The Reason Why He Changed

Excuse Me?

“Woah, how could they change drastically??? I am very proud,” said Jungkook while watching his juniors practice really hard.

“Well, we have no choice but to give them a present to appreciate their hard work,” Jaehyun also looked like a proud dad.

After Jungkook announced the team members who will compete on the first preliminary round were consist of all juniors, they unconsciously practice harder than usual without being told. If they lose that match, automatically the seniors won’t have any chance to fight for the trophy. It was a risky decision, but, considering the result of senior’s observation of their skills and analysis of their opponent, they have 80% chance to win this match.

There was a tradition in soccer team. Before the match, the representative of the team will visit the opponent team. The purpose of this meeting were to tighten the relationship between two teams and also discussed something that necessary. Mingyu, Dokyeom and Taehyung were chosen for this job. Jungkook can’t come since he should be at school to watch the practice. The school rule said the head of the team should present whenever they practice overtime.

The opponent team welcomed Mingyu, Dokyeom and Taehyung warmly. They talked about their upcoming match and promise to play fairly. The vice captain of their opponent team bring them to have a tour around their school. He proudly said that most of the students in his school were fans of the soccer team. They never absent to attend the match. They even had the cheerleaders to cheers for them in every match.

“It was nice to have a cheerleaders team to support you guys,” Dokyeom responded to the vice captain.

“Well yeah. Our cheerleaders team are very pretty. Most of our opponent team were envy us. You guys from boys high school, right? It such a pity you don’t have a cheerleader team,” the vice captain felt sorry towards them.

“Don’t get us wrong. We also had a cheerleader team. They even prettier then yours while they got a little make over. You can also flirt with them. They are so nice,” Mingyu respond to him seriously.

“Ha.ha.ha don’t tell me, you got your friends cross dressing? Oh my God, I can’t wait to see it,” he laughed at Mingyu’s jokes.

“Anyway, thank you so much to welcomed us here. We are very anticipating our match. Then, excuse us,” Mingyu shook hands with the vice captain and excuse he and his friends.

Those three were walked home. They decided to stop by the convenient store near the Mr. Coffee, the cafe in their school neighbourhood. They bought some snacks and thanks to Chef Mingyu ability, he upgrade the ordinary snack into more fancy snack. They were waiting hungrily in front of the microwave who were works hard to melt the cheese with it’s electromagnetic radiation.

“You know, I got a little bit offended when he talked about their abundance supporters and their pretty cheerleader team. I know he just tease us, but why did I got pissed,” Dokyeom were talked about their conversation earlier with the vice captain.

“Well, it’s a fact, though. We don’t have a pretty cheerleader and our schoolmate usually won’t come to cheer us in the preliminary round. They only fill the stadium on quarter final and final match,” Taehyung respond to Dokyeom without taking his eyes off of the microwave.

“Looking at our juniors who practice hard for their first match, I feel so pity towards them. It would be nice to have a lot of supporters. That way, they could get fired up and can feel the joyment of the match,” said Mingyu while took out the home made pizza from the microwave after the beep sounds was heard.

They walked outside and looking for a seat. There were three chairs on the corner, but unfortunately the girl who just paid for her goods occupied it first. They were one step behind because they need to wait for Chef Kim to gave the final touch of his fancy dish. They just stood there, waiting for the girl to finished her meal. It will be awkward for them to shared a table. It didn’t took so long while the girl stood up and left her seat. Those three quickly walked towards those empty seat.

“What a cute hoodie. I want one like that,” Taehyung commented on that girl hoodie.

“I wonder whether she was pretty,” Dokyeom added.

They began to devour their meals. They finished it in a second.

“Hey, Mingyu, you have a lot of female fans, right? Why don’t you ask them to come to watch our match? And perhaps, one of them are a member of cheerleader team. Maybe you can ask them for help to cheer for us? Well, at least for the first match,” Dokyeom was excited with his own idea.

“Most of them were older than me. They were college student or 3rd grade students. Beside, I don’t save their number. But, I will try to persuade them to come,” Mingyu accept Dokyeom idea.

“Kyeom, isn’t she Nayeon? The girl who Jungkook lent his shirt to?” Taehyung asked while his belly, felt so full.

“Where? Where?” Dokyeom looking around searching for the girl Taehyung mentioned.

“Here,” Taehyung point out a picture on the brochure in front of him.

“Wow! You were right! Well, I have an idea. I bet this is the most brilliant idea you have ever heard!” Dokyeom smiled brightly.

“I think I know what kind of thought you have in your brain. God blessed anybody who left this brochure here,” Taehyung gave a hint smile towards Dokyeom.

“Anyone, mind to explain it to me?” Taehyung and Dokyeom left Mingyu in confusion.

***

The team were having a meeting in the changing room. Today, Jungkook role wasn’t as a captain, but as a coach. Namjoon was choosen as the juniors team captain. All the seniors were visit the changing room and gave a support for their juniors. Only Dokyeom and Taehyung who were nowhere to be seen. Mingyu said, they have an important jobs to do.

Finally, it’s time to start the match. They did a chant and nervously walked towards the field. The juniors team were very surprised while they heard the tremendous cheers while they showed up in the field. The supporters bench were almost full with their schoolmates. And the things that catch their attention was the present of the pretty girls dressed in cheerleader uniform. They looked amazed. Not only the juniors, but most of the seniors who just got out from the changing room were amazed.

“How are our job? Isn’t it great?” Dokyeom and Taehyung who were vanished earlier now making their appearence.

“How could you gather all of this people?” Jaehyun asked curiously.

“It’s a secret. Only me and Dokyeom who know about it,” Taehyung answer proudly.

“We want to give a present for our hardworking juniors. You can thanks us later, Captain. And, since this is for the sake of our warriors, I hope for your understanding,” Dokyeom smiled naughtily.

“I smelled something fishy. But, let’s save it for later, now focus on the match,” Jungkook were back to his professional coach mode.

The match were running so slow in the first 15 minutes. Although they did their jobs very well, but they only focus on defense.

“GUYS, DON’T FOCUS TOO MUCH IN DEFENSE. WE WON’T WIN IF YOU DON’T DO THE COUNTER ATTACK! DINO! GO FOR THEIR RIGHT SIDE! MARK! ASSIST DINO!” Jungkook gave an advice from the side. Thanks to Jungkook neat direction and couraging advice, their play slowly getting alive.

In the injury time of the first half, Seungkwan tackling the opponent’s strikers too hard. The referee gave him a yellow card and gave the opponent the penalty gift. The stadium suddenly become so quiet in Jungkook’s team supporter area as the opponents was getting ready to kick. Suddenly the cheers become so loud as Namjoon successfully blocked the penalty kick. The supporters loudly chanting for Namjoon’s name. Namjoon’s performance also end the first half of the match.

The seniors were taking care of their juniors by gave them towels and drink. They played a role as manager, today. Some of the seniors gave a review on the team performance. The seniors and Namjoon also hold a meeting among them to discussed the next strategy. In the middle of the break time, Dokyeom was come. He wasn’t alone. He was come with a pretty girl.

“Sorry for interruptinf, but I have someone I’d like to introduce to you guys all!” Dokyeom please that girl to introduce herself.

“Hello, I am Lim Nayeon. Hmm, I know I am not your school student, but I come here with my friends to cheer you guys up! I hope you can win this match! Fighting!” Nayeon introduce herself to the team.

The team gave an applause to him and smiled brightly. Nayeon looked at Jungkook and waving her hand to him while their eyes met. Jungkook become awkward and forcing to show an awkward smile. She left the bench with Dokyeom and walked towards the supporters area.

The second half was started. Unlike the first half, this time, Namjoon’s team played more aggresively. They were went for full offense. Thanks to Mark and Jaemin assist, Dino could score 2 goals in a row. Finally, the long match has ended with the score 3-0 for Namjoon’s team. Jaemin managed to score the last goal in the last 10 minutes. Both team gathered in the middle of the field and bowed to each other.

The vice captain of the opponent team come over and greet Jungkook and his teammates. He met Dokyeom and they did a friendly hug.

“Woah, your cheerleaders team are indeed very pretty as you said,” he tease Dokyeom.

“Of course. We didn’t lie about it, right?” Dokyeom proud to showed him that he wasn’t lose when it comes to cheerleaders.

“How could you got them to cheer for you? They are absolutely not your school’s students,” the vice president were curious.

“Well, we have a big connection and affiliation. Beside, we were a neighbour, so, they were happily cheer for us,” Dokyeom suddenly turn into public relation manager mode.

The soccer team members were packing all of their belonging and getting ready to go home. They cleaned up the changing rooms and the stadium too. They were busy cleaned up the rubbish left by supporters. Mingyu walked towards Jungkook and told him, he has a guest. He told Jungkook to accompany the guest and left the chores to the rest of the members.

“Oh, he is here!” Dokyeom wave his hand to made Jungkook notice him. He smiled at Nayeon and run towards Jungkook.

“Hey, bro. She said she want to meet you because has something to tell you. Ah, and also, please treat her coffee, ice cream or something. I feel uneasy if I left her like that. She was happily accept my offers to bring her cheersleaders team to cheers for us,” Dokyeom half whispered afraid that someone might heard him.

“Why should I? You were the one on debt with her. Why did you ask me to pay her back?” Jungkook strongly refuse.

“Hey, I told you before, right? I wish for your understanding as a return for bring a lot of supporters. You were agree to presenting as much supporters as we can as a gift to our juniors hard work. Regarding the way I bring them. This is one of the price you should paid for. I know you always keep your promise,” Dokyeom persuade Jungkook.

“I never told you to bring her though. Alright, alright. I got it. But, I wish you won’t do something like this again. I also wish you discussed it first with us before you make a decision,” Jungkook didn’t want to got mad and ruin this happy atmosphere. He left Dokyeom and come towards Nayeon who was waiting for him.

“Hi! Well, congratulations for winning this match! You did a great job!” Nayeon reach out her hands.

“Thank you,” he reach her hand and shook it.

“Anyway, I forgot to bring you shirt. Next time, I will make sure to bring it and return it to you,” she looked apologetic.

“Never mind. It’s not urgent. Well, thank you for today. I didn’t expect you would come and cheer for the student from other school,” Jungkook thanked her.

“It’s okay. It’s my job as a cheerleader captain. So, what kind of price I will get for cheering for your team? Ice cream is okay for me,” Nayeon .

“Alright, let’s grab some ice cream, then,” Jungkook agreed with her. He looked back and saw Taehyung and Dokyeom were made a heart shape from the supporter bench. They were smiled happily. Jungkook gave them a murderer look. He swore he will scold them later for made this prank.

Jaehyun were curious looking at Taehyung and Dokyeom giggling non stop. He stood beside Taehyung and found out the source of their giggles.

“Hey, Taehyung. I think, you are suitable to be a policeman,” said Jaehyun.

“Why all of a sudden?” Taehyung was confused with Jaehyun random topic.

“You are great to finding people. You found Dino and Seungkwan when they were bullied. And now, you found out that Nayeon is the cheerleader captain,” Jaehyun explained .

“Hmm... it’s all just a coincidence though. I was bumped into someone in front of that alley. That’s why i notice it. And Nayeon, I was coincidently looked at the brochure,” Taehyung gave a detailed answer.

“Anyway, how could you gather so much supporter?” Jaehyun still curious.

“By promise them, we will lend Jungkook when they were lacking of manpower. He is great in any sports and other team would like to have him as their member. That’s why I told them. If they could bring half of their members, we will lend our Jungkook for 1 match,” Dokyeom answered.

Jaehyun was smiled bitterly. He should be prepared to face Jungkook’s anger if he found out about this.

***

Jungkook opened his locker. He felt relieved because there was no new gift box on it. Since the first match, his soccer team members were getting a lot of gift. Whether it was sent to their club room or directly into their locker. He didn’t receive as much as Mingyu or the others. But he got it regularly from the same girl. Sometimes, he received some anonymous gifts too. Beside of gift, there was also a post-it in his locker. He received that post-it once a week. He didn’t know who wrote it since it was anonym. But, he didn’t care. He just pretend he never saw it.

It’s already a two months since the first match. And during that time, he also got so many text from unknown number. Most of them were girls. At first, he replied to that number politely. But, as the gime goes by, he got annoyed by that text. He just left them unread. He delete the message thread even before he read it. He also block some of that number.

Jungkook sat on his desk. It’s still morning but he already felt so exhausted. He laid his head on his arm. Right before he closed his eyes, someone was put something on his desk. He looked up. It was Jeonghan.

“Our popular Captain. It seems like your locker not big enough to accomodate your abundance gift. I found it in my locker,” Jeonghan left that box on his desk then quickly return to his own desk. Jungkook read the mail which attached on it. He left out a heavy sigh then continue to sleep.

Taehyung woke him up before the lesson start. He also said that today, Dokyeom, Mingyu and Jaehyun will study together on Mr. Coffee after school for preparation of tomorrow Biology quiz. He nodded half heartedly because he still hasn’t get rid of sleepiness.

Jungkook had to do cleaning duty today, so he told the other to wait for him on the school gate. He finished his duty quickly then hurriedly rush over to his friends. Jungkook walked towards them. He saw someone familiar. It’s Nayeon. Nayeon smiled very brightly showing her cute bunny teeth. Jungkook as always showing his awkward smile. He walked towards them.

Nayeon said she was come near this area to tried a delicious waffle that Taehyung recommended. They told Nayeon they were going to study together on the cafe. They were separated and said goodbye to each other. Suddenly, Jungkook excuse himself and said he can’t join them. He had an important thing to do. His friends were smiling naughtily towards him but they didn’t said anything. Jungkook hastily went back to school.

He opened his locker and emptying it’s content. He put it into his bag and move it into big plastic bag which he found on club room. Then he walked towards the waffle house. He found her. He pull the chair in front of her and sat on it. She was startled by Jungkook sudden appearance. Jungkook can’t look into her eyes. He looked down and focus on the book that she read before he was come. She must be studying while eating. It looks like a notebook. She noticed that Jungkook was looking at her book. She quickly close the book. Jungkook looked at the cover. There was a big black rose on the cover. Jungkook suddenly felt embarrassed. He curse himself for looking at that book. Maybe those book was her diary or some book related to woman only.

He was so nervous. He took a deep breath and prepare for his heart. He finally brave enough to look into her eyes. He successfully said everything that he prepared without stuttering. He put the plastic bag on the table. Nayeon face was getting red and her facial expression was change. Jungkook apologize then bowed. He quickly left the shop and went back to school. He did it. He finally did it.

Jungkook went towards the club room. Today wasn’t their regular practice day so no one was there. He laid down on the couch and tried to sleep. The sound of the door being opened woke him up. Namjoon looked startled while he saw Jungkook was laying down on the couch.

“What are you doing here? There is no practice today,” asked Jungkook.

“I am just taking my comic book that I left here. How about you? Why are you alone? Where is the other seniors?” Namjoon opened his locker and took out some comic books.

“They were studying,” Jungkook answer him simply then tried to close his eyes again.

“Why you weren’t join them?” Namjoon asked him again.

“I gave up on studying. Studying isn’t my thing. No matter how hard I study, I wont get a first place,” he answered while half asleep.

“It wasn’t cool at all. Giving up before you tried. What a pity. I respect you a lot at first, but now I doubt it. In this society being cool and handsome, won’t make them simply respect you,” Namjoon respond coldly to Jungkook’s answer.

“Yeah, you were right. But, I am not a person who cares towards other’s opinion. If you finished did your things, you could left this room. I want to sleep,” he cover his eyes with his arm. Namjoon excuse himself then left the room.

He was so stressed. Ever since the gift keep on coming to their room, he got scolded multiple times by his seniors. Moreover, all the gift and the unknown number that kept bothering him made him stressed even more. Although he managed to lift one burden from his shoulder, he felt so sorry towards Nayeon. He never meant to act like that but he has no choice. Being idle made him even more stressed. He stood up and check his locker. Unfortunately he didn’t found his sweatsuit. He remembered that he left it on his desk today.

Jungkook returned to the school building. He quickly went to his classroom and took out his sweatsuit from his desk drawer. He planned to jogging to release his stress. He walked through the quiet corridor. This quietness made him thought about what he did earlier. He blamed himself. He was so into his thought that he didn’t realize he bump into Seungkwan in the shoes locker. He apologize to him. Seungkwan was worried and asked him whether he was okay. He must be look so blank right now. He nodded and said he was fine. Seungkwan was left after ensure his senior was fine.

Jungkook was stood there while staring at his locker.

“What are you doing here?” Jeonghan voice bring him back into reality.

He was startled then quickly open his locker. He found a yellow post-it was hanging.

“You weren’t wrong. You did great. It was the best you can do. Don’t be too hard towards yourself,”

Jungkook got a goosebumps. He never paid attention towards that tiny yellow paper. But, strangely, he got comforted by what was written on that thing.

“You didn’t have a pratice today, right? Why arent you join basketball team? You looked so stressed, dude,” Jeonghan was worried looking at Jungkook blank expression.

Jungkook was nodded and happily accept Jeonghan’s offer. He took off that yellow post-it then paste it into the inside wall of the locker.