four.

you're a work of art.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon didn’t know why she was back in school on a Friday evening when she could have been at home having dinner with her family. It’s not like she knew anyone who was going to perform. Well, there was Yuna but that’s only it. Even so, it wasn’t like she was close with the older girl. Yewon was supposed to have a meal together with her family as a whole after having a few missing members for the past few weeks so why did she suddenly change her mind and decide to attend the mini concert that Professor Im invited her to? Even her family members were surprised that she was heading out.

 

“Yewon, you really made it!”

 

The sophomore could only smile awkwardly and tipped her head to acknowledge Professor Im’s arrival. She had texted him a few minutes ago to tell him that she was at the venue and had been waiting for him since then. Seeing the man in front of her now, she felt a tad relieved that she was no longer alone. Yewon never liked going to crowded places unless she had someone she was familiar with to tag along with her. If not, she would rather be cooped in her room than leave the house where she felt the least safest.

 

The lively atmosphere in the school theatre felt foreign to Yewon who was sitting stiffly on the chair. It was something that she had only seen occurring in the many movies she had watched whenever she locked herself in her room over the weekends. Being able to be part of one herself was definitely a new experience but she hoped this was her first and last time. She preferred silence over anything else.

 

Soon enough, the lights dimmed and the crowd quietened down. All eyes were focused on the stage as a student walked out from the right and stood in the middle of the stage with a microphone in one hand and a cue card in another.

 

“Good evening, ladies and gentleman! Tonight, we will be having lots of spectacular performances by a few of our students who have dedicated their lives to music…”

 

At that moment, Yewon regretted her decision to skip the family dinner for the concert. She doubted Yuna would be elated to see her. Professor Im had told her that the third year student had been stopping by the art room for three days straight to look for her, making Yewon feel guilty instantly for avoiding her. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to see her— to apologise properly and formally but she just wasn’t sure how to act normally whenever Yuna’s around. And the fact that Yuna had called her her friend, it scared Yewon that she was going to grow attached to the music major who was going to graduate in a few months’ time.

 

Yewon sometimes wonder why Professor Im was so adamant in wanting to help her search for a subject over the semester break. Why he personally chose the music major and not any other students. She knew he was only trying to make her task simpler since she wasn’t really a sociable person but what exactly made Choi Yuna so special that she was the perfect one? Why did Professor Im want her to take Yuna as her muse? Why did he tell her that Yuna reminded him of her in many aspects? It was weird for Yewon to hear that because Yuna was definitely better than her in many aspects. Yuna was so much different than her.

 

“It seems like Yuna is performing now.”

 

“Huh?” Yewon turned to face Professor Im and looked at him blankly.

 

“Yuna. She’s on stage right now,” the man said eagerly.

 

Facing the stage once again, Yewon frowned. She hated how she wasn’t able to recognise that it was Yuna on stage at one glance. She hated herself more at the fact that she could never recognise Yuna’s— or anyone else’s face even after seeing them a few times. It wasn’t that she was forgetful. She actually remembered things really well. However, she just could never remember how a person looked like after the first meeting or the second meeting and other subsequent meetings even if she tried really hard. That was why she started to seclude herself from everyone. It was easier for her to not make friends so that she would not have to stress herself out by trying to remember their faces.

 

Yuna looked extremely beautiful that night in the white dress that reached just above her knees. Yewon had been staring at the girl the whole time, trying to remember the structure of her face, from her eyes down to her lips. She didn’t know why but she just felt the need to although she knew that the images she tried engraving in her mind would disappear as soon as Yuna left the stage.

 

“I don’t think any adjectives can describe how beautiful she looks tonight,” Yewon said loud enough for Professor Im to hear.

 

“You think so?” the latter chuckled softly and unknowing to Yewon, the man was smiling in amusement.

 

“I don’t want to forget this image.”

 

~.~.~

 

Although Yewon failed to keep the image of Yuna in her mind, she could definitely remember how Yuna’s voice touched her heart when she was singing. Professor Im wasn’t wrong when he said that Yuna’s voice could make her feel like she had fallen in love. Yewon watched and listened to Yuna in pure amazement throughout the whole performance and was instantly disappointed when the latter and her duet partner left the stage after bowing to the crowd. It was only after she left that Yewon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter