Offers and Announcements Part III

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Älskling: Darling
Sötis: Sweetie
Håll käften: Shut the 'f' up
Förlåt: I'm sorry

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to these characters. Also, as I am not from Sweden (and have never been there), the information in my stories is based entirely on research I've done, so please forgive any inaccuracies. And if you are from Sweden or know people there, please know that I don't mean any kind of disrespect toward the Swedish people, despite any negative qualities my Swedish characters might have. They are just the complications and/or antagonists at this point in the story, but that is not meant to say that all Swedish people are like this. And some of my Swedish characters may end up having some positive, even redeeming characteristics later on, too. Please keep in mind that this is a work of fiction. Love to any Swedish readers out there! I think I have one, haha, but I'm satisfied with that. Thank you; I've enjoyed researching your beautiful country and hope to visit someday!


Chapter Eleven: Offers and Announcements Part III

Again, Ga Eul questioned her motives for accepting a dance with the Swedish man. Perhaps she was being weak and immature, but she just couldn't deal with hearing Yi Jeong out right now, so she stalled…

The tall, Swedish man had one arm around her shoulders now and was leading her out to the dance floor. He smelled strongly of cologne, and she could feel the heat radiating from him. It was uncomfortable, being so close to another man… She'd come to feel so strongly for Yi Jeong that, without realizing it, the idea of being touched in any way by another man was not only unappealing but completely uncomfortable. Somehow, she felt like she was betraying Yi Jeong. But no, he was the one who betrayed her!

When they reached the middle of the floor, he released her and turned to face her. He held out his hand again, and she took it. He pulled her into position, and they began to dance to the music.

Ga Eul followed the man's movements mechanically, but her head wasn't in it at all; it was as if she was moving in a trance or dream, but nightmare was more like it… She felt like she was living out a nightmare where Elise was pregnant with Yi Jeong's child, and she was the naive cast-aside… But that was the reality, wasn't it? Or, maybe she'd misunderstood… She could only hope that was it, that because her English wasn't the best that she'd jumped to a conclusion. Still, the signs were clearly pointing that way...Elise getting sick in the bathroom, her telling Yi Jeong about the baby, and of course, his reaction…

"So, what is your name, Cinderella?" The Swedish man stirred her from her thoughts.

"What?"

He repeated the question.

"Oh. Chu Ga Eul. And you are?"

"Erik Karlsson."

Ga Eul gave a polite nod.

"What's wrong, Miss Ga Eul?" the man whispered against her ear as he pulled her closer. "Am I not a good dancer?"

He was too close, so Ga Eul pulled back, putting distance between them once more, and he just looked down at her while gripping the small bones of her hand tightly and holding her by the waist. His fingers were so cold; that was the most notable thing about Mr. Karlsson...

"So," he spoke as they continued to dance, "I am very good at knowing when something is bothering a person, and I have the strong sense that something is bothering you now. Is it that man you came with?"

Ga Eul was doing her best to keep up with his English. Hers had gotten better since entering university, so she was managing to understand most of it. "Yes," she blurted out, not knowing why she'd confessed that to him.

"Has he done something to you?"

"Not exactly," she responded, keeping her head low.

"He is your boyfriend?"

Ga Eul hesitated a few seconds before answering, "Yes."

"Well," the man lowered his voice to a chilling tone, "I believe there is something you should know about your boyfriend…"

Ga Eul felt her blood run cold, and she looked into the man's eyes. It was like staring into an algae-covered lake. What was he going to tell her? Was there more that she needed to know? No, no more; she couldn't take knowing anything more!

She and the man were still moving, but Ga Eul had practically gone stiff, so it was more like he was dragging her limp body around the floor.


Meanwhile, Yi Jeong sat fuming at the table. "He's dancing too close with her," he growled.

"Will you do something about it?" Ji Hoo asked the obvious question, but Yi Jeong didn't respond. Ji Hoo softly sighed and asked where Woo Bin was anyway.

"He's around," Yi Jeong answered this time while glowering at the man dancing with his girlfriend.

Ji Hoo continued to watch his friend closely; he took a few seconds to look out on the dance floor to where Ga Eul was dancing, and then he turned back to Yi Jeong. "What's going on with you two? Did you have a fight?" he asked.

"I don't know," was Yi Jeong's cryptic answer as he rested his cheek against his fist in dejection.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di looked at each other in mutual wonderment. That was usually something a person knows. Jan Di certainly knew when she was in a fight with Jun Pyo.

Having seen enough, Jan Di expressed her frustration in a gust of air. "I don't like this either," she exclaimed. "I don't like that guy at all! He gives me the creeps… You should rescue her, Yi Jeong Sunbae!"

Yi Jeong nodded to himself, yet he just kept staring sullenly down at the white tablecloth.

"What's the matter with you, Sunbae? What are you waiting for? Where are those legendary skills you claim to have with women now? Go cut in!" Jan Di urged the former Casanova.

The potter simply sighed, ignoring Jan Di's rant as he recalled the few moments prior to this happening. Ga Eul had seemed upset with him about something…and then she just went off and danced with that bastard Karlsson like it was nothing! The mental reminder of who she was dancing with suddenly snapped Yi Jeong to attention again.

In that moment, Woo Bin returned to the table. All three looked up at him, and he seemed to exchange some kind of look with Yi Jeong. The two best friends always seemed to understand each other so well, despite having very different personalities. They seemed to have an unspoken connection as did Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo. Within F4, it had always been Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong and Woo Bin who were closest.


Out on the dance floor, Mr. Karlsson went on to explain his statement. "Your boyfriend...he is trying to take over the museum here."

Ga Eul jerked back. "Excuse me?"

"Mr. Andersson is retiring," he went on to say, "and I know that he has offered your boyfriend his position. He's considering it, but...I really don't understand." Karlsson's brow furrowed. "It would be better for someone like me who knows the museum well and actually lives here. If your boyfriend takes the position that would mean that he would need to live here permanently… Are you planning a move here, Miss?"

Ga Eul felt as if her body had gone entirely numb. "I...I…"

"Surely, he must have talked to his girlfriend about this. It's such a big decision."

"Um...I...he…" Ga Eul couldn't seem to form even a simple sentence. Yi Jeong hadn't mentioned it to her at all, but then...she did recall that he'd asked her before if she had an interest in taking photography classes in Sweden...was he hinting at it then?

But even if he was, and even if she would consider it, circumstances had changed. Everything was different now… If it was true that Elise was pregnant with Yi Jeong's baby-she was still having a hard time believing it-then what was to become of their relationship? Could she forgive him? Did he even still want to be with her? Maybe he was in love with...her now… All these thoughts were running through Ga Eul's head in a loop.

It didn't escape Mr. Karlsson that Ga Eul's entire body had begun to tremble. "Miss, are you alright? Don't tell me...he didn't say anything to you about it? Is this really your first time hearing this?"

"...Y-yes…," she stammered, thinking that might be the least of her worries now.

The man clicked his tongue in disapproval. "I don't understand it myself. Not that he isn't a talented potter, but he knows nothing of our museum and the inner workings, and his home is elsewhere...and he has you, of course, Miss. So, why would he want to work here permanently?"

He kept pounding the word permanently in, and Ga Eul couldn't stand it. She wished the man would just stop talking. It was too much to take right now, and she wanted to tell him so, but she was far too polite. "I...I don't know…," she managed to mutter as she tried to pull herself together. "Why are you telling me this?" she finally asked, after regaining some ability of speech.

"Because I believed you needed to know. But I am sorry to have upset you." He looked down at her. "If it bothers you so, you should talk with your boyfriend about it. After all, I suspect you are the type of girl who values home, family, and friends… I'm sure you don't want to leave home, and you don't want to part with him, right?"

"...N-no." Ga Eul was just trying to will herself not to cry.

"Then speak with him. Convince him not to do it."

Thinning her lips, Ga Eul regained her composure and stared up at Mr. Karlsson with cold, dark eyes. "How can I do that?"

He grinned down at her before giving her a little twirl. "A woman has a way of convincing a man…," he said, as he tightened his hold on her waist. Leaning in closer, he whispered, "I'm on your side, sötis."


"That's it!" Yi Jeong exclaimed as he rose from his seat.

Ji Hoo, Woo Bin, and Jan Di watched him head out onto the dance floor to break up Ga Eul and Karlsson, but as he passed Mr. Andersson's table, the older Swedish man stopped him with a touch to the arm. "Yi Jeong, the exhibition," he reminded.

Oh, right. Yi Jeong checked his watch. "Sir, I know it's almost time, but if I could just have a moment-"

"I need to speak with you first," the older man said, as he stood up.

Yi Jeong opened his mouth to protest but then shut it again. He felt so unsettled inside. He needed to go to Ga Eul, but Mr. Andersson's words didn't sound like a request. Still, he didn't give a damn! He was growing so tired of this! All of a sudden, he felt like Jun Pyo, bending to the will of his mother. But this man had no control over him. It wasn't like they were family!

As he, again, prepared to deny Andersson, he noticed Woo Bin walking casually onto the dance floor. They exchanged a look, and Woo Bin gave Yi Jeong a small, reassuring smile as if to promise him he'd take care of it. F4's Don Juan then waltzed over to Ga Eul and Karlsson and asked to cut in.

Yi Jeong watched Karlsson walk off the dance floor, and then his best friend took the hand of his girlfriend and began leading her in a waltz. Feeling better that Ga Eul was now dancing with Woo Bin rather than Karlsson, Yi Jeong shot one last look at Ga Eul before following Mr. Andersson back toward the stage.


Ga Eul looked up at her new dance partner; she felt infinitely more comfortable with Woo Bin, but that did nothing to ease the pain in her heart. "Woo Bin Sunbae, why did you ask me to dance?" she questioned rather coldly.

Woo Bin simply gave her that trademark charming smile of his. It didn't melt her heart the way Yi Jeong's beautiful dimpled grin did, but it usually put a smile on her face. Not tonight, though...

"Why not, Ga Eul-ah? Maybe I wanted to dance with the prettiest girl here…"

Ga Eul pressed her lips together. "I'm not the prettiest by far..."

"Okay, tied for prettiest with Jan Di. I have to say it's a tie, anyway, since Jun Pyo is also my friend." He winked at her.

Ga Eul couldn't seem to crack a smile, though. "What about Miss Elise?"

"Oh, her? Well, she's a different kind of pretty, but just like my good friend Yi Jeong, I prefer a softer, more delicate beauty such as you."

"Don't flirt with me, Sunbae. I'm not in the mood," was Ga Eul's sharp reply, and it clearly shocked Woo Bin. Feeling a bit bad, Ga Eul lowered her head, but she continued, "Besides, I know you're lying about that…"

The next words out of the Don Juan's mouth were, "Ga Eul-ah, what's wrong?"

It wasn't surprising to Ga Eul. Woo Bin Sunbae paid attention more than most, and she noticed that he seemed to have something of a sixth sense when it came to human emotions. He could read people, just as Mr. Karlsson said he could.


Meanwhile, Mr. Andersson led Yi Jeong up the stairs to the stage; he tugged aside an edge of the heavy red velvet curtain and ushered him backstage. The sight he was met with was enough to freeze Yi Jeong in his tracks. "Yi Jeong, it's been a long time," came the familiar voice he hadn't heard in quite some time.

It was taking Yi Jeong a moment to find his tongue, during which, all he could do was stare at the older man before him. "...Harabeoji," he finally managed to utter.

The Swedish man held out his hand to present Yi Jeong's own grandfather as if he was some mystery grand prize, and Yi Jeong took a good look at him. The gray-haired, distinguished gentleman looked as if time had stilled since his grandson last saw him, and briefly, Yi Jeong wondered if it had. In fact, he appeared not a day older than Yi Jeong remembered him as a boy, standing there with the same commanding presence, the same somber face. And if anyone were capable of buying his own immortality, So Yoon He would be the one powerful enough to do so.

What was this all about? Why was he here? And Yi Jeong blurted the latter question out.

"Is that any way to greet an elder and your own grandfather, boy?" the old man snapped at him. Yi Jeong flinched as if he was once again six and being scolded for playing hide-n-seek in his grandfather's studio.

"Mianhae, Harabeoji." Yi Jeong bowed. "You are well?"

Master So gave a small grunt of affirmation, and rather than asking Yi Jeong how he was in return, the older man approached him and gave him a thorough look up and down. "To answer your question, I'm here for the benefit, of course."

Yi Jeong nodded, though he understood nothing. His grandfather was a busy, powerful man, who didn't like wasting his time. He couldn't even be bothered to come to his sixth birthday party, as Yi Jeong recalled. So, needless to say, for him to travel to a foreign country in person, there had to be a very good reason.

"Your grandfather and I are old friends," Mr. Andersson spoke up, and he walked over to stand closer to the shorter yet equally dignified and stylish man.

This came as a surprise to Yi Jeong. Neither had ever mentioned their friendship, though it wasn't like he was close to his grandfather.

"Well, now that you two have been reunited, should we discuss business?" the Swedish man asked.

"Business? What's going on?" Yi Jeong looked to his grandfather.

Master So got straight to the point. "It is my desire to expand the Woo-Song Museum internationally."

Right away, Yi Jeong's brow wrinkled up in confusion, but he waited for further explanation.

"Mr. Andersson and I have discussed opening an exhibit here at the museum in Stockholm to display various pieces of Korean heritage as well as your pottery. Based upon the response to the exhibit, we will keep it open for perhaps 6 months to one year."

"Harabeoji, are you sure that's wise?" It escaped Yi Jeong's lips before he even realized it, but he just couldn't see most of their pieces doing well in this part of the world.

"Talking back to an elder, boy? You should have more respect than that," his harabeoji spoke in a cool but cautionary tone.

Respect. That was a word that didn't even come close to describing how Yi Jeong felt about a single member of his family. There was his mother, who was a basket case and his father, who was an alcoholic womanizer; there was his brother, who was better than the rest, yet he had thrown a childish fit when he realized he didn't have exceptional talent for pottery and was now with the girl he once loved, but he couldn't really blame him for that. Then, there was his grandmother, who stood by and let everything happen around her without ever speaking up, and finally, his grandfather was...well, exactly the man before him now. Master So exuded confidence, decorum, talent, and of course, wealth. The man was a skilled potter and businessman, the typical chaebol in every aspect.

No, Yi Jeong had never really respected his family, not deep-down, but he did care for them. And perhaps he was being unfair, for everyone had their problems. He could attest to that because he was really no better than the rest of them, but ever since Chu Ga Eul came into his life, he'd developed the desire to be a better man. Even though she seemed to love him for who he was, he wanted more than that; he wanted to be the kind of man she could be proud of.

Slowly, he felt like he was becoming that man, and it was because of her. And whenever he came to a crossroads, a temptation, a difficult decision, or whenever he felt himself slip, he thought of her and what she would have to say about it, and that always helped him to decide the best course of action. There was just something about Chu Ga Eul that pushed a man to go beyond his normal limitations...

Returning to the present moment, Yi Jeong lowered his head and apologized to his grandfather, and the older man continued without missing a beat. "After that, we will continue with a traveling exhibition throughout Scandinavia and parts of western Europe. I'd like for you to manage that project. Accommodations would, of course, be made to allow you to continue your studies."

"But the costs to do so…," Yi Jeong interjected, thinking more of the time involvement on his part. Although, the financial aspect seemed like a better excuse than the time factor, for he knew his grandfather didn't like to throw it around.

"Will be far exceeded by the benefits," Master So finished for him. "It's not always about financial gain, Yi Jeong."

That was a bit unexpected.

"I'm thinking of exposure. I want to promote a worldwide appreciation of our museum and our heritage. Don't forget that I know a great deal more about this business than you, my boy. You have a lot to learn."

Without a doubt, his grandfather had thought this through and planned it meticulously, but as was his way, he didn't seem to be planning on letting others in the loop, not even his grandson. His harabeoji tended to present information on a need-to-know basis, giving only enough to the parties involved to actually get the job done.

In actuality, Yi Jeong could tolerate the European touring exhibition, but he wasn't sure how long that would take, and he wasn't thrilled about the idea of being away from Ga Eul for even longer. But maybe he could ask her to join him… 'Ga Eul-yang, how would you like a European vacation?' he could ask. That was a dream come true for most women, wasn't it? But Ga Eul wasn't exactly like most women…

"I'm also aware that Mr. Andersson has offered you his position here," Master So added. "I know that you turned his offer down, but I think you should reconsider." He seemed insistent.

What?

And Yi Jeong was floored. What possible reason could his grandfather have for saying he should take the Director position here? He glanced away from his grandfather and over at Mr. Andersson, who stood tall with hands properly folded in front of him.

Then Mr. Andersson turned slightly toward Yi Jeong. "Here is my proposal. I will begin to give you more responsibilities here at the museum immediately, and I will train you for my position. Don't worry, I'll ensure that you have the best assistant and team behind you and that it doesn't interfere with your studies. Then, in due time, you will take over for me as Director and manage everything while I advise as needed."

It seemed like a huge commitment. Who knew when he would be able to return to Korea at this rate?

"I will pay you well for doing me this favor, naturally," Mr. Andersson inserted.

Favor…

That reminded him of Elise and her plight. She'd actually begged him to accept this position in order to prevent Karlsson from getting it. But then he thought of Ga Eul… Although he cared about Elise as a friend, the woman he loved was far more important. And he couldn't stand the thought of being away from her indefinitely. Four years was long enough.

Still, he did want to help Elise. Perhaps he'd gone soft, and it was likely Ga Eul's influence… She would want him to help out someone in need, wouldn't she? But surely, there was some other way to help Elise. What would Ga Eul do in his shoes? "Sir, it's an incredible offer, but again…"

Mr. Andersson seemed to read his mind at that moment. "I understand your hesitation, of course. I assume that you must be eager to someday return to your homeland, Mr. So, and as a man who loves his country very much, I can appreciate this. But if you're worried about the long term, don't be."

Mr. Andersson began to cough, and Yi Jeong focused in on him.

Andersson cleared his throat and continued, "My compromise is this: After completing your studies and being trained, you will take over for me as Director for a period of one year. When that time has passed you may begin to search for a replacement. After selecting a suitable candidate, whom I approve of, and training him, you are free to move on to wherever you'd like. If, in the meantime, you choose to stay, then so be it."

Master So suddenly stepped in. "Of course the boy will return to Korea, Isak, my friend. He will need to run our museum when I pass. I'm not going to live forever, after all." Andersson mirrored that sentiment, and the two old friends shared a laugh. It was a very strange moment, the two arguing over him and then chuckling about their mortality. And Yi Jeong suddenly felt like a child having his future decided all at once.

But he had always expected this to come up. Even though his grandfather was technically retired, he hadn't really stopped managing the museum, but as the old man had pointed out with such levity, he wasn't going to live forever. And since his father cared so little about the family business, Yi Jeong assumed that he would one day be offered his grandfather's position.

So, as a child was expected to do, he kept his mouth shut and listened to what was being decided for him. The next thing his grandfather said, however, completely unhinged him…

"Besides that, he will one day wed in Korea."

Wed? The concept shouldn't be so shocking to him, nevertheless, in the moment Yi Jeong's heart froze.

This was like a nightmare. Suddenly the next five to ten years of his life had been mapped out for him, and to top it off, his grandfather was now talking marriage. But it wasn't really surprising, or at least it shouldn't be. After all, his grandfather had forced the marriage between his mother and father, even though his father loved someone else… Was that to be his fate, as well?

F4, aside from Ji Hoo, had long ago accepted that they would one day be married off to 'perfect' mates, but Jun Pyo had broken the mold. He had openly defied his mother, denying his name and everything, all for the sake of love. And he'd succeeded, at least so far. Jun Pyo and Jan Di's love had weathered the storm, and they'd seemingly beaten the tremendous odds against them. That was why, Yi Jeong realized, Ji Hoo's lingering feelings for Jan Di bothered him so much-because Jun Pyo had fought so hard to be with Jan Di.

Yi Jeong knew that he was not the master of his own fate, and he was strangely okay with that, or at least he had been until Chu Ga Eul came along… She and Jun Pyo had dared him to dream of something more-a life of choices, happiness, and true love… As Ga Eul had pointed out, how could someone accept having his future decided for him without a care? That was what had happened to his father, and look at him now... He had been reduced to a man who cared for nothing and no one. Yi Jeong didn't want to turn out that way.

This was what bothered him more than anything about his grandfather, that he'd forced his father to marry his mother. It was an ironic thing to have a problem with because if not for that he never would've been born, but his father didn't love his mother. That seemed like it would be a truly miserable life...

And it was.

Yi Jeong honestly wasn't sure who the real victim had been, his mother or his father-his mother, for blindly loving a man who didn't love her and suffering through his apathy and infidelity, or his father, for giving up on happiness and enduring a marriage that was all a lie.

Thinking about it, he suddenly felt so helpless, as Jun Pyo must have. And Yi Jeong paused to think of his old friend…

Yi Jeong hoped he would have the courage to do what Jun Pyo did. Would his and Ga Eul's love be as strong as Jun Pyo and Jan Di's, able to overcome any obstacle? They might be tested sooner than he thought…

However, Yi Jeong didn't liken his grandfather to Madam Kang. Harabeoji was decisive and at times unyielding, but he had never stooped to such deplorable levels as to manipulate his father or torture the woman he loved. As far as Yi Jeong knew, Hyun Sub simply went along with the whole thing, and he wondered if his father had said something, would it have changed the outcome? Furthermore, if he, himself, spoke candidly with his grandfather, would he accept Ga Eul?

"What is your decision, Yi Jeong?" Mr. Andersson's deep voice stirred him from his thoughts.

. . .


Back in the ballroom, Ga Eul had finished her dance with Woo Bin and returned to her seat at the table with Jan Di and Ji Hoo. She recalled moments ago…

On the dance floor, Woo Bin had asked her what was wrong, and she'd shirked his question, simply saying that her stomach was a bit unsettled, probably because she wasn't used to the food here. She could tell that he didn't quite buy it, but he didn't pressure her further.

Having finally worked up the courage to have the discussion she needed to have, Ga Eul glanced around the room, looking for Yi Jeong. She wondered where he'd gone, and she considered going to look for him, but then her attention was directed to the stage. When a man took the stage and introduced a pair of dancers, Ga Eul focused on them. They were a nice-looking pair; the man was dressed in a suit and tails, and the woman was dressed in a royal blue ballroom dance dress with sequins and rhinestones sprinkled across the bodice in a cascading pattern.

Then the music started: Lanner's The Romantics Waltz, op. 167, and the couple began to dance. Ga Eul watched their movements from across the room in astonishment. They were perfectly in sync, and she could tell that their level of trust in each other was high, especially when the woman would twirl into his arms and he'd pick her up and spin her around. It must be nice to trust someone so completely that you would literally put yourself in their hands without fear, she thought. And she realized that she needed to work on that. That was the kind of partnership she wished to have with Yi Jeong, if only they could get through this. She wasn't really sure what was going to happen now...

As Ga Eul watched the pair gracefully spin round and round the dance floor, she found herself focusing on the woman's skirt, which was twirling so fast she could barely see it, and she couldn't help but feel that the movement matched the thoughts swirling around in her head. Suddenly, she felt dizzy-it wasn't from watching the dancers-and she would continue to feel this way until she and Yi Jeong solved this. They just had to. So, she wouldn't be afraid; she would be strong. She would speak to him directly and give him a chance to explain, the very next opportunity she got…


Elise had gone off looking for Yi Jeong or her father, either one would do. She was feeling restless about the announcement at midnight, so she wanted to talk to one of them and get a straight answer about what was going to happen. But when she stepped out of the ballroom and into the hallway, she came face to face with Erik. Right away, she felt sick, and she wasn't quite sure whether it was morning sickness or just the sight of him.

Erik approached her with that usual callous grin of his, and she averted her eyes. How could this man be the father of her unborn child? How could she have ever been with such a man? How could she have let this happen? She never should've gone to him…

Karlsson stood before her, and the wave of nausea rose up… Elise's face grew paler than usual, and she suddenly dry heaved.

Rather than being concerned, Erik seemed amused by this. "What's the matter? Do I make you nauseated, Älskling?"

"Don't call me that," she said, straightening up, "and yes, you do."

With a smirk, Erik grabbed her around the waist and pulled her close. "I didn't make you so sick that night…," he whispered in her ear.

She shoved him away, but he held on. "You absolutely did."

He tightened his mouth for a second or two but then grinned. "I think you just don't want to admit that you enjoyed it."

Elise scoffed, managing to pull herself free this time. "You're really something! You know, your looks may be good, but your personality is completely disgusting. I guess to someone like you no means yes."

Erik fought the urge to slap the insolent woman, but instead, one side of his mouth curled up. "When did you become such a prude, Elise?"

"I'm not a prude. I simply prefer that lovemaking be consensual and with someone who actually cares about me. That doesn't include you, and given the choice, I'd sleep with just about anyone over you."

He gripped her shoulders hard, his expression twisting; she could see the fury growing on his face, and it gave her a sense of satisfaction. "In fact," she continued with her delicious catharsis, "I already found someone who is completely different and much better than you, someone who truly cares about me." She finished with a smug look.

That did it. He was pissed off now.

"Who?!" Erik raised his voice.

Elise glanced away as she realized she'd said too much. She truly hoped Yi Jeong wouldn't get mixed up with Erik.

"That Korean guy?" Erik chuckled. "He doesn't care about you. He already has someone."

Elise avoided eye contact. Perhaps it was her hormones, but his words got to her.

And then, to Elise's surprise, he laughed. "You spoiled little princess. What do you plan to do, break them up?" He scoffed. "You never were able to accept when you couldn't have something."

"You either," she said, looking at him this time.

Karlsson chuckled softly. "That's why I have so much now."

"Well, you'll never have me," she said with derision, adding, "or the museum," for extra punch, considering he surely cared more about that.

Karlsson paused and got eerily quiet, his eyes taking on that quality like a calm before a storm, and she, honestly, wasn't sure what he would do. He might simply make a sarcastic comment, or he might lose his temper completely. After all, Erik Karlsson was volatile, like a volcano. He could slowly bubble for years and years and finally erupt with disastrous results… But unlike other natural disasters, he didn't always give a warning…

"We'll see about that," he simply said, as if it was a challenge. He finally released her shoulders and walked off.

As she watched her ex walk away, down the hallway, Elise heaved a sigh. She took a minute or two to compose herself before returning to the ballroom. And she walked in just in time to see the beginning of the auction.


Yi Jeong and his grandfather had taken the stage, and a woman in a silver dress was now bringing out an intricate vase. It was one he had created especially for this benefit, and with pride, he began to explain its unique design and how it was one of a line of pottery that was meant to merge Korean and Swedish culture.

From their seats, Jan Di, Ji Hoo, Ga Eul, and Woo Bin watched the auction.

Ji Hoo's eyes wandered the stage. "Isn't that...Master So?"

"Master So? You mean, Yi Jeong Sunbae's harabeoji?" Jan Di asked.

"Yes, that's him," Woo Bin responded to the both of them.

"What in the world is he doing here?" Ji Hoo asked.

"You got me." Woo Bin shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Turning to F2, Jan Di asked, "What's Yi Jeong's harabeoji like?"

"Well…," Ji Hoo began. "How do I put this? You know Madam Kang…"

Jan Di let out a small groan. "Y-ess…"

"Well, he's just as elite as her, just as pretentious…"

So, it's safe to assume he won't like me or Ga Eul, Jan Di thought. I hope he doesn't cause problems in Ga Eul and Yi Jeong Sunbae's relationship.

Woo Bin continued Ji Hoo's description from there. "He's not quite as manipulative as her, and he doesn't blow up like she does. When he's angry, he just gives you this look that makes you want to wet your pants."

Ji Hoo smirked over at Woo Bin.

"I assume you guys have childhood stories about him, too," Jan Di said.

"Some, but he wasn't around a lot," Ji Hoo replied. "I mainly remember that one time…"

"Ohhh, yeah, yeah...when we were six and got caught playing hide-n-seek in his studio!" Woo Bin joined in.

"What? Did he send the swat team? Maybe throw you all in a juvenile detention center for the night?" Jan Di quipped.

Ji Hoo chuckled.

"No, something much worse...," Woo Bin spoke in a low tone.

"What was it?" Jan Di asked, leaning in slightly, very curious to know what horrible thing Master So did to the young F4.

"Well, he gave us that 'look' I was telling you about, and then...he made us do 100 duck walks up and down the studio while holding a ceramic tea kettle in each hand without dropping them! And if we dropped one, we had to start over."

"Wow." Jan Di couldn't even picture F4 doing such a thing. "I wouldn't say that is worse, though…"

"Oh, but it was awful, Jan Di-ah!" Woo Bin exclaimed.

And Ji Hoo nodded. "Master So is very 'old school,' you might say."

"Yea, he lectured us the whole time, too, and if we whined or complained he told us to be 'men' and accept our punishment and that we were getting off easy!" Woo Bin imitated Master So's voice and shook his finger at Jan Di. "In my day, I got paddled until I couldn't sit for a week for misbehaving! You boys are soft. You need to toughen up. You won't just be handed everything in life, even if you were born into wealth. You have to prove your worth, and if you can't complete this one simple task then you're not fit to be heirs!-He said."

Jan Di pressed her lips together. She was not unfamiliar with physical punishments in school or at home, but she was astonished that spoiled rich kids like F4 had ever received such a punishment. She could empathize with them, but she also felt a strange sense of justice that the F4 were properly disciplined at least once. And even though she wasn't a fan of chaebol parents, she had to admit that she liked Harabeoji So's attitude about working for what you get in life, even if you're rich. "That's rough, Sunbae," Jan Di commented, trying to show her support anyway.

"Ah well, not like that was the worst punishment I ever received," Woo Bin remarked, his expression turning serious, and Jan Di suddenly felt a bit bad. But Song Woo Bin was resilient, and he instantly got cheerful again. "That just helped give me the great legs I have!" and the Don Juan tossed Jan Di a playful smirk.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di looked at one another and shook their heads. And then Jan Di glanced in Ga Eul's direction. Her friend had been very quiet and was now staring off toward the stage, seemingly in space rather than present in the room.

"I do wonder what purpose Master So has here, though," Woo Bin mused, more to himself. "But...I suspect that if he's here then something big is up..." The Mafia Prince also looked over at a clearly preoccupied Ga Eul. "Gwaenchanha?" he asked. When she didn't respond, he said her name.

"Hm?"

"Are you alright, Ga Eul-ah?" Woo Bin asked again.

They all focused on her this time, and Ga Eul noticed the concern in the eyes of her three friends, particularly Jan Di's. She smiled a bit in appreciation and did her best to join the conversation. "Yes, I'm fine. So...that's Yi Jeong Sunbae's grandfather?"

"Yes," Woo Bin reiterated, wondering if Ga Eul had heard much of anything they'd said in the last two minutes.

"Did Yi Jeong Sunbae know he was coming?" Ga Eul asked.

"I don't think so. He didn't mention it, anyway," Woo Bin replied.

Ga Eul squeezed her hands together in her lap, growing more and more uneasy. This night had been strange and upsetting, and she just couldn't wait for it to end, but the minutes seemed to be ticking away slower than she'd ever seen time pass.

When she glanced at the antique clock on the wall, the time was 11:30 PM. She could've sworn it was later than that, and she felt like she was in some nightmarish parallel dimension with elegant music, party dresses, and fancy food. Oh, why couldn't it just get to midnight already so this announcement could be made, whatever it was, and she could leave?

She was eager yet nervous to talk to Yi Jeong, and she thought that perhaps they could clear it all up on the car ride home. But...she wasn't quite sure what she was going to say, or how she was even going to bring it up...

For the time being, Ga Eul tried to be in the moment. She returned her gaze to the stage and noticed that Elise Andersson was now up there standing beside Yi Jeong. They were showing off a piece of pottery that the two of them had made-did she hear right-together…

Ga Eul's eyes settled on the vase that was being presented. It was amazing. It looked like two conjoined pots hugging each other, and she had no idea how they'd accomplished it. They were currently describing all the intricate details that went into it, but Ga Eul couldn't help focusing on the two of them standing so close, each with a hand on their co-masterpiece, and even more so, on what she'd overheard earlier…

Yi Jeong had said it was the merging of Swedish and Korean culture...and that only made her think of he and Elise...together…

I'm sure their child will be beautiful and perfect, just like their vase, she thought bitterly. No! I need to get a grip! I shouldn't assume anything until I talk to him...

The auction continued, but it was all white noise to Ga Eul. She was far too preoccupied with her inner thoughts and with preparing what she would say to Yi Jeong when she was finally able to speak to him. Just as she decided to go for a glass of water and to stretch her legs, she heard the large 18th-century Gustavian wall clock strike the hour. Midnight. And as if this was the actual Cinderella tale, Mr. Andersson began to make his announcement, right on time.

What was going to happen now?

Mr. Andersson, that man from earlier-Mr. Karlsson-Elise, Yi Jeong, and Master So were all onstage now, and Mr. Andersson held a microphone and was speaking to the crowd. Ga Eul only caught part of the translation of Mr. Andersson's thank yous and his speech about how much money the museum had brought in tonight. After that, the Swedish tycoon presented his old friend-Yi Jeong's grandfather-and then he presented Mr. Karlsson, Yi Jeong, and his daughter, Elise. Mr. Andersson continued to speak, though his breathing seemed a bit labored.

Currently, Andersson was expressing his sincere regrets that he would soon be retiring, and finally, he came to his announcement, that he would be naming his successor tonight. "Two fine young men stand here with me today," he began, "both with great talent and love for our Swedish culture…"

Mr. Karlsson stood on one side of the older Swedish man, wearing a smug look on his face, and Yi Jeong stood on the other, his hands clasped before him and looking to Ga Eul in the crowd. A rather nervous Elise was beside Yi Jeong, glancing sporadically between him and the audience, and next to her was Master So-calm, silent and distinguished.

Mr. Andersson continued to address the room. "First of all, regrettably, our curator of 35 years is retiring this year. Mr. Lindgren will be sorely missed, but we must endure without him." The older Swedish man stopped for a moment to catch his breath, and then he turned to the younger Swede at his side. "Erik Karlsson is a fine patron of the arts and a talented businessman. Although he was away for a period of time, he has returned, and we welcome him back to our fair city and to this museum with open arms. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a man who knows our museum and the arts well. In fact, he's been around it since he was a child. And that is why I can think of no better choice for the position of Curator than Mr. Erik Karlsson."

Karlsson's face said it all. He was stunned and displeased, furious even, with the offer, but he put on a smile and shook the hand of the older man.

Mr. Andersson coughed into his sleeve, excused himself, and then turned to Yi Jeong. "This man here," he placed a hand on Yi Jeong' shoulder. "...is a very fine young artist. He has great talent and business savvy, and even though he does not hail from here, I assure you that he loves this land like his own. Thus, after a great deal of thought, I have decided that the one who will replace me as Director is none other than Mr. Yi Jeong So."

Scattered, incredulous voices were heard within the crowd, and then everyone clapped, all but those sitting at Ga Eul's table and Mr. Karlsson, who quickly excused himself.

Ga Eul's mouth dropped open upon hearing the announcement. She couldn't believe what she'd heard...had she heard wrong? It was repeated a second time in English, and she was sure of it. Blinking a few times, she glanced over at Woo Bin and Ji Hoo, just for confirmation; they seemed equally shocked, and that only reinforced her fear.

"Did I misunderstand that?" Ji Hoo turned to Woo Bin, not wanting to say it out loud in front of the girls, especially if he was wrong.

"No, you didn't." Woo Bin tightened his jaw.

"Did you know about this?" Ji Hoo asked his friend.

Woo Bin shook his head, and Jan Di was looking to Ji Hoo for an explanation.

It was then that Ga Eul spoke up, her voice shaky. "Did he…really name Yi Jeong Sunbae as his successor to the museum?"

The other three at the table all looked at Ga Eul. Ji Hoo sighed and sullenly admitted it. "Yes, he did."

Ga Eul's eyes darted back and forth and then fell to the table. She stared hard at the white linen cloth. So, Mr. Karlsson was right…

And poof, Ga Eul's carriage became a pumpkin, and everything fell apart...

"What?!" Jan Di exclaimed, inadvertently pounding her fist on the table. "You mean, Yi Jeong is going to run the museum here? Then that means he'll be sta…" She didn't finish her sentence and instead looked to Ga Eul to gauge her reaction.

"Ga Eul-ah...," Jan Di said her name delicately.

But Ga Eul couldn't take it for another second. She stood and turned to leave, despite protests from her friends. Walking very quickly, the shaken woman headed toward the back double doors because even though the front doors were closer, she didn't want to pass near the stage.

Yet again, she found herself in the Hall of Mirrors, where she caught sight of her reflection in one of the reflective doors. She had a miserable look on her face and tears in her eyes; basically, she was a mess, and she took off running.

She had wanted to believe in him; she'd wanted so desperately to discover that she was wrong about Elise and the baby, but what other explanation could there possibly be? Yi Jeong was staying in Sweden… He was going to live and work here, probably permanently because he would also be...raising a child here…

And there was absolutely no place for her in that life.

Tears streaming down her face, Ga Eul ran through the hallway as if her life depended on it for the second time tonight, and she wished she could just run all the way home, crawl into bed, and hide under the blankets forever...


Meanwhile, Yi Jeong had noticed Ga Eul rushing out, and he immediately excused himself. He headed down the stairs and ran out the side doors nearest the stage. He caught sight of the back of her dress as she ran down the hallway, and he shouted her name, but she didn't stop. So, he took off after her.


After Yi Jeong left, Mr. Andersson thanked everyone and bid them good night. Then the large crowd began to filter through the doorways...


Babo! Yi Jeong mentally berated himself as he sprinted down the hallway, which was quickly filling with people. I should have told her everything right away!

He was going to fill her in on the latest development, but there was no time. And he hadn't planned on accepting the position at all, but after Elise's news and Harabeoji's unexpected appearance, it had shaken him. He'd temporarily agreed to it...just to appease them until he could figure out what the best course of action would be. It was shocking, naturally, though he hadn't expected Ga Eul to run out… But of course, she would be upset about him taking this job. She must think he was never coming back…

Forgive me, Ga Eul-yang! I will return! I'll come back to you; I promise! He thought these words so fervently, wishing she could hear them.

Yi Jeong was still trying to catch up to his runaway girlfriend, but the crowd had blocked his path, slowing him down to nearly a halt. Frantically, he pushed himself past benefit patrons with only a cursory 'excuse me,' and he looked for Ga Eul, but he could no longer see her over the taller Swedes.

"Ga Eul-yang! Ga Eul-yang!" he shouted at the top of the lungs through the crowd, hoping she would hear him and stop and wait, and he continued in the direction he'd seen her go.


Jan Di was furious when she heard Yi Jeong was staying in Stockholm to run the museum. She couldn't believe he would do this! And just when she was beginning to think he was good for Ga Eul! She had also left the ballroom, following after Ga Eul when she ran out.

Ji Hoo had called out to her, asking her to wait, but she hadn't listened, so he went in pursuit of her. And Woo Bin was not far behind the rest of them.

Having gotten a bit of a headstart, Jan Di could see Ga Eul's dark hair not far ahead of her. She shouted her name, but she was at a full run, and now people were beginning to get in between them. Jan Di was being pushed around a lot, but she didn't care. She managed to slip past a few people, but then she felt someone catch her by the crook of the arm. She gasped as she was pulled off to the side and out of the path of the herd.

The force combined with her adrenaline caused her to spin around and nearly slam into Ji Hoo's chest. "Sunbae!" she exclaimed upon seeing his face.

"Jan Di."

"Let me go, Sunbae," she demanded. "I have to go after Ga Eul." She attempted to leave, but he held onto her.

"Jan Di, wait. Let Yi Jeong talk to her."

"NO! He doesn't deserve to talk to her!" Jan Di's eyes suddenly misted over from both fury and sadness. "How could he do it, Sunbae? How could he lead Ga Eul on and then decide to take a job in Sweden?" She clenched her fists at her sides. "I'm going to kill him, Sunbae! I'm really going to kill him this time!"

With a sigh, Ji Hoo took Jan Di gently by the shoulders. He leaned forward slightly and looked her in the eyes. "Jan Di, I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye."

Her body was shaking in anger, but somehow, Ji Hoo's gaze always served to soothe her a bit. "Come with me," he said as he placed his arm around her shoulders. Slightly calmer now, she nodded and allowed Ji Hoo to lead her off through a set of doors and into a back room.

The noise died down as soon as they entered, and Ji Hoo closed the door behind them. Immediately, Jan Di slipped away from him and trudged across the room. Ji Hoo assumed she was working off her anger that way.

After a vigorous walk across the room, Jan Di stopped pacing and spun around to face Ji Hoo. "Sunbae, I don't get it. What explanation could he possibly have for doing this?" She sighed, and her shoulders slumped a bit. Ji Hoo approached her slowly, and once he stood before her, he lay his hands on her shoulders. "I don't know, but I promise I'll find out."

Jan Di dropped her head a bit and nodded. "I still want to hit him, though," she said, raising her eyes to look at him again.

Ji Hoo grinned at her. "Well, if he doesn't offer a good reason for this then I won't stand in your way," he replied. And Jan Di smiled faintly.

