Final

00:00

Shin hye's POV:

           A noise. Noise of something breaking. To be exact, noise of something fragile shattering into pieces. That was what echoed through the otherwise silent apartment as I stirred awake reluctantly from my half sleep which was about to become perfect within minutes that were about to follow, still clearly wanting to know the reason behind that sudden noise and my gaze absently fixated on the alarm clock resting on my nightstand.

          I squinted my eyes, rubbed them and tried to get accustomed to the dark since it might be some time around midnight, probably.Well,my guess was right, since both the hands in the clock were hovering above twelve. Stifling a yawn, clearly annoyed and very much aware of the source of all this ruckus which succeeded in ruining my most treasured sleep after a long and tiresome day at work, I stepped out of my room and into the kitchen,from where I assumed the noise might've come. True to my guess, he was standing there,his back turned at me, running his fingers hastily over the strands of his neatly trimmed hair.

         Wide-awake, my gaze lingered over his head a second or two longer than necessary and finally travelled down to look at the floor and presumably the source of his  frustration and again returned to him,  this time morphed into a glare. Now, the reason for me getting irritated at him became twice as stronger than it was before.Waking me up at unhealthy hours of the night was one enough for me to throw a tantrum, but the sight of my favourite mug being shattered to pieces was...

        "What the hell have you done?" it took everything in me not to shout on the top of my lungs, still it was louder and harsh enough to startle him and he almost tripped while turning to find me standing at the kitchen since he never expected to find me there.He looked absolutely stunned, pure horror seeping through his eyes and he looked like a helpless bunny caught in headlights. I might've found it cute if it is some other situation, but when it comes to my mug I can't stand- Yeah.The mug. Returning my stare to the mug and frowning at the sight I just inhaled deeply, parted my lips to start shouting at him again only before I was interrupted with a "Bab-"the second half of which died down at his throat when my eyes shot back to meet his with a glint of anger.


         "Don't you dare Baby me." I noticed too late that my voice went several octaves higher than what I intended it to be. He gulped audibly,look shifting between me and the floor and started mumbling something that seemed like he didn't mean to and he was sorry yet I was not in the right state of mind to listen to anything and I bit back again, sarcastically, "Thank you. You just did the perfect thing on top of everything that has happened to me today. Incredible as you are." Not giving him a chance to respond,I turned and vanished out of his sight, ignoring his pleas at me to stay and listen to him.
         

           I don't know whether it was mere minutes or hours after my shouting spree has ended and I found myself staring at the sky,sitting on the rooftop with one of my legs swinging to and fro absently. Thank God it was some day near newmoon, I was able to get such a clear view of almost all the stars,which would otherwise be masked by the sheen of the white orb which was missing that night. Also, I  wouldn't be particularly happy if somebody could be able to look at my face and find the now dried tracks of tears down my cheek thanks to the moonlight. I reminded myself that my body needed at least some sleep for me to get back to work tomorrow but it suddenly struck me tomorrow's my day off, so a wave of relief flashed through me. My mind wandered back to him and that conversation-well, it was more like a monologue that he neither spoke up nor I had given him the chance to. I had my reasons, to do so. I know I'm not a type of person to get upset over something this trivial. But the thing which was broken, was not something common.It was something that I valued the most and managed to keep safe until the day before. It was certain someone's first gift to me, after all, and I not even in my dreams would've expected that same certain someone to be the one who broke it. It made my heart sink, a part of me knew that it must be a mistake and he wouldn't have done it deliberately, still not getting over the fact that he could've been a little more careful. Which, again, gave way to a fresh,steaming set of tears which I started wiping with the back of my hand and sniffing.

           After a couple of minutes, the waterworks had come down to a point of closure and my eyes were left with a brim of tears which I tried to blink away. That was exactly when I felt a blissful, lovely, soothing aroma filled the air and I found a mug placed beside me on the stone bench on which I was sitting,which I'd never seen at the house before, filled with freshly brewed magical liquid. My vision was not clear, thanks to the final traces of tears, so I rubbed my palms against my eyes and looked again at the mug. I took it reluctantly, with slightly trembling hands, clearly not from the cold but rather because of the previous outburst I had. Bringing the steaming mug closer, I couldn't help but take a sniff of the heavenly aroma and let out a hum and took a tentative sip. I know he was standing there, behind me, yet I was not ready to speak to him, honestly because I was not aware from where I should start.


            He waited for me to finish the coffee and when I set the empty mug on the table at the same spot where it was placed before, he came and sat beside me , with the mug between us. I was unsure of what to say and how to say. But one thing I was aware was the growing tension and the one thing that I immediately wanted was to solve this issue before it evolved into something bigger so I was fighting a mental battle and thinking about the appropriate words to use but he beat me to it by breaking the silence with a melodious "Happy birthday."

           Wait.What? Birthday? What day of the month is this? I'm sure there must be a good five or six days before my birthday. When I started thinking straight,realization dawned upon me and yes, it was, indeed, my birthday.It took me by absolute surprise. Eyes wide open and mouth agape, I turned to face him in an instant that my neck almost snapped but I was purely astonished by the fact how easily I forgot my birthday and until he wished me, I was totally oblivious. I managed a little smile, and the first thing that came to my mind was a "T-thank..",voice hoarse because I cried so I coughed a little and once I was sure my throat was okay enough, I managed a "thank you." Since I was in the dark for what I thought a good thirty minutes, my eyes were able to spot that little toothy grin he produced. Finding it contagious, I beamed. Yet, the memories of me shouting at him came back and my smile fell. He should've noticed that, so when I started a sorry-i-just-shouldn't-have-yelled -at-you he just placed his index finger over my lips and looked into my eyes with an assuring smile that he was okay. 


          "I know you didn't mean to shout at me back then. I know why you're upset,too. I should've been more careful. It was my mistake, after all. But mistakes happen, you know... I know I can't mend those pieces again and bring it back to you but I'm sure I've got something else which would make you happy, so..."unsure of what to say next,he just pointed down and I saw what he was trying to mention was something about the new mug. I took that mug carefully in my hands and started taking a proper look. A smile crept through my lips as I found it was actually a photo mug and it had one of the latest selfies taken by us printed on it. Touched, I reached out to give him a bear hug,to which he responded cheerily by his one free hand through my loose locks and wishing me happy birthday again.Moments ago, I would've never thought it was going to be  a happy day,let alone a normal one, but now, I felt like I'm the happiest one on this whole universe.

           "It was supposed to be a surprise," he spoke, and I responded with a hum,he continued,"I even baked you a cake and all I wanted to do was brew a cup of coffee and wake you up and surprise you, that was exactly when I accidentally dropped the mug and you know the rest." I felt a pang of guilt but as if he was able to read my mind, he uttered softly, " Don't blame yourself. Knowing you for years, I'm not gonna take it seriously anyways. Now, if Her Majesty will please excuse me, I'll be back in seconds." He winked at me and I just slapped his arms and he faked being in pain and pulled a face at me before disappearing.

            He did come back, with a little chocolate cake with candles lit and a hand protectively covering all the candles from the mild breeze, although not strong enough to put those candles out. He placed the cake at the bench and looked at me,"Make a wish. Now." I closed my eyes and blew all those candles when a soft happy birthday song started filling the background. He cut the cake into pieces and fed the first piece to me and within minutes, the cake was gone and we both were left with cocoa stained smiles. We settled for stargazing,knowing both of us were thoroughly awake. After that , we didn't talk much, yet felt the silence comforting. Finally, resting my head on his lap, I was drifting off,with an almost permanent grin plastered to my face.Deep in my heart, I know, whatever may happen, but at the end of the day,he will be always there for me. 

A.N: Hi fellow Dooliers! This is something I wanted to write for a very long time and I'm happy I've finally did it!!!! Yaayyy!!! * grin-grin* though the plot was something which I never planned in advance, that was nothing but a spark and when I started writing the first line,words started pouring out and I'm here, finally! English is not my first language and this is like,what, my second time writing? So I'm bound to make a lot of mistakes and please let me know if you find any,grammatical or logical :) Hope you all would like it! Upvote, subscribe and let me know your comments <3333 Spread DooleyLove!

P.S: I'll leave it to your imagination guys, whether they are just friends, or lovers or in a wedded relation. XD