That year, no one knew what they wanted to do.

YOUTH.

 

 

That night as Seungri sat at his desk and did his last minute homework, he thought back to the pretty girl on the TV screen a few hours ago and was surprised to find that he didn't really even remember her face anymore. 

“Yah, kid.” A voice called out to him from outside his window. He buried his head further into his work book and covered with head with his hand as if he couldn't hear. 

“What are you doing? Yah, your hyung is talking to you.” 

Seungri scoffed before finally looking up and out of his window, and surely enough, not even 5 meters away, stood Jiyong grinning at him from his bedroom balcony. 

“Ey, arasso hyung.” Seungri scrunched his nose into a childish pout “I thought you weren't talking to me.” 

Jiyong raised his eyebrows “Are you still angry from this afternoon? Aish, Maknae you're so petty. You know I bully you because I love you the most~” He sang-songed.

Seungri glared at him before turning back to his homework “Whatever. I thought you said Daesung was your favourite Dongsaeng last week.” 

“Aigoo~ Uri makdoong!” Jiyong laughed and leaped on to the rails of his balcony, keeping himself from falling only by the one hand gripping the railings.

“Yah hyung, what are you doing? Get back on the ground!” Seungri widened his eyes in shock. “You’re gonna fall and die, and I’m going to take the blame.” 

Jiyong had a stupid smile on his face the Seungri wanted to wipe off with a punch. “Are you jealous? Because I said I liked Daesung?”

“Of course not!” Seungri groaned, burying his face in his hands. “Please get back on the ground, hyung.”

Jiyong ignored his plea and grinned boyishly at the boy’s worried face, “You’re adorable, maknae.” 

Seungri rolled his eyes, “Hyung, arasso arasso! Now get down please, before you fall to your death and drag me with you.” 

Jiyong pulled himself up onto the railings and sat on it, feet swinging out into the air. At this point Seungri has given up on convincing him and is starting to think of excuses to get himself out of the blame if Jiyong does fall. 

Not like it hasn’t happened before. 

After a moment of silence, Jiyong opened his mouth, “I’m sorry for making fun of you and bullying you, panda.” he said softly, he used Seungri’s childhood nickname that no one has used for a while, which made Seungri sigh.

He’s almost sure Jiyong does this on purpose. Because every time Jiyong apologizes first (which he always does), it only make Seungri feel worse and more guilty because he knew he was at fault too. 

Seungri looked at his blank workbook in front of him, his pencil working a hole into the fresh white page. 

“Me too hyung, sorry for yelling at you.” He murmured, almost to himself but he knew Jiyong caught it by the fond laugh that followed. 

“Panda, you’re so cute.” 

“I know I am.” Seungri smiled, which only made Jiyong laugh louder. 

------
 
“Seungri!! You’re going to be late!” His mom’s voice boomed from downstairs. 

“Neh!” He bellowed while bouncing on one foot, trying to pull his sock up the other.

“I’ll have club until late today so don’t wait up for dinner.” He yelled as he rushed downstairs. 

“Ok, don’t forget your lunch!” His mom reminded him from the living room where she stood ironing clothes.

“Neh~” He replied dutifully and stuffed his lunch bag into his school bag while slipping his shoes on, “I’ll be going now!”

“Yah, you’re going to make me late!” He heard a familiar voice call out to him as soon as he stepped out of the door, and as usual, Jiyong stood waiting in front of his house, keeping his bicycle balanced with one hand, half of his face covered by a thick muffler.

“Sorry hyung.” Seungri apologized without an ounce of sincerity in his voice as he climbed onto the back seat with familiarity and slung his arm around Jiyong’s waist.

“Aish, this kid.” Jiyong shook his head, climbing onto his seat and kicking off his bicycle, “You’re going to get the living daylights beaten out of you when you get to our high school, our teachers are no joke.” 

“Oh.” Seungri yawned, eyes still half-lidded, “Maybe I won’t go to your high school after all then, my grades might be too bad to make it in anyway.” 

Jiyong fell quiet for the rest of the ride, and if Seungri noticed, he was too sleepy to make a comment.

“You have dance club practice after school?” Jiyong finally opened his mouth to ask when they pulled up to Seungri’s middle school.

“Neh, you don’t have to wait for me.” Seungri jumped off, still yawning no end. “We have to practice for the school festival. It’s our last performance for the semester.”

“You should really concentrate on your school work more you know, you won’t be a middle school student forever.” Jiyong frowned.

Seungri shrugged “Yea I should, ah well, it’ll be my last performance anyway. Oh yea, you guys will come to the festival right? The freshmen this year have been dying to meet the legendary Youngbae sunbaenim.”

Jiyong reached out his gloved hand to ruffle the younger boy’s hair, “Of course.”

Seungri grinned, “Alright, I’ll go now. Don’t sneak into my room while I’m gone!”

And Seungri should really be used to this by now, because despite what he’d warned Jiyong in the morning, after he’d dragged himself home from dance practice- sweat still beading on his forehead despite the cold winter, he opened the door to his bedroom and found his four hyungs sprawled out across the cozy room as if it were their own home. 

“Urgh, hyung! Don’t eat ice cream on my bed!” He groaned, swatting at Seunghyun’s backside to get him off his clean bed. 

“Welcome home maknae!” Seunghyun threw himself at the younger boy and pulled him into a bear hug, popsicle stick still dangling from his mouth. 

“How was dance practice? I heard the routine this year is really intense.” Youngbae looked up from his book and smiled at him, his eyes bending into crescent moons “Heard you have a solo part too, as expected from our Seungri!”

At his words Seungri couldn’t help but to inflate in pride a little, “Of course! Hyung you better watch out after I go to your high school, I’ll snatch the dance club centre spot from you in no time!” 

Youngbae chuckled at the harmless egoistic comment and nodded, “I’ll be waiting for you.”

“So you’re really going to go to CheonHa High, Seungri? Daesung raised his eyebrows as he on his lollipop and mashed the keys on his PSP, “That’s a shame, I was hoping you’d come to HanMyung instead.”

“Well I haven’t really decided yet.” Seungri shrugged, hanging up his coat, “Maybe if you ask nicely, I’d consider HanMyung?” He teased.

“Nice try maknae.” Jiyong was sitting at his desk, doodling on a random piece of paper that he scrunched up and threw at Daesung, “Don’t give him the wrong ideas, we don’t even know if he can get into CheonHa, let alone your prestige private school.” 

They all attended the same primary and middle school, but when it came to high schools, Jiyong and Youngbae went to CheonHa- a public high school, when Seunghyun and Daesung went to the private HanMyung boys high.

“Whatever hyung, we all know you just want Seungri to go to your high school.” Daesung rolled his eyes at him, and when Jiyong nor Seungri didn’t deny it, he pouted and looked to Youngbae with his best puppy eyes. “Youngbae hyung, why don’t you transfer to my school instead?”

“C’mon Daesung.” Youngbae laughed and ruffled his wavy hair fondly, “Half of our school knows we have a dongsaeng called Seungri already.”

“Hey, I’m a dongsaeng too!” Daesung huffed.

“Can’t help that I’m the favourite.” Seungri sang smugly as Jiyong grinned at him and pulled him down to sit on his lap.

“Yah, really, are you guys a couple now?” Daesung casted his forgotten PSP to one side and threw the paper ball back at Jiyong and Seungri’s direction. 

“It’s alright Daesung, people from our school only know Seungri because Jiyong talks about him too much. I like you better.”  Youngbae laughed, “Seungri’s a brat.”

Seungri made a face at his comment which made Jiyong laugh and ruffle his hair in fondness.

“But seriously, even though Seunghyun hyung is almost never at school when he’s supposed to be, I’ll still be lonely after he graduates.” Daesung sighed. 

Being only one year than Seungri, Daesung had just started high school last year, which meant he had another two years to go by himself after Seunghyun- who is expected to be graduating this year, leaves. 

“IF he graduates, that is.” Jiyong added helpfully, which made all the boys but Seunghyun chuckle.

“Yah yah yah, you brats.” Seunghyun shook his finger at Jiyong in feigned anger, “Stop talking about me like I’m not in the room, I’m still the hyung you know.” 

“There is a very high possibility that we’d be in the same year by march next year.” Jiyong smirked at Seunghyun.

“But Seunghyun hyung,.” Daesung cut off the childish spat his two hyungs were having with a serious tone, “have you thought about what you want to do? The CSATs are in two weeks.” He grimaced at the idea, “Shouldn’t you be living at the study rooms?”

At his question, everyone looked to Seunghyun hyung expectedly. 

It was a well known fact throughout their whole community that Seunghyun was not a studious person at all, and even the smartest brightest kids should be at the study rooms pouring over textbooks and mock exams right now in preparation for the national College Scholastic Ability Test.

“Hm, yea I decided not to take the CSATs.” Seunghyun replied casually as he lay back on Seungri’s bed with his arms behind his head.

“WHAT?!” The four younger boys exclaimed with wide eyes, it was almost a given for students their generation to attend a university. Even if it’s not one of the SKY universities, they had to go somewhere.

“What do you mean you’re not taking CSATs? You can’t-” Daesung was at a loss of words, “You can’t just not-” he spluttered and almost choked on his lollipop, Youngbae quickly jumping to soothe his back. 

“I think what Daesung means is….then what are you going to do, hyung?” Youngbae asked, he was trying to sound calm, but he was just as disbelieving as Daesung’s- who was in a fit of coughs now.

“I don’t know.” Seunghyun shrugged, staring a hole into Seungri’s Dragon Ball Z poster stuck on the ceiling above his bed. “But I know I don’t want to be stuck in a university.”

“What do you mean you don’t know? How can you not know what you want to do?” Daesung scoffed as if he’d heard the most ridiculous thing ever.

“I don’t know means I don’t know.” Seunghyun sat up in frustration, raising his voice which made Seungri flinch in Jiyong lap, Jiyong pulled him closer in comfort. 

“So how about you then Daesung? Do you know what you want to do?” Seunghyun spat at him.

“Of course I do! I want to be a lawyer.” Daesung stated matter-of-factly, “You know that.”

“No, you mean your parents want you to be a lawyer.” Seunghyun rolled his eyes and flopped back onto the bed. "You don't know anything for yourself."

Daesung glared at him and opened his mouth to say something but Youngbae stopped him with a firm shake of his head, Daesung turned his head away with a scoff.

Seungri shifted uncomfortably on Jiyong’s lap while Jiyong just shrugged at him with a helpless smile.

After a moment of the awkward silence the sudden conflict left behind, Seunghyun sighed and jumped off the bed, walking over to where Daesung sat in the middle of the room and plopped himself beside the younger boy.

“Sungie-ya.” He poked Daesung on the shoulder softly, his voice filled with over-the-top aegyo, which made the younger's stern expression break a little.

“I’m sorry, you’re right, it’s ridiculous that I’m almost going to be an adult soon yet I still don’t know what I want to do with me life.” he sighed, all playfulness in his voice gone.  “But before I figure it out, I just don’t want to waste another three years in a university learning things that I would never put to use for the rest of my life.” 

Daesung turned back to him and smiled weakly, “No, I should be sorry hyung. You’re right too… I just want to be a lawyer because of my parents. My whole life they've raise to be a lawyer just like my dad. But to be honest, lately... I- I'm not even sure that I want to be a lawyer.”  

The room fell into silence at his confession, they all knew how much emphasis Daesung's family has on him becoming a lawyer just like his father and grandfather and uncles and all his adult cousins.

“I kind of want to be a singer.” Youngbae said, breaking the uncomfortable silence. “Hey remember that Jiyong?” he turned to his friend with a fond smile in his eyes, “We used to say we’d be a hip hop duo and forced our parents to listen to us rap.”

“Oh my, of course I remember.” Jiyong almost doubled over laughing at the memory, “We’d wear our dad’s golfing caps thinking we looked badass.” 

“How come I didn’t know about this?” Seungri piped up curiously, “I never heard you two rap.”

“Me neither, “ Daesung raised his eyebrows curiously “did you know about this Seunghyun hyung?”

“Yea, It was waaaay before Seungri moved here and Daesung was probably too young to remember. I remember Youngbae’s dad chasing you two down the street because you guys wanted to ‘borrow’ his jeans for a ‘performance’ and ripped holes into them.” Seunghyun laughed. “No one had ever seen Pastor Dong so angry.”

“Aw, why didn’t you two continue? Can you guys rap something now?” Seungri asked excitedly.

“Maybe because you came so we got distracted by the neighbourhood crybaby so we couldn’t continue writing our badass rap.” Jiyong said teasingly to which made Seungri jump up from his lap in a huff. “Hyung! Don’t. Even bring that up again.”

The other four hyungs laughed at his reaction, Seungri had wailed at the top of his lungs for the first two weeks that he’d moved into the neighbourhood. Till this day, some ahjummas who live on this street still call him “little ulbo.*”

“How about you then maknae, what do you want to do?” Youngbae asked as his laugh slowly faded into a chuckle.

“Hmmm, if Jiyong hyung and Youngbae hyung are celebrities, I want to be their manager! So I can order them around, but they pay me!” Seungri grinned toothily, which made the said two boys attack him with pillows.

“Wishful thinking maknae!” Youngbae wrestled him onto the ground as Jiyong pounded into him with a pillow, “Ah!! Hyung, hyung!! I surrender!” Seungri raised his arms in the air in defeat, when the other two boys jumped off him in victory, he flipped around to ask Jiyong:
“How about you Jiyong hyung? What do you want to do?”

“Me?” Jiyong sat back onto the chair and spun himself around thoughtfully, “I...I’ll be a businessman a get rich, then I can buy you as my servant.” He laughed as Seungri mocked-bowed down to him obediently.

“Tell me little one, how much for me to own you?” He hopped off the chair and knelt down in front to Seungri, lifting the maknae’s chin up with a finger.

Later on, no matter how many years have passed, Jiyong will always remember this particular moment, him kneeling down in front of Seungri who was playfully bowing at him. His other three brothers sat around them rolling their eyes, laughing and scoffing. 
He will always remember the glint in Seungri's eyes as he looked up and the mischief that tugged at the corner of his lips as he smiled back at him to answer:

“300 Billion Won.”