Know My Name

A Gift for Friends - One Shot Collection

Genre(s) Tag: Romance, Drama, Slice of Life, Angst, Dark/Slight Action


Kim Jongin, Kai, is the owner of a busy pub.

Yoo Ada is employed under Jongin as a waitress.

Ada learns there’s more to her boss than he lets on.

Behind his stoic expression and personality, he develops a soft spot for her. But she doesn’t know it until a mafia group shows up at their doorstep.


Summer in Seoul, South Korea. 11:23 P.M.

Ada studied the bottom of her boss’s smokey oxfords as they danced in small circles. His long legs were stretched out and the bottom of his shoes was facing Ada as they settled on the coffee table between them. Unlike his feet, moving to the absence of music, his body and face remained unanimated. Occupying his bony hands was a file, open to a specific page only he knew. Without sparing her a glance he simply asked, “Ms. Ara, have you ever ran a business of your own before?”

The 21-year-old, with waist length golden-brown locks, could see his dark brows and daring pupils peeking out from behind the midnight-blue folder, “Sorry?” she responded. Tone wise she heard him loud and clear but wasn’t prepared for his blunt question.

This time the man casually removed his feet from the table, one after the other, before leaning forward until their eyes met. In his hand he clenched onto the now closed file, bending it 30º, “Have you any idea why CEOs like me hire people like you?”

She wasn’t sure what he meant by ‘like you’ but coming from him she knew better than to take it as a compliment. The half Korean poked the inside of with her tongue. If the man in front of her wasn’t paying her weekly salary then she would have blown up on him a long time ago, “Hmm, to help you?”

The handsome man flashed her an evil grin, “So why aren’t you helping me?” There was a pause, a sign that screamed it was Ada’s turn to speak but she chose to ignore it so he proceeded, “Why were you arguing with the customers? When I pick you up from that low bakery of a place you used to pick up trash for, did you think here will be the same?” He watched as her beautiful hazel eyes lingered on him, yet she stayed quiet. Her right to remain silent annoyed him a little so he lowered his voice and dangerously asked, “Did someone put you in charge of garbage? Why are you running your mouth again, acting like trash? Yoo Ara,”

Before Ada could reply, the two heard a knock at the door. The male scoffed a sigh as he leaned back against his seat, a single couch, eyes glued on Ada. The lass turned to see who had come to save her from her boss’s presence. At the door, a man with dimples poked his head in, “Am I interrupting?” He questioned.

“No,” Ada’s boss’s voice is softer this time and it may be because this Myungsoo is better company than her, “have something for me?”

“Actually it’s about..” Myungsoo trailed off as he locked eyes with Ada for a split second. The lass knew when she wasn't wanted, so quickly she excused herself and left the room as Myungsoo held the door for her. Once she was on her way down the hall, Myungsoo shut the door and turned to the other occupant in the room. The boss was rubbing his forehead with his eyes shut as Myungsoo strode over with a smile.

“Let me guess, she stood up to a customer again?” Myungsoo questioned as he passed the seated a thumb drive.

The latter glanced up when he could sense the arrived standing in front of him. Before he can exchange eye contact with Myungsoo’s sparkling chestnut orbs he grabbed onto the small object and played with it between his slim fingers, then he hummed, “The Wife of EOMs Co-President,”

A funny sound escaped the new comer’s throat before he dropped to the seat nearest him, “Ah her, isn’t that old lady notorious for her nasty behavior? I hear she’s bossy and tends to pull female staffs by the hair, especially if they’re really pretty,” in front of Myungsoo he drew out his ideal of a woman’s waist with his hands.

The other snorted after eyeballing the goofy act, “Are you saying that Ms. Ara is pretty?”

Ignoring his question completely, Myungsoo pointed out, “Ara? Isn’t her name Ada?”

The shameless room owner didn’t bother correcting himself nor his friend, instead he pivoted their conversation to what he hoped the drive contained, “Everything I wanted is in here right?” Myungsoo heaved a breathy hummed before clapping and rubbing his hands together. The other noticed his gesture and chuckled a little, “Why? Got something to say?” He asked in a sportive manner.

“Jongin,” Myungsoo began, the other noticed his smile and gleefulness from before had started to fade, “I paid them a visit today and,” the speaker eyeballed the jade carpet beneath them to build up his courage to continue, “it looks like she’s sick too.”

As he expected, the man identified as Jongin snorted in disgust, “And?”

“It’s—”

Jongin shifted in his seat, he was sitting closer to the armrest farther from Myungsoo, a motion that cut the other off immediately, “I'll remind you for the last time Myungsoo. Either end your visitations or go without giving me updates. It kills the mood, specifically mine,” at this, the silky, black-haired man stood up and headed over to his spacious and empty desk. Before taking a seat, Jongin inserted the thumb drive into a USB port and naturally turn on his computer.

From the lounging space, Myungsoo turned his upper body toward Jongin’s direction, just watching and waiting noiselessly as the other examined the drive’s content.


Free from the stuffy room, Ada found herself approaching the floor manager, here we go she thought. Upon spotting her exit from the hall, the feminine man with messy curls speed walk over to her—almost colliding with her. To avoid causing a scene the man twirled around until he was walking with Ada, shoulder to shoulder. “Psst, so are you fired yet?”

The lass shook her head, “I don’t think so,”

“What do you mean you don’t think so?”

Together the pair conversed as they paced through the all-too-familiar busy pub; first, they stopped at the bar where Ada picked up an ordered tray of three colorful beverages from the bartender. The manager made a face at the bartender when the employee cut the male off briefly so he can direct Ada toward a bar table used by a giggling bunch, one man, and two women.

As Ada balanced the silver platter in one hand, carrying it at shoulder length, the older man followed close behind, “So what’s going to happen? Is our CEO going to let me go? Did he give you a warning? Did he say anything about me? Huh? Yoo Ada?”

At exactly twenty steps Ada robbed the customers' attention. Carefully she handed each of the three their drinks before lowering the tray down, like a shield protecting her stomach, as she kindly replied, “Enjoy,” with a grand smile. On their way back to the main counter Ada could barely recall how many times her name was uttered. Though she tried to calm him down with sweet “nos”, she could tell he was still uneasy. However, she can’t blame him. He’s innately a worrywart.

With her side pressing against the flat-top and her facing her manager, Ada failed to see what was sneaking up on her from behind. “ADA!” before she heard her own name, she felt the strong hands that fell onto her shoulders pulling her down a little. She turned to the side as she recognizes the voice. It was one of her co-workers and colleague. “You’re still here?” a woman, around the same age as her, but with a higher pitched voice asked. “With the look on his face earlier I thought he would have fired you by now,” the brunette with purple contact lenses boldly voiced as she leaned over the counter comfortably.

Ada shrugged, “He probably would have but someone showed up so he didn’t get the chance to.”

“Who?!” the gal and their manager asked simultaneously. Though Ada wondered why the man was still beside her.

“His friend, Kim Myungsoo?”

The manager’s jaw dropped meanwhile the brunette giggled, “Oh that hottie friend of his. I saw him come in, unlike our president he always greets the workers here,” as the woman cupped her cheeks and smile foolishly, the man drew in closer to Ada.

“Did you find out why he’s here?”

Ada chuckled as she turned her back to the bartender, “Do I look like an undercover cop? I’m just a waitress at Triple Ten,”

As expected, he didn’t leave her off the hook, “Cop?” he asked a little high, surprising even himself. Ada only nodded. Though everyone may be blind and deaf to it, Ada always gets the gist that Kim Jongin has another identity. She has seen men, normally in black suits or casual wear go straight to the back where Jongin’s office is located. Even from afar she's caught the guys scanning their surrounding as if to make sure they weren’t followed. But at the same time, it could be that she’s paranoid because of her K-drama freak roommate.

Once she started to zone out, the sound of shots fired brought her back to reality. In front of Ada, the odd one hundred or so people were squatting or covering their heads. Short-lived screams attack her eardrums before she felt the strength of two forcing her toward the ground. As her back slammed against the wooden counter, in the knee space, she can feel her manager seeking coverage behind her a little. Meanwhile, her fellow worker hid her face near the crook of Ada’s neck. “Kai!” the stormy voice of a man shouted over the heads of many, “I know you’re here! Come out now!”

Ada could hear people snuffling as they feared for their lives. Across from her, a man tried to cover a woman with his jacket and then he hushed her, the woman clapped her hands over to keep mute. With the bar tables blocking the front door, Ada could barely make out what was happening.

At the entrance, a man tightens a silencer onto a handgun as to muffle the next gunshots he planned to fire. After a minute or two when the room has quiet down, the sudden noise of a chandelier being shattered frighten the majority. But what shook people to the core was the same alarming voice from before, “Kim Kai!”


In the office, Myungsoo looked over to Jongin who only has thoughts of keeping his own seat warm. “Isn’t that who I think it is?” Myungsoo spoke when he thought Jongin didn’t hear his name being called.

“What do you mean?” Jongin asked lazily.

The other sighed, “Shouldn’t you go out there before they hurt someone?”

Jongin played with the mouse in his hand, scrolling up and down. He scoffed a smile, “You’re not even a new player to their ways,” he mumbled to himself before stating, “they’ll hurt whoever they want regardless whether they see my face or not.” Once he uttered those words, his grin vanished when Myungsoo stood up from his seat.

“Fine,” Myungsoo sighed, “do whatever you want. I gotta use the washroom,” unlike earlier Myungsoo sounded unbothered and as if he could care less. He walked toward the back of the office and into a room with four walls of its own. He kindly shut the door, pocketed his hands, and leaned against it. He gave it ten seconds then he heard the office door open and close. A smile crept up on his pale face.

Jongin rubbed his nape and arched his thick brows when he came face to face with a built man his height. The bald man has a tattoo of a black dragon crawling out from under his shirt and wrapped around his wide neck. Despite the unwanted guest’s menacing look, compare to Jongin’s clean visual, it almost seemed like a bluff in disguise. Other than his loud voice and rough appeal, the aura he carried didn’t scream ‘take cover!’ like Jongin’s did.

The man with ten others standing behind him spoke with his golden teeth exposed, “Kai, baby brother. You didn’t change your number again, did you? I couldn’t get a hold of you ever since..you know.”

For a short while, Ada wondered why she kept hearing the word ‘Kai’ until she finally caught on that it was her boss’s name. Or at least what the gunman referred to him as. Unlike the intruder who stood with his legs spread wide apart, Jongin balanced all of his weight on one leg as his hands fished around in his pockets for who-knows-what. Jongin, who was used to having an audience, didn’t bother looking anywhere else but at the baldie. “Well, you know what they say. No news is good news,”

An eerily chuckle tickled the nameless man’s throat, “Oh, but that excuse only applies to the normal people in the normal world—a world in which Kai doesn’t belong,”

Jongin wasn’t the least fazed. Kai isn’t his preferred nickname and he would have liked it more if no one knew of it, though he was aware that the man only knew him by Kai, “What do you want from me? I thought we agreed not to recklessly trespass each other’s property?”

“You can take that up with him. After all, I’m only here on his commands.”

Ada watched as Jongin cocked his head to the other side, looking more displease than ever. Her visual was suddenly disturbed when the man beside her spoke. “Who are these guys? Why is President Kim talking to them instead of kicking them out? Seriously..” she heard the manager question in an upset tone. Glancing over at him, she didn’t blame him for throwing a small fit. They were all very uncomfortable in their hiding spots and fetus positions.

When Ada focused on Jongin, she noticed his lips weren't moving but someone was speaking. She figured it was another one of the outsiders, “Did you purposely send your men overseas so they couldn’t be track?” Men? She thought. Now that she pieced their conversation together it sounded awkward and as if they were sworn enemies of some sort.

Jongin scoffed a hearty chuckle, “So you guys were keeping an eye on us after all,” he then heaved a hefty sigh of disbelief, “but why?”

Though the older male’s face was blocked from Ada’s view, she could tell by his voice that he wasn’t as playful as her boss. Or rather, wasn’t as patient. “Why would you hide them if you’re not up to no good. Big Boss didn’t like it so he sent me to get the answers from you, however….” finally after what seemed like a long time, the man finally scan the full room. “Would you tell me the reason here, in front of your customers or would you prefer to do it alone elsewhere?”

Neither of the options given to him was to his liking nor in his favor. So with a quick smack of his lips, Jongin smiled, “Hmm. Finally, you’re a big boy now with a little team of your own,” he mocked the gang with delight, “but even with that many sidekicks, you should be careful. I don’t know about you but if I dragged myself onto enemy territory, the first thing I wouldn’t do is threaten the landowner. Now regarding the two lame choices you gave me,” Jongin smirked, “are you asking for a good spanking?”

Just as Ada thought, no matter who Jongin speak to dodging questions seemed to be his forte.

Jongin’s remark had some workers and bystanders snickering under their breath. A grumpy snort left the lungs of the bald man as he spat, “That’s it! Just die already!” the sound of a gun’s safety was heard then everything froze for a moment. After one shot was fired to shake up the crowd once more, the sound of police siren filled the air seconds later. It grew louder and louder which flustered the intruders. “Who phoned the cops?!”

Ada held her phone behind her back as she pressed it against the wood with her weight.

“Sir, let’s get out of here first. You’re on probation remember?” one of his minions suggested in a horrified tone. As the men became light on their feet and began to scatter out all at once, the scream of a woman alarmed the rest.

“Blood!” she screeched.

Ada felt the hands of her manager weighing down on her shoulder, “Did someone say blood?” he asked with a shaky voice. From the direction of the scream and sudden chaos, Ada knew Jongin must have gotten shot. Without a word she removed herself from being in between her co-workers as she rushed over to check, phone clutched in her hand.

“President—!” Ada’s eyes widen and her jaw dropped a little. Jongin’s had his right hand clapped over his left arm. Seeping through his jacket and painting his fingers was the color red. The pain was written all over Jongin’s face but the lad had the guts to smile when he saw a white device in Ada’s grip. Playing from it was the sound of sirens. Quietly he locked gazes with her, unlike her taken-aback self, he was rather calm.

The man grinned, “Man, kids these days are quite creative aren’t they?”

Dropping next to Jongin was the bartender, “Are you alright boss?” his raspy tone was tinted with worries, “Let’s get you to the hospital.”


Waiting outside of the ICU room Ada’s shoulders had once again become a headrest for her two female co-workers, the same brunette, and an older Chinese woman. As the ladies dozed off, Ada was kept awake by the three men sitting across from her. Her manager was sitting in between the bartender and a male waiter, his eyes bloodshot from trying to stay awake.

Ada’s phone was still in her hand as she turned it on. Pursing her lips, she wondered where her boss’s friend was. She opened up her email and reread the messages.

[11:37 PM] Unknown Number: Yoo Ada?

[11:37 PM] Unknown Number: This is Kim Myungsoo.  

[11:39 PM] Ada: It looks like President Kim is in trouble

[11:39 PM] Unknown Number: I know. Will you help me with something?

[11:40 PM] Ada: Anything

[11:41 PM] Unknown Number: You’re in a good internet spot. I need you to open YouTube

[11:43 PM] Ada: https://www.youtube.com/police-siren. First video.

[11:43 PM] Unknown Number: Perfect. I’ll play the same video for them outside.

Ada sighed thinking back to the scene before. For some reason, the idea of playing sirens came to her and briefly she felt powerful then when the bad guys left with their tails tucked between their legs. Working in Jongin’s pub hasn’t been the easiest but it’s been the most exciting job for her. She is no fan of gore or thriller, but she loved it when an event gets her adrenaline going. Once Ada turned off her phone, she could see a figure approaching from the corner of her eyes. Glancing over she recognized the man, Myungsoo. But she wasn’t the only one who noticed it, across from her the bartender got up to greet him down the hall. From her locked down position Ada couldn’t make out what the two were discussing but it seemed serious.

Then coming from her left she heard a beep before the sliding doors open and let a man through. An elderly with a long white coat strode over then cleared his throat when Myungsoo and the bartender rushed to him. “Is he alright?” Myungsoo asked.

“Your friend got lucky again. It was just a glaze. We’ve stitched and covered up his wound. He should regain conscious soon. For now, we’ll transfer him to a recovery room,”

“Thank you uncle,” Myungsoo said with a reassured smile. Now that all of the workers were awake, they look to one another for an explanation. Was Jongin’s friend the doctor’s nephew? Ada bit her lower lip, did she hear him say ‘again’?

An hour later Jongin woke up to a Myungsoo shaking his head. The standing had his arms folded across his chest as he asked, “Are you awake? You’ve been sleeping all day.” Somehow Jongin managed to smile weakly at his friend.

“This is not good, I’m still alive.”

Myungsoo scoffed before he forced out an irritated sigh, “I just came back from your place and it’s a mess,” the handsome man took a seat on the bed, sitting on the edge a little out of consideration for Jongin’s leg. “Looks like someone was waiting to attack you. I could smell gasoline coming out and around your house. It’s dangerous, they’ll find you soon,”

On his own, Jongin propped himself up but grunted when his arm stung. Myungsoo’s brows softened as he reached an arm out to help the wounded, but Jongin stopped him with a raise of right hand, “I’m fine,”

Right after Jongin relaxed in his new position, Myungsoo tried to convince him, “I’ve found a way for you to get out for a while. It’s safe and no one would be able to find you—”

“Myungsoo,” the ruthless man interrupted, “I’m not leaving Seoul,” he stated dully.

Despite his boldness, Myungsoo didn’t back down, “You have to. Hiding is not a weakness Jongin. Neither is running away. Take my advice and use the time to rest and recover. You’ve been very tense ever since his death. You need to relax.”

Jongin avoided eye contact as a smug was seen plastered on his face, “I’m bracing myself for war; his death is unrelated. Just a pathetic reality if you ask me.” Rather than going back and forth with him, Myungsoo exhaled deeply as he pulled out a plane ticket from his jacket pocket.

He waved it at Jongin before setting it down on the man’s lap which were hidden under the plain white sheets, “If you accept this plane ticket, the one who saved your life and has agreed to be your caretaker, for the time being, will be waiting for you at the airport tomorrow at 9 A.M. If you choose not to go then considered our friendship over because if you stay here you’re good as dead. I don’t want to know that my friend Jongin will die,” Myungsoo got up from his seat, “I packed whatever I could and what I thought you’ll need,” from under the bed Myungsoo dragged out a silver luggage. Once Jongin’s saw the object, Myungsoo pushed it back in. “Your employees seemed pretty worried but I’ve sent them all home. Get some rest and don’t worry about your pub. I’ll close it down temporarily and keep it guarded while you’re gone,” Myungsoo stood up and slapped his hands together of dust.   

“They’ll come for you if I’m not here,” Jongin spoke with cautious this time.

Myungsoo smiled for the first time, “Did you forget? My first uncle is the doctor here, my father is a judge, my mother a lawyer, and my youngest uncle is chief of police. They can’t touch a hair on my body.”

Of course, he didn’t forget. Myungsoo came from such a powerful family that always had Jongin questioning whether he was worthy of Myungsoo’s friendship. A small, painful smile escaped Jongin’s chapped lips, “It must be nice having such a powerful family,” he mumbled. Myungsoo hummed.

“What’s nicer is that you’re like the second son my family never had,”

Jongin knew Myungsoo was sincere but he hates to admit it. If Jongin was truly Myungsoo’s biological brother, Myungsoo would be very disappointed and ashamed to share a surname with him.


To protect his identity Jongin wore sunglasses and a black cap that matched the rest of his outfit. Rolling behind him was the luggage Myungsoo had stowed for him. Glancing around Jongin made sure no one was staring nor was he followed as he head to one part of the airport. Recalling briefly, the ticket Myungsoo had given him mentioned Egypt. Why Egypt? Jongin didn’t know. Until he came face to face with a familiar gal.

Standing before him was a woman with wavy golden locks, her pale skin was covered in a blue-sleeved blouse and gray linen trouser. Hanging around her shoulder was a faded-black bag with a dark chain. Sitting upright next to her was a smaller traveling case. Jongin ripped his sunglass off so he could get a better look at her, “Yoo Ara?” The lass waved to him once to draw him closer. As Jongin closed the gap between them, he snapped the glasses' temple around his collar meanwhile wearing a smirk at the same time. “You’re not the savior and caretaker Myungsoo speak of, are you?”

Ada raised her brows, “Guess I am..?”

Jongin snickered with a shook of his head, then he walked up to her until she had to tilt her head up a little to meet his gaze. The man eyeballed her non-typical Asian orbs before he said, “In that case, I guess I owe you one.”

Ada could smell Jongin’s unexplainable scent as she bobbed her head, “All I ask is for you to know my name. I’m not Ara, I’m Ada.” From her fisted hand to her stern expression, Jongin could only assume she must have held some grudge against him.

“Deal, as long as you forget you’ve heard the name ‘Kai’,” without waiting for a reply, Jongin moved away from her first. Taking a few steps back he glanced around for their next destination. A breathy smile was drawn on his tanned face, “Egypt, I wonder what it has in store for me.” As he passed her, their shoulders barely touching, Ada turned around to watch him. The man walked away, heels touching the floor first, his hands hidden in his pants pocket as if nothing had happened.

When Ada first spotted Jongin coming in, she wanted to run up to him and ask how he was feeling. After all her life suddenly took a strange turn and she couldn’t help but feel that Jongin was used to the activities similar to last night. When Jongin was being relocated in the hospital, Myungsoo had sent everyone home but kept Ada afterward. The young man somehow discovered that Ada had requested a week off from work to go back home, to Egypt. He promised Jongin would explain everything to her, but by the looks of it, it’ll be hard to get Jongin to tell her anything.

On the plane, Jongin sat next to the rectangular clean window, while Ada was closer to the aisle. She silently watches him from the side as he stared out the glass. “Ah,” in a matter of seconds Jongin’s gaze was on her, “Myungsoo said Egypt was your idea, true?”

Ada blinked a few times. She has never seen her boss so gentle and casual before. He was always either giving everyone the cold shoulder or speaking down to them, “Yes..,”

“What’s good about Egypt?”

The memories of her childhood and upbeat mother flooded her mind and vision for a moment, “It’s my hometown,”

Jongin looked her up and down, “You’re Egyptian? Then what business you got doing in Seoul?”

Ada cleared as non-disgustingly-disturbing as she could. Her fingers played near her knees before she gripped her trouser, “Studying and….” she paused for a moment, wondering if she should give him the full details. Does he even care about the specifics? She decided to give it a try, after all, he’s not a stranger. “Trying to find my father.”

“In Seoul?”

She nodded. Jongin’s ability to keep the conversation going started to warm her up, “Hmm. My father is Korean. He was a University student studying in Egypt, that’s how my parents met. My mother would never tell me everything except that he went back to South Korea to pursue his family’s business,”

Jongin was resting his head on the seat as he studied Ada closely, “Name?”

“Huh?”

“His name or the business’s name,”

Ada pursed her lips, “...I'm not sure,”

Beside her, Jongin folded his arms across his chest as he slouched in his seat. “It’s a small world. If he still resides in South Korea then you’ll find him.” after a short while he rested his eyes and stayed quiet. Ada observed Jongin’s unmoving long lashes for a while before facing forward.

Cairo, Egypt. 1 P.M.

They finally arrived eleven restful hours later.

Jongin stretched as they leave the airport. After taking the different view in, Jongin searched for Ada for further instructions. From a few yards away he saw her hailing a cab. As the sun blazed over them at 35℃/96F, Jongin eventually followed Ada into the cab. Meanwhile, the lass gives the dark-skin driver directions, Jongin sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Sometime later they were dropped off in front of a set of stairs surrounded by two tall brick buildings. The yellowish-dusty steps had cracks in them and were crooked despite it being a one-way path. While the man processed everything, Ada was already carrying her case up the stairs. Once she came to the seventh step and realized Jongin was not behind her, she stopped to turn her head and body. As she readjusts her hold around the case and saw that Jongin looked uncertain, she kindly soothed him, “My place is just up these steps.”  

She then continued on leading as Jongin scanned his surrounding. Playing children on the streets and bypassers stared at him with warm interests. Despite the watchers being mostly women and kids, Jongin still felt the need to have his guards up. Who knows if someone may even jump him in Egypt.

After thirty or so steps Jongin was standing outside of Ada’s home. His leather shoes were slightly touched with dirt. The front door was left wide open for him, as he peeked inside to see nothing but darkness, then slowly a young girl came to the door. She was a young teen from what Jongin could make out. The girl looked at him for a split second before running back inside screaming what Jongin knew to be his employee’s name.

In under a minute Ada was being shoved toward the front door by the girl. Jongin could only contemplate the scene unfolding before him. Coming up beside Ada the girl spoke in a foreign language as she pointed toward the Korean man. Judging by her breaking a sweat he could tell she was worried about his identity. When Ada wrapped a hand around the younger girl’s shoulder and seemed to be consoling her, Jongin finally breaks the ice between him and them.

“Your sister?” he asked.

Looking up at him she smiled, “Yes, she’s not used to visitors,”

Unknowingly Jongin shimmered a smile at her but the shy girl kept still, “She doesn’t look like you,” he pointed out. Ada looked mix but her sister was fully Egyptian with chocolate pupils, wavy jet black hair, and pinker skin.

“Ah, we’re stepsisters,”

Jongin broke his gaze away from the young girl and searched for Ada’s instead, “If it’s uncomfortable I can check into a motel. I saw one on our way here—”

She quickly cut him off. He was her guest, after all, it wouldn’t be right to send him off into a land he’s a foreigner in. Plus she knows the feeling of being an outsider better than anyone else around, “It’s fine. We have two rooms. Besides, it’s better if someone else tends to your wound  and keep you well fed.” She insisted.

Jongin glanced quickly at his arm before tittering, “This will eventually take care of itself and becomes a scar, nothing more nothing less, there’s no need for special treatment,”

Ada was just as uncomfortable as he was, but she wanted to make sure he healed completely. However, before she could convince him to stay the ringing of a house phone suddenly interrupted them. Without having to be told, Ada’s step-sister rushed in to answer the call.

While Jongin waits for Ada to get on the same page as him, she was distracted by something else. As she exposed a pearl earring by pushing her locks behind one ear, she kicked the dirt and waited if she’s wanted. Instead, silence ate up their little time together then out came the horrified girl, she grabbed and dug into Ada’s forearms as she relays whatever news she received over the phone.

Something was wrong by the look on the taller and older girl’s expression. Jongin watched as Ada moved her sister’s hand into her own and tightened it, then the lass turned to him with a look of surprise and recognition, “Sorry something came up. Would you mind staying here just until I get back?” Needless to say another word, the pair of siblings left in a hurry. At the top of the stairs, Jongin pondered if he should follow them or stay.


Exiting from the cab stopped just behind the girls’, Jongin turned to the building just next to him. Inside the cab, he could hear the driver demanding for money. Luckily for someone like Jongin, he’s good at picking up things fast and quickly. The lad pulled out the money he and Ada had converted at the airport and shoved a good handful into the man’s open palmed. The driver’s eyes widen as he gleefully takes the money.

The Korean man shut the door and inspect his spot. He could see patients, visitors, and workers coming and going, but what were the sisters doing at the hospital? Thanks to his long legs and stride, it was easy to find and catch up to them. Down the hallway, he caught them disappearing into a room but in less than a second they were pushed out by someone in nurse wear. The woman tried to calm them down all the while keeping them out. When the nurse successful closed the door on them, Ada rubbed her sister’s trembling hands as she tried to comfort her.

“Ada! Abi!” Sneaking up from behind Jongin was an elder lady. Once the slightly hunched lady passed him, he saw how she tried to run over to them. How Ada held out an arm for her to give her some reassurance. How the woman cried as she touched the sister's face and wrapped her arm around Ada’s waist.

Knowing that he doesn’t fit in, Jongin leaned against the wall just out of sight. Once in a while he’d poke his head out from around the corner and check to see the occurrences. As time passes the trio had settled down on the bench closest to the room. Until a man with a long coat came out to greet them. Jongin, who was out of hearing range, tried to read Ada’s facial and emotions to get a hint of what was happening. But her back was turned when her younger sister and the woman entered the room.

Instead of moping around until he’s noticed, Jongin left the premises well after he managed to get a glimpse of the room’s interior. Outside he found himself an unoccupied seat just under the ceiling’s shade. “...looks like she’s sick too.” Myungsoo’s words and voice rang in his head. It never occurred to him that he was spacing out so Jongin didn’t catch the slim figure settling down next to him.

Ada hid her fingers in-between the cracks where her thighs and the smooth rock bench meet. Though his body said he was relaxed, his hard and stern expression showed otherwise. So she tried to be careful when reaching out to him, Jongin reacted to her hand brushing against his shoulder first before looking her in the eyes. The disconcert in his gaze amused her a little, she didn’t know he could be so jumpy, then she asked, “Can I see it?” Without a doubt, she was referring to his wound, but Jongin was distracted with something else.

“Is the reason why you’re looking for your father related to the woman I saw in the room?”

Now Ada knew why Jongin was so successful despite his age and lack of family support. At work employees know Jongin as the orphaned smart, charismatic CEO of Triple Ten who built his own status and castle. The man is very direct and always achieved whatever he set his mind to. There was no use lying to him, “My mother wants to know if the man she once loved and cared for if he can remember her. It’s silly to think he has forgotten about her if she was truly his first love. She’s desperate and stubborn, that’s why I want to meet him just once. If you were him, do you think you’ll remember your first love?”

When silence filled the air, hope filled Ada. She thought he would genuinely answer her with a sincere heart, but his words struck her in a bad way, “It’s stupid for her to wonder if he still remembers. Whether he does or doesn’t, his action and choice to leave her for his family business should have told her everything. He wasn’t interested.”

Ada combed her hair back as she blew out a deep breath, then she sneered, “You’ve fooled me, President. I never thought you’d be good at reading people you’ve never actually met along with their family affairs. I feel sorry for your deceased parents. I can see why they left someone like you,” when Ada stood to leave, Jongin seized her wrist and squeezed it as he shot up from his seat as well. Ada winced and out of reflex she grabbed and tried to push Jongin’s hand away.

The man yanked her closer to him before stating in a cold, harsh tone, “Get your facts straight. They didn’t leave me. I left them.” Ada twisted her trapped hand before wrenching it free from Jongin’s hot touch. A smirk was drawn across his face with satisfaction. “See you at home Ara,” without another sound he left the lass to rub her wrist as she glared his direction. Even after Jongin was out of sight, Ada was still breathing heavily from the anger building up within her and being in a state of disbelief.


“You did what?!” Jongin moved the phone away from his ear when the voice attacked his eardrum, then slowly brought it back.

“What didn’t you get the first time? I’m homeless in an alien country. Get me out of here before I join an Egyptian gang,”

On the other end, he could hear Myungsoo sigh, “I told you to use this time to recover. I even went through the troubles of asking someone like Ada, a beautiful, kind, and young woman to look after you. You should be grateful rather than trying to run home every chance you get.”

Jongin chuckled, “Just because she looks good in an apron at the bar doesn’t mean she’s a very good caretaker. Besides, your reckless action just burdens her. Now she’s got to care for two.”

“What? Two?”

A soft hum left Jongin’s lips, “Apparently her mother’s sick.”

There was a pause on Myungsoo’s end before he spoke, “Wow. At least you both got something in common.”


The weather was cooler when night time came. Jongin stood outside of the unlocked but shut front door to Ada’s home. It was almost ten and the girls were nowhere in sight. Kicking rocks and glancing toward the sky with stars painted on it, the sound of footsteps suddenly alerted him. Coming up from the steps he could make out his employee of nearly one year. The lass stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed him. Then as he diverted his whole self her direction, the woman began moving up again. Until she got to the door and he said, “I know where he is,” slowly but surely she turned to face him with uncertainty on her face, “I found your father.”

Inside of the tiny yet spacious living room, Ada sat across from Jongin patiently as the man had his phone in hand and was pulling up a site for her. Though Jongin appeared perfectly fine, the anger she once felt had still yet to melt. The man made a click of his tongue as he set the device down on the table facing her direction. “Him,”

Ada looked over from her place, a bibliography page was opened with an image of a smiley man. Examining the picture, the familiar face started playing in her head.

“Your friend got lucky again…” The doctor’s face flashed before her. “It was just a glaze. We’ve stitched up the wound…” She recalled how he smiled at each individual when he relied the good news regarding Jongin’s state. “He should regain conscious soon. For the time being, we will move him into a recovery room when it’s prepared.”

“Thank you uncle,” Myungsoo had smiled and bow. Ada couldn’t believe her eyes.

“The doctor that looked after you,” she whispered just loud enough for Jongin to hear.

“Dr. Yoo Jungpyo. Studied in Egypt with a major in Clinical Laboratory Science. Returned to South Korea to carry on his family’s heritage. Small world, he’s the uncle of a friend of mine. Is your mother’s name Ula, 44, born on May 6th, an only child and majored in Physician Assistance?”  

Ada’s breathing picked up again except the cause for it was different. She was speechless but was able to force out a “But how?”

Jongin opened up his recent logs and showed her an unidentified number, “I just got off the phone with him,” a smile crept up on his face, “everything I told you just now was the things he had told me.”

She furrowed her brows, “What..?”

“He remembers your mother and,” Jongin stopped to lean against the old, weary couch, “he remembers Yoo Ada. The reason why you were keen on me knowing your name was because you thought if more people call you by your real name then your father will recognize you if he’s nearby. Right?”

Ada got the chills and trembled a little, yet at the same time she felt relief, “How did you….” Jongin stopped her with a shake of his head.

“Finding people is one of my special skills,”


Jongin grunted, he wasn’t sure which was worse; Ada forcing him to keep an image of Dr. Yoo opened on his phone or her unwrapping and rewrapping his arm over and over again on purpose. When the lass tightened the bandage, Jongin bit his lips to prevent himself from making any noise. “There,” she said petting it down for the nth time, “it looks well done this time.”

It was obvious that the woman was trying to hide her embarrassment by distracting him with groundless excuses and actions. After hearing about her father’s identity, she got choked up about how they have missed each other. Her eyes were still slightly red when she was working on him. To pretend that he wasn’t aware of her current situation, Jongin casually changed the topic. Myungsoo have done the same to him and it helped him back then. “Who told you my parents are dead?”

Ada froze up a little. Though his voice carried warmth, she needed to be careful in case he randomly lashed out like before, “No one did but it’s an assumption at work. No one has ever seen your parents.”

“That’s because they live in the cooler,” Jongin hugged himself a little with his arms crossed, “prison.” He flashed her a dimple—if he had one—, “I’ll tell you a secret but you gotta promise me something.”

Knowing Jongin, Ada could only guess why he’d make her promise, either he will use her promise against her in the future or use it to his advantage. But her curiosity exceeded all else. “Promise?” she answered as she keeps her hands to herself.

“Promise you won’t stop being my savior and caretaker.”

Ada thankfully beamed, “How can I be either or when I’m out of your league?”

Her comment sounded bizarre to him so he let out a hefty chuckle, “Yoo Ada, the only difference between us is that we’re two different people. No one here is better than the other. Now,” he looked deeply into her eyes, “want to hear my secret or?”

Without further excuses, she bobbed her head, “May I?”

The corner of Jongin’s lips curled even higher as he began with a click of his tongue, “I once lived with my parents and an older brother, who I really respected, in a tiny homely space. Since I was with my family I didn’t mind its shabbiness, but my family did. They would always say and hint that we needed to get out, to become bigger and better than the two-bed sheets we shared. When my brother said he got a job and is saving up, I thought it meant he was finally going to get that television we both had wanted. The heavy one that doesn’t come with a remote controller but a VHS cassette player.” Jongin smiled as he reminisced his good times, “But instead he brought home the substance that killed what I thought was my family, drugs, specifically crystal meth and . My brother was the distributor. My parents and I were his test subjects.”

Ada’s heart dropped a little. Who would have guessed someone like Jongin came from such background?

“To keep me in school and at the same time addicted, every day he’d give me just a little for me to make it through the day. I was 13, addicted, and altered. And so was my parents. Their tempers shorten, they lacked common sense and the motivation to find work. Responsibility was no longer a word to them. The young couple that gave me life tried to take it away from me. They almost succeeded too if it hadn’t been for the neighbor,” there was a long pause as the lad looked straight ahead of him. He stared at the gray television that sat on a short wooden table. “Thrown into jail after drugs have been found in their systems,” he said as he ruffled his own hair roughly, “I ran. I was afraid. I was scared of them, my parents and brother, the police, the people.” A sigh escaped Jongin’s cracked lips, “Then at 16 I met my friend Kim Myungsoo, an heir to a family I could only dream of having. He was my therapist, my friend, a comrade, my older…kin. He helped me get off drugs. He hid, fed, and clothed me. Got my first job as a ramen delivery boy thanks to him. But because of him, I ran into my older brother.”

Jongin scoffed, “He was never caught and punished for what he had done. Instead, he was protected by one of the largest mafia gang in Seoul. For five years anger ate at me. I wanted to personally be the one to punish him. But the last I heard of him was when he fired at a police officer but was shot and killed instead. The group that showed up at the pub is the same group he used to run with. They said that my brother messed up. He ruined their last trade and led the police to them. They wanted me to finish what he had started, but they were too late.” This time he exchanges gazes with Ada who has been nothing but a good listener, “I was already leading the best gang in Seoul.”


The cotton couch was Jongin’s bed for the night and Ada’s living room his crash site. At a distant Ada observed the sleeper, who was blanketed by his own jacket. Her knuckles supported her chin as she thought in silence. The man before her have come out as a mafia leader but was also the same man who found her father for her. Questions tickled her mind but she mentally shoved it aside in order to get closer to him.

Her knees touched the carpet as she studied her boss’s features directly. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, she thought, to be able to live and breathe as an average citizen while being in the same room as some gang leader.

“In my stead, Myungsoo pays the woman who gave birth to me visits. He told me she’s sick. A before a fever I heard. Soon she might be joining her husband in the hospital. That man is brain dead from all the overdoses and self-inflicted abuse.”

“You must have heard something about sending my men abroad. Well, one of my personnel hacked into their second in command’s social media. And messages between him and an unidentified man were recorded. Some of my business’s private information and activities were leaked out to the nemesis as well as copied to a flash drive. I parted my men out to catch the spy, the Fly I call him. To catch the Fly, each man was told different stories. His identity will be revealed soon once he leaks out the information he’s been fed.”

An unknown force brought Ada’s hand over Jongin’s face as she brushed his locks to the side. Her shadow was drawn over his resting face. For a brief moment, Ada felt peace beside him. She wasn’t concerned about anything else and the doctor’s advice from before was nearly forgotten. “Your mother’s disease has hit another stage. As you know her disease is very rare here in Egypt. I’m sorry to say but our hospital may not have all of the proper gears to continue with treatment. I’m aware that you’ve covered her here financially for the next six months but it is now up to luck to save her. I’m truly sorry.”  Ada had started to doze off when she heard the violent vibration of a phone. Peeping up she tiredly scanned the room for the sound. She noticed it was Jongin’s cell, the device had fallen out of his pants pocket and was buzzing near his thigh.

Though her mind was blank, she reached for it and took the call half-asleep, and mumbling.

“Ada?” the mysteriously familiar voice shook her out of her drowsy state. Eyes widened and ears perked, she gulped before answering more seriously.

“..Who is this?” before the caller was given the chance to reply she interjected, “Dr. Yoo..?” It was almost neat how Ada could remember the sound of the elder’s voice. There was a silence as she clutched onto Jongin’s phone, nervous and afraid of what she would hear. The image Jongin showed her of Dr. Yoo played in front of her.

“Ah…. My Ada.”

The lass heart began to pump rapidly. Her hands and fingers shook on an empty stomach and due to slight fear. His voice was that conducting of a good doctor; it warms the cold heart, fills the hungry, and comfort the sad. “Doctor—”

“Father,” the man corrected her, “call me father Ada.”

Before she realized it, her vision was blurry and tears abscond from her eyes. “Fa—ther. Is it really you?”

“It’s really me. I’m here Ada.”

It couldn’t be helped. Ada let out all of her frustration at once, “Why did you leave my mom? What did she do to deserve you leaving her? Why were you so heartless? Why?!”

Her scream woke Jongin and immediately a worried expression was plastered on his face. “Ada, are you okay?” He sat up enough for her jump into his arms. She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck as she bit her wrist to stop herself from further venting, she squeezed the electronic in her grip as hard as she could. It was embarrassing to show herself in front of Jongin, especially when she had just learned about his past. But at the same time, she just wanted to be comforted by his icy voice. Jongin, who have caught wind of Dr. Yoo’s voice calling for Ada, stopped. Uncomfortable, he pulled the jacket out from being snuggled between them. There he felt Ada’s breathing pattern, her warmth, her s, her body pressing and surrounding him.

Without a say, he held her around the waist. Then from the corner of his eyes, he noticed Myungsoo’s uncle was still on the phone. “Dr. Yoo,” he began, “please speak.” Though the phone wasn’t in his ear, it was still in hearing distance.

The male on the other end did as he was told, “Jongin. I’ve got ahold of the hospital Ada’s mother is in and was able to speak to Ula’s personal doctor. Her medical and hospital records were faxed to me and according to the specialists there, Ula needs a bone marrow transplant as soon as possible. The facility where she’s kept lack the right treatment equipment for Ula. We discussed transferring Ula over to my hospital since we do provide the conventional instruments. If Ada will give us permission, I will fly out there myself and transfer Ula. Also,” there was a pause as if he was contemplating whether to go on or not. After Ada have quieted down and was listening, Jongin pushed the older to continue with a hum. “I may have found a match..but..”

“But?” Jongin asked.

“You’ve been a patient at my hospital ever since thirteen Jongin. According to the computer and our system, you’re her match.”

[One year later] South Korea. 2 PM.

His gaze was fixed on the messy black and gray-haired, older woman while she rocked back and forth in her chair. Her eyes moved in circles as if she was tracing a circular design on the glass window. “I bet you miss Jongun, don’t you?” the man asked with his arms folded across his hard chest. The woman ignored him and mumbled gibberish. This time the lad leaned forward, “I just wanted to inform you that I signed the paper. I pulled his plug yesterday.”

The woman stopped swinging around slightly as she looked at him. Her gaze was dead. There was no life in her eyes; her body was merely a vessel. The woman gave him a freaky smile before keeping a straight face, “Jongun. But you told us. You told us to do that to Jongin,” her blunt tone made her sound robotic. “There’s a reason we abandoned you, Jongun. You’re a threat.”

Jongin furrowed his brows, “What?”

“Jongun!” the woman slammed her hands against the window, “You’re hurting your little brother! Save him! Save us! Save this family! The powder you gave us. You said it will make the family stronger. You lied to me, you lied to us. But give us more. Give Jongin more! Kill Jongin!”

Horror was written all over his face as a security woman entered the room, behind her the younger female tried to calm and stop her. “Sorry but visiting hours are over,” she said directly to Jongin before escorting the elder out. Jongin didn’t know what to think so he scoffed and his lips.

Outside the building, he pocketed his hands when a familiar face approached him. “Did she respond to news of your dad?” Myungsoo asked.

Jongin sneered, “Yeah. She blew up. But was it related to him?” he shrugged at his own indirect question before adding, “Who knows right?”

His friend put on a smile to support him, “I heard you’re meeting the whole family for dinner tonight for the first time.”

The change of topic lightened Jongin’s mood and he replied with a loud sigh, “Isn’t it great, I’m your cousin-brother-in-law?”

Myungsoo chuckled, “That’s a weird way to put it. Plus I thought you hated long titles, isn’t it why you stuck with Kai in the past.”

“I got that from you, L.” The two laughed a little together before Jongin asked, “Has the Fly been replaced yet?”

Myungsoo nodded, “Absolutely. You know how easy it is to find people willing to work for you as a bartender? Don’t worry, I did a thorough background check on him, definitely not spy material.” The speaker dragged out his voice bringing a smile to the other. Jongin bobbed his head, satisfied with Myungsoo’s words.

“Great. See you at tonight’s gathering then?”

“I’ll be there. But where are you in a hurry to?” Myungsoo asked.

Jongin took a few steps back before revealing his plans, “I’ve got a date with Ada before dinner services.”

The other showed him a dimple, “It’s good, that you know her name now.”

Jongin waved to him as he took off on foot, traveling down the busy sidewalk. Then the lad stopped at a crosswalk, looking across through the large window of a cafe, he eyeballs her graceful motions. Slowly but surely Ada turned to meet his gaze, where she smiled and gestured for him to go over. The male noticed a familiar figure sitting across from Ada. The second female, Ula, showed him a kind and heartwarming smile as she waved to him.

Finally.

A family Jongin can call his own.


A/N: Thank youuuuuuuuuu so muchoooo to anyone and everyone who read this long and I mean LONG one shot. This one shot ended up having 9.5Kish words. I didn’t expect the first one shot to take nearly a week-long, gah I’m so sorry >_< Anywho I really cramped my brain juices for this one gift for my lovelyz Natocuty. One of my Inspirit friends around that I really adore and I’m so happy to be given the opportunity to become friends with you here on AFF. And to be able to review stories together! Sorry if I’m not the best/motivated shop owner you’ve/you’ll ever work with, but it’s really been a pleasure seeing you now and then (I hope I get to continue seeing you around xD). Sending you Infinitely, Lovelyz, and Golden (Child) hearts! Ah and again I really love the summary/plot idea you gave me cause I am very satisfied with this one shot <3 I hope Ada was sort of how you expected/wanted her to be. I at OCs T_T I know you wanted action too and though I love writing/watching action, I somehow leaned more into the drama and angsty genres. It’s also my first time writing Kai as the protagonist (not that he was ever a main antagonist..) so thank you :D Ko Ko Bop fighting!

Word count: 9551