Goodbyes

4 O' Clock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I can only see you
I can only see you alone
Look, I’m fair with everyone else but you
Now I can’t live a day without you, please

 

[Hold Me Tight, BTS]

 

 

 

21-year old Taehyung tries hard not to show emotions. He saw this coming, but he didn't expect it to come too soon.

 

Opposite him, Jimin fidgets with his cup after dropping the news. 

 

Like any sensible best friend, Taehyung knows the right thing to do: be supportive, be happy. After all, this is what Jimin wants. This has always been his best friend's dream ever since they were kids. Any friend would've jumped in glee or said "OH MY GOD, I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!" but for some reason, Taehyung can't force himself to do so. One thing runs in his mind:

 

He's leaving. 

 

When Jimin said that he was recruited by a famous dance company in Seoul, all Taehyung could do was think of how his best friend would be packing his bags as soon as possible. There's still a chance that Jimin might not go; he knows full well that he's not a big fan of leaving his family and venturing in the city alone. But who knows?

"...I got the call yesterday," continues Jimin, his face all excited, "They said they want me to move next week and start dancing."

"Next week?" blubbers Taehyung all of a sudden, "Like...a week from now?"

Jimin chuckles. "Tae Tae, you didn't forget the days of the week, did you?"

"I...I'm just...well," stammers the younger boy, "That sounds too soon. So is your family okay with it? I mean, will they let you? I know your dad can be really strict. You're not going, are you?"

"Dad actually let me go," answers Jimin, "He says it might give me the big break I've always wanted. But to be honest, I think he just wants to do away with me." He rolls his eyes. "Ever since he found out about me being gay, he's not that too keen. But I don't know...I think it's okay."

Taehyung senses that sadness again. Jimin insists that he's alright with his father having a hard time accepting him for who he is, but Tae knows him better. 

"Plus, it comes with pay and I'm sick of pretending I like it here," adds the older boy, "Finally, I can go and fulfill my dream of dancing."

 

It's hard to ignore Jimin's excitement with the prospect. After all, Taehyung knows that Jimin's not a big fan of normal college. Ever since they graduated high school, it's all his best friend could ever think off: get away from their quiet rural life and start dancing. 

"So you'll leave here and stay there?" asks Taehyung.

"Yeah I have to. I can't commute everyday, Tae. I'll die."

"But can't you drive or something?"

"I think you forgot I don't have a car."

"Is it really far? Like so far away?"

"Tae, do the math. You know it is."

 

Jimin  chuckles at him, thinking he's having one of those weird Tae Tae moments. Unknown to him though, Taehyung is having an existential crisis already. 

 

He's leaving.

 

"So...you said yes to it already, huh?"

"Yes. I'm leaving next week," he says, "That's why I wanted you to know."

"That you're leaving me?"

 

It sounded so wrong when Taehyung said it, but the younger boy knows he's not good at concealing his feelings. He wishes Jimin doesn't notice it; unfortunately for him, his best friend is a master at deciphering changes in tone. Jimin's face reflects that expression again. 

They had this unspoken agreement that Jimin would just brush it off whenever Taehyung unintentionally did something that said much about the one-sided love affair. While Jimin kept his side of the promise (to not force Taehyung to stop), the other boy found it difficult to control himself. Sometimes, Jimin would be confused whether his best friend's good acts were out of friendship or feelings.

For Taehyung, there is no blur in that line anymore. But he doesn't show it because he knows Jimin will freak out. When he does, his best friend wears that look -- the one he's wearing right now.

 

"Taehyung-ah," Jimin calls out his name cautiously, "Are you okay?"

Oh my god, you idiot, Tae tells himself, Be supportive. 

"Ah...ah...I'm just surprised," he answers, "I'm happy, really happy. Like woah."

Jimin smiles at him sheepishly. "Your voice sounds too deadpan for supportive, Tae."

"But I am! I really am! WOW JIMIN-AH YOU'RE GOING, WOW! WHOO!" exclaims Taehyung, raising his arms exaggeratedly, then shaking Jimin by the shoulders, "You're going to make it big, Jiminnie! Wah. I'm glad!" he says. "Really...I am."

He listened to himself and figure he sounds like he's lying. 

Jimin's cheeks puff as he smiles. 

"I know you always have my back, Tae," he says, "I will make it big, you'll see."

A ping from his phone momentarily distracts Jimin. As he opens his phone to see who texted, Taehyung can't help but just watch Jimin. He stares at his best friend's profile as dread settles in his chest. 

 

He's really leaving. 

 

"Tae Tae?"

Jimin's sweet voice breaks his thought again. The 21-year old looks up at his best friend who is wearing a concerned look on his face. 

"Yeah?"

"You don't seem fine with it."

Taehyung resents their years of friendship for teaching Jimin to deciper his emotions so quickly. 

"I'm fine."

"No you're not."

"I am."

"Spit it out."

He heaves a sigh.

"I...I'm just...I'm really happy for you, Min Min," starts Taehyung, "I know that you've always wanted this. I mean, you always talk about dancing since we became friends. I'm glad that you finally have that opportunity." He then runs a hand through his hair, "It's just...I feel sad because...you're leaving me."

"It's not like we're never going to talk again, Tae," says Jimin, "We have SNS. I'll call you."

"It won't be the same," argues Taehyung, "Who'll play

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter