Sacrifice

Excuse Me?

“I am doomed,” said Jimin with a soulless voice.

“Why?" Hoseok who was his roommates at the training camp for the national football high school tournament asked curiously.

“I don’t bring my uniform,” Jimin answered.

“WHAAAAAT???? PARK JIMIN YOU ARE DEAD!!!” Hoseok's reaction quickly changed after hearing what made Jimin's soul left his body.

Hoseok was walking around the room while thinking about the solution to Jimin's problem. Give up on finding the answer, Hoseok lied down on his bed and told Jimin there was no better solution than asking their manager for help. It’s a do-or-die choice. He better got all the scolding rather than not being able to play on the final. Jimin looked at him with his sad puppy eyes. Hoseok felt bad but he couldn't do anything but cheer him up.

With heavy steps, Jimin was walking towards the team's manager room. Hoseok was on his side to give him moral support. Jimin knocked on the door and they were greeted by their manager. The manager told them to come inside. Once they sat down, Jimin told him what's make him come and meet him. The manager listened to him carefully. A fatherly smile bloomed on his lips. Without saying anything he went to the desk near the bed and took his phone. He was back and handed the phone to Jimin. Jimin took it and began to type a phone number then press the dialing button.

“Hello,” he greeted the person whom he called.

“Jiminnie?” Jimin was surprised because his sister could recognize his voice right away.

“Noona, I am…,” Jimin paused. He was too scared to tell her the reason why he called. He knew for sure she will get angry.

“What is it that you left at home?” Jimin was amazed at his sister’s sixth sense but at the same time, he felt so scared. Asking her to come all the way from Seoul to Daegu only to brought his uniform was the same as asking a boss to help to work for the deadline.

“Okay. I will ride the first train tomorrow. Send me the location. Anything else?” unexpectedly she responds calmly. But this unusual reaction made Jimin even more scared and uneasy. Jimin quickly says no and after telling her the exact address, he ended the call.

Jimin handed the phone back to the manager after sent her the location. The first crisis had passed. Now, he was preparing for the second crisis, getting scolded for being indisciplined. Once again, he was surprised because the manager didn’t scold him. Instead, he told him to go back to his room and go to sleep. Hoseok who already yawning countless times bowed then dragged Jimin who still in disbelief back to their room.

It’s around midnight when Hoseok suddenly awake due to nature’s call. With half-closed eyes and heavy steps, he got down from his bed. He saw the bed next to him was empty and it made him sighed. The old duty he had when he became the vice-captain was back again. As a captain, Jimin always gives their teammate energy and motivation whenever the team felt down, but he not always that positive. And it’s Jung Hoseok who always there to bring her spirit back whenever he started to be shaken.

Before he did this important duty, he had to empty his bladder first which was tenfold more important.

“Oh, sunbaenim, hello!” greeted Hoseok as soon as he entered the toilet.

Jungkook smiled at him but Hoseok couldn’t see it clearly as his vision was still blurry. He didn’t know why but it feels like someone put the glue on his eyelid. While he was doing his business, an idea suddenly comes. After dried his hands, Jungkook excused himself to the left first. Hoseok quickly asked him to wait. Jungkook stopped and Hoseok quickly finished his business. Jungkook listened to him and agreed to help him.

“I am counting on you, Jungkook sunbae! I am sorry but I really can’t open my eyes!” Hoseok bowed deeply.

Jungkook laughed and told him to quickly back to sleep. He will handle Jimin. It’s his duty as a mentor too. Hoseok gave his brightest smile and went back to his room. Jungkook wandered around the dorm, to the common space, and to the kitchen, but he couldn’t find Jimin. There was one place left, it’s the terrace. Through the window, Jungkook could saw Jimin was sitting there alone while staring at the space.

Jimin turned his head as he felt a warm thing on his cheek. Jungkook smiled at him then gave that can of warm milk to him. He then sat next to him and opened his milk. They were just sitting there for a while and enjoying their warm milk.

“It reminds me of last year. I also sat here and staring at this darkness. Mr. Manager then came and handed his phone without saying anything. I took it confusedly but then I started to type my dad’s phone number. Remembered that time made me embarrassed. I never said something sweet to my family. But that night, I suddenly felt all sorts of emotions as if I never meet them again. I even cried and apologized to them,” Jungkook purposely told his embarrassing story so that Jimin could feel at ease to share his concern.

Just like what Mr. Manager did, Jungkook handed out his phone to Jimin. Jimin looked at the phone then at Jungkook. He wavered, but then he decided to reject Jungkook’s offer. He already called his parents earlier and it was suicide if he called his sister. Jungkook nodded and put his phone back in his pocket.

“My sister… Would she be okay tomorrow?” Jimin decided to talk. He knew himself well. If he didn’t talk, he won’t be able to sleep and it will affect his stamina.

Like a flowing river in the summer, Jimin uttered his worries to Jungkook smoothly. The story of how his sister failed the suneung test and that tomorrow she had an interview for a scholarship. He worried if she came here it will affect her condition. Jungkook diligently listened to him, gave a necessary response, and kept eye contact to ensure he was listening carefully.

“In my opinion, you don’t need to worry about her. You said your sister is smart, so I believe she won’t do something so reckless that can ruin her own future. Besides, if she knew she can’t make it then she will ask another person to come here,” Jungkook tried to give his objective opinion.

“I KNOW RIGHT? I mean, why she should come here herself. What if she couldn’t make it? She might be smart but she is so clumsy,” Jimin let out his frustration.

“Because she feels responsible. How should I explain it? Hmm… It feels like when you see your junior is practicing hard for the tournament, but they still can’t kick the ball right. You want to help them, but you have a test tomorrow, then what will you do? Do you just walk past by the field and go home?” Jungkook tried to make Jimin understand her thought by giving a simple example.

Jimin replied to his question by shaking his head and said he probably stop by for a while then go home.

“See. You can ask your friend to teach them, but since you are the striker, and the captain, you feel responsible and somehow want to directly teach them. It probably what your sister feels,” Jungkook hope Jimin could catch what he tried to imply.

“Anyway, you must love your sister so much that makes you won’t be able to sleep because you worrying about her,” Jungkook tried to break the ice by teasing Jimin. He knew most of the siblings loves to deny they were caring for each other.

Jimin who heard it fell into silence before exploding in a laugh. He said his sister might look so kind, gentle, and other good things to the people around her, but she was actually far from that words at home. Jimin started to listing what he hates about her. She got a good voice but she kept singing nonstop and it was so annoying. Not only that, she always nagging, told him to do the chores, became so strict when she teaches him, and what even worse was he had to eat her indescribable taste cooks. She also seems like possessing supernatural power as she often knew what he was thinking and what he did wrong even before he says it.

The night was getting colder and Jimin’s eyelids were getting heavier. Badmouthing his sister use lots of energy that made him sleepy. A winter breeze caressed his face and it made him getting sleepier. Jimin finally yawning and decided to stop this talk. He needs to rest to be able to perform well in tomorrow’s match.

Jungkook who saw Jimin was already getting sleepy was glad. His strategy to make him let out his worries and emotions works really well. Somehow, he felt really proud because as a mentor he could do his job well. Jungkook stood up, took his phone out of his pocket, and gave it to Jimin. Jimin looked at the phone then looked up to see his face.

“Are you sure you won’t send a message to your sister?” Jungkook offered him for one last time.

Jimin stared at the phone for a few seconds before he rejects his offer. Despite his guilt for making his sister come to deliver his uniform, his rational mind wins over it. He knew if he sent something sweet to her, she would make it as a laughing stock for at least a month. It will become an absolute nightmare.

“Thank you sunbae,” Jimin stood up then gave a bow to Jungkook.

Jungkook scoffed and smiled. They were walking together until they reach Jimin’s room. After he said good night, Jimin entered his room. But before he fully closed it, he opened it again and it made Jungkook stopped, wondered whether he still had something to say.

“My sister. I may say something bad about her, but, she actually not that bad. She is a good person,” it seems like he felt sorry towards his sister so that he clarified it.

“I know. Your story said it all she is a good person and good sister,” Jungkook ensured him he didn’t get the wrong idea.

Jimin was smiling back then once again said good night and with a calm mind, he was going back to his bed.

***

“70,”

“20,”

“Fine, 50,”

“No way. How come I am the one who runs in the field but you get half of the prize??,”

“If I am not coming here to give your uniform, you won’t get any penny,”

“But still…,”

“Looking at the situation, you don’t have a right to make an objection. Am I right?”

“But you don’t tell me beforehand. It feels like I am getting scammed,”

“Okay. 40% but you have to reimburse all the expenses I spent on coming here. Call?”

“Huft… Fine. Now, hand me the uniform,”

Jimin gave up on the negotiation with his sister. As usual, he never once won against her. He reached out his hand asking for his uniform. Chaeyoung who saw Jimin’s defeated face felt satisfied. She then opened her bag and took out an eco-bag and handed it to Jimin. Once he held the bag, he felt something was strange. He opened it and saw a lunch box inside the bag. He took out the lunch box and after checked his uniform was in there he breathed in relief.

“What’s this?” Jimin held the lunch box and asked his sister about it.

“I made kimbap,”

“But I…,”

“Don’t worry. You don’t have to eat it. I made it for Hoseok. Ah, don’t lose the post-it! I write my message on it,” Chaeyoung worried the sticky notes will fall off.

Jimin put the lunch box back to the bag. He then saw his watch and asked Chaeyoung whether she could make it in time to the interview.

“What is it? Are you just worry about my interview after I arrived here? Woah seriously…,” Chaeyoung tried so hard to hold her smile and pretended to get upset. She knew although he pretended not to care he actually worried so much. The apologetic face formed in Jimin’s face and it made her feel bad.

“Hey brother, don’t you dare to look down on me just because I failed my test. Lemme tell you a fact. It’s my first failure. And you know how marvelous my academic record is? Interview? It’s not like I’m inexperienced. Don’t worry, I am a member of the debate club and ever won several competitions before. Don’t need to worry about me,” she tried to ease his heart by flexing her achievements.

“HUH? What’s that? How cocky! I can’t hear any of your cockiness anymore. Hurry, go!” what she said were all facts but Jimin got pissed.

Chaeyoung was laughing. Accidentally she saw someone was looking at them through the window. A mischievous thought came to her mind and it made her forming a suspicious smile. Jimin saw it and slowly walked back. This look on her eyes was dangerous. But he was too late, she already got closer and hugged him.

“What are you doing? You embarrassed me,” Jimin tried so hard to released himself off of her embrace.

“That’s my point. Your friends are there watching you,” Chaeyoung didn’t want to lose so that she tightens her hug.

“Lemme go!” hearing her reason made him more eager to quickly releasing his body. He couldn’t imagine the humiliation he will get once he got back.

“Not until you thank me,” Jimin’s panic reaction made her happier.

“What??!!!” her ridiculous order got him all pissed.

Chaeyoung tightening her hug and giggling.

“I got it. I got it. Thank you Noona! Now, lemme go!” he gave up and decided to do what she wanted.

“HAHHAHAHHAA!” Chaeyoung finally let go of him and laughing out loud. Jimin’s face was getting red as he felt embarrassed.

“Awww so cute…,” Chaeyoung was messing her brother’s hair and pinch his chubby rosy cheeks.

His pouty face even made him look cuter. Chaeyoung saw her watch and it's time for her to go.

“You better win this match and don’t forget my 40% shares plus the expenses fees,” said Chaeyoung as a new way to say goodbye to him.

“I GOT IT. I GOT IT! NOW GO! GO! GO!” Jimin shoo her away by turning her shoulder and pushing her away.

She laughed and after she says goodbye in the normal way, she turned around and saw Jimin who was running towards the mess. After Jimin entered the mess, she took her phone and called the taxi driver that waiting for her at the front gate. The taxi driver said he went to fill the gas and will be back around ten minutes. He was afraid there won't be enough gas so he decided to go. Chaeyoung looked at her watch. There was still plenty of time so she said it’s okay and she will wait.

After she ended the phone call, she took a deep sigh. Ten minutes wasn't too long but it might be boring to spend it alone. She looked at her surroundings thinking about what she should do. Since she knew there was nothing besides enjoy the scenery, she took out her earphone and played a soothing song. It's not too bad to take an early morning walk by herself. It's romantic and calming. The street lamp inside this mess complex was still on. It added to the romantic point. But something was missing to complete this ambiance. It's someone to spend this moment with. When she thought about it, she quickly shook her head to clear up her mind. Being alone was great too. So, she decided to take a slow walk to the main gate.

Jimin entered the mess and welcomed by a sudden change of temperature. He took off his thick jacket and walked towards the pantry to get some water. After gulping down a full glass of water, he took out the lunch box from the eco-bag and read the sticky notes.

“Jung Hoseok Fighting! Let’s catch all the ball so they won’t get a chance to score!”

Jimin chuckled. He was about to put the box back but realized, there was another layer of the notes. He pulled the first one and read the next one.

“Don’t eat it by yourself, I made a lot so you must share it with Hoseok. If you don’t want to eat it BCS you afraid you will go to the toilet in the middle of the match, just share it with your friend. PS: Don’t worry this kimbab is free, I won’t add it to your debt XP XP,”

Jimin scoffed but then giggling. Seeing her notes remind him of her. He looked out of the window tried to check on her but he couldn’t saw her. It’s still so early and the sun wasn’t fully appeared yet. He started to get worried over his sister. He quickly regretted why he didn’t walk her out. Although it’s safe still, this mess was located quite far from the residential area. Jimin put his jacket on and quickly ran towards the front door hoping he still manages to catch his sister.

“OUCH!!” Jimin screamed as he bumped into something really hard that made him fell down on the floor. He wondered why there was furniture in the middle of the corridor. He looked up and saw Jungkook was standing there and reach his hand out to help him stand up. Jimin was surprised. So, the rumor about Jungkook being so strong was true. He bumped into him but he didn’t even budge. This made him wonder how long he needs to build a body like Jungkook.

“Why are you running on the corridor?” Jungkook asked Jimin who was still stunned and amazed by his strength.

Jimin who finally back to his sense and remembered his initial purpose was getting panic. Jungkook realized it and asking him what made him so worried. Jimin told him shortly because he was in such a hurry. Jimin about to run but Jungkook grabbed his jacket. He said Jimin already caused so much trouble. He was being lucky the manager didn't scold him for forgetting his uniform and more importantly it’s not reported to the coach. If the coach finds out, he might lose a chance to participate in another competition. The coach hates an indisciplined person. Jimin was shaking in fear hearing that fact. He still wanted to play in this team and didn’t want to get kicked out.

“You wait here. I'll go check her,” Jungkook decided to help Jimin to ease his worry. He gave Jimin his phone and asked him to write his sister's number while Jungkook went back to his room to take his jacket. Jimin was waiting for him in front of Jungkook’s room door and it made him almost got bumped when Jungkook got out. He handed Jungkook’s phone back and said he saved the number as Jimin's sister. Jungkook smiled, patted his head then told him not to worry. He will walk her and wait until she got into the taxi and once she arrived at the interview place, he will inform him quickly. The relieved face is shown in Jimin's face. He thanked Jungkook for helping him. Jungkook smiled once again and hurriedly walked to the front door.

After putting on his shoes he quickly runs over to the front gate. He wished she hasn't got too far. Found her! Jungkook saw a girl in a black long padded jacket with a big backpack was walking on the pathway. He was relieved and run over to her. Once he caught up with her, he suddenly took a distance. It was because he hadn’t prepared what he will say to her. He wasn't the type who can easily approach a new person, especially a girl. It will become so awkward.

“Ehem hemm… Excuse me? Are you Jimin's sister?” he finally decided to call her and had a normal chit chat with her. Moreover, they almost arrived at the front gate so he didn’t has to get so worried. Just act normal.

Jungkook waited for few seconds but Jimin's sister didn't give any response and it made him embarrassed. He tried once again to call her with a louder voice. Strangely she was still not responding. Jungkook gave up so that he just followed her from behind. When he was walking behind her, he realized something. This girl looked so familiar. She looked like Chaeyoung but the hair made him hesitate.

After a while, they finally arrived. The security guard greeted them from inside his post. Jimin’s sister still not realized she was being followed and Jungkook didn’t even bother to make her aware of his existence. It’s better this way. Staying quiet was the best option. It’s much better than starting an awkward conversation.

Jimin’s sister stood up and facing the one and only access road to this dorm. It’s so clear that she was waiting for the taxi to come. That’s why she hasn’t realized Jungkook's existence. Jungkook also couldn’t get to see her face since she kept looking forward and her back was facing him.

Standing still indeed made them felt cold. Jimin’s sister started to take a few steps to the right and left or back and forth. Once in a while, she was looking at her watch that made Jungkook automatically looking at the clock on his phone too. It sure took a bit long for the taxi to come. Well, maybe it’s not that long. It might be the cold weather that made the time running slowly. Bored with the waiting and freezing in the cold winter, Jimin’s sister started to do some stretching.

“I, I know where to lay

“I know what to say

It's all the same

And I, I know how to play

I know this game

It's all the same”

Jungkook got startled when she suddenly singing while doing a stretching. But then he was giggling as he thought she might create her own warming up song. She indeed the same as what Jimin said about her. She indeed loves to sing and got a great unique voice. While he was laughing at her action, she suddenly looked back when she did the torso twist.

“AAAKKK!” she screamed as she saw Jungkook.

Jungkook who saw her was as surprised as her. The fact that the girl who stood in front of him right now was Park Chaeyoung a.k.a Park Jimin’s sister really made him left in shock. His face suddenly got so red because when she saw him, he was laughing at her action.

Chaeyoung who realized she was screaming out loud instinctively closed with her hand. Just like Jungkook, her face also gotten so red because of embarrassment. She wondered how long Jungkook was standing there. Did he witness what she was just doing?

Since both of them were feeling embarrassed, they didn’t say anything and just exchange a small greeting by bowing to each other. Chaeyoung stopped her warming up and slowly stood on the same line with Jungkook. She then took her earphone off to show politeness.

“I don’t know you are Jimin’s sister,” Jungkook started to talk. He didn’t want any misunderstanding to happen because of this incident.

“It’s okay. I never mentioned it too,” said Chaeyoung.

They fell into silence again.

“Thank you so much for doing Jimin’s favor. I am sorry both of my brothers causing you much trouble,” Chaeyoung who had a brilliant brain quickly realized Jimin must be asking him to walk her to the main gate.

“I am just helping him as his mentor. He will get into trouble if he missed the morning assemble,” Jungkook explained himself. Once again, he was amazed by how true what Jimin said about her. Even if he didn’t say anything, she already knows he was here because of Jimin.

“I see. I am sorry on his behalf. Please take care of our Jimin,” Chaeyoung suddenly becomes so polite and gave a full bow to Jungkook as if she was Jimin’s parents.

Their uncomfortable conversation finally ends. Both parties know by continuing this conversation will exhaust them so they chose to stay silent. Without they realized, ten minutes had passed since they waited at the front gate and it made Chaeyoung started to panic. The taxi driver hasn’t arrived yet. She dialed the driver’s phone but he didn’t pick up. To keep her mind calm, she started to walk back and forth while trying to call the driver again.

Jungkook realized her change of action and it’s obvious that she was restless. Jungkook checked on the time and he seemed to understand the situation. Jimin said her interview was around 1.30 PM and it’s almost 7.30 AM. At this point, if she didn’t manage to catch the train, she will be late. The time needed to reach Seoul from Daegu was around 4 hours by normal train or bus. It’s a different case if she takes the KTX because it only takes 2 hours. But the cost was twice the bus and normal train fare.

The driver finally picked the call. Without wasting any more time, Chaeyoung directly asked him about his location.

“I am sorry, but I don’t speak in dialect. Can you please,” Chaeyoung scrunched her forehead because she couldn’t understand what was the driver was said.

Even though Chaeyoung told him she didn’t understand what he said, the driver kept talking in dialect. This situation made her even more frustrated. Not only because she will be late, but also because the dialect was using a higher tone that made him sounds angry. She closed her eyes and massages her forehead with her other hand while listening to the driver. There was no other way but to call another taxi. When she opened her eyes, a hand appeared in front of her. She looked at the hand then to Jungkook’s face. Judging from his gesture, it seems like he wanted to help so Chaeyoung handed the phone to him.

Jungkook took the phone and talked to the driver with a dialect. Chaeyoung who heard it was amazed. She didn’t know Jungkook could speak in dialect. What’s made her even more stunned was because it was her first time to hear someone she knew actually spoke in dialect. People said the Gyeongsang Dialect made man more manly. Well, she often heard it on TV but now she experienced it live and it seems like the rumor was true.

Blown away by Jungkook’s dialect made Chaeyoung was a bit flustered when Jungkook returned her phone. She got red because Jungkook caught her right-handed staring at him in admiration. To disguise her embarrassment, she quickly asked Jungkook what happened to the driver. Jungkook said after filling the gas, the tires were deflated and now he was in the middle of fixing the car. But he already called his friend to replace him. Now, his friend was on the way to their location. Chaeyoung could breathe in ease again now.

Since the crisis that made her forgot the cold was over, she began to felt the cruelness of the cold again. She stomped her feet and blew her breath into her palm to make it warmer. Seeing her like that made him pitied her. They might not in a good term but this time, she was here not as Park Chaeyoung but as Jimin’s sister. Since he couldn’t stand seeing her freeze in cold, he suggested walking to the main street. Of course, he won’t say the real reason so he said it was to cut the time for a taxi. This mess was located far from the main street. The car should turn from the main street to this access road to reach its location. Chaeyoung agreed with that idea and took a lead to walk.

This access road was surrounded by dense trees on the right side and the soccer field guarded by the fence on the left side. This training camp was a perfect place for the player to focus on their training. But, since it’s quite far from the residential area, it becomes so quiet. The reason why Chaeyoung chooses to wait in front of the main gate instead of walking through this access road to reach the main street was that there was a security guard on the post. The presence of humans near her made the ambiance became less scary. She can’t imagine walking down this quiet and dark street alone. The sun hasn’t fully come yet and the limited sunlight had a hard time passing through the dense trees. The only source of light was those dim street lights. Not only because of the darkness that made her afraid of the invisible creature but also the cruelest creature called human. Yes, she hasn’t fully recovered from her trauma since that incident.

No matter how hard she tried to distract her thoughts with happy things, she couldn’t help but think about that frightening day. It’s not reached three minutes since they started walking but she already gave up and couldn’t continue. She stopped walking and turned around to face Jungkook who walked behind her.

“Hey, I know it’s weird, but can you… Can you not walking behind me?” Chaeyoung asked Jungkook a favor.

Jungkook looked at confusedly sand Chaeyoung quickly said it was because she felt uncomfortable. It seems like someone was following her from behind. She lied by saying she watched a thriller movie last night that made her creating this wild imagination. Hearing her reason suddenly remind him about that night. Of course, she would feel uncomfortable. He never felt that feeling before. Feeling like someone was following him although there was nobody. Also, this quiet and remote place could create wilder imagination.

Without a word, Jungkook moved to her side and they continued walking in silence. Chaeyoung who still felt restless kept on looking at her watch likely every two minutes. She tried to browse about the train schedule but since the reception wasn’t good, it took longer to loading.

“How long the time needed to reach the station? Can I be able to reach it before 8?” Chaeyoung gave up on the internet so that she asked Jungkook.

Jungkook said since the train station was quite far from here, so, it’s kind of impossible. Chaeyoung looked so helpless after she heard it. She intentionally took the first train so that she could save more money for taking the Korail instead of KTX.

“It’s only two hours to go to Seoul. You still have enough time although you take the 8.30 train,” said Jungkook.

Chaeyoung was only smiling hearing that. She wanted to tell him she won’t take the KTX but she didn’t because she was afraid it will just giving him TMI.

Their conversation end right when they arrived at the main street. It’s the weekend and it’s still early in the morning which means there won’t be any traffic. After the browser showed the train schedule, Chaeyoung got her high up. She might still manage to catch the 8 o’clock train. To ensure her plan, she asked Jungkook again about the traffic and the possibility of her to reached the station within 15 minutes. But, Jungkook said it was still impossible even on this empty road. Moreover, the train station was quite big. Unless she already bought the ticket online, she still had the chance to catch the train. But, if she wasn’t, she had to buy the ticket on the counter. Which will take several minutes.

“So, I finally ended up riding the KTX,” Chaeyoung mumbled. The next Korail schedule was at 9 o’clock that almost impossible to ride because it arrived in Seoul at around 13.00 o’clock.

“You can take the bus. The bus terminal is closer. It’s 7.40 now. 15 minutes is more than enough to reach there,” Jungkook gave her another solution. Judging from her strong will to arrive at 8 in train station means she wanted to save money. Jimin already told him about their family condition so he could understand it.

“By bus… Well… That’s a good option but…,” thinking about the bus made her hesitate so that she stopped her sentence halfway.

“The taxi is here. If you want to take the bus, you shouldn’t think for long,” Jungkook warned her as the taxi was finally seen.

“It’s a good option but… I am not familiar with the bus terminal so I think it will take a longer time,” she lied to him once again. She just can’t tell she still had trauma. Jungkook saw her with a questionable face but decided to not give any comment.

The taxi stopped in front of them. Chaeyoung got into it followed by Jungkook. She got surprised but couldn’t say a word. Jungkook then talked with the driver using a dialect which made Chaeyoung only able to listen. Seeing how confused Chaeyoung’s face was, Jungkook immediately told her about his plan. They were heading to the bus station which takes a shorter time. Chaeyoung was speechless. She couldn’t say anything. Rationally speaking, it’s the best option for her and it’s her fault for not saying the truth. So, she had no choice but to follow his plan.

According to Jungkook’s plan, once they arrived, Chaeyoung should head straight to the bus parking lot and wait in front of the Seoul Bus while Jungkook went to buy the ticket. If Jungkook hasn’t arrived when the bus is about to depart, Chaeyoung should beg the driver to wait for a second. Chaeyoung nodded and had no objection. She knew he must know it best since he was way more familiar with the bus.

On their way to the terminal, Chaeyoung already prepared the money for the taxi and the ticket. So, as soon as they arrived, they quickly handed it to the driver and quickly got out of the taxi. Jungkook leads the way and Chaeyoung followed from behind. When they entered the terminal, Jungkook told her to turn left and search for the bus to Seoul. Chaeyoung followed his instruction and quickly heading to the bus parking area.

Chaeyoung read the sign and with some help from the people in the station, she finally found the bus and waited in front of it. There were eight minutes left before the bus departed. She waited anxiously and kept looking in the direction where she parted way with Jungkook. Not long after, she saw Jungkook was running to her. He handed the ticket and the change. He said she was lucky because it was the last ticket. She thanked him and quickly got inside the bus. All the front seat seems to be taken so that she kept walking to the back row. There was one empty seat located on the two last rows of the bus and there was a man was sitting on the inner side of their seat. Her heart started to beating fast but she kept telling herself to be strong and it will be fine. At least, she sat on the outer side.

Before the bus departed, she closed her eyes and prayed for her safety. She thought she started to overcome her trauma but it seems like she still needs a long way to go. Lately, she was able to ride the bus with less worry but then she realized it must be because she had a friend that accompanied her. She went home with Yoojung after school, went with Jaehyun after practice, and went home with Jungkook after cram school. Ah, it must be better and safer if Jungkook was riding this bus too.

Chaeyoung opened her eyes then looked outside the window. She took a deep breath and once again she tried to calm herself. She looked at the watch and it’s only three minutes left. She looked to the front checking whether the driver already sat in his seat but then her eyes caught something.

“No way. Is that real? Does God fulfilled my pray?” she said inside her head when she saw Jungkook was coming inside the bus and walked towards her.

“Hey,” Jungkook greeted her awkwardly. Chaeyoung just looked at him and wondered. Why did he come to her? Does he finally got the ticket and about to ask the man beside her to change the seat?

“Can I borrow your money? I forgot to bring my wallet,” Jungkook shyly asked her.

Chaeyoung’s face was blushed. She was embarrassed by her own thought. She nodded and quickly took her wallet from her backpack while asking how much he wanted to borrow. Lucky she still had some cash to lend him. After he left, she buried her face in her backpack that she put on her lap. It was too embarrassing. Well, it’s such a shame for her to even expecting him to accompany her a long way to Seoul. They weren’t even a friend, to begin with. The reason he was there was also because of Jimin. She shouldn’t get her hope high. Besides, there was no way he could get the ticket since she just took the last one.

The bus finally moved. Chaeyoung kept ensuring herself this journey will be safe. But still, she won’t stop getting paranoid so that she decided to distract her mind. She took her phone and began a chat with Lisa. She was so busy chatting with Lisa that not make her realized someone was stood next to her.

“Excuse me,” said the man who looked like a college student. Chaeyoung looked up to him after she realized that man was talking to her. The man asked her whether she wanted to change seat with her. It’s a bit odd but it was unpolite if she didn’t respond. Why did this guy want to change seat with her? Did the person who sat next to him was a weirdo?

“Emm well… my seatmate is a girl and it seems like she is not comfortable sitting with a man so…,” said the man after he saw her being hesitant.

The reason didn’t sound odd and it’s a good thing for her. She preferred to sit next to a girl than a man. It’s not liked the old man next to her was a bad person, but still, it will be more comfortable if it was a woman. Chaeyoung agreed and gave her seat to that man.

While holding her big backpack, she was walking to the front row where the man’s original seat was. She saw an empty seat and quickly heading there. When she was about to sit down, she was so surprised by what she saw.

“What are you doing here?” asked Chaeyoung when he saw Jungkook was sitting there.

“Geez that Hyung,” Jungkook looked annoyed and shy when she saw her but he quickly got his cool back.

Once Chaeyoung took a seat, he explained how he got the ticket. That guy’s friend couldn’t make it so he bought it from him for half the price. He forgot his wallet so he borrowed some money from her. When they were sitting down, that guy offered to change seat with Chaeyoung. He said he saw them coming together so it must be more convenient if they were sitting together. Without him knowing, that guy already went and ask her. Chaeyoung nodded and showed a poker-faced expression although deep inside her heart she was incredibly happy and being grateful to that guy.

The travel time was 4 hours long. Both of them were busy thinking about what should they do in that 4 hours. Obviously, not spending it with chit-chatting. When they were in their own thought, the ringtone from Jungkook’s phone broke their silence.

“Hello. Oh, Hyung! Well… I am on my way to Seoul. Can you please tell Jimin that his sister is safe? Everything is fine. He doesn’t need to worry. I don’t want him to lose his focus. Yes. Yes. Please don’t tell the coach. Please say I have something important at home. Yeah. And can you ask Namjoon to pack my belonging and bring it with him? I will be back once I finished my business in Seoul. Yeah… Thanks, Hyung. I am counting on you,” Jungkook ended the phone call.

Although she didn’t intend to overhear the conversation, it’s hard for her to pretend not to hear it. Jungkook was on the Seoul Team just like Jimin which means they would have a final match today. Then why he was here with her? Dying in curiousness, Chaeyoung decided to ask it. He said he wasn’t part of the team. He chooses not to participate since he wanted to focus on his study. He only there as a mentor who gives moral supports. So, even if he wasn’t there for the match, it’s okay. Moreover, the reason he did all of this because he wanted to give his best to the team. Jimin was their key player. It’s not good if his focus got distracted. That’s why he agreed to help him and once she arrived safely at the interview venue, he will inform him through their manager.

It’s passed three hours since the bus departed. Jungkook opened his eyes as he felt his stomach was started to growling. He saw Chaeyoung was reading something on her phone and talk in a low voice that almost like a mouthing. Jungkook adjusted his sitting position to become more comfortable and it seems to made Chaeyoung realized he was awake. She looked at him to checked whether he was awake and after she found out, she continued to read the tips and tricks to pass an interview and practicing her answer.

Even if he still awakes, his eyes were still half-closed. He looked out of the window and wishing it could help him to go back to sleep. Sleeping could make the time go faster. Moreover, it was the perfect activity to endure his hunger.

“I am sorry for making you skip your breakfast. We already stopped by the rest area so, I think they won’t make any stop again,” said Chaeyoung while offered him a lunch box.

Jungkook took it and opened the lid. There were two rolls of kimbap, one egg roll, and fried sausage. He looked at it and suddenly remembered how Jimin complained about him eating his sister's food.

“I am not a great cook but don’t worry this one is edible,” said Chaeyoung after seeing Jungkook just stared at the food inside it.

Crap! Jungkook cursed inside his head. This girl indeed having a sixth sense. He turned his head to her, thanked her, and give a small bow. There were a chopstick and water bottle inside the eco bag she just handed after giving the lunch box. Staring at the food, he decided to try eating the kimbap first. His eyes widened as it’s unexpectedly tasted good. It’s far from his expectation. Lucky for him, Chaeyoung was busy minding her business so that she didn’t saw his reaction.

A full stomach created another effect. Sleepiness. After giving back the eco bag, Jungkook leaned on the bus’s seat and looking out the window. It’s a bed to sleep after eat but he couldn’t hold it. Last night he was having a chat with their manager discussing the potential player and ended up with the manager persuading him to continue his career as a football player. The coach and other managers wanted to recruit him to play in a professional league. Those talks made him stay awake until 2AM. Besides, he woke up so early today to help his Mom login into her email. The client just sent an important email and she should finish it by mid-day. She accidentally logged out and as usual, she kept forgetting her password.

It took less than 4 hours when they arrived in Seoul. The passengers were packing their back and prepared to get off on the terminal including Chaeyoung. She even became the first person who lines up in front of the bus’s door. Right after the driver opened the bus’s door she rushed over and quickly ran to the main street to catch a taxi. Jungkook who saw her was chuckling. When he was waiting for his turn to get out, the man who offered his ticket tapped his shoulder. The man gave him a wallet and said it seems like it belongs to his girlfriend. The man found it on the seat when he was checking on his belonging. Jungkook took the wallet, opened it, and saw the student card. It’s hers!

Jungkook quickly walked towards the exit while apologizing to the people who already waiting in the queue. Some of them were annoyed and some even cursed him. Well, since he never saw those people again so he didn’t pay any attention. Jungkook was running at full speed and in no time, he saw Chaeyoung was already got into a taxi. It’s impossible to catch her so he dialed her phone number while still running hope Chaeyoung would pick it.

Chaeyoung who got Jungkook’s call immediately sense something. If he called her right after she left, she must leave something on the bus. She then told the driver to pull off and about to answer the call while someone was knocking on the car’s door. Chaeyoung opened the door and Jungkook came in. He told the driver to go. Jungkook was panting really hard so that Chaeyoung waited for him to catch his normal breathing pace. She offered a water bottle and Jungkook gladly took it and drank half of it. Once he got calm, he handed the wallet and told the history behind it. She was surprised and thanked him for returning it to her. She might be in trouble if he didn’t catch her.

The traffic in Seoul was no joke. It’s Saturday but the traffic jam was anywhere. Chaeyoung saw the clock. It’s already 12.15 and her interview was at 1.30 PM but she should be there at 1 PM as the invitation said. Looking at the traffic application, she will arrive in 30 minutes due to the traffic. Although she still had some time, it’s still not enough. She had to change her clothes and fix her make up. Looking sloppy and late in the interview will affect her impression, reduce her point and lessen the chance to get the scholarship. She had no choice but to use the time as efficiently as possible. She opened her bag and took out the white shirt, blazer and skirt.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Jungkook asked Chaeyoung as she started to take off her clothes started from her coat.

“Changing clothes,” Chaeyoung replied casually.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!” Jungkook got so shocked when he heard it. This girl was insane. How could she change her clothes when there were two men and lots of eyes outside this taxi?

Chaeyoung seemed not surprised and said she had to do it or she will be late. Jungkook still couldn’t believe it. He understood her situation but still how could she recklessly do something like that. It must be okay for her but not for him. He couldn’t explain it but he felt strange and somewhat uneasy about having a girl changing her clothes next to him.

It seems like Jungkook’s yell won’t stop her. She continued to take off her clothes one by one. Jungkook’s got so red because of embarrassment and frustration. They said people tend to get a brilliant ideas when they under pressure and it was what happened to Jungkook. He immediately took off his jacket and tied the sleeve to the handgrip and asked Chaeyoung to tie another sleeve on her side. So that it became a temporary curtain between the front and back seat. Chaeyoung then did the same thing with the window while Jungkook made the curtain between them.

“Tell me once you finished,” said Jungkook then moved his head to face the window although he already made the curtain to separate them by using his sweater.

Chaeyoung felt a bit touched with his action although it’s not necessary. She wore a t-shirt underneath so she wasn’t worried about changing clothes inside the taxi. But, maybe it’s too much for Jungkook. He might think it’s impropriated and unpolite. If she thinks about it again, it might sounds impropriate. She suddenly got shy and quickly changed her clothes. Once she finished, she untied the jacket as a signal she had finished instead of telling him. That way was less embarrassing.

They were just half kilometers away from the building, but because of the traffic, it will take around 10 to 15 minutes. Chaeyoung started to feel anxious that showed by stomping her feet and continuously looking at her watch.

“It’s not working. I should run,” she said out loud without her realized it. After thinking for a while, she decided it was better if she runs to the building. That way was faster. But there was one problem. Her big backpack. It will be too heavy and will hinder her from running.

“Jungkook, I am really sorry but I desperately need your help. I gotta run to the building, so can you please keep my backpack? Once you arrived at the building, just put it on the receptionist's desk. I will get it later after I finish. I just gonna take what I need for the interview. Please pay for the taxi too. My wallet is here,” said Chaeyoung while handing her backpack to him.

Even before Jungkook said something to respond to her, she already opened the car door and running away. The driver who saw it got surprised and asked Jungkook what’s happen. Jungkook explained to him briefly and it made him laughed but then praised Chaeyoung for her strong will. He then wished her so that she could pass the interview and got the scholarship.

Thirty minutes had passed since the interview time. Chaeyoung got out of the interview room with a gloomy face. She kept thinking about the question and her answers then can’t stop regretting her answer. I shouldn't say it but why I say it? Why did I say that? Aaaakkk… that thought kept on repeating on her mind until she reached the receptionist desk. She should maintain her image and back to her elegant self. The receptionist was smiling when Chaeyoung asked whether someone leave something for her. Instead of replying, that mid-twenty woman was pointing at something in the lobby. Chaeyoung followed her hand and saw Jungkook was there. The woman then said he had been there for thirty minutes. He asked her if the girl named Park Chaeyoung asking for her backpack was with him.

Chaeyoung thanked her then quickly went to the lobby where Jungkook was waiting.

“Hey. I am sorry to keep you waiting. Really, you can just leave it in the receptionist,” Chaeyoung felt guilty to make him wait for too long.

“Don’t mind. I can’t go home anyway since I don’t bring my wallet,” Jungkook quickly make it clear before there was a misunderstanding.

Chaeyoung nodded and it made her even more guilty. As an apology and gratitude, she wanted to treat him for lunch. Jungkook agreed since he was so freaking hungry. She was glad and lead them to the restaurant in that building. This place seems expensive but it was the nearest restaurant. She didn’t want to make him starving after helping all the way here. Besides, comparing to his help, this price was nothing.

After ordered their menu and waiting for it to be served, they just sitting face to face in silence. Spending time together for almost 6 hours made them used to this situation and didn’t feel awkward anymore.

Chaeyoung’s phone was vibrating and it made them instinctively looking at it. It’s an incoming call from My Love. Jungkook quickly put his eyes away because he felt impolite for looking at people's phones. With the brightest smile, Chaeyoung picked the call. She then told the caller what happened to her during the interview. Although Jungkook was busy with his own phone, he still could hear her. It seems like she bombed her interview because she didn’t want to talk about it again. Their phone call finally ended when the food comes.

Without waiting any longer, Jungkook eats his long-awaited food. Unlike Jungkook, Chaeyoung endured the joy for a bit by taking pictures then began to eat it. They enjoyed the food silently and only the sound of slurping, munching, and gulping was heard from that table. They don’t bother to talk because they are already used to this awkward silent situation. They almost finished their meal when Chaeyoung’s phone was vibrating again. She picked the call while still munching on her food.

“Hey, Mister Kiiim!! What? No, I didn’t plan it beforehand. I am here for lunch after my interview. Hmm… so far so good. I love it and it should be put on our list. Next week after the session ends? Hahaha okay okay. Hmmm, see you,” a smile still hanging on her face even when she already the phone call.

Jungkook heard her conversation and knew it was Taehyung. Mister Kim and Miss Park. That’s how they call each other. He had no idea how close they were, but judging from how they already had nicknames for each other means they were pretty close. Actually, Jungkook didn’t want to meddle with their relationship but after he saw how she talk with My Love which most likely to be her boyfriend made him feel bothered.

It still not clear whether Taehyung was only like her as a friend or not. Taehyung kept mentioned her name especially on Monday where they usually had a “date” on Saturday or Sunday. He also always sat next to her during their study group session. Not to mention how he always call her his soulmate, and the suspicious statement from Mingyu who said the price of Chaeyoung’s payment as their tutor was Kim Taehyung made Jungkook thought Taehyung might have a crush on her or the otherwise.

“Have you finished?” Chaeyoung asked and it made Jungkook coming back from his deep thought. He nodded and they left the table and went to the cashier. Chaeyoung already had a prior appointment so that she should leave. Jungkook also said he already booked a train ticket so he should be there as soon as possible or he will miss the train. After she made the payment, she quickly heading to the nearest ATM to withdraw some cash. She asked Jungkook how much he needs and after she handed the money, they were walking together to the nearest subway station.

“Thank you for today. You help me a lot. And… Thank you so much for helping Jimin. Please take care of my brother,” Chaeyoung bowed politely.

Jungkook responded with a bow. She smiled then bowed once again then after excuse herself, she was walked down the stair to the subway station while Jungkook called a taxi. Once he got into a taxi, he took his phone out and began to type a message.

“Hyung, please tell Jimin, his sister had just finished the interview and she did great. He doesn’t need to worry. Now, just focus solely to win the match.”

***

“Good afternoon!” greeted the nurse who sat on the receptionist desk.

Jaehyun was smiling showing his deep dimples and greeted her back. He stopped briefly and asked about the patient in room 127. The nurse type something on her computer and said the patient was present. He thanked her and with a bright smile heading towards that room he mentioned.

As usual, this treatment center was quiet as it was supposed to be. The white wall decorated with some cute mural can clearly tell this place was built especially for kids. Seasons changed but this place was still the same, even its smell. He frequently came to this place but strangely he was still not used to its smell. This smell always felt so strong as if he just came here for the first time. He disliked it but he missed it.

After walking through a long corridor, he arrived at the room with a 127 sign on the door. He was peeping through the small window on the door while knocking on it. There was no answer so he quietly opened it and came inside. It’s empty and it made him wonder whether it’s the time when the occupant went to do the treatment.

A smile bloomed on his lips when he saw a vague reflection on the window.

“Oh, it seems like she is not here? Well… Lucky for me, I will eat all the cake!” he purposely said it out loud to tease the owner of the reflection who sneakily stood behind him.

“WHAT? NO!” shouted the little girl as she saw what on his hand.

Jaehyun turned around and smiled when he looked at the pretty little girl who stood in front of him. He kneeled down then lift the box of cake that he bought to show her.

“Strawberry cheesecake for the birthday girl!” Jaehyun shook the box and handed it to Naeun. Naeun screamed happily while taking the small cake box from Jaehyun and quickly run over to her bed. Jaehyun followed her than help her set up the table.

After lighting up the candle and sang a birthday song, Jaehyun told Naeun to make a wish before blew the candle. She did as she told and proceed it quickly as she was so eager to eat the cake. Jaehyun pull out the candle and gave Naeun a fork so that she could eat it. Jaehyun was smiling seeing her eating the cake that he bought happily. Seeing this beautiful moment made him wanted to capture it into a photo. He took his phone and told Naeun to pose for the camera. She was smiling at the camera while holding the fork near her small lips.

“Oppa, do you want some?” Naeun finally offering Jaehyun after realized she forgot to offer it.

Jaehyun shook his head and said Naeun could eat it all and it made her extremely happy. When she was eating, Jaehyun handed a small paper bag to her and said it was his present. She smiled, received it, and put it beside her.

“Won’t you open it?” Jaehyun was a bit disappointed because she didn’t look excited.

“I will. Later. After I finish it,” she showed a cute smile that wipes his disappointment away. He chuckled then nodded.

While Naeun was eating, Jaehyun video called his grandma and the three of them were having a warm and cute birthday call. His Grandma didn’t have a granddaughter so that she adored Naeun so much as if she was her true granddaughter. Hearing today was Naeun’s birthday, she excitedly baking lots of cookies since early morning as her birthday gifts. Jaehyun helped her making those cakes so that he couldn’t join the rest of the volunteers to celebrate her birthday. Sadly, his Grandma had another appointment so that she couldn’t come to give it to Naeun personally.

The call ended at the same time as Naeun cleaned her plate. They then moved to the next schedule. Unboxing the gifts. Naeun brought the paper bag Jaehyun gave her then walked towards the table where she puts all the gifts she received. As her favorite older brother, Jaehyun got the privilege to got his present opened first.

“A bracelet?” Naeun took the bracelet out of its box.

Jaehyun then showed his wrist to her. Naeun looked at the bracelet that he wore and in a few seconds, she was surprised. Jaehyun smiled widely and said it was the bracelet she made around a year ago. She curiously asked how did he have it. He then told her it was a present he got when he helped the Blackpink Unnies did the volunteer work. Jaehyun then showed his other wrist. Naeyun looked at it but she seems to not get what Jaehyun wanted to show. Seeing a clueless expression on her face, he then took the bracelet he gave to her and put it on his wrist. He then explained it was a matching bracelet. There was no other bracelet like that. It came in pair. After hearing it she was smiling happily and immediately asked Jaehyun to put it on her.

“Are you sure there is no other one? Even Chaeyoung unnie doesn’t have it?” Naeun asked him curiously.

Jaehyun laughed at her question and ensure her it was true. Hearing Jaehyun’s confirmation made her smiling widely and continued unboxing the other gift. Seeing her looking like she just won a battle, made Jaehyun chuckled. Those two seem like they didn’t have a good relationship. For some unknown reason, Naeun was having a strong sense of rivalry against Chaeyoung. It’s gotten worse because Chaeyoung loved to . He didn’t know when it started but it seems like they were like that even before he knew them.

“Woah, it’s so pretty,” Naeun lifted a pink dress. Her eyes were sparkling and quickly stood up and ran towards the mirror to look at it.

Seeing how excited she was, Jaehyun suddenly got an idea. He asked her whether she wanted to put that dress on when they went to give away the cookies Grandma bake for her to the other patients. She turned her head from the mirror to Jaehyun with a big smile but slowly her smile was faded away as she looked at the mirror again. Jaehyun could smell something was off with her expression. She stared at the mirror again and unconsciously touch her head. She stared at the mirror once again and with a gloomy face, she walked back to the sofa.

“I don’t think it would look pretty on me,” she said in a sad voice.

Hearing her saying it made his heart hurt. It’s so painful to hear especially with what he just witnessed. She might not confident because of her hair. Recently, her condition had gotten worse that made her need to receive intensive treatment and that treatment caused her to lost her hair.

“Who says? Naeun is pretty. No matter what clothes you wear, it will look good,” Jaehyun tried to lift her mood up.

She smiled and said she will wear it another time. It’s more painful looking at her smile. How could this child be so mature even when she was still six years old? Life was unfair. This reality was too cruel for that kind and innocent girl.

“Okay. Maybe next time. Now, let’s continued to open another gift,” Jaehyun respected her decision and decided to move on and tried to not talking about that dress again.

In the middle of unboxing, someone knocked on the door. Both Jaehyun and Naeyung turned their head to the door. A few seconds later, it stopped and no one came in. They thought they heard it wrong and continued to what they were doing.

“UNNIE IS HERE!!! NAEUN HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!” the door suddenly opened and Chaeyoung rushed in. Her sudden entrance made Jaehyun and Naeun startled.

Without feeling guilty for making them surprised, Chaeyoung quickly run over to Naeun and gave her the warmest hug. It so warm that made Jaehyun questioned her why she dressed like that, a thick jacket and thick scarf. Chaeyoung laughed and said the weather forecast said tonight will be the coldest night in Seoul.

Chaeyoung took a seat next to Naeun, apologized for not be able to attend the party, and asked her about the party and the gift she just opened.

“Oh, isn’t that the dress from Jennie Unnie? Woah so pretty! Naeun, let’s try it on!!” the pink dress that Naeun about to put into the box back caught Chaeyoung’s attention.

As expected, Naeun refuses it. Chaeyoung was surprised and kept persuading her to wear it. Their little argument put Jaehyun’s guard up. He tried his best to send a code to Chaeyoung with his eyes to warn her to not force Naeun to wear it but she didn’t notice it.

“Don’t tell me…,” Chaeyoung stopped the argument and suddenly giggling. Her suspicious act made Naeun and Jaehyun curious. She then looked at Naeun and Jaehyun consecutively and continued to giggle. Naeun couldn’t hold her curiosity and asked her what she was laughing for. Chaeyoung leaned her head close to Naeun whispering something in her ear.

“NO WAY! I CAN WEAR IT MYSELF!” Naeun suddenly talked in a loud voice that made Jaehyun surprised and Chaeyoung laughed out loud.

“Really? Are you sure you are not lying? Just admit it, you can’t ask Jaehyun for help so you say you don’t want to wear it,” lucky for Jaehyun he didn’t have a weak heart because what Chaeyoung was said really surprising. He couldn’t believe she just making fun of a girl ten years younger than her.

What Chaeyoung said was hurting Naeun’s pride that made her grab the dress and walked to the toilet. After she closed the door, Chaeyoung took her gift, walked to the toilet, and knocked on the door.

“You sure you don’t need my help?” Chaeyoung again.

“NO! I CAN DO IT MY SELF!” Naeun shouted that made Chaeyoung laughed. She knocked on the door again but this time, Naeun opened it. Before Naeun said something, Chaeyoung handed her a gift and said it will make her even prettier. Naeun took it and closed the door again.

“UNNIE! HELP ME!” Naeun called Chaeyoung that once again made Jaehyun surprised. This incident made him wonder, whether what Chaeyoung said was true. It’s not Naeun was lacking confidence due to her hair but because she couldn’t put on the dress! He felt embarrassed because he just overthinking and misjudging Naeyun.

A sound of clicked door was heard and both of the girls were coming out. Chaeyoung quickly walked to Jaehyun and asked him to take a picture of Naeun. Jaehyun showed a bright smile when she was looking at Naeun and didn’t forget to compliment her look. After taking her solo pictorial, he then taking pictures of Chaeyoung and Naeun then finally picture of them together.

Since Chaeyoung had to practice with other kids for the musical, she had to leave first and won’t be able to join them to give away the cookies. Before she left, Naeun thanked her once again for her gift.

“Thinking about it again, I regret it to make you wear that dress,” teased Chaeyoung while kneeled down to adjusted her eye level with Naeun.

“Why??” both Jaehyun and Naeun asked at the same time.

“Because you look prettier than me. It made me jealous,” said Chaeyoung while took a glance at Jaehyun who sharply glared at her.

“HAHAHA just kidding. I am so happy you like my gift. If you want to learn how to braid your hair, don’t hesitate to call me,” Chaeyoung smiled and pat her head. She stood up and said goodbye to both of them.

After she left, Naeun quickly took the plastic bag full of cookies that Jaehyun brought. Jaehyun quickly took it away from her hands because it was too heavy for her. Naeun then told Jaehyun to quickly proceed with their next schedule which was giving out the cookie. Seeing how she changed and became more cheerful and energetic made Jaehyun happy and touched at the same time.

The kids who received the cookies were so happy. They congratulate Naeun, wish for her rapid recovery, and also compliment how pretty she was and it couldn’t fail to make her happy. Some of the kids already knew her but most of them never saw her before. Naeun was so friendly and it made it easier for them to become a friend. After she handed the cookies, they will talk for a bit and took a picture together. Before she left, they naturally encouraged and prayed for each other. It was such a beautiful scene to see. It made Jaehyun wonder, whether the adult had that much sincerity when they congratulate or wish their best for others.

After giving out the cookies to the patients, nurses, and doctors, they were heading back to Naeun’s room. Once they were back, Naeun asked Jaehyun to see the picture he took. She tried to remember their name one by one. After they were taking the picture, Jaehyun quickly renames the file into their name so that when she forgot, Jaehyun will read their name for her.

While Naeun was playing with his phone, Jaehyun took a glass of water for her. She must be tired and thirsty after going around handing the cookies. Naeun drank it in one shot and gave the glass back to Jaehyun. When he put the empty glass on the desk, he saw there was one bag of cookies left. He told Naeun about it and she said she saves it for Chaeyoung.

“So, you don’t hate her anymore?” Jaehyun teased Naeun.

“I never hate her. I just dislike her,” said Naeun.

“It’s not good to dislike a person. Would you tell me the reason why?” Jaehyun was still curious about this mystery. From the way she behaved around Chaeyoung, he could tell Naeun like her so much. Strangely, she always said she didn’t like Chaeyoung.

“Because… she is pretty… and kind,” she pouted when she said it.

“But you are also pretty and kind. Don’t you hear what your friends say about you earlier?” Jaehyun tried to comfort her.

She was still sad and continued to say the thing she hates about Chaeyoung but it sounds more like a compliment. Jaehyun listened to her carefully. After she finished, Jaehyun smiled and started to compliment her. He knew she envied Chaeyoung, but she also had to learn to love herself more. So that he listed all the good things she had. He had to be very careful with his words and trying to avoid comparing them with others. It’s a bad thing when he started to compare what she had with others. Especially when she was still young. This comparing mindset might be planted on her mind if he wasn't careful.

Someone knocked on the door and not long, the door opened. It’ Chaeyoung. She already finished the practice and came to visit Naeun again. Naeun got down from the sofa, walked to the desk to take the cookies then gave them to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung received it happily.

“Thank you. I will eat it well. Anyway, what’s that? It’s so pretty,” said Chaeyoung when she saw a bracelet on Naeun’s wrist while she handed the cookie.

Naeun smiled and bragged about the present she got from Jaehyun. Chaeyoung made a sad face and said she really envy Naeun. She jokingly asked to buy it from her but she refused it directly. The bracelet was not for sale because there was only one in the world. Moreover, it’s a gift from Jaehyun so she won’t sell it.

When they were busy bickering, Naeun’s Mom came together with the nurse. She just got back from work and it’s time for Naeun’s treatment. Seeing her guardian was there, Jaehyun and Chaeyoung excuse themselves and said goodbye to Naeun and her Mom.

“Ah, I am so hungry. Hey, let’s go eat something. Hmm… I think sujebi is good. What do you think?” asked Chaeyoung when they were outside of the building. Without they realized it was already time for dinner.

“Why should I? Don’t you like it better if you eat with Taehyung? Since you two are soulmates and when it comes to food,” Jaehyun replied her question with a cynical voice.

“What’s with that response. Are you being jealous now?” she didn’t expect Jaehyun would give such a cynical response that made her stopped walking.

“What if I am?” Jaehyun glared at her and It made her felt guilty. Jaehyun was right, ever since she agreed to become their tutor, she kept hanging out with Taehyun whenever she had time. But that wasn’t the sole reason. Jaehyun and Lisa were so busy with musical practice so that she rarely asked them to hang out.

“I am sorry. You are so busy these days and I need to keep my promise with Taehyung so… Yeah… I am sorry. I don’t have any reason to defend myself. Anyway, I am starving right now I don’t think I can endure this hunger. It will be lonely if I eat alone. Don’t you pity me? Eung?” she apologized but still trying to persuade Jaehyun to not get mad.

“Stop with that aegyo,” Jaehyun showed a disgusting face but it made Chaeyoung smile. She purposely did it that made Jaehyun gave up and said he will go with her but she should stop. With a winning smile, she walked quickly towards the Sujebi restaurant near the treatment center.

As expected, Chaeyoung’s choice never disappointing. Both of their faces had the same color as the sujebi soup now. It’s winter but they kept wiping their sweat. Thanks to the spiciness and the hot soup. The sweat session finally over as they slurping the last drip of the soup and calmed their stomach with cold tea. When they were sitting still to digest their food, Jaehyun was asking her about her interview. She showed a grimacing face as she didn’t want to recall that memory. Since Jaehyun was still curious she only talked about it briefly and quickly changed the topic to their trivial daily life story.

It’s almost time they left the restaurant. There was no specific duration about how long they should spend to digest their food. It’s just come naturally. The feeling that told them, it’s time to leave. Both of them then put the money in the middle of the table then began to play rock paper scissors. The loser should go to the cashier to pay. Chaeyoung loses so she was heading to the cashier first to pay for their bill while Jaehyun was walking outside.

On their way to the bus station, Jaehyun talked about how great Chaeyoung was to persuade Naeun to wear the dress. It’s amazing but also surprising as her method was unexpected. Chaeyoung laughed out loud and said she learned it from experience. She had been an older sister for seventeen years so she knew very well how to persuade a kid. Jaehyun also laughed as he heard it. She was indeed so dependable.

Talking about Naeun reminded him of his concern regarding her confidence. He wanted to help her grow her confidence and made her love herself as she was. With or without hair, she was pretty. It’s not always about physical appearance, but also inner beauty. It’s so painful seeing her being unconfident just because she lost her hair. After hearing his concern, Chaeyoung said she agreed with Jaehyun’s thought. It was indeed so important especially when she was still young. It’s necessary to teach her about it. She also compliments him because if people didn’t know about them, they might think Jaehyun was Naeun’s real brother.

Knowing that she agreed with his thought but she was the one who gave Naeun a wig seems a bit contradictive. So that he questioned it.

“Do you ever try a bald hairstyle? Or do you ever go to school wearing not ironed uniform?” Chaeyoung asked Jaehyun instead of answering his question. Jaehyun shook his head to answer her random question.

Chaeyoung smiled and said it’s natural for people to want to look pretty. They always wanted to match their look with their occasion. Besides clothes, hair was the one they can style to match it. Since hair was the only part of their body that they change easily. That’s how important hair was to their looks. If you look pretty it can boost your confidence. That was also why people put on makeup or even do plastic surgery.

“If you ask me why I give her a wig, then my answer is simple. I want to make her happy. Having cancer is already depressing enough and now she should lose her hair. Even adults have a hard time accepting it. Put aside a patient, even normal people didn’t want to shave their head, right?” her answer made Jaehyun realized he didn’t give a thought on that aspect. He tried to put himself in their shoes and questioning himself whether he would be strong and confident enough if he didn’t have hair. A sudden chill suddenly grows as he imagined himself going bald. It’s scary even in imagination.

As they talked about hair, they were arrived at the bus station and took a seat on the bench. Seeing how Jaehyun suddenly became quiet made Chaeyoung feel a bit guilty. She was afraid Jaehyun would blame himself for not thinking about it. She knew what’s going on in Jaehyun’s mind and heart because it was what she felt around 2 years ago when Dara unnie gave the patient a wig. She smiled when looking at Jaehyun as she reminiscence how innocent she was back then.

“I already read lots of books, quotes, lyrics, watch movies, that encourages us to be confident and to love ourselves. Ironically, even if I already know about all those things, sometimes there is a time when I lost my confidence. Anyway, it’s random but I suddenly remember how Seokjin Oppa was crying all night long because the discipline teacher was giving him a bowl cut hairstyle as a punishment for having hair longer than the rules permitted,” Chaeyoung was laughing when she recalled that epic moment.

Jaehyun was also laughing when he imagined Jin was crying. It’s unexpected because that Hyung was so confident about his looks. Even for people like him, going bald was also a nightmare.

“Well, I guess, confidence is something that can’t be achieved in one night. It’s a process. Being older also not a guarantee of having more confidence. Honestly, I am not sure If I have that much confidence if I were in Naeun position. I might be too embarrassed to meet my friend and might just want to lock myself in my room. She is only 7 years old girl but I respect her so much,” she said sadly.

This deep talk suddenly made them go silent as they were busy reflecting on themselves. What Chaeyoung said was true and Jaehyun totally agrees with it. Talking about hair made Jaehyun remembered the time they were playing the flex game. Chaeyoung said she never has short hair since she was a kid. Well, that’s explained well why she said she might be not confident if she was Naeun. She must treasure it so much that even made her couldn’t imagine living without it.

Jaehyun turned his head to looked at Chaeyoung who sat next to him. This girl was amazing. She never failed to surprise him and it made him adore her more. While he was staring at her, he slowly realized something. His heart suddenly beating so fast and the blood runs faster to his face that made it got red but he couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

Chaeyoung could felt she was being stared so that she turned her head to look at Jaehyun. They were looking at each other eyes without saying anything. Without cutting the eye contact, Jaehyun lifted his hand and landed it on top of Chaeyoung’s head. Chaeyoung suddenly blushed at his sudden action and somehow it made her nervous. As he was her head, his hand slowly went down until it reached her hair tie then he slowly pulled it letting her hair down.

Both Jaehyun and Chaeyoung couldn’t move as if they were frozen by the cold air. Their hearts were running, their breathing was getting faster and their faces were getting redder and warmer yet they still looking at each other without even blinking. It felt weird. They both never had this kind of feeling before.

That heart throbbing moment suddenly cut off as the bus came. They quickly looked away and suddenly the situation became so awkward. Chaeyoung got on the bus and followed by Jaehyun. She chose the very back seat and Jaehyun sat next to her. Never in the past year they were getting uncomfortable and felt like they were sitting too close to each other. Although they were aware they were acting strange they decided to not talking about it and chose to keep silent.

It’s been a few minutes since they ride on the bus but Chaeyoung already yawning countless times. Riding on the bus and the full stomach triggered her sleepiness. Jaehyun asked her why she kept yawning and she said she woke up early to catch the first train. Jaehyun nodded and remembered she told him earlier the reason she couldn’t make it into Naeun’s birthday party was that she had to go to Daegu to deliver Jimin’s uniform.

“Then take a short sleep. I’ll wake you up when we arrived,” Jaehyun pitied her especially after he saw black circles under her eyes.

“Sounds good, then, I will rent your shoulder,” Chaeyoung decided to act casually again around him. She might sound natural but deep inside, she was embarrassed. Renting Jaehyun’s shoulder was something that she usually did whenever she wanted to sleep on the bus or train. She was afraid if she didn’t say it, Jaehyun might notice she was getting uncomfortable because of what happened earlier.

“Okay, don’t forget to pay for the rent,” Jaehyun also decided to do the same although he couldn’t hide his burning ears.

The bus almost reached their destination. Jaehyun gently shook Chaeyoung’s arms to wake her up. Chaeyoung opened her eyes and blinking fast to adapting. She was yawning while looking outside the window. They almost arrived at their destination. Once the bus stop, they were quickly got out of the bus. The temperature had going down as the nightfall. The cold air made them lazy to opened any conversation and walked faster. In no time they arrived at the park and if they turned right on the intersection, they will arrive in Chaeyoung’s apartment.

Like a twin sibling who rumored to don’t have to use a word to understand each other, Jaehyun and Chaeyoung were slowing down their speed as they were reached the intersection. The cold air might make them wanted to get home quickly but at the same time, they still it’s a waste if they just go home like that. Somehow, they wanted to talk more.

Jaehyun wanted to start a conversation but he was afraid it will become long and they will end up going to a café. Chaeyoung was having a long day and she was lacking sleep so that he decided not doing it. On the other hand, Chaeyoung felt the same thing as Jaehyun but for a different reason. Today's weather forecast said it will become one of the coldest days in Seoul. It’s not good for Jaehyun and she wanted him to go home early and rest.

They stopped walking as they were finally stood in front of the apartment building.

“Chaeyounga,”

“Eung?”

“Thank you,”

“For what?”

“I know it’s not me who got the present but, thank you for giving her your hair. She is so happy and can’t take her eyes off of the mirror,”

“You are welcome! I’m so happy she likes it,”

They were smiling at each other and suddenly the awkwardness came back again that made them decided to say goodbye to each other.

“Then… See you later,” this time Chaeyoung was the one who said goodbye first.

“Yeah. See you,”

After the wave to her, he turned his back heading to the bus station.

“One, two, three, four, five, six…” as soon as he turned his back, he started to count his steps. Right after its reach the six-count, he stopped.

“Jaehyuna!” Jaehyun smiled when he heard his name got called. He didn’t know whether she realized it or not but, she always called him after six counts he turned his back away from her.

Unlike usual, where she just stood on the stair of the entrances, this time she came over to him.

“My hair tie,” she reached out her hands to asked him to return her hair tie back.

Jaehyun took the hair tie from his pocket and hold it above her hands but then he put it back into his pocket.

“I am not giving it back,” he said while looking so serious.

“Why???” Chaeyoung was confused at his answer.

“Because it’s pretty,” the blood once again rushed to Jaehyun’s face that made him all red as he said it. He took his eyes away from her as he couldn’t stand her stare.

“Hahaha… What? So, do you like it?” Chaeyoung was surprised because Jaehyun likes her hair tie.

“Eung, I like it. Not the hair tie. I... I like you…,”

***