Moving Forward

4 O' Clock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Even if this road is far and dangerous
Will you be with me?
Even if I fall and get hurt sometimes
Will you be with me?

 

You and I, if we’re together
We can smile

 

(A Supplementary Story: You Never Walk Alone, BTS)

 

 

27-year old Kim Taehyung feels his heart pounding wildly against his chest. On the outside, he seems perfectly calm; on the inside, he's screaming. 

 

Of course it was bound to happen, he tells himself, Of course. 

Opposite him, his best friend Park Jimin fumbles with his fingers as he stares, waiting for Taehyung to say something. 

Of course. I should've known I'd get hurt again. 

Taehyung wishes to scream or to just run. But he doesn't. In fact, he stays put in the middle of the cherry blossoms, looking down at his best friend who just broke the news. 

"Why are you asking me?" he asks Jimin finally. 

The smaller boy rubs the back of his neck. "Cause...you're my best friend."

 

It's been a year since they reunited in the city. True enough, Taehyung never expected they'd fall back in the same form of familiarity. At first, he thought they'd be awkward and just remain as 'people who used to be close to each other.' But time passed and before Tae relalized, they were back in their regular programming. 

It started with an awkward coffee meet-up that ended with a 5-hour conversation and dinner afterwards. 

Before anyone can stop it, Taehyung and Jimin were the best of friends again.

 

Which brings him back to Jimin's news. 

Taehyung gulps as he musters the strenght to be the good best friend for the nth time. 

"Is that what you want?" he asks, "Because that's all that matters to me."

Jimin bites his lip. "Do you think I should?"

 

Do I think you should go back to your pathetic ex-boyfriend? Do I think you should leave me again? Do I really want to see you in that situation?

 

When Jimin asked to see him by the park, Taehyung noticed how his voice sounded so serious. It's the tone Jimin uses when he has bad news or life-changing stories to share. The younger boy racked his brains for anything that happened: yesterday, all they did was eat out. Nothing spectacular happened, except Taehyung ate a meal good for five people. But his best friend seemed so happy.

So when they saw each other, Taehyung braced himself.

Of course, Jimin ended up with a news that hurt his heart: his best friend's ex-boyfriend Jeon Jungkook is reaching out again.

Taehyung sighs. "Honestly, Jimin...I don't think it's a good idea," he says, "That jerk hurt you and that's the last thing I want. He lead you on; he said you're his world but he left you when you needed him. And now, he comes crawling back to you because he misses you?"

 

Jimin told him about Jungkook a month after their reunion. It was then Taehyung realized that this Jungkook was the boyfriend his Hoseok hyung was talking about years ago -- the one Jimin moved in with. When Tae found out what happened to Jimin -- how Jungkook left him for his dreams -- Taehyung felt so enraged. 

How could any guy do that to his best friend?

"He did the worst thing anyone could do: he broke your heart," he continues, "And I don't want that, Jimin-ah." He gazes intently at Jimin. "I don't want him to do that again. You don't deserve it."

 

And Jimin really doesn't. 

After hearing the story, Taehyung figured his best friend suffered more than he did during the one-sided love affair debacle. He couldn't move on from how this Jungkook hurt Jimin. And now, he can't understand why Jimin is considering going back.

And why he, Taehyung, feels deeply uneasy. 

He looks down at the pair of sneakers Jimin handed him earlier today. It's "payback" for the pair he lended when Jimin broke his before a performance. Taehyung, being the best friend of the day, sacrificed his pair wand watched the entire show barefoot.

But he didn't mind. As long as Jimin was happy.

That's always been the point. 

"Jimin...don't hurt yourself, again, okay?" he asks, "That's...the last thing I want. I'll support your decision, but...just promise me that you'll be fine."

 

Taehyung is seriously tempted to shed another tear, being the crybaby that he is. But he keeps himself from doing so; otherwise, Jimin would know Taehyung managed to fall in love with him again. 

 

Ever since their reunion, Taehyung has battled with himself. The beginning was easy; he didn't worry about falling in love with Jimin. Whenever they hung out, it felt like he could see his best friend as nothing but a best friend again. They started laughing and sharing stories like nothing happened; eventually, they gained the right to hit each other's heads. Then the hugging started, the sleeping over, the late-night drinking (mostly Jimin; Taehyung still preferred his chocolate milk, thank you very much).

 

Eight months in, Taehyung realizes one thing: he loves Jimin again. 

 

His Namjoon hyung was right when he said he could end up with a broken heart again. But this time, Taehyung did not set

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter