One

Unfortunate Encounter [COMPLETED]

It was almost 4 years since I last saw you in flesh. I couldn't even picture you unless I open my facebook account and unconsciously click your profile, stalk you for minutes and finally fight with myself whether I should send you a message or not.

Do you still remember that time when you sent me a text 3 years ago? You were still a senior in high school and I was a freshman in college. I was really shocked since we lost contact after my graduation. And there you were, asking how am I doing. You told me everything that's happening in your life. We had our short conversations but the stupid me never really paid attention about it until you stopped sending texts.

You were suddenly gone.

How could I blame you though? If I were you, I would definitely do the same. Talking to a person uninterested . You did right.

I just shrugged the thought of you thinking 'it's not like I'm affected'.

But I was wrong. Totally wrong.

Days passed and I suddenly found myself typing a 'Hello' for you but my thumb wouldn't even dare to tap the send button. That very same time, I finally admitted that I was longing for those silly messages we had. I wanted to know how're you doing, what are you up to, or just simply knowing any little things about you.

But I was too anxious to send you one. I suddenly thought of you meeting some new friends causing you to somehow forget about me.

It's not like I'm someone special. So the possibilty of you forgetting about me is pretty high.

I lost confidence and thus, the coward me just waited for your birthday to come hoping that I could send you a greeting.

And I did. Three days late. You replied though, saying thanks. Plain thanks, as if someone you never knew greeted you. Haha. Yeah, I was disappointed but I still took a deep breathe, tried to save the conversation while keeping my confidence up. 

I asked if you're going back to our hometown.

For about an hour, there was no reply. I stopped hoping. It seems like you're not interested to talk to me anyway.

Who would be though? I'm boring. No fun. And most of all, awkward.

Maybe I'm the only one still holding on. I was dumb I know. I should have been sincere talking to you that time. Maybe I was so into being a college student that I did not pay attention to you. Maybe that's why we drifted apart.

You were sick of me.

But you know what, I had a dream of you last night. I dunno why it should be you of all people but someway somehow I remembered the first time we met.

 

4 years ago (Science Laboratory)

I lazily entered the Science laboratory and navigated my way to my Science teacher's desk. I was told to report to him in the middle of my lunch break.

Like why? I'm having my precious lunch!

"Ms. Jung. Take a sit." Mr. Kim said as soon as I showed up resting my head on the doorframe.

I slowly entered the room and took a sit on the chair in the left front of his desk. I tried to look around the office to get familiar with everything but nothing is interesting so I looked back at Mr. Kim. "What is it about Mr. Kim?" I asked him curiously.

He stopped writing on his notebook and fixed his glasses before throwing me a quick glance. "We're still waiting for someone." He said as he continued to write.

I just shrugged and tried to relax as we wait for that someone.

Ugh I'm hungry. How long am I gonna wait here?

I looked at my wristwatch and realized that I still have 45 minutes left for the next class. How am I supposed to eat lunch? And why is that someone so late?

The nerve.

After a few more moments, I heard rapid footsteps coming our way.

"He's here now." Mr. Kim said as he stood up from his chair and went to the office's door to greet 'someone'.

I did not bother following him. My energy is slowly draining. I need food.

I waited for them to come back and after a few moments Mr. Kim entered with a guy.

Glasses and clean haircut. Kinda tall and holy !

Beautiful.

A typical model student with a nice amount of sweat all over his face.

Sweat on a face looks gross but this guy managed to look hot somehow.

How on earth can he be that pretty?!

"Ms. Jung, meet Jin. Jin, she's Eunji." Mr. Kim introduced us to one another.

I quickly bowed to him for greetings. And so did he. He's tall oh my gosh!

"Take a seat." Mr. Kim told the guy as he sat back to his seat.

This Jin guy sat on the chair opposite of me and gave me a blank face for a moment and shifted his gaze to Mr. Kim.

He looks like some snob modern day prince. Tsk. As if I'm trying to flirt with you. Duh!

"Ok. I called you two here to ask for a favor." Mr. Kim started with his eyes down. "I'm actually having a research and I need help. I couldn't think of anyone else except you two. I need your help." He added and bravely looked at us in the eyes.

Woah. This guy is desperate.

I rolled my eyes secretly and heaved a deep sigh. "Ok."

There was a brief silence before Mr. Kim jumped out of his seat and held my shoulders.

"REALLY?!" Mr. Kim exclaimed with his small eyes turning big. Was he that surprised?

I just nodded and took his hands away from me. "I'm not really busy. And it would be a great honor to be a part of a teacher's research. So I'm fine with it."

"It's fine with me too."

I automatically looked at Jin who just spoke. His voice is nice. Handsome voice. Damn.

Mr. Kim clapped his hands frantically and suddenly gave us a piece of paper each. We looked at him confused. 

"What is this?" We both asked him in unison.

"Written on that are the things you need to do. I know you two are not close but I really want you to be friends for this research. I want you to work together. Is that possible?" He asked obviously hesitant.

I looked at Jin who was surprisingly looking at me as well. Are we thinking the same?

He slowly smiled and looked back at Mr. Kim. "I think it's possible."

He thinks so too? I mean it's not impossible but I'm not fun at all.

 

"Jung Eunji. Noona." I automatically stared at the guy who sarcastically called my full name and saw Kim Seokjin standing in front of my table with a tray. "Can I sit?"

I lazily gave him a nod and continued my business.

"Are you even a girl?" He said as soon as he sat opposite of me and placed his tray on the table.

"Like I care. Can you just eat without examining me? You've been doing that for the last few days. It's annoying." I told him with my forehead creased in knots I couldn't count. 

It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone. Eating comfortably is my motto. And most of all I'm super hungry.

We've been hanging out together for the last 5 days for our research and he's been lecturing me about proper etiquettes and blah blah blah. I should act like a lady should be and such. I should be graceful, modest, classy blah blah. And it's really pushing me to my limits.

I am not a princess.

But amidst all that, I can say that we're getting pretty close. 

"And can you just stop calling me noona? That's weird. As far as I can remember you are 8 months older than me." I added. "The only difference is that I'm a year ahead of you.

He choke on his food but just laughed afterwards. "But I want to call you noona though." He said with his eyes teasing.

I rolled my eyes on him and just continued eating my food. I can't handle him. He's kinda childish. 

It's weird but it suits him though. It gives him a unique charm. He's charming with that childishness and I like it.

Wait.

No.

I was just kidding. What am I talking about? He's definitely a weirdo.