Life & Longing

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Chapter Three: Life & Longing 

It had been one month since Yi Jeong returned to Sweden. Ga Eul and he had gone about their own separate lives, yet now with the words of their hearts spoken and holding a special promise to one another. Ga Eul had thrown herself into school and work at the porridge shop. Between work and school, she barely had a moment to spare. Neither of them did, really.

Yi Jeong had also become increasingly busy, with university courses, holding exhibitions for his pottery, and physical therapy on his hand. Since his injury—and Ga Eul's vow to make his hand move again—Yi Jeong had been dedicated to discovering ways of bringing his craftsmanship up to par again. But he did not simply wish to become as good as he was before; he desired to become even better.

In addition to classes, therapy, and his pottery, So Yi Jeong had become the spokesperson for the museum in Stockholm. Erik Andersson had taken a shining to him, so Yi Jeong was now attending meetings with investors with Mr. Andersson and his daughter. Apparently, Yi Jeong's charisma not only worked on the ladies but had also worked on Mr. Andersson. And Yi Jeong was now expected to charm the wealthy financiers, as he had Mr. Andersson. It came as no surprise that Yi Jeong always knew exactly what to say and do, and he had been wowing the Swedish businessmen and women with his poise and pleasant, confident demeanor.


Despite their busy lives, Ga Eul and Yi Jeong were making every effort to keep in touch regularly. They exchanged e-mails, shared photos—Yi Jeong was always asking for ones of her—texted, or called. And Ga Eul was suddenly a huge fan of her cell phone provider for its excellent international phone plan. And recently, they had begun to video chat. Perhaps it was silly, but Ga Eul always took extra care with her appearance when she knew that they were going to video chat.

As of late, Ga Eul had gotten the notion into her head to visit Yi Jeong in Sweden. It would be a fantastical feat for her—she acknowledged that—but she was determined. Ga Eul didn't want to ask Yi Jeong for financial help, and though it would probably take her 20 years to save up enough for the trip, she was confident that she could do it on her own… But it would take quite some time, so for now she could only fantasize about it…


Yi Jeong and Ga Eul had a routine going with their communication, though he liked to be spontaneous at times, too. Yi Jeong called Ga Eul in the early morning—if he could—and before he went to bed, unless he had to go in early.

He had originally been concerned about waking her too early, but Ga Eul had been insistent that she didn't care about that. Yi Jeong had to admit, he found it adorable speaking with her while she was using her sleepy, first-thing-in-the-morning voice, though she always quickly perked up.

And then Yi Jeong would try to call her at night before she went to sleep, if on a late lunch or a mid-afternoon break from classes. He would ask about her day. She would ask about his morning and what he had for lunch. And he would bid her goodnight, sometimes both refusing to end the call first… But due to their hectic and sometimes conflicting schedules, they had been missing each other's calls more and more lately.


Ga Eul was still a bit hesitant to express herself freely to Yi Jeong, not out of shyness or uncertainty about her feelings for him, but because she feared that she would be too bold and overstep her boundaries.

Ga Eul wasn't usually one to be afraid to express her emotions—rather she was the type of girl who wore her tender heart on her sleeve—and though Yi Jeong had taught her how to be strong in matters of love, she didn't always know how to be strong when it came to him… And she had to admit there were times when she worried about frightening him with the power of her emotions.

But, she was doing her best to get past this. It was silly, after all. They had already expressed how they felt about one another, so why should she still worry over such things...?

Yi Jeong, on the other hand, never had a problem with saying how he felt. Ga Eul recalled one time recently… They had been missing one another a great deal, and the conversation turned more…romantic


Ga Eul had pushed through her doubts and decided to be brave. She told him exactly how she had been feeling—how she had been missing him, how she couldn't wait to see him, and how she thought of their last time together constantly… Yi Jeong told her that he thought about it all of the time, too, and how he had been dreaming of the next time they could be together…

And then…he detailed exactly what he planned to do when he saw her next…

Yi Jeong described for Ga Eul how he would kiss and caress her—so well that Ga Eul could practically feel his touch—and she had to actively control all the sensations that were rapidly traveling through her body like a bolt of lightning through water.

Yi Jeong was respectful, and he left some things to the imagination—he liked to remain a bit mysterious, after all—but he told Ga Eul enough to make her blush like mad. Apparently, So Yi Jeong was as adept with his words as with his touch…


It was the morning of Ga Eul's 21st birthday…

Though it was considered a special day, she still had to go to school and work, so it was business as usual for Ga Eul. Ga Eul had agreed; however, to spend some time with Jan Di that evening, after she practically begged.

Jan Di had decided to forgive Yi Jeong after he made his spontaneous visit to Korea, but Ga Eul noticed that her best friend had been overly concerned about her welfare lately. Jan Di had been asking Ga Eul to do things with her a lot and checking in more than usual, and Ga Eul suspected that Jan Di was concerned that she would be lonely or depressed.

Was she giving off some kind of sadness vibe, Ga Eul wondered? She had thought she was acting completely normal and happy, but perhaps her loneliness for Yi Jeong was inadvertently coming out…

It was true that Ga Eul missed Yi Jeong very much—it was almost a physical ache at times—but rather than being down and feeling sorry for herself, she actually felt hopeful, as if new life had been breathed into her... Being so in love as she was, and what was more, having that love returned was the most incredible endorphin rush she'd ever experienced.

Not that having Yi Jeong return for only one day hadn't been like giving a child a lollipop and then immediately snatching it away, leaving her sobbing for it back. But Ga Eul promised herself that—though it would not be easy—she wasn't going to get hung up on missing him too much. She had a life to live and goals, just as he did.

Yeah, good luck with that one, Chu Ga Eul, she thought.


Ga Eul knew that her best friend was sympathetic to her plight. After all, Jan Di's boyfriend was very far away, too…

Jan Di and Jun Pyo were also doing their best at keeping in touch while Jun Pyo was in the United States, but Jun Pyo had been very busy lately, so he and Jan Di hadn't spoken as much. Jan Di joked that practically running the world must take up a lot of his time, and she half-expected Jun Pyo to be telling stories any day now of meeting the president of the United States and dining at the White House. When asked if she missed him, Jan Di simply said that she was too busy to think about it much.

But despite Jan Di's bravado, Ga Eul knew that she missed Jun Pyo, and she was thankful that Jan Di had Ji Hoo Sunbae to keep her company.

Ji Hoo Sunbae had been as busy as any of them, if not more so. He was studying to be a doctor, running the Suam Cultural Center, conducting his orchestra, and he and Jan Di were helping out his grandfather at the Clinic. And now, they were also doing volunteer work at the local hospital.

Ga Eul didn't know how they did it all…


Now that Ga Eul and Jan Di were in college, their boss had hired an extra girl to help out, so he didn't need them as much. Ji Hoo had been concerned that Jan Di was overworking herself, so he had somehow managed to convince the stubborn Jan Di to cut back on her hours there. How he accomplished this, Ga Eul didn't know. Jan Di had said that he made some good points—that her boss didn't need her as much now, that she didn't need the money, and that she should focus on medical school.

Ga Eul swore that the guy acted simultaneously like Jan Di's father, big brother, and boyfriend all wrapped in one, despite their 'just friends' status—that Jan Di had to keep clarifying to curious parties who witnessed their interactions.


On the morning of the anniversary of her birth, Ga Eul's eyelashes fluttered and she opened her eyes to greet the day, a bright ray of sunshine kissing her face. She released a soft sigh of simultaneous pleasure and disappointment, for she had been having a very pleasant dream about a certain someone… Her cheeks were warm and slightly rosy, for the dream had been a bit…well, let's just say she wasn't going to be telling anyone about it…

Oh, it felt so real! If only it had been…

She bit her lower lip lightly, "Ahhh!" and pulled the covers over her head, kicking her feet frantically, like a child. She took a deep breath and released it, bringing herself back to reality. As Ga Eul blinked the sleep from her eyes, she briefly considered whether or not she felt any older.

And then, she heard a particular ringtone emanating from the phone beside her bed. A wide smiled crossed her lips, as she picked it up and brought it to her ear, still lying in bed.

Immediately, the sound of a dulcet voice—sweet as honey—met her ears. She closed her eyes and simply listened…

"Saeng il chukha ham ni da…

Saeng il chukha ham ni da…

Sarang ha neun, Ga Eul-yang…

Saeng il chukha ham ni da…"

Ga Eul's smile grew even wider, if that were possible. "Gomawo, Yi Jeong-ah… I had no idea you had such a nice voice," she blushed lightly. Honestly, was there anything the man wasn't good at?

Yi Jeong smiled on the other end. He lay in his own bed, one hand holding the phone and the other tucked behind his head.

"How are you on this very special day, Ga Eul-yang?"

She smiled, "I'm good, Yi Jeong-ah. And how are you?"

"Much better now, after hearing your voice," he whispered.

Ga Eul flushed again. Sometimes the Casanova still comes out…, she thought. But she didn't mind so much when she was the one on the receiving end of his charms.

"What are you going to do today, Ga Eul-yang?" Yi Jeong asked. Ga Eul thought she noticed a hint of sadness to his tone.

"Well, I have work and school, and then I need to do some studying and work on a paper…"

"You should not have to do any of those things on your birthday, Ga Eul-yang" he asserted.

"Well, there's no getting around it, So Yi Jeong-ssi. Oh, and Jan Di wants to spend some time with me this evening. I have the suspicion that she's trying to throw a party for me…," Ga Eul said, grinning at the recollection of her best friend's weak excuse. Jan Di was not so accomplished at deception.

"Well, I wouldn't know anything about that…," Yi Jeong chuckled. "Did you receive anything from me today, Ga Eul-yang?" she could hear the smile in his voice when he asked

"No, Yi Jeong-ah…"

"Well, you will be," he said.

Ga Eul smiled. She hadn't expected anything really, but there was the hope that he would think of her… Ga Eul didn't want to be presumptuous, but Yi Jeong had proven himself to be a romantic on more than one occasion… And he had gone out of his way to shower her with gifts when Jan Di lied to Jun Pyo before and told him it was her birthday. And they barely knew one another then…


They talked for a while longer. Yi Jeong spoke of the beauty of the city skyline at night, which he was currently viewing from his balcony. Ga Eul asked him to describe it to her. She absolutely loved when he described things to her…

And Ga Eul was learning much about Stockholm from Yi Jeong. He had told her all about the city—the UNESCO World Heritage sites he'd visited, the food, the people—and Ga Eul was beginning to feel like she knew Stockholm well, as if she'd actually been there.

They both knew they would need to get off the phone soon, for Ga Eul would be off to class and Yi Jeong off to bed, but they were just trying to savor each moment. Ga Eul asked Yi Jeong to continue speaking. She closed her eyes, simply enjoying listening to the sweet sound of his gentle voice that was like a caress to her…

She was so immersed in his voice—like a warm, comfortable blanket on a snowy day—that she barely registered that he had stopped talking.

"Ga Eul-yang," he whispered into the phone after a moment of silence.

"Oh, yes, Yi Jeong-ah?" she stammered, hoping he didn't think that she hadn't been paying attention…

"I miss you," he cooed.

Ga Eul's lips curved upward once more—in fact, her face practically hurt from smiling so much during the call. "I miss you, too, So Yi Jeong."


Later that morning…

Jan Di awoke and groggily reached for her phone on the bedside table. She texted Ga Eul to wish her happy birthday, and then she hopped out of bed like a bunny. She rushed into the kitchen and immediately began preparing breakfast for Ji Hoo and herself—Grandfather was out of town—while she went over her mental checklist for the day.

While she fixed Ji Hoo's breakfast, Jan Di thought of Ga Eul. She wished for her to have a wonderful day and for all the plans to come together. Then, her thoughts drifted to Ji Hoo…

Jan Di hadn't thought it possible to appreciate her firefighter more than she already did, but ever since Ji Hoo's spontaneous trip to Sweden on Ga Eul's behalf, she found herself bursting with gratitude for him. And though she knew he would never ask anything of her in return, she kept wracking her brain for ways to show him how indebted to him she was—and always would be—for all the kindness he'd showered upon her over the years.


Despite Ji Hoo's initial objections, Jan Di always helped with the cooking and keeping house. Ji Hoo constantly reminded Jan Di that she was a guest there, not a maid, and that she didn't need to do any of this. But she wanted to pull her weight. It was the way she was raised, and it was her way of repaying the favor of being allowed to live there. And she had to admit that she felt a bit guilty, too, for always imposing upon him…

Ji Hoo had eventually ceased trying to convince Jan Di not to do chores in his home. He had long since learned that Jan Di was very stubborn, and it was useless to argue with her about most things. Still, Ji Hoo held out for a while. Jan Di smiled at the recollection of a playful little fight they had over the cleaning…

That time, she'd been in the kitchen of Ji Hoo's home sweeping the floor…


Ji Hoo came home, noticed her cleaning, and suggested that she stop. She told him it was fine and that she didn't mind doing it. He insisted that she go and relax. She refused him again, and this time, he grabbed hold of the broom handle. It reminded her of that time when she sought refuge at the Clinic after the incident with Madam Kang at the hotel, when the pain and humiliation had become almost too much to bear… Ji Hoo had stopped her then, too, so that he could comfort her…

But this time, Jan Di gripped the broom tight with both hands. Ji Hoo clenched his jaw and uncharacteristically fought her over it.

"Give it up, Otter," he gently demanded, giving the broom a light tug. He seemed a bit frustrated, but there was the hint of a playful grin upon his lips.

"No way! I'm not done yet!" she argued, tightening her death-grip on the cleaning tool.

And they both began jerking the broom back and forth. He was much stronger, but he was clearly not using his full strength. And the battle became more playful… The scenario was so ridiculous—it seemed more like a situation she would get into with Jun Pyo… But unlike Jun Pyo, Ji Hoo gave in.

Ji Hoo finally groaned in frustration and released the broom, shaking his head at her. And they had a good laugh over the whole ordeal…


Although Jan Di enjoyed doing nice things for Ji Hoo, she was ashamed to admit that she had an ulterior motive for her actions this morning. She needed yet another favor from him… Jan Di scoffed at herself and finished making breakfast.

Then, Jan Di woke Ji Hoo, out of necessity, though she wished she could allow him to sleep longer. Ji Hoo sleepily blinked up at her. He yawned and stretched his arms over his head. "Good morning, Jan Di-yah."

"Good morning," she said with a smile, before yanking him out of bed and dragging him by the sleeve into the dining room. She sat him down, and Ji Hoo observed the inordinate amount of food—arranged in a colorful display—before him. He glanced at Jan Di curiously. "What's all this, Otter?" he grinned, wondering if the two of them could truly finish it all. Jan Di merely encouraged him to eat.

Jan Di often made breakfast, but she did not usually go to this much trouble. Ji Hoo continued to . "Do you know of something that is wrong with me, Jan Di-yah…? Perhaps I am ill or dying…?" he smirked.

Jan Di chuckled, "No, no, nothing like that…"

"Then, did you perhaps do something wrong?"

"No!" she exclaimed, and Ji Hoo chuckled at her over-the-top reaction. He couldn't help getting her a bit riled up sometimes.

Ji Hoo had noticed that Jan Di had been bending over backward to do things for him, since he'd gone to Sweden. "You know, you don't have to continue to do all this, Jan Di-yah. You already thanked me for going to Sweden…"

"I know...I just…wanted to do something nice for you…," Jan Di said sheepishly, and she watched him give a slow nod. Ji Hoo observed her closely, slightly suspicious, and it was clear that she wasn't going to get anything past him.

But then Ji Hoo brought out his pearly smile. "Well, that's very sweet. Thank you, Jan Di-yah," he bid her to join him at the table. She sat down across from him and began to eat. Ji Hoo took a bite and slowly chewed, while studying Jan Di.

"You know, I feel like it is my birthday or something," Ji Hoo further toyed, "But it's not. In fact, today is Ga Eul's birthday, right?"

"Yes, it is…," Jan Di glanced away, guilt-ridden, "And about that…"

"What about it?"

"Well, I sort of have…a small favor to ask…"

"Yes? What is it?" Ji Hoo grinned and took another bite. As he had expected, something was up…

"Well, Yi Jeong Sunbae is in Sweden, as you know, and I think Ga Eul is really missing him… I was hoping to cheer her up by throwing that birthday party for her…"

Ji Hoo nodded. She'd already invited him and Woo Bin to it.

"Well, the place where I was going to have it fell through, so…I was kind of hoping to…have it here…"

Ji Hoo nodded in perfect understanding and finished chewing the bite in his mouth.

"So…is that OK, Sunbae? I'll do all the work; I promise, you won't have to do a thing!" she energetically waved her hands for emphasis.

Ji Hoo swallowed. He raised a brow and smiled. "Of course you can have the party here, Jan Di-yah."

Jan Di squealed, rose from her chair, and rushed over to Ji Hoo. She threw her arms around his neck. "Oh, thank you, Sunbae!"

Ji Hoo froze and then gently squeezed her arm. Jan Di ended the embrace too soon for Ji Hoo's liking and went back to her seat, while Ji Hoo took a second to compose himself. He released his breath and smiled again.

"Is that why you went to so much trouble?" he chuckled. Jan Di had many wonderful qualities, but diabolical plans were not her strong suit.

Jan Di gave him an awkward smile. "Well, I really do enjoy cooking for you, you know…but, I guess I was kind of hoping you'd say yes to the party, too…"

Ji Hoo grinned and shook his head. "You could have just asked, Otter."

"I know, Sunbae… Mianhae…," she glanced away sheepishly, "…But I did also really want to let you know…how much I appreciate you…," she gave him an affectionate smile.

Ji Hoo revealed his brilliant smile again. "Thank you, Jan Di-yah. I appreciate you, too."

They exchanged a tender look and then went back to their breakfast.


Late that morning…

Ga Eul was studying at the library between classes. Jan Di had been concerned about Ga Eul being lonely for Yi Jeong, but in addition to keeping busy, Ga Eul had made a few friends in school that helped to temporarily take her mind off him, though they could never fully succeed at that. He was still the first person she thought of in the morning, the last person she thought of at night, and there were many, many speckled thoughts of him throughout the day.

Ga Eul had been assigned a collaborative research paper for her Child Psychology class, and she had been partnered up with a male partner. His name was Kim Sang-Woo, and he was planning to become a middle school teacher. Sang-Woo was nice, intelligent, and they had become friends—of sorts—at least as far as school was concerned.

Sang-Woo had actually been in school with Ga Eul since elementary, but they had never really spoken much. They were in the same class a few times over the years and they had partnered together before. Sang-Woo had always been kind to Ga Eul and eager to help her.

Once, in middle school, Ga Eul recalled her books spilling out of her hands and scattering all across the hall. Sang-Woo had seen this, and he quickly scooped them up. She thanked him and prepared to take them from him, but instead he offered to carry them to her next class for her.

Ga Eul felt a bit guilty that she hadn't mentioned Sang-Woo to Yi Jeong. She hadn't done so on purpose—she didn't feel there was really much to tell… But then, she recalled how hurt she'd been when Yi Jeong had failed to mention Ms. Andersson to her. And then the article had come out and caused a huge misunderstanding. Those lies of omission had a way of coming back to haunt a person, so Ga Eul decided that she would tell Yi Jeong about Kim Sang-Woo the next chance she got.


Speaking of him…

Ga Eul was greeted by the voice of a young man, and she looked up to see Kim Sang-Woo standing there with a smile upon his face.

"Good morning, Ga Eul-ssi," he said.

"Good morning, Sang-Woo Sunbae."

"May I join you?" he asked, and Ga Eul agreed.

They discussed the topic for their research paper, plans for data collection, and they made other idle conversation for about an hour.


As Ga Eul began to pack up her things, a man in his early 30s, dressed in a delivery uniform approached her. "Chu Ga Eul-ssi?" he asked.

"Yes," Ga Eul nodded, confused.

"Oh good, someone pointed you out to me. This is for you," he handed her a rectangular box, nicely gift wrapped with a bow. "Could you sign please?" he offered a signature pad and pen, and Ga Eul signed and thanked him with a bow.

"Oh, is it a special occasion, or does Ga Eul-ssi have a secret admirer?" Sang-Woo asked curiously.

"Well, I suppose it could be for my birthday…," she replied.

"It's your birthday today, Ga Eul-ssi?"

"Yes."

Ga Eul planned to wait and open the gift later, but Sang-Woo encouraged her open it now, so she did. She opened the card first and read it, and her smile grew like wild vines along a trellis.

"Who is it from?" Sang-Woo asked.

Ga Eul smiled to herself. "Oh, well, from…a friend," she said. She still wasn't sure if she should refer to So Yi Jeong as her boyfriend in front of people she didn't know all that well. Sang-Woo glanced at the card, catching sight of the name on the bottom. A frown crossed his lips.

And then she opened the gift. It was a box of gourmet Swedish chocolates.


Twenty minutes later…

Ga Eul arrived home to her apartment, only to be greeted by a giant teddy bear leaning against her door and staring up at her. Balloons were tied upon the giant plush animal's fluffy wrist.

Aren't you overdoing it a bit, So Yi Jeong…? she thought, with a wry smile.

But then Ga Eul's smile turned tender, and she bent down to scoop up her new fuzzy friend. She fumbled with her key and opened the door. Ga Eul carried the bear in and sat it comfortably on her bed. She ruffled the bear's fuzz and reached in her pocket for her phone.

She knew that Yi Jeong would still be sleeping, so she simply sent him a message, hoping she wouldn't disturb him. "I love the gifts, Yi Jeong-ah, gomawo!" she texted.

Then, Ga Eul went to her room to change for work.


An hour later…

Ga Eul was at work at the porridge shop, and she and Jan Di had just finished serving the lunch crowd. Jan Di and Master had been fawning over her today, too.

After the place cleared out, Master sat Ga Eul down and presented her with a lovely cream cake that he'd whipped up for her. The light, fluffy sponge cake was layered with cream and lined by fresh fruit in a beautiful rainbow display. And he'd placed a single candle in it.

Ga Eul stared at the dessert in awe and delicious anticipation, wondering when he'd found time to make such a creation for her. Master took a seat across from Ga Eul, pulling Jan Di down to sit beside him. And then Jan Di and Master began singing happy birthday to Ga Eul.

Ga Eul grinned over at her boss and best friend, as they sang to her. Then, Master encouraged Ga Eul to eat up, while he watched her, smiling widely and resting his face in his hands.

Ga Eul thanked them both vibrantly and bowed to Master. And Ga Eul offered them both some of her cake. Ga Eul and Jan Di took a bite of the sweet dessert. They looked between each other, their eyes wide in pleasant surprise, and uttered, "Mmm!"

"It's so tasty, Master!" Ga Eul exclaimed.

"Yes, you could be a baker!" Jan Di added, wishing she'd gone to him for Ga Eul's birthday cake, instead of the bakery around the corner.


Jan Di had also invited Master to Ga Eul's party that night. He'd been very touched and acted all star-struck about attending a party at Ji Hoo's house. Master was still in awe that Jan Di was living with the famous Yoon Ji Hoo.

"You're going to play it cool around Ji Hoo Sunbae and Woo Bin Sunbae, right, Master?" Jan Di asked. Master scoffed and waved her off with a hand, but then he rushed off giggling. Jan Di heavily sighed. Honestly, this whole fanboy attitude of his toward F4 was a bit much…


While the three of them polished off the dessert, Jan Di asked if Ga Eul had heard from Yi Jeong Sunbae today. Ga Eul couldn't stop the smile from forming, and she replied that she had. Jan Di and Master pressed further, of course, and Ga Eul ended up telling them about speaking with him that morning, that he'd sung happy birthday to her and that he'd sent her chocolate, a giant bear, and balloons. Jan Di smiled and Master squealed about how romantic it was.

Just then, the bell on the door tinkled and a man walked in, carrying a large bouquet of assorted flowers and greenery wrapped in tissue.

"I'm looking for Chu Ga Eul-ssi," the man said, and Ga Eul informed him that she was Chu Ga Eul. She approached him and signed for the flowers. The delivery man and Ga Eul exchanged a bow. Ga Eul smiled and took a quick inhale of the flowers before walking back to Jan Di and Master.

Jan Di stood and approached Ga Eul, "Ohh, I think I know who those are from…," she nudged Ga Eul suggestively.

"Ooo… Me too, me too! Look at the card, Ga Eul-ah!" Master encouraged vibrantly.

Ga Eul grinned sheepishly. She placed the flowers delicately upon the table, and Master went for water and a vase for her. Ga Eul opened the card and began to read. She noticed that his writing looked a bit different…very different, in fact.

Oh, he must be writing with his left hand… Perhaps his right one is sore again…from physical therapy perhaps…

Ga Eul had convinced Yi Jeong not to give up pottery after his hand injury, so he had been participating in rigorous physical therapy sessions, in an attempt at restoring the hand to full functioning.

Ga Eul got lost in a moment of worry before reading further…


Dear Chu Ga Eul,

Though they cannot compare to your beauty, I sent these lovely flowers to you, on this beautiful day, the anniversary of your birth, to let you know how truly happy I am that you were born…

Ga Eul blushed and a bright smile crossed her face.

And I wanted to let you know how very much I like you…

Ga Eul smiled wryly. I know that you like me, silly So Yi Jeong… Still, she had to admit that it was rather cute… She continued to read, as she walked across the shop.

Ga Eul-ssi…

He'd referred to her as Ga Eul-ssi, not Ga Eul-yang, like he normally did… That was a bit odd…

I liked you for a very long time, but I was always afraid to tell you…

Ga Eul's brow wrinkled, but she continued to read. She neared the end of the letter, and her chocolate eyes grew wide. This was not what she had expected at all...


Jan Di and Master watched Ga Eul stumble around the shop like a zombie, clinging to the card at her side.

"Soo, what did he say?" Master asked anxiously, after displaying the floral bouquet in prominent view on the counter. Jan Di craned her neck to see Ga Eul's face, "…Ga Eul-ah, is everything alright?"

Ga Eul re-read the signature in disbelief, wondering if—and hoping—she was mistaken.

Jan Di studied Ga Eul, curiously. She was staring blankly at the tiny piece of card stock.

"Ga Eul…," Jan Di began again. Master looked between Jan Di and Ga Eul, perplexed.

"…They're not from Yi Jeong Sunbae…," Ga Eul muttered, still in a state of shock.

"What?" Jan Di stared, and Master's mouth hung open lightly. "Then, who are they from, Ga Eul?" Jan Di asked.

Ga Eul simply shoved the card into her apron and walked off without answering. She began absently wiping down a table.


Later that afternoon…

Jan Di had been insanely busy all day. In addition to her morning class and work, she had been trying to prepare for Ga Eul's party that evening. It had been a spontaneous, last-minute decision to throw a party—so like Jan Di to do such a thing—so she was rushing around, running errands here-and-there, when time allowed.

Jan Di had left work to stop off at the party store for decorations. She had two bags in hand, and she was now heading for the bakery to pick up the cake. She stopped to glance at the time. "Aigoo!" she exhaled sharply and picked up the pace.

Then, she heard her phone ring. She fumbled for it and saw that it was Ji Hoo calling. "Yoboseyo, Sunbae," she responded, listless.

"How are things going, Jan Di?"

"Well, it's going OK… What can I do for you, Sunbae?" From the sound of her voice he could tell that things could be going better

"Well, I actually just called because I wanted to know if there was anything you needed help with or needed me to pick up for the party."

How does he always know? Apparently he'd heard the emergency bell again. "…Well, you don't have to, really…," she weakly argued, "…I promised to handle it, after all. I don't want to trouble you…"

Ji Hoo grinned on his end. "It's no trouble, Otter. What still needs done?" he asked.

"Oh, Sunbae!" she shouted out, her voice a mixture of relief and panic. She had planned to act as though she had it all under control, to spare her pride, but she gave up. "Well…," Jan Di informed him of what she'd gotten done so far and what she was in the process of doing. And then she told him that she hadn't made it to the grocery store yet for the food.

"OK, I'll be going by there. What do you need?"

Jan Di rattled off her list. She was rather ashamed to admit all that still needed done—apparently she was not cut out for party planning—but Ji Hoo did not seem put-off. She felt the panic subside.

And then she thought of a few other things that needed done—including her promised visit to the hospital—and the panic returned in full-force. Ji Hoo just reminded her to breathe and calmly informed her that he would go to the grocery store and that he would pick her up from the hospital in two hours.

"Oh, you're a lifesaver, Sunbae! What on earth would I do with you?!"

The corners of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched, and he affectionately shook his head, not at all surprised that he'd gotten roped into this. But he really didn't mind. It was his job, after all, as firefighter…

"It's no problem," he said, "I'll see you later then."

"Bye, Sunbae, and thanks a million!"

Jan Di ended the call and breathed a sigh of relief. She now felt much more confident that it would all get done on time with Ji Hoo's involvement. She entered the bakery.


It was early evening, and Ga Eul made her way to the local hospital.

She was still reeling from the shock of the flowers and card she'd receive from another man… And she wasn't sure how she was going to face him. He was a nice guy, and she hated to hurt him—or anyone, for that matter—so she didn't relish the conversation that was to follow. She only hoped that they could still be friends.

For Ga Eul's research paper for her Child Psychology class, she and Sang-Woo had chosen to study how children cope with chronic and terminal illness. Jan Di and Ji Hoo had been volunteering in the pediatric ward of the local hospital in preparation for their internships there, and Jan Di had suggested that Ga Eul do her research there.

Ga Eul found the pediatric patients to be completely enchanting, and she loved visiting with them. But it was also very sad. Some of them were terminal, and it broke Ga Eul's tender heart. Their bravery and tenacious spirit was amazing to Ga Eul, though. They were always in such high spirits, particularly when they had guests…


Ga Eul arrived at the hospital to find Jan Di already there. She was singing—and acting out—Gom Se Mari before the children in the pediatric ward. Ga Eul lingered in the doorway, watching Jan Di perform amidst the smiling and laughing children. She stifled a giggle when Jan Di changed her voice to a deep one for Appa Gom.

When Jan Di finished, the children began clapping wildly, and Ga Eul joined in. Jan Di shot a look to Ga Eul over her shoulder. "Ga Eul-ah!"

Ga Eul was greeted by shouts of "Unnie!" and "Ga Eul-ssi!" from the children, who had taken a great liking to her over the past week.

A small five-year-old girl in pigtails slipped out of her hospital bed and tugged Ga Eul's sleeve. "Unnie, will you read a story to me?" she asked.

"Of course," Ga Eul replied, and she went to her bed. She helped the girl in and tucked the covers around her. The girl held out a favorite storybook to Ga Eul, and Ga Eul sat at the foot of her bed.

As she read, Ga Eul felt her phone vibrate inside her sweater pocket. She attempted to ignore it, but the young girl was pointing and telling her to get it.

Ga Eul smiled and gave the girl her apologies. She pulled out her phone. It was a message from Yi Jeong, the response from her earlier text, and Ga Eul's face instinctively lit up.


"You're welcome, Ga Eul-yang, and I'm very glad to hear that. I am relieved that you received them," his text read.

"Who is it from, Unnie?" the child asked, curiously.

"Oh, well…," Ga Eul flushed lightly, "A friend…," Ga Eul quickly responded to the text. "I did, and thank you so much again! But you didn't have to do that, Yi Jeong-ah…"

"Of course I did," he immediately replied, "How could I not spoil my Chu Ga Eul a little on her birthday?"

Ga Eul slipped her phone back in her pocket, still smiling. She couldn't help but blush lightly at the 'my Chu Ga Eul' part. He always knew the exact thing to say. Funny how one little word could send her heart pounding.

And it was a bit shallow, yes, but Ga Eul had to admit that it was nice to have a boyfriend to spoil her a little on her birthday…

Ga Eul returned to the story.


"How is Yi Jeong Sunbae?" Jan Di playfully smirked at Ga Eul, interrupting.

Ga Eul grinned, "He's fine, Jan Di-yah, just fine…"

"Who is that, Ga Eul-ssi? Your boyfriend?" a seven-year-old cancer patient asked.

Ga Eul's cheeks grew slightly rose. "Well, yes…I suppose that he is."

The girls in the room became excited and began asking all sorts of questions about him, what he was like, where he was, if he was handsome… The boys were a bit curious but not nearly as interested. Then, the girls began crowding around Ga Eul, wanting to see a picture of Yi Jeong and asking if Ga Eul had one.

She had quite a few, in fact…

Ga Eul showed them one of her favorites of him—a candid one she'd taken on their first date. She'd captured him gazing out at the sunset across the water, the hint of that perfect smile upon his lips…

One of the girls, an eleven-year-old—who acted much too old for her age—asked Ga Eul if she could send her that picture of Yi Jeong. Ga Eul raised a brow.

"What do you want it for, Chae-Won?" another girl of similar age asked.

"Well, it's just…a nice picture…"

"You want to kiss his picture before bed each night, don't you?" the other girl teased.

"Ya!" Chae-Won shouted and threatened to come over there and give her a good beating if she could get out of bed.

Ga Eul and Jan Di couldn't help but laugh. And then the girls started asking when Yi Jeong Sunbae would be returning and if he could come to visit them. They pleaded with wide, dreamy eyes that were next-to-impossible to say no to. So, Ga Eul simply informed that she would ask him.

Jan Di took Ga Eul aside and whispered to her. "These little girls seem to be completely boy-crazy already, Ga Eul… Don't you think? You better not bring Yi Jeong Sunbae here…," Jan Di warned, "They will eat him alive!"

Ga Eul giggled.

"…In fact, Ji Hoo Sunbae has already gained a few young female admirers here…," Jan Di informed Ga Eul.

Jan Di told Ga Eul of the first time she and Ji Hoo had visited. Ji Hoo brought his guitar and played and sang a song called "Because I'm Stupid" for them. And ever since, the young girls—at least the ones old enough to like boys—were enamored with him.


As if on cue, Ji Hoo strolled into the room, dressed in a light gray suit. He was looking for Jan Di and asking if she was ready to go home, to his place, of course.

"Oh Sunbae, we were just talking about you," Jan Di chuckled. Ji Hoo looked at her curiously.

"Wow…," one of the newly admitted female children—who had yet to meet Ji Hoo—uttered, with a starry look in her eyes, "Is that your husband, Unnie?" she asked of Jan Di.

Jan Di's face suddenly grew warm, and she turned 15 different shades of red. Ji Hoo also seemed taken aback by this. Jan Di gave a nervous chuckle, "Oh, no, Ha-Yun. He's just my friend."

Just a friend…

Although it was true—and Ji Hoo had accepted it—the remark still stung a bit for Ji Hoo. It was no longer like an open wound, though, but now rather like a slowly fading scar that would always remain…

"Oppa, where have you been? I missed you!" a twelve-year-old named Mi-Suk—who had developed quite the crush on Ji Hoo—exclaimed. She was a lymphoma patient who had just lost all her hair from chemotherapy, so she wore a flowered scarf on her head. She beckoned him to come to her hospital bed.

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly, "I'm sorry, Mi-Suk, but I had some things to take care of. I missed you, too. You look very beautiful today," he added. The girl beamed brighter than a lighthouse.

"Oppa, I'm not feeling so well today…," Mi-Suk pouted, "…I think I need a kiss…," she poked out her cheek. Ji Hoo smiled and walked over to her bed. He leaned down to place a quick peck upon her cheek, and she blushed like mad. A loud synchronous wooo was heard in the room, and then the other little girls were begging for a kiss from Oppa/Ji Hoo-ssi, too.

Jan Di and Ga Eul looked between each other and smirked. "See, what did I tell you?" Jan Di commented with a grin. Ga Eul chuckled. "You weren't joking…"

Ji Hoo looked helplessly to Jan Di, who simply smiled affectionately and shook her head at him.

"So, Oppa, since you're just friends with Jan Di Unnie, are you single then?"

Ji Hoo cleared his throat and glanced to Jan Di and Ga Eul before returning his eyes to his young admirer, "Well, yes, Mi-Suk. I am."

She clasped her hands together, "Oh good! Then, how about we get married when I get older? You'll wait for me, right, Oppa?" she asked hopefully.

Ji Hoo sat down upon Mi-Suk's hospital bed. He took her small hand in his, "Mi-Suk-ah, you're a very lovely girl, but I'm far too old for you," he gave her hand a light pat in apology.

"No, you're not, Oppa! I just need about…," she thought for a second, "Eight years."

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately. "Well, let us just wait and see if you still want to marry me in 8 years, Mi-Suk-ah. I may seem really old to you then..."

Jan Di and Ga Eul laughed.

"Oh, no you won't, Oppa! I'll still want to marry you!" she assured. Ji Hoo smiled and patted her hand again.


After spending a bit longer with the children and finishing off the story she had begun, Ga Eul took her leave, along with Jan Di and Ji Hoo. They walked together down the hall, and Jan Di began teasing Ji Hoo about becoming a ladies man.

"You see, I warned you about being too friendly… Now Mi-Suk has gone and fallen in love with you," Jan Di teased.

Ji Hoo gave her a wry smile, "You're right, Jan Di-yah, you did warn me…," he recalled.

"Well, it's not really your fault, Sunbae. You're just too likable," Jan Di gave him a playful shove.

Ga Eul watched the interaction between Jan Di and Ji Hoo, and she smiled to herself. Jan Di and Ji Hoo were so cute together. And it was odd that they weren't a couple… Ga Eul had always thought Ji Hoo was perfect for Jan Di, after all, and he loved her so much…

Ga Eul had been surprised when Jan Di and Jun Pyo fell for one another, in fact. They were so different…aside from their mutual tempers… And Ga Eul hadn't always supported Jan Di and Jun Pyo's relationship because of his mother and all the pain and hardships Jan Di went through because of Jun Pyo. Ga Eul acknowledged that most of it wasn't Jun Pyo's fault, and she had moved past her anger with him. Jun Pyo and Jan Di truly seemed to love one another, and Jun Pyo had changed so much for Jan Di, so Ga Eul approved of him now.

But Ga Eul felt a bit sad for Ji Hoo Sunbae. He still seemed to have very strong feelings for Jan Di. She wondered if it was hard for him to see her on a regular basis and live with her, while still harboring those feelings. Ga Eul hoped Ji Hoo would find a wonderful girl someday…

Yi Jeong would say that Ga Eul was always wishing for happy endings…


It was around 5PM, and Ga Eul's party would begin in 2 hours…

Jan Di had brilliantly come up with the idea to tell Ga Eul that she wanted her to come over for a small dinner with her and Ji Hoo, not mentioning the party. She had invited Ga Eul's parents, Master, and Woo Bin Sunbae to the party, of course.

Jan Di had cleaned up and attempted to make the place look festive. She'd hung some streamers and scattered balloons around.


Presently, Jan Di was standing on a stepladder, attempting to hang a happy birthday banner for Ga Eul. Ji Hoo walked through the door with a bag of groceries in each arm. Jan Di turned to look at him over her shoulder—while awkwardly juggling the banner—and bid him hello.

"Jan Di-yah, you get down from there!" Ji Hoo scolded, rather than greeting her back. "I'll do that."

"It's fine, Sunbae," she fumbled with the banner.

Ji Hoo set the groceries down at his feet. "You're going to fall and break your neck!" he called to her, practically panicked.

"No, I won't. I'm fine, Sunbae," she waved him off and moved to a higher rung. Ji Hoo watched the ladder wobble slightly.

Ji Hoo could see disaster written all over this scenario… He didn't trust her coordination one bit and was sure that she would fall, so he quickly rushed to her side. He held out his arms and steadied the ladder.

"Jan Di-yah, please come down," Ji Hoo begged, but she stubbornly insisted that she just…about…had it

Ji Hoo sighed and watched her reach upward, going up on her toes slightly, and he suddenly had a terrible thought… He wasn't sure what possessed him, but he suddenly grabbed her by her small waist, pulling her off the ladder.

Jan Di gasped lightly, and the shock of having nothing under her feet caused her to turn slightly and wrap her arms around his neck. The banner floated to the ground, like a feather.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di were face-to-face now, mere inches apart… Ji Hoo had his arms wrapped tight around her waist, and they were staring into one another's eyes. Ji Hoo felt his heart begin to speed up… Oddly, Jan Di was experiencing a similar sensation… Hers had gotten a bit faster, too. Perhaps it was the adrenaline of being temporarily airborne…

"S-s-sunbae…," she uttered, her feet hovering just above the floor.

Ji Hoo finally returned to his senses and set her down upon solid ground, his hands resting upon her waist, perhaps a bit longer than they should have... Realizing this, Ji Hoo quickly dropped his hands to his sides. He released an exhale.

"I'm sorry, Jan Di," he cleared his throat, "But I'll do that," he reiterated. Then, he turned quickly from her, grabbed the banner, and ascended the ladder.


After the banner was hung, Ji Hoo took the groceries into the kitchen. Jan Di pulled out the ingredients for the seaweed soup and began to prepare it, while Ji Hoo put the rest of the items away. Convinced she was relatively safe for now, Ji Hoo went to complete a few tasks of his own.

Twenty minutes later, he caught the delicious scent of beef and garlic and returned to the kitchen. Jan Di was stirring the seaweed soup. Ji Hoo leaned against the counter across from her, as they discussed last minute details for the party.

While Jan Di stirred the soup, she reminisced about first meeting Ga Eul. And she told Ji Hoo how she had been very concerned about Ga Eul dating Yi Jeong at first, but that now she trusted him. Jan Di also expressed how she was thrilled that Ga Eul seemed so happy. Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. He asserted that Yi Jeong seemed very happy with her, too.

"It's a shame Yi Jeong Sunbae can't be here tonight…," Jan Di commented, as she held out the spoon for Ji Hoo to taste-test the soup. He nodded his approval.

"Unless you know something I don't, that is…," Jan Di glanced to Ji Hoo, hopefully.

"No, Otter. If you're wondering if he plans to surprise her by showing up, I'm sorry, but he didn't mention anything to me. And I highly doubt it because he has an exhibition tonight."

"Oh," Jan Di mumbled, disappointed. "Well, that would have been nice…"

Ji Hoo nodded, "Yes, it would have been, but he can't just hop on a plane anytime and come back for a visit," he grinned.

"Why not? Don't you chaebols just come and go as you please?" Jan Di raised a brow and smirked over at him. After all, Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong had just done that. Jan Di went back to the soup. She smiled to herself, recalling Ji Hoo's extremely thoughtful gesture.

But Jan Di's expression suddenly turned, and she grew a bit sad… "…He could come anytime if he really wanted to… It's not like he doesn't have the money…," she mumbled, "Gu Jun Pyo used to do that kind of thing all the time…" Jan Di felt much more secure now, but sometimes she recalled Macau and a small speck of her wondered if things would change…

Ji Hoo did not miss Jan Di's subtle mention of used to. And he suspected Jan Di was having a moment of loneliness for Jun Pyo.

"Hey, Jan Di…," he spoke gently, and she turned to look at him, fighting back an inexplicable bit of moisture in her eyes. She quickly wiped away a tear with her sleeve. "Sorry, Sunbae…it's the garlic…"

"Jan Di-yah…," he gave her a tender look, "You know that Jun Pyo is just very busy…that's why he hasn't made a trip back yet… But I'm sure he thinks about you constantly…"

Jan Di nodded and put on a strong face, "I know, Sunbae… You're right. I'm just being silly… I didn't really mean to insinuate anything…"

"You're not silly," Ji Hoo said gently, as he ran a hand lightly up her arm. "It's not about the money… Both Jun Pyo and Yi Jeong have a lot more responsibilities now. They are both trying to prove themselves worthy…of the women they love."

Jan Di smiled affectionately and nodded, "Well, I can't really blame them for that… I'm proud of him, really...of both of them. It seems like Gu Jun Pyo and Yi Jeong Sunbae are really growing up..."

"Well, it's about time, isn't it?" Ji Hoo smirked, and Jan Di burst into laughter.


An hour later…

Ji Hoo had gone to pick up Ga Eul to bring her to his house for the evening, while Jan Di finished with the preparations.

Ga Eul was not at all surprised when she arrived to a dark home, only to be greeted by everyone jumping out at her and shouting happy birthday. She pretended to be surprised, though, for her best friend's sake.

Ga Eul glanced around the room. Obviously, Jan Di thought that her best friend was still five years old, given the decorations. But Ga Eul greatly appreciated all the trouble Jan Di went to, and she gave her a big hug for it. And Ga Eul had to admit that the place looked nice and that it was very thoughtful…


The party was a blast. They all had appetizers and seaweed soup, and then Jan Di brought out a lovely, heart-shaped cake decorated with a colorful floral bouquet of icing. Everyone sang to Ga Eul, talked and mingled. Jun Pyo even called and got on video chat. He wished Ga Eul a happy birthday and then commented that she was getting old... Jan Di shouted at Jun Pyo and promised to give him a good slap next time she saw him, but Ga Eul merely laughed and agreed that she was getting a bit old.

Ji Hoo and Woo Bin attempted to get Yi Jeong on video chat, but they were not able to reach him. Ga Eul was not surprised, nor overly disappointed, though. She knew he had back-to-back meetings before his exhibition. And she'd wished him well and had been sending thoughts his way all day. She'd already been able to speak with him that day and hopefully would catch him later or tomorrow. Not to mention, he'd sent her all those gifts, so he'd done plenty to make her birthday special.

Next, there were presents, followed by dancing. Ga Eul took turns dancing with her father, Master, Ji Hoo and Woo Bin. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin were the best dancers. Ji Hoo danced a short, elegant dance with Ga Eul. Ga Eul sat out for the next slow dance, while Ji Hoo partnered with Jan Di. Ji Hoo wrapped his arm snugly around Jan Di's waist and held her close, for the second time that day, unbeknownst to Ga Eul. And then, Woo Bin caught Ga Eul's hand for a more upbeat dance when the music changed, spinning her around the room, and dipping her at the end.


After everyone else left, Ga Eul and Jan Di bid each other goodbye, and Ji Hoo offered to take Ga Eul home, since he'd picked her up. Ji Hoo took her in the car. The motorcycle was, of course, reserved only for Jan Di.

Ji Hoo dropped Ga Eul off, walking her to her door for safety. He then handed her a small, square tiffany-blue box that was universally known by women to contain jewelry. Ga Eul gave Ji Hoo a wry smile, "Ohh, you shouldn't have, Ji Hoo Sunbae…"

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "I didn't. I'm just the delivery man. It's from Yi Jeong." Ga Eul nodded. She smiled and bowed to Ji Hoo, as she tucked the box away. She decided to open it on the phone with Yi Jeong.

Ji Hoo began to leave but suddenly turned back. "He really wanted to be there tonight, you know…"

"I know, Ji Hoo Sunbae... I understand completely," she put on a smile, "By the way, gomawo, for everything tonight."

Ji Hoo nodded.

"And also, gomawo, for going to see Yi Jeong Sunbae… It was very thoughtful…," she glanced away. Ga Eul had initially been a bit embarrassed that Ji Hoo had gone to Yi Jeong, but regardless she appreciated it. And she was immensely grateful for the part he played in reuniting her and Yi Jeong, if only for a day.

She would always treasure that memory of his visit. "And gomawo, Sunbae…for all you do, for supporting everyone…Yi Jeong Sunbae, me, and especially…for all you do for Jan Di...," Ga Eul smiled her further thanks.

Ji Hoo smiled faintly and nodded.

"You make Jan Di really happy, Sunbae…," Ga Eul continued, "I hope you know that…," she paused, wondering if she should say what she planned to next. "…I don't think I've ever seen Jan Di happier than when she is with you…" Even with Jun Pyo…

Ji Hoo glanced downward and then met Ga Eul's eyes once more.

It was odd, Ga Eul thought, and perhaps she was overstepping her bounds, but she wanted him to know... Ga Eul knew that her best friend was deeply in love with Jun Pyo, but Ji Hoo Sunbae had always been like Jan Di's angel… Ga Eul couldn't have hand-selected a more perfect guy for her best friend, and she knew that Jan Di possessed a strong love for him, too.

Ji Hoo gave Ga Eul an appreciative smile. "Thank you, Ga Eul-ssi."

"She's lucky to have you in her life… You're one of the good ones, Sunbae!" Ga Eul chuckled.

Ji Hoo smiled again, "And Yi Jeong is very lucky to have you, Ga Eul-ssi," he touched Ga Eul's arm lightly. Ga Eul smiled and bid Ji Hoo good night.


Once inside, Ga Eul sat down upon her bed and pulled out the small box. Then, she went for her phone to call Yi Jeong. Her phone… Where was it? Ga Eul searched for it, but it wasn't in any of its usual places… She thought back to where she could have left it, and she recalled…

She'd had to drop off some papers with Sang-Woo prior to the party, so she had dropped by his home. He'd briefly invited her in for tea, and out of politeness, she'd accepted. She must have left her phone there…

Ga Eul sighed, deciding to ask him for it tomorrow. She removed the card and opened it…


My dearest Ga Eul-yang,

Saengil chukhaeyo! I deeply regret that I am not there to share this joyous occasion with you, but I hope that you had a wonderful day and enjoyed your presents. I am picturing your lovely face right now as you open this… I can see it so clearly in my mind, but I miss seeing it in person…

I have been missing you a lot lately, Ga Eul-yang… So much so that it is difficult to concentrate at times, but I am determined to become a man you will be proud of. I want you to know, on this day—the day you were born—that had it not been for you, I would not be the man I am today… And when I think of what would have become of me had I not met you, it scares me…

There was a time when I thought I knew everything about women…what made them tick, what they wanted… But after meeting you, I realized how little I truly knew… And how different—special—you were from all the others I'd known… Gomawo, for showing me the error of my ways… And I want you to know how incredibly thankful I am that you were born…

This gift is not just a gift, but a promise… A promise that I, So Yi Jeong, will be faithful and love only you… Will you wear this, as my girlfriend, Ga Eul-yang?


Ga Eul's heart was doing somersaults now. She snapped open the box with an almost unbearable excitement. Her rosy lips parted, as she pulled out a beautiful necklace that shimmered brightly. It was an infinity knot, symbolizing a love, unbreakable an everlasting…

Ga Eul felt hot tears forming at the corners of her eyes, tears of happiness… She had never known such happiness, in fact… She immediately unclasped the necklace and put it around her neck, vowing to never take it off…


An hour later…

Yi Jeong was preparing to go to the exhibition. He had just put his suit on and was adjusting his tie in front of the mirror. It was 4PM Stockholm time now, so it would be 11PM in Seoul. He had wanted to call Ga Eul earlier to ask about the party but didn't have the chance. He hoped that she was still awake.

Yi Jeong dialed Ga Eul's number. As he heard the clicking sound of a party getting on the phone, the corners of his mouth twitched in anticipation of hearing her lovely voice. But the voice he heard was certainly not the one he awaited...


"Yoboseyo," a man answered.

Yi Jeong was completely flustered. "Who is this? Why do you have this phone?" he immediately questioned.

"Oh, I suppose you were trying to reach Chu Ga Eul-ssi…," the man said.

"Yes, why are you answering her phone?"

"Oh, well she left her phone at my place tonight. I haven't had the chance to return it."

Yi Jeong could practically hear the haughtiness in the man's voice. "Your place? Who the hell is this?" Yi Jeong demanded.

"Who I am is none of your concern… But I know who you are…So Yi Jeong," he spoke slowly, bitterly. "…F4's famous Casanova… I've seen you before… I know how you operate, how you think you're better than everyone…you and all of the F4. And I've wanted to say something to you for a long time… You're no good! And you should stay away from Chu Ga Eul! That beautiful, pure-hearted girl, she's too good for you! She deserves better! You'll only end up hurting her… You'll only end up making her cry…"

Yi Jeong's breathing had increased exponentially, and he opened his mouth to tell the , but the man continued speaking. "You just can't help yourself…can you? She may think you're a changed man, a good guy, but she's just being naïve, isn't she? People like you don't change their ways, do they So Yi Jeong? Just leave her to me. I know her better… And I know how to properly care for her…"

Yi Jeong was pacing around the room, struggling to keep control. "YOU stay the hell away from her!" Yi Jeong seethed. He suddenly felt the urge to break something. He knocked aside a lamp for catharsis.

And then the call was dropped. Yi Jeong tossed his phone carelessly aside and slammed his good fist upon the table. He slumped into his armchair and buried his hand in his hair. Feeling crazed, Yi Jeong picked up his phone off the floor and hit the speed dial for Ji Hoo.


Another Hour Later…

Yi Jeong had been unable to reach anyone back home, despite repeated attempts. It was driving him mad, but he was simply trying to convince himself that everything was fine and that there was some reasonable explanation. And it was after midnight in Seoul, after all, so it wasn't surprising that he'd been unable to reach anyone.

Yi Jeong sat silently with Elise in the back of a long, black stretch limo. She glanced over at him a few times, asking once if everything was alright. He'd simply said that he was fine and turned his gaze to outside of the window. She didn't ask anything further.

They arrived at the museum. Yi Jeong stepped out with Elise by his side. He was immaculately dressed and perfect on the outside, but on the inside, he was a complete mess.


Yi Jeong strolled around with the museum patrons, commenting on the various exhibits and chatting up all the important people. Then, he presented his own pieces. Elise stood by, arms folded, and looking on proudly.

The exhibition went well, as expected. But Yi Jeong had been restless all night. The conversation with the man who'd answered Ga Eul's phone was eating away at him, and he vowed to find out who the bastard was who was after his girl. He absolutely couldn't allow it! But here he was, thousands of kilometers away… He didn't want to suggest that he didn't trust her, but he needed to know that she was alright…

Yi Jeong took a glass of champagne offered to him by a mingling waiter. He'd been keeping his drinking to a minimum, for Ga Eul was not thrilled about that, and he also did not want to fall into an unhealthy pattern, as before…

Yi Jeong knew that he needed to remain calm and trust Ga Eul, but the man's words kept reverberating in his head...

"She's too good for you…"

"You'll hurt her…"

"You'll make her cry…"

"I know how to properly care for her…"

Yi Jeong polished off the glass, set it back on the tray, and took another. He downed it in one shot—the waiter simply stared blankly at him—and then he went for a third. And it wasn't long before he was quite tipsy.


Elise glanced over and noticed Yi Jeong slumping against the wall. She strode across the room and stood by his side—taller than him now, given his hunched posture and her 4-inch heels.

"Are you alright?" she whispered, glancing around to see if anyone had noticed Yi Jeong's behavior. He mumbled something incoherent, the strong scent of alcohol evident on his breath. Elise quickly grabbed him by the arm and pulled him along. She whisked him from the room and out to the well-lit courtyard.

"What the hell is wrong with you tonight?" she demanded, once she had him outside, "Why did you drink so much? You're being an embarrassment!"

Yi Jeong scoffed and began to walk off on her.

He hadn't drunk heavily since his depression over Eun Jae and his hand injury. Back then, he'd been floundering, but Chu Ga Eul had ripped him from the sinister grasp of his anguish. She had saved his life then, in a manner of speaking… She had shown him the light at the end of the tunnel… And she had given him a reason to go on and do his very best… After all, Ga Eul had said that Eun Jae taught her to give her all, so as never to have any regrets…

While Yi Jeong walked—or rather, stumbled—he stared down at his healing hand. And the garden surrounding him began to spin. Yi Jeong shut his eyes tight.

He just kept thinking of Ga Eul… He recalled her impassioned words, how she'd promised to make his hand move again... And he'd pledged to find a new way… He recalled how she'd killed herself trying to discover Eun Jae's message for him, so that he could know the truth and find peace… She'd given him that, and so much more… She'd given him true love.

What would she think of him now for being so weak? Perhaps the man was right… She did deserve far better than him... Even so, he was not willing to give her up…

Yi Jeong fumbled for his phone, searching all his pockets. He finally found it but couldn't seem to quite grasp hold of it.

"What are you doing?" Elise asked, approaching him. He ignored the question.

Yi Jeong gave up on the phone, groaning, and walked resolutely toward the parking lot. Elise jogged after him as best she could in the heels. She caught him by the crook of the arm.

"Kindly release me," he slurred.

"Where are you going?" she demanded. "The event isn't over."

"I need to take care of something back home…"

"Home? You mean, in South Korea?"

He nodded, and Elise's sky blue eyes went wide. "You can't just run off to South Korea! We have an early brunch with the investors," she informed him in her thick Swedish accent.

"I can do whatever I want," he stubbornly said.

She stood before him, placing her hand firmly against his chest, as if it would prevent him from moving forward.

"Please step aside," he said.

Elise sighed, "No. You're in no condition to take care of anything… Obviously it is you who needs taken care of! Whatever it is, it can surely wait…"

Her words seemed to light a fire within Yi Jeong. "What do you know?!" he shouted, nostrils flared.

Elise's lips parted in shock. It was the first time Elise had been privy to Yi Jeong's temper—he was usually so calm and collected—and she stood there, in stunned silence. Her hand was still resting on his chest, so he removed it for her, dropping it carelessly to her side.

But then, his face changed, and he began moving closer and closer to her...

"Wh-what—what are you doing, So Yi Jeong?!" she stammered. He continued his slow, silent approach, and she backed away, until she was pressed against the ivy-lined trellis of the garden. He glided even closer still, until his body was lightly brushing hers. He suddenly slammed his hand beside her against the trellis.

"You don't want me to leave…," he muttered, suggestively, "Perhaps I should prevent you from leaving…"

"How dare you…," she muttered, and Yi Jeong scoffed.

"What is wrong with you, Yi Jeong? This isn't like you… And I thought that—"

"What's wrong with me?" he smirked, "Nothing is wrong with me. I'm just being who I truly am… Apparently I can't help myself…"

And he gave Elise a look… The look he gave her was one that turned most women to putty, and Elise was no exception.

He was obviously inebriated and clearly very upset over something, but she forgot all about that in the moment. Yi Jeong brushed aside a golden strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear, his chocolate eyes holding her sky blue ones captive. And then he began to lean in... Elise's full lips parted, and her eyes fluttered shut in preparation…


A/N: Thoughts? Forgive me, everyone, for the evil cliffhanger… Don't hate me! ::begs for forgiveness again::

Teaser: Chapter Four: Will Yi Jeong give in to temptation in his depressed and inebriated state? Ga Eul's admirer tries to tear Ga Eul and Yi Jeong apart, and Elise's feelings for Yi Jeong grow stronger…