It was then that they heard the sound of loud voices from just behind the door. "Sunbae, are we supposed to be in here?"

"I don't know," Ji Hoo shrugged. He assumed that they could just apologize to whoever it was and say that they walked into the room by mistake, but Jan Di had other plans.

Glancing to her left side, Jan Di noticed another door, and on pure instinct, she opened it and pulled Ji Hoo inside with her.

They found themselves in a very small supply closet, barely big enough to fit the two of them, with the door mostly closed. The size of the space left them pressed tightly against one another, and Jan Di stood with her back against his front. Ji Hoo was doing his best to ease her discomfort by attempting to give her a tiny fraction of space, but there was simply no room.

Once again, Ji Hoo had to force himself to ignore his feelings and the warmth spreading throughout his body brought on by their closeness. It always did things to him when they touched, but this was certainly not the time to think about that. It could never be anyway… Why did he have to keep reminding himself of that? And why did he have to keep getting into these precarious situations with her?

For Jan Di's part, she couldn't deny being a bit unnerved. There was her concern for Ga Eul, and to top it off, though she'd tried to dismiss it, she was still reeling with guilt over Ji Hoo's and her playful moment this morning and their 'near kiss.' They hadn't even had the chance to talk about that, and here they were pressed up against each other in a closet, just about as close as two people could possibly get. She decided it best to not think about it right now…

Ji Hoo had moved around her, and he was looking through the small crack in the door. Jan Di's back was up against the wall of the closet. When she noticed him looking out, she tried to peer around his back to get a glimpse into the room. Seconds later, she heard the voices on the other side get louder and caught sight of the man who'd danced with Ga Eul entering the room with two other men, both tall, one very tall.


"I can't believe this bull!" Erik Karlsson barked at the other two, who seemed to be practically cowering before him.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo listened in on the conversation because, frankly, what else was there to do at this point? There was no place to go.


"It's an outrage!" Karlsson continued to rant. "I am to be a lowly curator while he is given the title of director?! That museum should be mine! How could he choose some Korean guy who has been around for a few months over me?! He doesn't know the museum as I do! He can't even speak our language properly!"


They were speaking in Swedish. Although Ji Hoo's Swedish was basic, he could make out most of what they were saying. He pulled out his phone and held the record button down as he sensed this was a conversation Yi Jeong and Andersson should hear...

"Sunbae, what's going on? What's he saying?" Jan Di asked.

"Shh..." Ji Hoo held up a finger to his lips.


The two men on the other side of the door didn't seem to have anything to say, so they simply listened to Karlsson's tirade. "The old man just needs to hurry up and die already!" Karlsson blurted out. "He's taking too long…," he growled.

"Well, sir, maybe," the taller underling spoke in a sinister tone, "he needs a little push…"

Karlsson scoffed. "You're so simple-minded." He raised his blue-green eyes to the ceiling. "Well, he can't leave this world before he changes his mind and hands the museum over to me, anyway."

"Perhaps if some valuable pieces were to go missing on the Korean man's watch then the old man would rethink his choice of successors…," the shorter thug suggested. His partner nodded in agreement about the brilliant plan.

"Idiots!" Karlsson barked. "They would look at me first! I'm the damn curator! Besides, the two of you really botched that the last time. You're lucky I didn't fire your asses!"

The two stepped back. "Then...do you want us to get rid of the Korean guy?" one of the thugs suggested, pulling aside his jacket and a metal object attached at his hip.


From inside the closet, Ji Hoo's eyes widened when the tallest of the three men revealed the gun he was carrying, and his fear for Yi Jeong began to grow. Not to mention, there was Jan Di to consider, too… He steeled himself and kept his finger on the record button.


Mr. Karlsson placed a hand to his forehead. "No, that will only cause more problems for me."

The thugs offered some other suggestions, all of which Karlsson shot down immediately, until finally, he snapped. "Håll käften! I need to think!"

"Förlåt! Förlåt!" they exclaimed.

Karlsson paced around the room, running a hand through his blonde waves, and he came to a stop at a small desk. He was so furious at not being able to formulate a decent plan right now that he picked up an object on the desk and threw it. Whatever it was came flying toward the closet, and Ji Hoo backed up slightly as it crashed against the door.


From inside the darkened space, Jan Di had heard raised voices and then the sound of something banging against the door. She flinched and instinctively grabbed onto Ji Hoo's jacket sleeve; he put a protective arm around her shoulder, keeping her close and still. Again, she asked him what was going on.

"Jan Di, don't say anything. Don't move," he replied.

And Jan Di froze in place. He could tell he'd frightened her, so he gave her his best comforting look, attempting to tell her with his eyes that everything would be okay, yet he was extremely worried right now…


"What about Ms. Andersson?" the shorter thug asked.

"What about her?"

"Perhaps we could…"

Karlsson cut him off. "Don't even think about touching her," he snarled. "I'll deal with her."

After another few paces, the handsome Swedish man had a thought. The Korean womanshe, however, might be useful… He stopped to ponder for a moment, thoughtfully his chin, and then he revealed his idea to his men. "The Korean man was with a woman tonight, the one I danced with. Bring her to me."

His underling wanted to kidnap her, but Karlsson believed the same effect could be achieved with far less trouble. "Just bring her to me. Tell her I need to speak with her, that it's important. Make up whatever excuse you need to. Now, go quickly. Make sure she doesn't leave until I speak with her."

"What if we can't find her?" the taller thug asked.

Mr. Karlsson put a hand to his forehead and rubbed. "Just look for a Korean woman," he gritted his teeth. "She's probably still here, and she shouldn't be difficult to find. There are only two Korean women here tonight. One is wearing a rose-colored dress and the other is wearing a black dress. Detain the one wearing the rose-colored dress. If you're not sure, ask her name. Her name is Chu Ga Eul. Oh, and do so tactfully."

The two seemed confused by that.

"Ahh, never mind! You two are really useless! I can find her myself!" And with that, he turned and left the room, slamming the door in the process. And the underlings just stood there, looking rather panicked.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di had been listening intently the entire time, but when Jan Di heard Ga Eul's name mentioned, she gasped and took a step back. Ji Hoo reached out for her, but it was too late; she stumbled over a broom and slammed into the back wall.

The loud noise immediately alerted the men outside, and two heads snapped in the direction of the crash. "What was that?!" the taller thug demanded aloud.

Ji Hoo steadied Jan Di and then turned around to look out the door again; his heart leaped into his throat when he saw the two men coming their way. If they were discovered eavesdropping, it would be bad, very bad. He wasn't so worried for himself, but Jan Di was with him, and he absolutely could not allow her to be in danger. He had to do something quick! He needed to think fast!

So, he did.

In an instant, Ji Hoo spun around to face Jan Di. Moving closer, he backed her up, trapping her smaller body between his and the back wall.

Jan Di's eyes widened slightly, and she felt her cheeks heat up at their sudden proximity. "S-sunbae?"

"Jan Di, do you trust me?" he asked in an urgent whisper.

