Moving Up and Out

Tomorrow, Today
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JYM not JYP (3)

Yena: what do you think of this apartment? [attached link]

Yena: It’s pretty close to both of your workplaces

Mark: Looks cozy for a penthouse. I like it :)

Mark: And it’s pretty cheap!

Yena: ...Oppa, you have a loose definition of the term “cheap.”

Mark: You’re so mean, Yena-ya :( It’s cheap for a penthouse.

Yena: Jinyoung oppa, what do you think?

Jinyoung smiled. After the first meetup, the three of them had exchanged Kakao IDs and started a group chat, talking about anything and everything. It made work more bearable, knowing that Mark and Yena were one message away. If something at work happened, one of them would text it to the others, and they would talk about it. If they planned on taking their lunch breaks at the same time, they arranged an impromptu lunch.

It was nice, having people to talk to. He’d always felt awkward texting Yena, in case she was busy or didn’t like texts at work. But now, he felt more comfortable talking to them, making jokes and complaining.

He opened a message.

It looks good. We should go check it out this weekend.

Mark: I’m free this weekend.

Yena?

Yena: Oppa, you want me to come?

Mark: You found this apartment for us. Why would we NOT want you to come?

Yena: It IS an apartment for you two. Not me.

And we want the advice of our dear friend who’s been so kind

as to help us in our search for an apartment, especially when

you consider the fact that you’re the only one out of us who’s

actually moved out.

Yena: ... Okay, I get it, oppa. I’ll come.

Mark: Don’t sound too excited :P

Are you actually free this weekend, Yena-ya?

Yena: I have an appointment Saturday afternoon, but that’s it.

Mark: Then let’s do Sunday morning. I can schedule a tour for 10:00.

I’m okay with that.

Yena: Me too. Jinyoung-oppa and I will meet you there.

 

“This is really nice,” Mark said for the twelfth time as they wandered through the penthouse. The landlord was tailing them, occasionally giving facts about the penthouse, but otherwise letting the three of them explore on their own.

“Definitely better than the other ones,” Jinyoung agreed quietly.

They had been to several open houses over the last two weeks, looking at various apartments. None of them had felt right.

“It’s nice, but it’s a little far. There aren’t any convenience stores nearby, I won’t be able to get late night ramen!”

“We don’t really need five bedrooms and five and a half bathrooms. Seriously, how did they manage to get this much space in this part of Seoul?”

“We really don’t need vaulted ceilings and chandeliers in our apartment. I don’t want to feel like an ant in my apartment.”

“It’s large enough to have a dinner party with friends but small enough that it’s cozy and intimate,” Yena nodded. “It also looks structurally sound. I didn’t find any mold or damage.”

“Yeah, of all the apartments and penthouses we’ve seen, this is the best one for sure,” Jinyoung said softly, making sure the owner didn’t hear.

Mark hummed in agreement, still gazing around him.

“I’m gonna go talk to the owner. You two need to decide soon what apartment you want to move in. It would probably be best if you guys moved in and got settled before the charity ball because I don’t know what impact your coming out will do. After the ball, you’ll both be too busy dealing with the press,” Yena excused herself, leaving the two of them in the master bedroom.

“Do you want to keep looking?” Mark asked, finally turning to look at him. “I mean, this is the best apartment so far, but there could be better.”

“There could,” Jinyoung agreed, nodding, “but is it bad that I really like this apartment? I don’t think I want to keep looking.”

Mark breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh thank god, I was thinking the same thing. I don’t know how it can get better than this. If there is, I don’t want it.”

“It’s affordable, there’s enough space for both of us, and it’s close to both of our workplaces,” Jinyoung listed. “This just feels right for us, doesn’t it?”

He nodded. “Should we go tell the landlord we want to put an offer down?”




It was at times like these that Jinyoung really appreciated being a chaebol. The landlords were all too willing to accept their offer, letting them move in almost as soon as they signed the lease.

For the most part, Jinyoung and Mark didn’t have much to move in. When their movers finished transporting all their stuff from their family homes to the new penthouse, the apartment suddenly seemed even larger.

“To be fair, we’ve only ever had one room, and now we have several,” Mark grinned at him. “We should go furniture shopping soon.”

Jinyoung returned the smile. It felt liberating moving out of his parents’ house, and he knew that Mark felt the same way. He felt invincible, independent, and ready to start a new phase in his life. They ordered takeout and ate it while sitting on the floor of what would eventually be their living room, talking animatedly about what they wanted to do with the apartment and what they wanted from each other as roommates.

After lunch, they went out shopping for furniture, giddily walking around, looking at everything the store had to offer. If they didn’t have to at least try to adhere to their chaebol appearances, they would’ve been giggling the entire time, eagerly trying out every sofa they could find. As it was, they could barely contain themselves, quickly deciding on what they wanted and ordering it. They noticed people staring, clearly recognizing the two of them, but no one approached them. It made Jinyoung feel uncomfortable. He usually didn’t care, but maybe because Yena had told them that people were starting to notice, he now felt self-conscious. What did they think of him? Did they notice anything? Were they starting to suspect, too? He wasn’t ready to face the backlash just yet.

“Hey, you okay?”

Flinching, he turned to face the older, who had a soft grip on his shoulder. “Uh, yeah, just a little self-conscious.” He glanced away, fighting the urge to slump and hide his face.

“Hey, don’t worry about them,” Mark shook his head, patting his shoulder. “They’re just curious. Yena did say people were starting to notice. Just act casual, and they’ll just think we’re just two guys hanging out.”

“Hanging out in a furniture store?” Jinyoung said, skeptical. “That doesn’t scream ‘domestic’ to you?”

He shrugged. “I mean, we’re basically roommates. There shouldn’t be anything scandalous about us furniture shopping, even if we’re both gay. It’s not that big of a deal.” He looked nonchalant, but there was a defiant spark in his eyes, daring anyone to take his happiness away.

Jinyoung realized that this was why Mark hadn’t been weak an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter