to gather more experiences. There were five more people went with Jeonghan in this program, and Seungkwan was one of them. This boy is in the same department with him so they are also very close, making it quite easy to stay together.

 

“How was the checkup this morning?"

“It’s just I’ve been working a little too much, so the body got a bit weak, don’t worry.”

“I know you too well. You always pretend to be fine and never tell anyone when you’re tired. A kid like you, if I don’t keep my eyes on, who knows what bad thing will happen.”

 

This boy is always cheerful, and sometimes he seems overly carefree but Jeonghan knows he’s like that because he doesn’t want to make everyone worry. Many times Jeonghan has told him that he can always say it if he feels tired. He doesn’t know if Seungkwan would ever absorb his words but yesterday that boy fainted at the company, and he had to use the threatening method to make Seungkwan take a day off and go to the hospital today.

 

Thinking about this, Jeonghan laughs. This kid is just like him in the past.

 

Jeonghan remembers it was also an autumn day like today, his sickness was so bad that he was hospitalized. When he woke up, he saw his two best friends sitting right on his sides, their expressions were so terrible that he couldn’t help laughing out loud.

 

“You guys, stop frowning like that, it’s not that I died or anything.”

“Shut up, don’t you dare say that again.”

 

That Seungcheol, always so fierce. Jeonghan turned to Joshua pretending to be fragile, the other guy just smiled and hit him slightly on the forehead. It was one of the rare days Yoon Jeonghan felt like he was being bullied.

 

“Hey Jeonghan, what are you thinking?”

“Nothing. By the way, leave the dishes to me, you go take some rest.”

 

Not giving Seungkwan any seconds to react, Jeonghan quickly pushes the boy towards his bedroom before returns to the table to clean up. When he finishes everything, the phone rang, it’s Seungcheol and Joshua calling.

 

Today’s conversation is still the same as the other days. Seungcheol still doesn’t want to give up his game of being a little kid, saying that he misses him and Joshua very much. When Jeonghan and Joshua discovered this aspect of Seungcheol, they were more than terrifying because it doesn’t seem to fit with his appearance. Jeonghan continues to sing the “remember to drink milk before bed” song for Seungcheol, but he doesn’t really expect the other guy to follow his words, he just wants to a little. Joshua still doesn’t talk very much, just sitting quietly watching his two lovers teasing each other and smiling warmly, but occasionally he will side with Jeonghan to tease Seungcheol.

 

“You guys, it’s been almost 3 years, right?”

 

For some reason, Jeonghan suddenly reminds himself of the day when the three of them officially became lovers.

 

At a café with outdoor space, only the three of them, a small cake for Jeonghan’s birthday and the witness of the autumn breezes.

 

“I know it may sound weird but… Jeonghan, Joshua, I’m in love both of you.”

“You know what’s weirder? Somehow I’m feeling the same way.”

 

Seungcheol and Joshua looked straight at Jeonghan while he kept silent. A little while later, he closed his eyes for a moment, sensing the cool breezes touching every inch of his skin, then took a deep breath and started to speak.

 

“I used to think the most magical thing ever happened to me is that I can fall in love with two people at the same time. But now I found a more magical thing than that, the two people I love have just confessed to me.”

 

From that year’s October, autumn holds an important place in Jeonghan’s, especially its breezes.

 

Autumn is neither hot like summer nor cold like winter, Jeonghan thinks that it’s because of the breezes. Those breezes are not even strong but they can make people feel comfortable. Jeonghan always go out on the balcony when he feels stressed because he can feel soothing with all small breezes.

 

Jeonghan loves the autumn breezes because they make him feel like his two lovers are right by his side.

 

To Jeonghan, Seungcheol is the excitement of summer, Joshua is the warmth in the cold winter, and they don’t have anything to do with autumn. But the breezes can make him relaxed and forget all his tiredness, just like when he’s with them.

 

After an exhausting working day, Jeonghan could sit on the sofa, leaning his head on Seungcheol’s shoulders, holding Joshua’s hand tight, the three would watch a movie or sometimes do nothing, just sit there and feel the warmth of each other. This kind of comfort, though can never compare to when he’s with Seungcheol and Joshua, is enough for him at the moment.

 

Just a few more months and Jeonghan will be together with Seungcheol and Joshua again, but now, maybe he must rely on the breezes out there.

 

Back to reality from his thoughts, Jeonghan notices Seungcheol and Joshua are talking about something, but he couldn’t hear anything with all the things going on in his mind just then. He suddenly smiles and says something causing the other two to pause, but then quickly smile back at him.

 

“I love you two so much.”