Chapter 3

Soldiers

"I bet I can finish this faster than you!"

"Well, I'll bet all my money you're gonna lose."

Sooyoung and Yuri were staring intensely at the bottles of cola.

"Alright. Whoever finishes one bottle without burping gets to kiss Sica!" 

"What?! No! You can't do that! My baby will bury me alive!" 

"Oh come on! Be flexible Yul."

Just then, Jessica comes in.

"Whoever kisses me except for Seobang will be dead the next morning." Jessica warned in a low voice.

Sooyoung gulped.

"Okay..."

Then, she turned to Yuri.

"Seobang~" Jessica whined like a cute puppy.

"Oh my god, she's bipolar." Sooyoung muttered under her breath.

Yuri smirked at Sooyoung as if teasing her for not having a girlfriend.

Sooyoung pouted sadly and got up to join Hyoyeon in her soccer game.

 

***

 

"Kim Hyoyeon! Kim Hyoyeon!" The crowd of soldiers cheered for the star soccer player.

Every week, the soldiers of SK army base will have a friendly soccer match. Well, that's their only source of entertainment. Anyways, the all-star team usually wins the matches as they have the best player on their team. The legendary Kim Hyoyeon. She may be short but she can play much better than the big, strong men. Sooyoung and Yuri plays only when they want to unless the team is in need of players. Recently, Yoona has been joining the games actively. The others just watch at the sidelines.

"Woohooo!!!" The crowd cheered louder when Hyoyeon scored another goal.

A blow of the whistle signals the half-time break.

"Can I join, Hyo?" Sooyoung asked.

"Yeah sure. You can swap with Seulgi." Hyoyeon pointed to the injured girl resting at the corner.

"Assa!"

 

***

 

Back to the game, the all-star team moves out and steals the ball from the opposing team. Less than 5 minutes in and they already scored their third goal.

Suddenly...

"YOONA UNNIE!!" Seohyun, the young medic came stomping angrily into the field. 

"H-Hyunnie..." Yoona backed away a little. It was very rare to see her this mad that it got Yoona wondering what did she do that was so wrong.

Stopping right in front of Yoona, she stretched out her hand, revealing her favourite sweet potato.

At this moment, Yoona already knew what was the problem.

"What's wrong?" Yoona asked, feigning innocence.

"There's a french fry inside my sweet potato! I know you must have put it in there!" Seohyun complained.

The other soldiers who were watching the scene burst into big fits of laughter. There really was nothing better than unhealthy food to provoke the young girl.

"Hahaha! What's wrong with french fries? They're made from potatoes too."

"No! They're unhealthy! Tons of chemicals in it! You ruined my sweet potato!" Seohyun pretended to cry.

"Okay okay. I'm sorry. I'll buy you a new one, alright?"

"No! I want this potato!" Seohyun whined, knowing that she had full advantage over Yoona in this situation.

"Aigoo...you better take care of her, Yoona." Hyoyeon said before running back into the game.

"B-But I can't do anything about it. It's already inside. Will you eat it if I just take it out?" Seohyun nodded, pouting.

Yoona smiled back.

Taking out the small french fry, she popped it into her own mouth only to find the younger girl glaring at her. She dejectedly took the french fry out of and threw it away.

"Unnie should not eat unhealthy food. Promise?"

Yoona gave a sigh.

"Promise." Yoona hooked her little pinky and stamped it with her thumb.

"Unnie, I heard you're getting a day off tomorrow. Can you buy me some ma juice?" Seohyun asked eagerly.

"Yeah, sure. But I might take a while. Is that okay?" 

"Of course. Yay! Thanks unnie." Seohyun leaned in and pecked Yoona on the cheek.

"Bye!" Seohyun waved as she walked away, leaving Yoona smiling like a silly fool.

 

***

 

Taeyeon slamed the folder on the table and took a seat. 

"Okay, so why don't we start with a simple question? Who are you?" Taeyeon asked the captive in front of her.

The man, previously captured by the special forces is now cuffed and sitting in the interrogation room.

"Why should I tell you that, b*tch?"

"Well, if that's the case, then I guess I'll give you a reason to tell me." Taeyeon signals for the soldier stationed outside to enter the room.

"Take this guy to the torture room. Do whatever you want. And...cut some stuff too. You know what I mean?" 

The soldier nodded and approached the guy.

The man widened his eyes.

"N-No...wait. I-I'll tell you what you want. Just don't do that, please..." The man pleaded.

Taeyeon smirked. She thanked the soldier and sent him back outside.

"Alright. You can start." Taeyeon gets ready to type the information into the computer.

"I'm a hired mercenary. I was paid a large sum of money to join the other six men to complete an assignment." The man paused for a short while.

"And that assignment is?"

"We had to a few men in suits from China illegally into the country. After that, we brought a few sealed boxes and were supposed to meet with the employer when you attacked us."

"Have you seen the contents of the boxes?"

The man shook his head.

"No. The boxes weren't ordinary boxes. They were sealed and could only be opened with authorised fingerprint."

"Then how about the men you escorted? Can you describe them?"

"They...Argh!!" The man desperately clasped his throat in pain and collapsed on the ground.

"Guys! Help!" Jessica rushed in the room but it was too late. Whatever the man had been poisoned with, it was lethal and left no chances of survival.

"It must be the food he ate a while ago. Someone did this to hide what the man could reveal." 

"Damn...to think we were so close to finding out. At least we got some info out of him."

"How did someone enter the base so easily and manage to poison the man?"

"Maybe they had inside help." 

"I'll go report to the general about this." 

Taeyeon got up and headed towards the general's office while Jessica cleaned up the dead body.

 

After hearing the news, the general heaved a sigh.

"This is more serious than I thought. Be alert and if possible, find out who the insider is. We cannot risk having our information leaked. Also, I will discuss with the Commander about this. It is most likely this case will be handed to the national intelligence service so I need your team to be on standby in case of any need of backup."

"Yes sir." Taeyeon saluted.

 

***

 

"Cap, what did the general say?" Yuri asked as soon as Taeyeon walked in.

"As you all know, the man we caught has been poisoned to death. It means we have an insider and he or she knows about our top secret mission."

"But, the only people who knows about this are the six of us and the general. No way..." Sooyoung started to look around.

"Yah Choi! Nobody here is a traitor so stop looking around like we're criminals." Hyoyeon slapped the back of her head.

"Ouch..."

"I know it's not right but for now, we have to suspect everyone in this team, even me. But don't jump to conclusions. For all we know, someone outside of this team may have found out about the mission some way or the other and I do not want this team to lose its teamwork." Taeyeon said.

"Is there anything else?" Jessica asked.

"Yes. We have to be on standby for the meantime just in case the NIS is in need of backup."

"Unnie...I mean, Captain I have a day off tomorrow. Do I still stay here?" Yoona asked.

"But Yoona, you don't have anywhere else to go."

"I promised Hyunnie I will buy her ma juice on my day off. After that, I'll straight away come back to the base."

Taeyeon nodded.

"Remember what I have told you today. That's all." 

 

 

 

Epilogue

"That's weird. Since when we ran out of arsenic?" Seohyun thought to herself.

"Is there anything else we have to order?" Tiffany asked as she scanned through the checklist.

"I think we need to order some arsenic, unnie."

Tiffany looked up with a confused expression.

"We didn't even used any. How the hell-" Tiffany stopped as she remembered something.

"Unnie?"

"Yesterday, one of the higher-ups came to pick up something. I think they must have taken some arsenic as well." Seohyun nodded. The two added arsenic to the list and left the room.

But perhaps...things were not as simple as they thought.