Pinned to the wall, she hesitated only a split-second before nodding, and without further ado, Ji Hoo pulled her into his arms. Jan Di placed her hands flat against his chest as there was nowhere else to put them. There was not even a sliver of space between their bodies, and she fidgeted a bit while trying to accommodate to their sudden closeness within the confined space.

"Jan Di-ah, stay still. Don't move a muscle," he gently demanded.

She immediately froze, and then she saw him lean in…

Forgive me, Jan Di. I just want to protect you...

Jan Di felt her heart speeding out of control as she heard the sound of footsteps coming closer and simultaneously saw Ji Hoo's face moving toward hers… He had one arm wrapped around her waist now, and he'd brought the other hand up. Gently, he lifted her chin with his index finger and captured her chin between his thumb and forefinger. He dipped his head and leaned in even closer. He was so close now that their noses brushed… She then felt him rest his forehead against hers, and he placed his thumb on her lips. What was he doing? Before she could think much about it, he'd pressed his lips against his own thumb, which rested softly on her lips...

So, there they were, in each other's arms in a dark closet, simulating a kiss. Jan Di wasn't quite sure what she should do right now, and she felt her lips begin to tremble beneath his thumb. She'd in a breath when he came toward her and had been holding it the entire time, she realized, but she couldn't last much longer. Eventually, she allowed her tightly closed lips to part against his thumb, just enough to release the breath she'd been holding and to take another.

Ji Hoo was trying not to breathe through his mouth at all, but when her lips parted against his thumb and he felt her warm breath on his face, he let a bit of air pass through his own lips. Their breathing mingled for a few seconds with just a thin barrier separating their mouths.

Jan Di was gazing into his eyes, eyes that were so close to hers that their lashes fluttered against each other when they blinked. And they were just staring at one another… She knew her eyes had gone wide as could be, but his were still soft and warm as creamy milk chocolate, like always. How did he manage to stay so calm in such a situation? But when she felt his heart beating, she thought that perhaps he was not as calm as he seemed...

Ji Hoo could feel Jan Di's heart beating wildly against his chest, and surely, she could feel his galloping at a similar pace. If he knew her as well as he thought he did, hers was probably beating so fast because she was feeling uncomfortable about being...so close like this, and she also might be a bit scared. His was beating fast for two reasons: one, he was worried about her, and two, well, also because they were so close like this… But he couldn't be bothered with his feelings or what Jun Pyo might think of this scenario right now; he could only think about keeping Jan Di safe. And he would do whatever it took to make sure she was.

Jan Di watched Ji Hoo's eyelashes flutter a bit; the movement was lulling her into complacency, and she felt her eyes beginning to close. He always had such a calming effect on her no matter what the scenario. However, she was nervous and thinking about many things right now. She ultimately decided it made more sense to close her eyes rather than stare at him like an idiot, so she shut them as tight as if she was avoiding a particularly gruesome scene in a horror movie. It didn't take long, though, for the feel of his warm breath against her lips and the reminder that her sunbae would never let anything bad happen to her to put her at ease, and she let her eyelids relax.

When she closed her eyes, he followed suit but kept vigilant to the sounds outside.

Her eyes still closed, but not so tight, Jan Di remained that way with Ji Hoo for another five seconds until the sound of the doorknob twisting brought her back to reality. And both pairs of eyes shot open.

A split-second later, the Swedish man threw open the closet door while the other looked on from behind him. As soon as he heard the door open, Ji Hoo pulled away from Jan Di and spun around, breaking their staged tryst.

"Oh," Ji Hoo said in his best 'shocked' tone. "I'm sorry. We...we didn't know anyone came in." He spoke in English and was only pretending to be flustered yet his body was still pumped full of adrenaline.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?!" the man demanded in broken English.

Ji Hoo then began speaking Swedish, explaining to the thug that he just wanted to find a place to be alone with his girlfriend. And then Ji Hoo gave him a bow. "Förlåt," he said sincerely.

Clearly, the two were not understanding about this at all. In fact, they looked extremely annoyed. The one who opened the door's brow wrinkled up, and he growled, "Get out of here."

"Of course, we'll leave now," Ji Hoo said as he grabbed a still stunned Jan Di's hand and pulled her out of the closet and past the thugs.

Jan Di's face was still beet red when he got her out of the room. Still holding her hand, he continued to pull her along behind him like a small child...

The crowd had died down a bit now, and once they were far enough away that he felt like it was safe, Ji Hoo took Jan Di around a corner and faced her. "I'm really sorry about that, Jan Di. I was just trying to protect you." He was relieved that the thugs weren't very bright and had believed his flimsy excuse.

"It's okay. I...know why you did it," Jan Di said, her cheeks still burning a bit from their closeness and the way her body had responded to it. Jan Di thought she got it, at least. He was putting on an act, so it wouldn't seem like they'd heard anything that maybe they weren't supposed to…she still didn't know what had been said, though. Abruptly, her thoughts returned to Ga Eul. "Sunbae, what was that all about? I heard that man mention Ga Eul. Is she in danger?"

"I'm not sure, but I need to speak with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin." Ji Hoo then whipped out his phone and started typing away. He sent a group message to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin and included the audio he'd recorded. "I hope they have their phones handy," he said as he stuck his phone in the inner pocket of his suit jacket.

And then Ji Hoo took Jan Di's hand again. He just wanted to keep her as close as possible to him right now, but of course, it took her by surprise. She stiffened a bit as if she would pull away, but the look he gave her convinced her not to argue and to go along willingly.

Hand in hand with Jan Di, Ji Hoo headed back toward the ballroom, all the while scanning the surrounding areas for Yi Jeong, Woo Bin or Ga Eul. Honestly, he just wanted to get Jan Di out of there, but his other friends needed him right now, and it wasn't the girl whose hand he held who was Karlsson's target. Squeezing Jan Di's hand a bit tighter, Ji Hoo led her off in search of their friends.

***To Be Continued***


A/N: Okay everyone, I'm not so good with action/suspense, and I think my villains are really simplistic and stereotypical. I apologize for them. I'll get better at it one of these days. Anyways, hope it was okay. Also, I was trying to search for the name of Yi Jeong's family's museum, and his grandfather's name. Well, I found the name of the museum as mentioned in the show, but it seemed a little weird, and his grandfather's name was also mentioned (episode when Kang San is telling Jan Di about F4), but the name mentioned was a female name when I looked it up...so, I'm not sure if it was the translation or what, but I was confused. If anyone knows for sure and wants to correct me, go for it! 

TEASER!

What is to come…

Next chapter(s): Passionate Partings (working title), etc: After an exciting end to the night, everyone deals with the aftermath, and Yi Jeong and Ga Eul spend a last night in Sweden together. How will it go? Jan Di and Ji Hoo and Ga Eul and Woo Bin fly home together. Jan Di and Ji Hoo ponder what happened in Sweden and what to do about it while Yi Jeong deals with matters in Stockholm. Yi Jeong tries to help Elise while Woo Bin plays a protective and comforting role in Ga Eul's life. Will SoEul end up living happily ever after? And what of Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Jun Pyo…?