Newfound Attention

Tomorrow, Today
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jinyoung-sshi, what is your relationship to Mark-sshi?”

“Are you publicly coming out as homoual?”

“Did you consider the company before coming here with Mark-sshi?”

“What do your parents think?”

“Was your engagement to Yena-sshi a cover up?”

“Have you and Yena-sshi split up?”

“Mark-sshi, have you coerced Jinyoung-sshi into accompanying you?”

Jinyoung had prepared himself for the onslaught of questions, but he hadn’t anticipated this level of cruelty. The reporters yelled these kinds of questions as if he didn’t consider the company’s reputation or Yena’s feelings. As if he hadn’t stayed in the closet for close to eight years in order to protect the company and Yena. The things they said about Mark, though... made his blood boil.

Defiantly, he let go of Mark’s hand, catching his attention, and wrapped an arm around Mark’s waist, pulling him closer. The camera flashes that followed were so quick and bright that Jinyoung practically went blind, almost flinching were it not for Mark coiling his arm around Jinyoung, holding him firmly in place. 

“Let’s go,” Mark murmured in Jinyoung’s ear, and the two turned, heading into the venue as quickly as they could without looking like they were running from the reporters. The moment they were safely inside, though, Mark slumped, startling Jinyoung.

“Mark, are you okay?” He asked, propping the other up with his hands and checking him over for any sign of distress or pain.

Instead of answering, Mark pulled Jinyoung in for a hug, resting his head on Jinyoung’s shoulders. “I should be asking you that,” he whispered quietly.

“What do you mean?” Jinyoung said, patting Mark’s back comfortingly.

Mark leaned back to give him an incredulous look. “Did you not hear what they were saying about you?”

Jinyoung blinked, confused. “Of course,” he said. “But I was expecting that.”

“Me too,” Mark said, “but that doesn’t mean you don’t get hurt.”

He shook his head, laughing under his breath. “Yes, it hurt. It hurt that the one time I actively get attention, it’s negative. But I was more angry about that last question than anything else. How could they assume that you forced me to go with you so easily? No chaebol would let themselves be seen with you, coerced or not. If I’m with you, then I’m with you by choice.”

Mark gave him a breathtaking smile that made his heart pound. “That’s so nice to hear from you,” he said softly, leaning forward to press his forehead against Jinyoung’s. “Thank you Jinyoungie.”

“Any time, Mark,” Jinyoung grinned. “Shall we go into the ballroom? Make our appearance?”

Mark stepped back, his posture changing to suit that of a fairytale prince, tall and proud and polite. He offered his arm to Jinyoung. “We shall.”

 

 

Yena and Yugyeom had practically accosted them the moment they walked into the extravagant ballroom. “Are you okay?” Yena asked worriedly. “They were yelling terrible things at me, so I assume you got the worst end of the stick.”

“Yeah, it was pretty rough, but we could handle it,” Mark informed her. “Thank you for asking.”

“I have half a mind to go out and fight all those reporters,” Yugyeom muttered, shooting the entrance of the ballroom with a dark look.

“There’s nothing we can do now,” Jinyoung shrugged. “They pretty much have what they want. Besides, we’re supposed to be trying to get attention. We’ll just have to deal with the negativity that comes with it.”

Yugyeom gave Jinyoung an even look. “You may not be marrying my sister, and we may like to irritate the hell out of each other, but you’re family. I’m allowed to get angry when someone mistreats my family.” He turned to Mark. “You too, Mark-sshi.”

Jinyoung felt his heart swell. He and Yugyeom had been at each other’s throats since they were kids, usually forcing Yena to be the mediator. Even though they hadn’t talked much since Yena was formally engaged to Jinyoung and they’d settled into their adult lives, it was nice to know the younger still had their back. “Thanks, Yugyeom.”

“Of course, hyung,” Yugyeom smirked. “Now, if you’ll excuse us, I’m gonna try and matchmake Yena with any available straight bachelor I can find.”

“If you do that I will murder you,” Yena deadpanned, even as she let Yugyeom lead her away.

“That was really nice of them to check up on us,” Mark commented lightly. “Do you want to go mingle right away or let them come to us?”

“Let’s let them come to us,” Jinyoung said. “That way people don’t think this is a publicity stunt.” He reached out and wrapped his fingers around Mark’s hand, intertwining their fingers.

Mark smirked, leaning closer, not close enough to be considered indecent, but close enough to refute any doubt that what they had was genuine.

“So it’s true.” Jinyoung looked away from Mark to find Han Seungyoon approaching them, a devious smirk on his face. “Park Jinyoung, the wallflower, with the resident outcast.”

“Seungyoon-sshi, nice to see you again,” Mark said coolly, ignoring his words. “How are you?”

“Wonderfully, unlike either of you,” Seungyoon retorted. “At least my family doesn’t have to worry about me being a disgrace.”

“Like you’re any better,” BamBam interjected, coming out of nowhere. “Your fashion is still so terrible, and you refuse to let me fix it.”

“It’s classic,” Seungyoon insisted.

“It’s gone way beyond that,” Bambam shook his head. “It’s practically retro. Not to mention sleazy. Girls want someone who’s slick, not someone who oozes grease out his every pore. Now what Jinyoung hyung is wearing, that is classic. A little dull, maybe, but he can do nothing wrong with his suit. Unlike yours.”

Jinyoung held back a laugh at Seungyoon’ offended expression. Mark couldn’t help a little amused smile of his own. Before either BamBam or Seungyoon could say anything, another voice said, “Hyung, Imo’s here. You should probably go greet her before omma and appa get mad.”

Seungyoon scowled at the person before stalking away, clearly frustrated at his failure to rile Mark or Jinyoung up. The other person stepped neatly into the spot Seungyoon had left, offering the three of them a chubby-cheeked smile. “I’m sorry about my brother. He’s just upset that our father’s made me the heir instead of him,” Han Jisung apologized, bowing politely.

“Don’t worry, we were expecting this kind of backlash,” Mark shook his head dismissively. “It’s nice to see you again, though. How is school? You’re a... business and music production major, right?”

Jinyoung watched in disbelief as Jisung perked up, grinning widely as he nodded. “Yes, I am! It’s a lot of hard work, but I like what I’m learning. Finals are at the end of the month, and then I’m done.”

“What are you going to do after?” Jinyoung probed politely, curious. The Hans owned one of the biggest entertainment companies in the country, yes, but as far as he knew, none of them showed much interest in the production aspect of it.

“Well, eventually I’m going to be the CEO, but once I graduate I’m gonna be a producer first. Get first hand experience handling people’s futures before I take such a high up position,” Jisung replied.

“That sounds great. You seem really excited for it,” Jinyoung said, feeling warm. He’d never really met chaebols who’d incorporated something they were clearly passionate about into their chosen careers. He envied Jisung for doing so, when he hadn’t even known that it was an option.

“I am,” Jisung nodded eagerly, catching someone’s eye behind them. “Ah, my friends are calling me, but I just wanted to say that it’s awesome to see you with someone, Mark-hyung. You and Jinyoung-sshi deserve the best, and it might not mean much, but you both have my support.”

All the envy Jinyoung had for this kid melted away at his kindness. “It means the world to us. We appreciate any support we get. And please, drop the honorifics. I’d like to become close with you, Jisung-ah.”

Jisung gave them another large grin. “You’re welcome, hyungs. I’ll see you around!” And with that, Jisung scampered off to his friends.

“He’s a good kid,” Mark chuckled. “Always kind to me. His parents are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter