OUTRO: Birthdays Again

4 O' Clock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Past the end of this cold winter
Until the spring comes again
Until the flowers bloom again
Stay there a little longer
Stay there

(Spring Day, BTS)

 

 

 

It's already 4AM. 29-year old Kim Taehyung just turned 30 and he couldn't be more grateful.

 

He stares outside his window, admiring the snowflakes that fall. It's one of the best things about being born in December; you get snow on your birthday. It's not like he's a big fan of snow; he just gets good memories from it. 

Taehyung sighs as he watches the snow fall. Alone in the room, he can't help but feel a little emotional -- even if it's his birthday. 

 

After all, who wants to be alone on their birthday?

 

The apartment screams in silence, but Taehyung doesn't mind. He's been living that way for years now, so it's nothing new. But that doesn't mean it's never difficult. 

Being lonely can be difficult. 

The snow looks so lovely from where he stands. He spots a small pile forming under one of his trees; part of him wishes the pile would grow bigger so he can jump on it this morning. But then he takes it back; he's not in the mood for snow throwing yet. After all, it's just him.

Aisht, how did I manage to live through this?

His phone vibrates, signalling the nth text he's been getting since the clock struck 12. Apparently, this one remembered his request: to greet him at 4 AM since he was born at 4, not midnight. He takes a look at his phone and opens a message from his older brother. 

 

Happy birthday, Taehyung-ah. Stop moping. It's you birthday. Sorry I can't walk with you. But you're grown up already so~ yeah u can do that already. Call me when you want to get together again. u know i love u always, right~?

 

Taehyung chuckles as he reads Namjoon's message again. Just yesterday, his hyung called to check on him, asking if he's doing fine. Of course Taehyung says yes, but Namjoon was good at detecting otherwise. 

"You know I'd walk with you on your birthday, right?" he said, "If I lived closer, I would."

"Nah, I'm good. You go mind your wife."

"She's not my wife yet."

"But you have a baby together, though."

"You and your morals."

"I have morals?"

Both brothers laughed. Their discussion was cut short by the sound of a child crying in the background. 

"Alright Tae, I have to go," his brother said, "Don't you dare mope tomorrow. I swear to God, I'll kill you if you do."

"You don't even believe in God."

"Fair point."

And with that, the conversation ended and Taehyung was alone again.

 

It's not like no one remembered. His sunshine-nature and social butterfly attitude gave him tons of friends and admirers. The office threw him a suprise party last night, showering him with food, gifts, and chocolate milk. The interns even performed for him (he's dead sure the young girls have a thing for him; ajhussi complex, said some of his officemates). His SNS is filled with vibrant greetings and well-wishes. 

 

There's just something missing. 

 

He tries very hard not to be emotional as he stares outside the window, clock ticking on him. 

 

Ah Taehyung-ah, maybe it's not today, he tells himself, You know life hates you one way or another. 

He heaves another disappointed sigh. What did he expect anyway?

Taehyung checks his watch and figures he should just go back to sleep. His brother is right: there's no point in moping on his special day. He could celebrate it alone and still be happy. 

He'll be fine. 

He's about to shut the drapes when a truck pulls up in front of the apartment, covering the trees. For a moment, Taehyung worries the loud noise will wake up the neighbors; he's already annoyed because it's 4 AM and there's unwanted ruckus. 

He stares at the truck, blinded by the headlights.

A few seconds later, a solitary figure emerges, but only as a faint shadow. Taehyung adjusts his glasses but still can't make of the figure. The headlights are too blinding for his poor eyes. 

What the hell?

It takes him a minute to realize what's happening.

He gasps.

 

From the window, Taehyung sees Jimin walking towards his apartment -- their apartment -- donning the national military fatigue Taehyung also wore six years ago. He could hear Jimin's boots cracking the ground beneath him. A cautious smile is on his face as he walks.

 

He's back. 

 

After two years, Jimin is back.

The knock on his door confirms that.

Taehyung almost trips as he scrambles for the door. He's waited this long for the reunion; it can't happen sooner enough. He jumps over their pug Hobi (yes, they named their dog after Jimin's roommate in the dance company) and grabs the knob.

He opens the door. 

 

Opposite him stands a newer version of the man he has always loved. 

Jimin's clean cut is far from the pink fluff he had to let go prior to his enlistment. He looks so prim and proper yet a bit intimidating in his army uniform. Taehyung sees he has developed a stronger jawline and darker skin tone; he spots a cut in his eyebrow. 

But he's still the same Park Jimin when he smiles. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter