Lovers in a Foreign City Part III

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Lovers in a Foreign City Part III

With a single thought in her head, Jan Di rushed through the unlocked door of Ji Hoo's adjoining hotel room. She was panicked because she had just seen Yi Jeong enter Ga Eul's room with her.

Ji Hoo's room was right next to Ga Eul's and Jan Di's was on the other side, so Jan Di figured she could hear better what was going on from his. Frantically, she stormed in; Ji Hoo was nowhere to be seen.

Jan Di kicked off her slippers, climbed onto the king-sized bed, and pressed her ear up against the wall. Her brow wrinkled and her jaw clenched, as she attempted to listen through the thick divider.

She couldn't hear a thing…

Darn these thick walls, Jan Di thought, as she attempted—but failed—to make out even the slightest sound on the other side. Then, Jan Di had a moment of déjà vu, as she recalled Jun Pyo reminding her of the star rating of the Shinwha hotel—where she had last attempted to spy on Ga Eul and Yi Jeong.

"You'll never be able to hear anything," came Jun Pyo's voice.

Jan Di groaned. This hotel was similarly rated, so it would probably be the same story here. And Jan Di silently cursed how nice of a hotel it was.

As she continued to try and ascertain any bit of information about what was going on in the next room, Ji Hoo stepped out of the bathroom—his hair was damp and he wore a towel only. "Jan Di, what are you doing?"

Jan Di began to answer, as she absentmindedly turned to look at him. He was standing in the doorway of the bathroom, bare-chested and with a towel wrapped around his waist. Jan Di shrieked and quickly turned away. While covering her eyes, she cried out, "Sunbae, I'm sorry; I'm so sorry!"

Ji Hoo cleared his throat. "I, uh, forgot my robe, but I didn't think I'd be needing it," he quipped and fetched his robe from the closet. Ji Hoo threw on the soft, white robe and cinched it.

After thoroughly tightening the robe, Ji Hoo informed Jan Di that she could look. She hesitantly peeled her fingers away from her face—like a small child—and glanced shyly over at him, her cheeks still burning crimson.

"What are you doing, Jan Di?" he repeated.

"I was just, um…," she stammered. "Well, you see, Yi Jeong went into Ga Eul's hotel room with her!" and Jan Di pounded her fist upon the bed, digging it into the comforter.

Ji Hoo shrugged. "Well, Jan Di, it's not really any of our business, is it?" he asked as if it should go without saying.

Jan Di answered with a sharp exhale. "I know, but, but…what if something bad happens!"

Ji Hoo leaned against the wall. "Whatever happens, happens, Jan Di. You can't stop it. Besides, I'm sure they'll make the best decision for them."

"But Sunbae!"

How can he take such a careless attitude? She wondered. After all, if they were just going to give up now, what had all this been for, anyway?

Ji Hoo sighed. "Why do you assume something is necessarily going to happen, anyway, Jan Di-ah?"

"Well, come on, Sunbae…a man and woman…alone in a hotel room…"

Ji Hoo wasn't sure what came over him at that moment—perhaps he wanted to get his point across—but it just came out, "Like you and I are now?"

. . .

Jan Di blinked rapidly, but then she merely waved him off with a hand. "Well, that's completely different, Sunbae!"

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw and nodded painfully. Yes, it was different… He knew as much, but he still couldn't deny that it stung a little—like alcohol to a wound. And her statement only fueled him on. He began approaching the bed, where Jan Di was seated on her feet.

Ji Hoo stood before Jan Di now; she stared up at him, doe-eyed. "S-sunbae?"

"So, you're saying that something will definitelhappen in there if they are left alone, but nothing could ever happen in here?"

Jan Di's lips parted in shock. How should she respond to that? Had he gone crazy?! Of course, nothing was going to happen here!

But all words were suddenly and completely lost to her…


The Next Morning…

Ga Eul awoke in the ultra-comfortable hotel bed with the biggest smile on her face. And she dreamily recalled the night before…

Yi Jeong had been concerned about Jan Di and Ji Hoo tagging along, but Ga Eul hadn't really minded. The evening had been magical, nonetheless. Still, the best part had been after that—when she had invited Yi Jeong in…

She had been nervous and battling with her hormones all day—which were driving her full-speed ahead—but somehow, last night, all that melted away, and they were able to simply be with one another. It wasn't forced or uncomfortable, and she didn't feel a bit disappointed about where it had ended. She felt completely satisfied and utterly blissful.

Ga Eul rolled over onto her side and hugged her pillow, closing her eyes and nuzzling her face against it, imagining that it was him and remembering the way it felt to be in his arms last night…

It was then that she heard a knock upon the door. She bolted upright, slipped on her slippers, threw on a robe, and—stopping only briefly to fix her hair—went to the door.


"So, you're saying that something will definitely happen in there, but nothing could ever happen in here?" Ji Hoo repeated.

Ji Hoo had closed the distance between them and was hovering over her now. And she was simply staring up at him, doe-eyed, while he looked down upon her.

He placed one hand on each side of her on the bed and leaned down. His breathing had escalated, and there was a look in his eyes that she had never seen there before...

She should question him, shouldn't she? She should call him out for his utterly outrageous comment, but she…just…couldn't... She had absolutely no retort—all she could do was stare back into his dark eyes, wondering what this new emotion was that she saw behind them…

After several seconds passed, she shook her head rapidly, "Well, that is…I mean…it's you…and me, and we're not…there's nothing…," she stammered.

He simply waited for her to come out with it…

Finally, she mustered a timid, "St-stop joking around, Sunbae…," and she gave him a light shove on the arm.

"I'm not joking," he replied in complete seriousness.

Her eyes grew wider. "S-s-unbae…," she uttered in astonishment.

And then she fell silent once more...

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth, and there was a sadness in his eyes. "Is it so ridiculous, Jan Di-ah—the idea of you and me?"

Her head shouted, 'yes, it is!' Had he forgotten all about Jun Pyo?! It was so strange… But stranger still was that fact that she was not reminding him of the obvious—that she was in a serious relationship with his best friend…

She should remind him, shouldn't she? Yet, her lips still spoke nothing…

The intense look upon Ji Hoo's face softened, and he gently spoke her name, "Jan Di-ah…"

She blinked a few times in response. And then she shrunk back on her knees upon the bed, gripping the sheets between her fists, and wondering what had come over him—and what he planned to do… It was both terrifying and a little bit exciting, somehow…

By now, all rationality had flown out of her head like a frantic bird. Her chest was rising and falling heavily, and she was just staring at him like a fool...

It was then that Ji Hoo kissed her…

But it wasn't like the kiss in New Caledonia—this one was much more intense as if a dam had broken and the powerful force behind it was bursting forth uncontrollably.

Ji Hoo took her face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers. Her eyes widened at first touch but then fluttered shut...

After a few seconds, his lips parted slightly, and he deepened the kiss. One of his hands ventured to her hair, while the other found its way down her neck and rested behind it, gently pulling her closer.

Then, her fingers found their way to his robe and curled into it. Her hands slid upward and settled upon his neck.

After their lips left each other, he wrapped his arms tight around her waist. She sighed and rose up on her knees, hugging him around his neck. She buried her face into the crook of his neck and murmured, "Sunbae…," against it.


Still in that place between sleep and awake, with Ji Hoo's name-and the faintest feel of his lips—upon her lips, Jan Di stirred.

Her eyes fluttered, and she spoke his name again—aloud, "Sunbae…"

"Hmm?" she heard Ji Hoo murmur sleepily. His voice sounded close, very close—practically in her ear—as if he was right next to her…

Jan Di's eyes instantly shot open, and she bolted upright in the bed. She glanced to her side—to find Ji Hoo lying right next to her with his eyes tightly shut. She screamed and sprung out of the bed.

At that, Ji Hoo opened his eyes.

After the initial shock wore off, he considered the situation. It wasn't exactly the type of reaction a guy wanted to get upon waking next to a girl. And he would have enjoyed waking up beside Jan Di, if not for the panicked scream that had nearly pierced his eardrum.

Even though it was obvious, he asked, "Jan Di, what's wrong?" while rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Jan Di took a deep, calming breath, as she assessed the situation. She glanced over at Ji Hoo—he was dressed in his nightwear. Then, she looked down at her own attire, and she was wearing the pajamas she had been when she stormed into his room the night before.

But how did they end up in bed together? And that kiss… Had it actually happened?! No, it couldn't have!

Still completely freaked, she muttered to herself, "It was just a dream, right?"

"What?" Ji Hoo questioned. He blinked a few times, finally bringing her into focus. Her arms were folded tightly across her chest, and she was avoiding eye contact.

It was only a dream, wasn't it? It had to be! Just a dream…just a dream… She repeated it over and over in her head.

Jan Di thought back, and she recalled. Of course, it was just a dream! The kiss never happened!

She sighed in relief. And then she began sifting through her memories, piecing together what had been dream and what had been reality…


Jan Di recalled Ji Hoo making that outlandish statement last night—about something happening between them—and then leaning down toward her as if he was going to kiss her…

But, he only reached for his nightclothes—that were neatly folded beside her on the bed. He had then given her a disarming smile and put distance between them again. And he laughed it off, informing her that he was just trying to make a point to her.

But, it had still been a very strange thing for him to say, even to make point…


"Did you have a nightmare, Jan Di-ah?" Ji Hoo asked, as he got out of the bed and took a step toward her.

Still clutching her arms, Jan Di gave a nervous laugh. "Yes, you could say that…," and then she exhaled. She was relieved about the kiss, but she still didn't remember how they had ended up where they awoke.

"Are you alright?" Ji Hoo asked. He took another step toward her—surely only wanting to go to her in comfort—but she held up her hands, warning him not to come any closer.

And Ji Hoo stopped where he was.

Hugging herself—and still reeling in horror—Jan Di responded from across the room. "I'm fine," she said in a rather curt tone. "But Sunbae, what happened last night?"

"What do you mean, Jan Di?"

"Well, Sunbae…why…why were we in bed together?" and she glanced away, her cheeks burning.

An amused smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips. "You don't remember?"

Jan Di suddenly felt angry with him, and she scowled. Was he really going to —now—when she was already spiraling in shame and guilt over her unspeakable dream?

Noticing her extreme discomfort—and the fact that she was not amused at all—Ji Hoo continued, "Relax Jan Di. We just fell asleep while watching the movie last night."

That's right…

Ji Hoo had suggested she take her mind off Ga Eul and Yi Jeong, so he'd turned a movie on, and they'd sat down to watch together on his bed. Somewhere along the way, they must have fallen asleep. It was completely innocent…

But then, there was her dream—which was not so innocent…

Jan Di rationalized it, telling herself that it was simply the product of her previous conversations with Ga Eul, her worries, and Ji Hoo's weird comment…

And dreams were just dreams. They were strange and, at times, nonsensical, depending on what theory you buy into… It didn't mean anything—did it?

Still, the dream was enough to properly freak Jan Di out.

After all, it wasn't like her to have such dreams! And certainly not about Ji Hoo Sunbae! She'd only ever had one or two romantic dreams about Jun Pyo—and he was her boyfriend!

Sure, when she had that huge crush on Ji Hoo Sunbae back when she first started Shinwha she'd fantasized about him kissing her, but not like that—never so intense and vivid...

Jan Di felt completely horrible. And she really needed her best friend right now...


In the room next to them, Ga Eul opened the door. Yi Jeong was standing on the other side, gifting her with a luminescent smile and looking amazing, as always.

"Good morning," he greeted.

And Ga Eul's smile grew—almost to the point of hurting her face, but in a pleasant way. "Good morning," she replied.

"How did you sleep?" Yi Jeong asked as he ran a hand along her arm.

She felt goosebumps rise-up. "Mm, great." Despite it only being a few hours… "And you?"

"Well, I must admit that I tossed and turned a bit because…I really didn't want to leave last night... Or, rather, this morning…" He grinned and tucked a strand of stray hair back behind her ear.

Ga Eul flushed and glanced shyly down at her slippered feet. She couldn't help thinking that she must look a mess, but for the moment, she didn't care. And she simply nodded, as she recalled the previous night…

When she finally looked at him again, Yi Jeong was beaming at her. And though she tried to temper it, she couldn't stop her own smile from returning in full force.

"So, I came to ask you to have breakfast with me this morning, but I wondered if I could check your room first. I can't find my cufflinks."

"Oh, sure, come in. Let's look for them," she replied.

And he followed her inside.


"I…I need to talk to Ga Eul!" Jan Di exclaimed.

And—keeping her distance from Ji Hoo—she rushed to the door of his hotel room. In her hurry to escape, she completely forgot about the way she'd come in the first place.

Jan Di opened the door to leave, and Ji Hoo followed. At that very moment, Ga Eul opened the door to her room to usher Yi Jeong out, and the four of them caught sight of one another—Jan Di leaving Ji Hoo's room and Yi Jeong leaving Ga Eul's.

They all stopped where they were and looked between each other.

After a moment of awkward, confused silence, Jan Di rushed past Yi Jeong—with only a subtle nod to him—grabbed Ga Eul by the arm, and dragged her back into her hotel room.

Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo looked on, slightly stupefied, as the door was shut behind the girls. And then Yi Jeong turned to Ji Hoo and frowned.


Once inside Ga Eul's hotel room, Jan Di released her arm. "Can we talk?"

Jan Di seemed distressed, so Ga Eul ignored the intrusion and nodded. They sat down on her bed, and Ga Eul studied Jan Di, who seemed to be struggling with her choice of words.

Ga Eul released a small sigh and folded her hands in her lap. "Before you say anything, Jan Di, don't worry. Yi Jeong Sunbae didn't spend the night." Not technically… "He just came over early to look for his cufflinks."

"Oh," Jan Di breathed a visible sigh of relief. Not knowing what else to say, she asked, "Um, did he…find them?"

Ga Eul nodded.

"So…," Jan Di hesitated about asking anything further—what she truly wanted to ask.

But, as if reading her mind—like many best friends could do—Ga Eul answered, "Nothing happened last night, Jan Di."

Jan Di released her breath again.

"Well, I mean, not nothing, but you know…nothing to be concerned about..." And Ga Eul smiled, as she drifted back to the night before.

She and Jan Di typically talked about everything, but Ga Eul felt that she should leave some things unsaid. Still, Jan Di was her best friend, so she decided to give her the condensed version.


Last night, she and Yi Jeong had taken things a bit further than they ever had, but it wasn't at all forced or uncomfortable. Ga Eul realized that she had been worrying entirely too much about how and when to proceed in her relationship with Yi Jeong, but last night, their love had simply flowed like a cool, steady stream.

When they first kissed, Ga Eul was afraid she would never be able to stop—and she didn't want to. They ended up on the couch, kissing and caressing for awhile. She lost track of how long it was, but it was amazing…

Yi Jeong attended thoroughly to her lips while running his fingers throughout her hair, placing firm but gentle pressure upon her arms and sides, and pulling her closer. Then, he moved on to other areas and began touching more skin. It was as if his hands were everywhere—but not in a sleazy manner—and she was certain she'd never known such pleasure… How was it that he could manage to attend to so much at once?

And then she participated, too. She instinctively laid her hands upon his broad chest and ran them up his neck and to his hair, allowing her fingers to get lost there.

...

Eventually, the passion died down, and their kisses became softer and more tender. And they began talking.


Ga Eul didn't think it possible, but the session afterward was arguably even better than the romance—when he held her in his arms upon the couch.

He wrapped his arms around her, and she rested her head on his chest. Their fingers interlocked, and they talked about anything and everything.

They shared their plans, their hopes, and their dreams. It was as if they were slowly discovering small pieces of information about each other—what they liked and disliked, and what was important to them.

And Ga Eul was fine with that. She didn't need to complete the entire puzzle just yet; she was simply enjoying the process.

She even admitted to him about the jealousy she'd felt when she thought that Elise knew things about him that she did not. And he eased her mind, informing her that this was not the case.

Ga Eul loved that their relationship was defined by more than just physical attraction. It was deeper than that, and Yi Jeong had admitted that he'd never confided so much in another—certainly not another female, not since Eun-Jae, years ago—and not even as much with F3.

Ga Eul recalled them waking—after falling asleep on the couch together—to the sun peeking out over the horizon. And Yi Jeong took her to the window to look out. With his arm around her waist and her head resting against his arm, they'd watched the sun come up.

They'd watched the sky transforming from shades of dark blue and black to mixtures of pinks and oranges. They'd watched the sun touch each building with its golden fingertips while illuminating the waters of the harbor—glistening and reflecting off. And then the sun cast its mark upon the sky and settled there. It was much more wonderful than having the view described for her, as he had done over the phone. And the experience was one she would never forget for as long as she lived.

Jan Di couldn't help but smile at the way Ga Eul's eyes twinkled when she talked about Yi Jeong. She knew that look and that feeling well—and there was nothing quite like it. Perhaps she could and should finally begin to ease up on her protectiveness for Ga Eul. It seemed that Ga Eul was in good hands, after all…


Meanwhile…

In the hallway, Yi Jeong placed his hands upon his hips. "What happened?" he demanded of Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo wrinkled his brow in response to his good friend's vague question. "What are you talking about?"

"Jan Di. Why was she in your room so early?"

"I could ask you the same thing regarding Ga Eul," Ji Hoo replied.

"Well, that's none of your business."

"Likewise."

"Yoon Ji Hoo!" Yi Jeong raised his voice and took a few aggressive steps toward Ji Hoo.  He was not a man who controlled his temper well, and right now it was flaring…

"Yi Jeong, relax," Ji Hoo held up his hands in placation, and Yi Jeong stopped. "You can't be serious. Do you actually think something happened between Jan Di and me?"

"Well, she was acting strangely. What did you do?" Yi Jeong urged.

Ji Hoo stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Why do you assume I did something? Are you actually accusing me of coming onto Jan Di? Do you not trust me, Yi Jeong?"

"I do, but…"

"You do know that she lives with me, don't you? So, it's not like I needed to lure her to my hotel room if I wanted to make a move," Ji Hoo smirked. The whole conversation was ludicrous to Ji Hoo, anyway, so why not poke fun at it?

But apparently, Yi Jeong did not find the humor in it…

Yi Jeong tightened his jaw and balled his fist at his side. And he took another few steps toward Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo was certain that Yi Jeong was inches from punching him in the face on Jun Pyo's behalf, so he quickly added, "I was joking, Yi Jeong! It was a joke," and Ji Hoo gave a sardonic laugh.

Yi Jeong glared at him. "Well, it wasn't funny."

Ji Hoo scoffed, "No, it's ridiculous, isn't it? How could you possibly think that something could ever happen between Jan Di and me?"

It came out a bit more jaded sounding than Ji Hoo had intended…

"I know. I'm sorry, Ji Hoo. I just don't like it—how close you two are. I don't want to see a repeat performance of New Caledonia."

"I'm not going to kiss her," Ji Hoo simply said.

"Good," Yi Jeong replied, shoving his hands into his pockets. "So, what did happen then?"

"Nothing happened, Yi Jeong, nothing of consequence, anyway."

Yi Jeong was clearly awaiting an explanation, so Ji Hoo sighed and continued. "Jan Di came to my room last night…to talk to me about something. We started watching a movie together, and we just fell asleep. That's it," Ji Hoo shrugged. "She was feeling embarrassed about it, so that's what you saw."

Yi Jeong sighed. "You're playing with fire, Ji Hoo..."

"I'm not," Ji Hoo replied immediately, "I know that sometimes I push the boundaries with her a little, but I never cross them."

"I'm just concerned that if you two continue being so close something will eventually happen. Especially with you two living together… There will inevitably be a slip-up."

Ji Hoo felt his frustration rising, and he wanted to remind Yi Jeong that he was not him, and he could certainly control himself around a woman… But he held his tongue.

Yi Jeong paused before adding, "…You don't exactly think clearly when it comes to Jan Di, you know? Bringing her here, for instance."

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw and gave a slow, sullen nod.

It hurt a bit—Yi Jeong's sharp statement. But perhaps Yi Jeong had a point—when he said that he did not think clearly when Jan Di was involved. Perhaps Ji Hoo was only kidding himself. And he recalled the night before…


After making that idiotic remark to Jan Di, she had recoiled and stared up at him. And he recalled that she had been practically cowering like a tiny mouse cornered by a snake.

Jan Di was one of the strongest people Ji Hoo had ever known, and seeing her like that—and what was more, knowing that he brought it on—made him feel like the worst person in the world.

The only explanation he could come up with for his behavior last night was that he just got fed up—he got so fed up, at times, with the way things were and with how she refused to acknowledge him the way he wanted.

But then again, what was wrong with him? For, as much as it still tormented him that Jan Di was not his girl, he loved the way things were between them even more—so comfortable, so easy, and so wonderful…

Ji Hoo knew that he would never have her in a romantic way, but that did not mean that he couldn't take great joy in the amazing friendship they had. He would always treasure it, and he would never, ever do anything to ruin that.

Last night, after seeing how she looked at him—like prey upon a predator—Ji Hoo had berated himself for allowing his selfish desires to momentarily get the better of him.

Then, after a few seconds of perplexity, Jan Di had given him a cute little nervous laugh, shoved him, and told him to stop joking around. And it completely snapped him out of it. After that, he couldn't help but melt like warm butter. He smiled at her, grabbed his clothes, and played off the entire thing.

It wasn't like he was actually going to kiss her…

How could he possibly think that anything would ever change between them, anyway? And how could he hope for that deep down? What kind of friend was he being to secretly desire that? It sickened him, in fact.


Ji Hoo shook his head. "No, I don't always think clearly with her, but nothing will ever happen," he assured. "I would never allow anything to happen and risk ruining my friendship with Jun Pyo, or with her, forever," and Ji Hoo paused.

He glanced to the side for a moment and then back to Yi Jeong. "…If she had feelings for me, it would be a different story. It would have to be mutual for any slip-ups to occur because I would never force myself on her, and I'm not going to slip up."

"I'm glad to hear that, but I still don't think you two should be as close as you are. How do you think Jun Pyo would feel—if he knew how close you are getting to his fiancée? Do you think he'd appreciate that?"

Ji Hoo's stomach sank at the mention of Jun Pyo. "No. But she's not… They're not yet…," he weakly argued, in an attempt at making himself feel just a little bit better. But, it was useless.

"Dammit, Ji Hoo, I don't care!" Yi Jeong shouted, cutting him off. "It doesn't matter if they're not yet engaged or married; it's a technicality! She's his! And she always will be!"

Ji Hoo felt his chest begin to rise and fall heavily…

"You can claim that you're just friends all you want, but it's not right. And you know it. Honestly, I'm ashamed of you. I thought you had more integrity than that!"

The reminder of last night and Yi Jeong's disapproval—frankly, the whole conversation—had only served to feed Ji Hoo's mounting frustration, and he'd finally had his fill of it. "Do you really think so little of me?" Ji Hoo blurted out. "Do you know how many opportunities I've had that I haven't taken, Yi Jeong?" Do you know how many times I've been so close to Jan Di, just aching to touch her, to kiss her, and I didn't?"

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply and then quieted.

Yi Jeong stood before Ji Hoo now. He reached out a hand to lay upon his friend's shoulder. "I know, Ji Hoo-ah…," he sighed. "I know how you feel, and I sympathize. I really do. It's not like my heart has never been broken," and Yi Jeong paused momentarily in thought of Eun-Jae, "…but, I just had to say something. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I just can't continue to watch you walk this path that won't end happily for you. I say all this for your sake, too. I really think you need to try and move on…"

And Ji Hoo's face fell.

"I can't say that I agree with you two living together, either, but that's between you two and Jun Pyo…"

Yi Jeong slapped his hands against his thighs in defeat. "Well, I've given you my opinion. It's on you now, to do the right thing and distance yourself..."

Ji Hoo processed for a moment and nodded dismally. "You're right. You're absolutely right, Yi Jeong…"


After Ga Eul finished her story about last night, she looked to Jan Di, who was wringing her hands lightly and staring down at them.

"Was there something you wanted to talk to me about, Jan Di-ah?" she asked.

Jan Di remained silent, so Ga Eul decided to bring up what she had been wondering about. "Just now, you were in Ji Hoo Sunbae's room…"

Jan Di nodded, keeping her eyes guiltily low.

"Did something—?" Ga Eul began tentatively.

"Ahh, nothing happened!" Jan Di blurted out, and then she continued more softly with, "…I just fell asleep in Ji Hoo Sunbae's room…in his bed, with him…" After she admitted it, she turned her head away in shame.

"Really?"

"Yes, but we were just watching a movie and we fell asleep! It was completely innocent!" Jan Di shouted defensively.

Ga Eul's brow furrowed. "I wasn't thinking that it wasn't..."

Jan Di sighed and hung her head. She squeezed her hands together, and Ga Eul put a hand on her shoulder. "I don't think you should feel bad about that. Like you said, it was innocent."

There was a silence...

"Well, there was something else, too..."

Ga Eul leaned in, listening closely.

"I…sort of…had a dream about Ji Hoo Sunbae last night…"

"What kind of dream?"

After relating her dream—which required admitting her attempt at listening in on Ga Eul and Yi Jeong—Jan Di collapsed face first onto the bed, lamenting, "What should I do, Ga Eul-ah?"

Ga Eul placed a hand upon Jan Di's back. "Do you really need to do anything, Jan Di-ah? It was just a dream."

"But what does it mean?!" Jan Di bemoaned, her voice muffled by the sheets. She sat upright and looked into her best friend's eyes for answers.

Maybe it was uncalled for—and perhaps she was a little upset with Jan Di for her interference—but Ga Eul couldn't help herself and said, "I think it's pretty clear what it means…"

Jan Di stared at Ga Eul in wait for her explanation.

"It means…that you're secretly in love with Ji Hoo Sunbae, and you want him to kiss you," Ga Eul replied, with a small smirk.

"Ga Eul-ah! Noo! That can't possibly be it!" and Jan Di threw herself down onto the bed again like a petulant child having a tantrum. She fumbled for a pillow and buried her face in it. "I'm a terrible person," Jan Di muttered through the pillow—in a voice Ga Eul could barely make out.

Ga Eul stared down at Jan Di in tender sympathy. Feeling sorry about her teasing, Ga Eul began to lightly rub Jan Di's back. "You're not a terrible person, Jan Di-ah. People have dreams; they can't be helped. And I really don't think it's anything to get so upset about it. There could be a hundred different reasons why you dreamed that, right? And dreams don't always mean something, do they?" Ga Eul moved on to caress Jan Di's hair for a moment.

And Jan Di sat upright, still hugging the pillow. "You're right. It really depends on the interpretation."

Jan Di had learned all about both the psychological and physiological explanations for dreams—from Freud to Jung to Hobson to Flanagan. Dreams had been investigated and debated for centuries, and the explanations ranged from unconscious wishes to mere random successions of images that served no adaptive function whatsoever...

Attempting to be helpful, Ga Eul suggested, "Maybe you just miss Jun Pyo, but you see Ji Hoo more often, so he was the one that showed up in your dream…"

"Maybe…," Jan Di placed a finger to her chin. "So, you're saying that it was Gu Jun Pyo in Ji Hoo Sunbae's body who was kissing me?"

"Um, could be…," Ga Eul chuckled.

"That'd be so weird…," Jan Di commented. And they both laughed at the crazy notion.

But that's not really any better…, Jan Di thought.  So, she decided to simply think of the dream as meaningless.

After a brief silence, Ga Eul spoke, "I still can't believe Ji Hoo Sunbae said what he did…"

"Yeah, but I get it. He was trying to get me to back off worrying about you and Yi Jeong…"

Ga Eul nodded.

"And speaking of that, Ga Eul-ah, I just wanted to say again that I'm really sorry for coming here and intruding. I know I've been such a pain, but…it's just that I care about you so much!"

"I know, Jan Di-ah. I care about you, too, and thank you."

And the two friends tightly embraced upon the bed.


After talking things through, Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo clasped hands.

"Well, I'm glad we talked, Ji Hoo-ah."

Ji Hoo nodded.

"And since I do believe you can be trusted," Yi Jeong gave him a wry smile, "I'd like to ask a favor of you."

"What is it?"

"Could you occupy Jan Di for the day, so that I can spend time with Ga Eul?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yes, I can."


The girls finally exited the room, and they met up with the guys briefly. Then, they all went their separate ways. Ga Eul finished getting ready, and then she and Yi Jeong went to breakfast.

After Jan Di showered and dressed, there was a knock at her door. She answered; it was Ji Hoo.

"Jan Di-ah, give me your time today," he requested with a smile.

It reminded her of Macau, and a nostalgic smile crossed her lips. But then she hesitated, and she glanced away upon recalling her dream. She did feel better after talking to Ga Eul, yet things still seemed a bit weird…

But then Jan Di looked at Ji Hoo again, and he was smiling that bright, beautiful smile of his that she'd come to love and appreciate so much. It was a smile that held the incredible power of melting all her troubles away…

And she felt at ease once more.

Still, he always joked with her, so she should return the favor once in awhile, shouldn't she? "What will you give me in return?" she asked with a smirk.

Ji Hoo feigned hurt. "Isn't the pleasure of my company enough?"

Jan Di poked out her cheeks. "Hmm, well, in Macau you offered me ice cream," and she raised a brow.

Ji Hoo's smile grew wider—and even more enchanting—and he nodded. "I'll buy you ice cream, Otter. You're very easy to please, you know?" and Ji Hoo gave a little laugh. Then, he grew serious again. "But I do think I'm getting the far better end of the deal..."

And Jan Di responded with a tender smile.


After breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Yi Jeong placed a hand upon Ga Eul's back and led her to his car.

"Where are we going, Yi Jeong-ah?" she asked.

"It's a surprise," he said. When she looked at him curiously, he added, "Someplace I think you'll like."

And he took her to the Fotografiska—a museum of contemporary photography in the heart of Stockholm, known for hosting exhibitions of world-renowned photographers.

Normally, Ga Eul would be taking lots of photos, but she wasn't allowed to in the museum, so she simply enjoyed the works with her eyes.

Ga Eul marveled at the photographs and made comments about the lighting and angles. She mused on the artists—on what messages they were trying to convey—and on their subjects, wondering what their stories were. She liked to imagine that…

Yi Jeong smiled over at Ga Eul, as he was truly enchanted by her spirit. He always had been…


She had always tried to understand others, to figure them out. It was just one of the many things he appreciated about her—her curiosity about people. She was curious about him in the beginning, too.

At first, it had been an annoyance to him because she was digging around in the attic of his mind, and he didn't want her to know about his deep dark past. He tried to prevent her from learning anything substantial about him, but it hadn't worked. In fact, she had figured him out relatively quickly.

Yi Jeong had come to realize that she didn't do it because she was nosy—but rather because she cared about people and was interested in them. And it was now one of the things he loved the most about her…


Yi Jeong and Ga Eul walked along together through the museum, and he joined her in the discussion. She grinned over at him, as he prattled on about world-renowned photographers like Annie Leibovitz and Robert Mapplethorpe.

Ga Eul stuck her hands into the pockets of her candy apple red coat. "So, are you trying to impress me with your knowledge of photography, So Yi Jeong?" she asked with a playful grin.

She teased, but she had to admit that she was impressed. And she wondered if he had learned all these facts for her benefit, or if he really was interested…

Yi Jeong gave a little laugh and flashed her a smile. "Is it that obvious?" he asked coolly, as he tucked his hands into his own pant pockets. And then he gave her a debonair smile. "Is it working?"

Ga Eul smirked over at him. "Maybe…," and then she added, "but we're way past that stage, aren't we?"

No use mincing words, she thought.

"You don't have to try and impress me. I already know the real So Yi Jeong, and I like him a lot."

"Oh? Do you?"

She nodded, smiling. He then took a hand out of his pocket and caught hold of her arm. He gave it a light tug, and she removed her hand from her pocket in response. And then he slipped his hand into hers.

Ga Eul smiled to herself, as they continued walking hand in hand through the museum.

When they stopped to look at another series of photographs, Yi Jeong dropped her hand and folded his arms across his chest.

...

"You know, there are courses and workshops here on photography," he casually commented.

"Oh yeah?"

Yi Jeong nodded. And then he paused, staring for a long moment at a photograph of an elderly gray-haired man. "Is…that something that would interest you?"

Ga Eul blinked a few times, unsure of where he was headed with this. "Well, yes, I would love to learn more about photography, but I don't think I'll be here long enough to really do that."

But Ga Eul still didn't know how long Yi Jeong planned to have her there. He hadn't said anything more about it, and she was avoiding asking because she didn't really want to leave. Although, they would both certainly have to get back to school and work soon enough. And not to mention, Christmas was nearing, and she would want to see her family over the holiday.

Yi Jeong continued staring at the large photograph. "Do you like it here, Ga Eul-yang?"

Is he getting at something?

Ga Eul observed him for a moment before answering, "Yes, it's very nice."

She was curious, yet she didn't feel she should come right out and question what had gotten into him. So, instead, she asked, "Do you like it here, Yi Jeong Sunbae?"

A small smirk tugged at one side of Yi Jeong's mouth. "…Yes. But, it's certainly not home."


Jan Di and Ji Hoo spent the day touring the city more, and then they went to a small café for lunch. Afterward—despite the cold—Ji Hoo bought Jan Di ice cream, as promised.

As they sat together, eating their ice cream and watching the boats on the harbor, Jan Di began to think about the dream again…

Her earlier conversation with Ga Eul had been helpful—and she had repeatedly told herself that the dream meant absolutely nothing—but regardless, she had been fixated upon it all day. And she had to admit that it made it difficult to look at Ji Hoo the same and act normally around him. It was a shame, too, because she was having so much fun with him today…

And it was ridiculous, wasn't it? There was no need for her to be awkward around Ji Hoo just because of a silly dream. It was Ji Hoo, for crying out loud!

Jan Di had sworn Ga Eul to secrecy about the dream, but she knew that it was only a matter of time before Ji Hoo realized that something was up with her if she continued acting this way. Surely, he had noticed it already. He was probably just being considerate in not bringing it up.

But, as suspected, Ji Hoo had noticed. And after they finished their ice cream—and were just sitting there on a railing on the side of the harbor—he broached the subject.

"Jan Di-ah?"

"Mm?" she muttered, as she absentmindedly stared out across the water.

"I was just wondering, and you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but…is something bothering you?"

Jan Di glanced at him briefly, and he appeared very concerned. She looked away and shook her head.

Ji Hoo squeezed his hands together and decided to press a little further. "Are you angry with me?" he asked.

She looked at him again and put on a smile. "Of course not, Sunbae. What would make you think that?"

"Well," he tossed a faint smile back—in response to her clearly fake one, "Just a feeling, I guess."

There was no need for him to go into detail about all that he had noticed—namely, her keeping extra distance between them, avoiding eye contact, and not to mention, her awkward, panicked behavior this morning. But he did feel that he should at least address it.

"About this morning…," Ji Hoo began.

Jan Di's cheeks instantly heated up at the mention, and she turned her face away.

"I'm really sorry about that, Jan Di-ah. I shouldn't have let you fall asleep in my bed. I should have suggested you go to your own room when I noticed we were both drifting off..."

"It's OK, Sunbae," she mumbled while studying her hands. "You don't need to apologize. It's really my fault."

That was part of the awkwardness Jan Di was experiencing, but—although this morning had been embarrassing—it hadn't bothered her nearly as much as the dream had. "And it's not that, anyway," she muttered.

Jan Di immediately regretted the statement. It would have been better to just let him think that her behavior was the result of her embarrassment over them falling asleep next to each other—and let it go at that…

She turned her head and shut her eyes tight, wishing she could take it back. And a silence passed between them with the breeze…

Jan Di worked up the courage to address her issue. "Sunbae... Do you think it's normal to…is it wrong to….?"

Ji Hoo looked at her curiously.

But then she gave up on speaking. "Nothing, never mind." It was senseless to bring it up, after all. And she couldn't possibly ask him about it without giving her dream away…

"Is it wrong to what, Jan Di?"

Jan Di mussed her hair and groaned in frustration. Then, she gave a nervous laugh. "I uh don't really know where I was going with that…"

Ji Hoo simply nodded. "I think I understand, Jan Di-ah. And…I think it's my fault."

And Jan Di's brow wrinkled in confusion.

Ji Hoo gave her a halfhearted smile. "You see, Yi Jeong had a little talk with me this morning, and he helped me to realize that I have been…behaving sort of inappropriately with you…"

"What do you mean, Sunbae?"

"First of all, I never should have said what I did last night, even as a joke. I don't know what came over me…"

"It's OK...," she mumbled.

"No, it's not. I didn't mean anything by it, and it was stupid to say. I shouldn't have made you uncomfortable like that. And things like…this morning shouldn't happen."

Ji Hoo wrung his hands. "I'm sure Jun Pyo wouldn't like it. As you know, he gets very jealous and wouldn't want any guy, even me, coming within ten feet of you," Ji Hoo added to lighten the mood.

Jan Di chuckled and nodded. He had a point there. It was a little bit funny, but it only served to remind her of her dream again. What would Jun Pyo think of that? Surely, he would be furious…

And Jan Di grew deathly silent.

Ji Hoo turned resolutely toward Jan Di; she was staring down at her feet. "I never wanted to make you uncomfortable, Jan Di-ah, and I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me?"

Jan Di glanced up and gave him a thin-lipped smile. "Of course, Sunbae." Then, she returned her eyes to the ground.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and continued, "The only explanation I can really offer for the way I acted is…well, you see…" He began rubbing the back of his neck, and then he sighed heavily, "…I guess I still haven't completely let go of my feelings for you…"

Jan Di was momentarily stunned.

Her eyes shot up to look at him. "…S-unbae…," she finally uttered.

"But don't worry. I'm working on letting go of those feelings..."

Jan Di looked away again and stared out onto the harbor.

"I just thought you should know," and Ji Hoo paused. "…But please don't let that make you feel uncomfortable around me because it's something that I'm trying very hard to get past, and I will get past it. I promise you."

Jan Di nodded, keeping her eyes fixed upon the icy, crystal waters.

They remained in silence for another few moments, both looking out until Ji Hoo spoke again. "Your friendship means the world to me, Otter, you know that right?" he said—his eyes never leaving the water.

Jan Di glanced over, and he tentatively met her eyes. She smiled at him. "I know. For me, too."

Ji Hoo smiled back and then returned his gaze to the harbor. As he did so, his smile began to fade…

"The same goes for my friendship with Jun Pyo," Ji Hoo added. And he slowly released his breath before continuing, "So…if I ever seem distant, or things seem strange between us…it's just because I'm trying to be a better friend…to Jun Pyo and to you."

And because maybe I'm not as strong as I would have Yi Jeong believe…

Jan Di looked at Ji Hoo curiously, wondering what exactly he meant by that. But, she had an idea. He must be going to pull back…

"I need to know my place, Jan Di," Ji Hoo explained, without looking at her. "I feel very comfortable with you, but sometimes I think the line gets blurred a bit for me, and I don't always know how I should act or what is OK… I mean, I should know these things, but there are times when…it gets muddled..."

And Ji Hoo met her eyes.

"I want you to know that I couldn't be happier for you and Jun Pyo, really. You two are…perfect together. Sometimes, I just…," Ji Hoo's voice trailed off, and he laughed at himself. "I don't know where I was going with that, either."

Jan Di didn't know what to say, so she lowered her gaze. Her chocolate eyes darted back and forth as she processed the information, wondering how best to respond. But she came up with nothing any good, so she remained quiet.

Ji Hoo looked upon Jan Di for a moment. He could sense that she didn't know what to do or say, and it didn't sit well with him—being the one to cause her unrest.

Suddenly, Ji Hoo placed an arm around her shoulders and brought her in for a quick kiss to the top of the head. And he kept his arm around her. Surprisingly, she didn't attempt to move away.

"I just want to be your friend, Jan Di," he whispered, "That's all I need. I just want to be someone you can count on and come to. I know it won't always be me that you go to... and that's OK. When you and Jun Pyo are eventually married, you'll go to him, and you should… But if you do ever need anything…," he paused, "just know that I'll always be there for you..."

Jan Di smiled faintly to herself and nestled ever so subtly into his shoulder. "Gomawo, Sunbae," she whispered back.

And Ji Hoo raised his suddenly misty eyes skyward—to hide them from her—and he held her there.

I love you, Jan Di, and I always will...


That evening, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul had a romantic dinner at Brasserie Vau De Ville. Then, Yi Jeong took Ga Eul ice skating at Kungsträdgården, and they invited Ji Hoo and Jan Di to join.

After spinning around the ice a few times, with the help of the guys, Jan Di and Ji Hoo took a seat on a nearby bench. And Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo went for espresso for the girls. The girls sat together on a bench and huddled together for extra warmth. Jan Di was wearing the stocking cap Ji Hoo had bought for her, and Ga Eul was wearing her white beret. And they were both bundled up well, covered by their own coats, as well as the guys'. As Ga Eul and Jan Di watched Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo walk off, they both suddenly had a strong feeling of déjà vu...

Jan Di thought of her double-date with Jun Pyo, Ga Eul, and Soo Pyo. That date had a rocky beginning, a lovely middle, and a disastrous ending. At first, she'd been concerned about Jun Pyo's reaction to Soo Pyo's rude comments. And then, they'd had a nice time skating. But when Jun Pyo and Soo Pyo walked off, Jun Pyo ended up beating up Soo Pyo, and they had a huge fight over it. Later, Jan Di and Ga Eul had discovered that Jun Pyo had a good reason for his actions, but at the time, it had been horrible.

Ga Eul also thought of a time in the past, but not with Soo Pyo. She was thinking about the time she and Yi Jeong went skating on their 'fake date.' The whole purpose of the 'date' had been to get Jan Di and Jun Pyo back together, but she had to admit that she was having so much fun that she'd nearly forgotten their whole reason for being there.

Ga Eul couldn't help but smile wistfully at the memory of skating hand in hand with Yi Jeong. And then he'd draped his coat over her to keep her warm…

Just as he had tonight…

Even though it had all been a ruse, Ga Eul had the best time on that date, and she suspected that maybe Yi Jeong had a good time, too. And somehow—even if she had only been kidding herself then—she'd thought that it was the start of something wonderful…

Back then, Ga Eul told herself that even if they only had this one day, it was perfect. And she would treasure it in her heart forever…

Sometimes, she still couldn't believe that she was with So Yi Jeong. It had to be a very long, realistic fantasy, didn't it? But no, it was real, and words could not express her elation…


"Are you having fun?" Jan Di asked of Ga Eul—who had been silent for a very long time.

"Yes, and you?"

"Yes."

"Are you still worried about the dream, Jan Di? Did you talk to Ji Hoo Sunbae?"

"I did talk to him, but I didn't tell him about the dream. And I really don't think I should..."

"Yeah, that's probably best. It'll only bring confusion."

Jan Di nodded. And there was a pregnant pause before she finally spoke again, "He…told me today that he still has feelings for me…"

Ga Eul pursed her lips and nodded. "Yeah, I thought that he probably did…"

Jan Di sighed. "He told me that he is working to get past it, though. And he said that he is going to…pull back or something… I'm not really sure what he meant…"

Ga Eul nodded. "And how do you feel about that?"

Jan Di thought for a moment. "I don't know," she shook her head. "It's probably a good thing, right?"

And then Jan Di put on a smile. "But enough about me and my dumb problems! How are you doing, Ga Eul-ah?"

Ga Eul pondered that question for a moment.

"It seems like things are going very well between you and Yi Jeong Sunbae," Jan Di commented.

"Yes, they are…"

Ga Eul was smiling, but there was a hesitation in her voice, and it concerned Jan Di. Jan Di studied her best friend. "Ga Eul-ah, is everything alright?"

Ga Eul nodded slowly. "Yes, but…"

"But? What is it, Ga Eul-ah?"

"Well," Ga Eul paused. "…I think there is something on Yi Jeong Sunbae's mind that he doesn't want to say. And it's worrying me a little bit."


Ever since their conversation at the Fotografiska, Ga Eul had suspected that something was going on. His question about whether she liked it there, his mention of the courses, and his comment about it not being home—it was somehow unsettling to her. And even though she and Yi Jeong had talked about so much the night before, she still had a pit in her stomach over it…


Jan Di placed a hand upon Ga Eul's shoulder and searched for the right words to say—some advice or something comforting… But it was then that the guys returned with drinks for them…


Later that night…

After dropping Ga Eul off, Yi Jeong noticed a message on his phone—several, actually. They were all from Elise, stating that she urgently needed to speak with him. So, he called her up in his car, and she asked to meet with him.

Sensing the distress in her voice, Yi Jeong agreed to meet with her, and he was driven to her condo. Once inside, Elise wasted no time in getting straight to the point.

"Yi Jeong, my father is going to offer you his position again at the benefit—in front of the Board."

"What? But I turned him down before."

"I know, but it's just the way he is. He doesn't accept no easily," Elise sighed and placed a hand on her forehead. "He always wants things done his way, and he'll do just about anything to get what he wants... Anyway, I wanted to prepare you. It won't be pretty if you refuse…"

"Well, I'm not completely inexperienced in dealing with a domineering authority figure." And Yi Jeong was reminded of F4's interactions with Jun Pyo's imperious mother, Madam Kang.

Elise nodded. "That's good to know, but there's more. My father's health is not the best…," Elise tightened her lips, "…So, the board of directors is insisting that he at least name his successor, in case…something happens…," and she hung her head.

Yi Jeong clenched his jaw, and his heart went out to Elise. He knew what it was like to have an ailing parent; although, his mother's health problems were more psychological. Yi Jeong placed a hand upon Elise's shoulder. "I'm sorry to hear that your father is not well."

"Thank you."

"Is there anything I can do?"

She allowed herself a few brief seconds of sadness before raising her head again. "Yes, actually there is. I have a huge request to make of you, Yi Jeong."

Yi Jeong braced himself, as he waited for her request.

Finally, she spoke with determination, "I need you to accept his offer."

"What?!" and he stared at her as if she'd lost her mind.

"Hear me out, Yi Jeong. Can you at least pretend to accept? I'm certain I can get you out of it later."

"That's insane, Elise," Yi Jeong replied—and he didn't mind telling her so because it was.

"I know it is, but I'm begging you," and Elise clasped her hands. "Do I look like the type of person who begs?"

Yi Jeong folded his arms; he shook his head.

"So, you know this is important. Will you do it for me, as a friend?"

"That's an awful lot to ask of me, Elise."

"I know. And I know I have no right to ask, and you have no reason to accept, but you see…if you don't accept, he's going to offer it to someone else. And this person absolutely cannot get the position. He will ruin everything…" Elise glanced away and dropped her arms dejectedly to her sides.

Yi Jeong turned her back to face him. "How can you know that?"

"I know; trust me!" she shouted, and then she continued more softly, "I just know…please…" And there was the hint of tears glistening in her eyes.

Yi Jeong had never seen Elise so desperate and vulnerable looking. It was as if her own life was at stake…

He sighed. "I don't know, Elise. I really don't think it's a good idea. Whoever this guy is, perhaps there is something that can be done."

"No, no, you don't understand!" she shouted and grabbed onto his shoulders, shaking him. Yi Jeong gently removed her hands and placed his own upon her shoulders.

"Then help me understand," he spoke softly, as she stared back into his eyes. "Because if I'm going to agree to something like this, I'm going to need a damn good reason."

**To Be Continued**


Teaser: The night of the benefit arrives, and F3 and the girls attend. Mr. Andersson makes a big announcement, and Elise drops a few bombs of her own…