That year, it was love at first sight.

YOUTH.

 

Seungri experienced love at first sight at the age of fifteen.

It was a winter afternoon, 2007, when he first laid eyes on her, she was beautiful, cute and y all at the same time, and his heart almost jumped out of his chest.

That moment, he knew he experienced love.  

He remembers clearly that is was a Sunday afternoon, because Youngbae hyung was coming to his house late due to Church service, so no one was there to offer in his place when Jiyong hyung ordered him to go on a snack run. Which resulted in him actually having to go out, thus missing the chance to turn on his TV on the right channel at the right time for his usual Sunday afternoon cartoon binge. Instead, he came back with a handful of snacks to find that somebody- probably Jiyong hyung since Daesung hyung loved watching Doraemon too and Seunghyun hyung was too busy fiddling with the new laptop that his parent had bought him to care about TV, had switched the channel to SBS, blasting some pop idol music show on full volume.

Seungri was never interested in pop bands or idols, he'd rather spend his money on video games or manhwa. Which reminded him, Seunghyun hyung still hasn’t returned the latest volume of One Piece that he’d lent him last month.

“Aish hyung, turn it down, my parents will give me an earful after you’re all gone.” Seungri shrugged his muffler off and scattered the pile of snacks on the floor in front of the TV where his hyungs were sitting. As expected, Seunghyun helped himself to the yanggaeng immediately.

“Thanks maknae, you’re the best.” The oldest of the group grinned and reached out to ruffle Seungri’s hair.

“Whatever hyung.” Seungri took his place with crossed legs while opening a bag of Saeoo Snek*, “Jiyong hyung, switch it back to the cable channel, I want to watch cartoons!”

“Yah, don’t order your hyung around, brat!” Jiyong jabbed a finger onto the maknae’s forehead and pushed it lightly, “I wanna watch this, it’s a live show! ** You can watch your childish cartoons on rerun.”

“Fine.” Seungri groaned gruffly, “But I get to pick the video game we play tomorrow after school.”

“Aigoo~ fine, fine. I’ll play Mario Cart with our little Seungri tomorrow.” Jiyong cooed mockingly and pinched his cheeks, Seungri swatted his hand away while the other two hyungs laughed at his fuming face. “Stop treating me like a kid!”

“But you are a kid, Seungri-ya.” Daesung, who was only one year older than him chuckled, biting into a chocopie. “We're all kids.”

“I’m not.” Seunghyun scoffed, “Hey, I’m 18 already, if I was in America, I’d be an adult already!”

“Yea, too bad you’re Korean hyung, not to mention you’d actually only be 16 if you lived in America.”

“Hey! Isn’t sixteen years old like, the legal age to have in America?”

“Hyung!” Daesung exclaimed, “Ew! And also, not true, but EW!”

Seunghyun grinned, “Now now, Dae Dae, no need to over exaggerate. We’re all men aren’t we? Don’t tell me you don’t think about it.”

Daesung blushed a deep shade of crimson, “Well, yeah…” He trailed off hesitantly before shaking his head, “Still, don’t talk about this in front of little Seunghyun!”

He was referring to Seungri now, little Seunghyun was the name his hyungs used when they wanted to baby him. Except Seungri was not a baby, and he was keen to prove that.

“Hyung, stop treating me like a kid! I’m not a kid anymore!” Seungri argued, which caused Jiyong to arch an eyebrow teasingly.

“Oh? So our Seungri is a man now?”

“Of course! I’ve always been a man!” Seungri was so insistent that he was almost whining, it made Jiyong smile, “What? Have you done it before maknae?”

“D-done it?” Seungri stuttered and gulped.

“Yea, . Have you?” Jiyong grinned wolfishly, the other two hyungs were both staring at him expectantly now, waiting for his answer.

Seungri blushed and buried his head into the bag of shrimp crisps, uttering a quiet and defeated: “N-no…”

The other three broke out into fits of laughter, “Oh maknae, you’re adorable!” Jiyong reached out to pull him closer, only to have Seungri swat at his hand again. “S-Shut up hyung! Yah! Stop laughing!”

“How about you hyung? Have you done it?” Jiyong turned to Seunghyun to ask, and before the older one can open his mouth to answer, Daesung cut them off by covering his own ears and yelling: “Yah! Can we please stop talking about ? I’d rather not imagine strange things about my bingu hyung that I’ve known since I was in diapers.”

His outburst made the other two stop and shrug, after the slightly inappropriate topic, the room fell into an awkward silence, which was rare for the tight group of neighbouring boys.

“Oh...ummm, is this a new girl group?” Daesung said out of the blue, in attempt to change the topic, and seeing an opening, the others all jumped at the chance to dilute the awkwardness.

“Yea, I’ve heard about them…So Nyuh Shi Gan*** or something? A new girl group by SM.” Jiyong yawned “I never liked SM’s music though, too bubble gum.”

"Girl's Time? That sounds kind of erted." Seunghyun chuckled as he diverted his attention from his laptop for a quick glance at the TV, “Not bad looking though. As expected from a name like that.”

"Ew Hyung." Daesung winced again, Seunghyun shrugged. "Hey, I meant it in every innocent way possible, you're the one with the dirty mind."

Seungri ignored the bickering of his hyungs as he looked up from his snacks to see what all the male screaming in the background of the girly high-pitched singing was about, and what he saw on the brand new LCD flatscreen TV that his dad had been begging his mum to buy for over half a year, made his heart literally stop.

The camera was focused on one of the most beautiful girls he’d ever seen in his life. She was winking at the camera, stretching her perfect lips into a smile as she twirled, her short skirt flying even higher to show a pair of long, straight legs.

“Wow…” Seungri breathed, and unfortunately for him, his ever-teasing hyung caught sight of him nearly drooling at the TV.

“Yah Lee Seunghyun, stop drooling!” Jiyong pulled him into a headlock, “Why, you think she’s pretty?” His eyes glinted mischievously, “Naw, our Seungri has fallen in love!” Jiyong announced for him while pinching both his cheeks.

“S-stop it Jiyong hyung, yah!” Seungri’s head turned hot as he heard his hyungs chuckling at Jiyong’s actions, why were they ALWAYS treating him like a kid?!

He flung the hands grabbing at his cheeks roughly and pushed the older boy off him, “STOP IT!!”

“Aish..” Jiyong groaned while rubbing his head that he had bumped onto the coffee table when Seungri suddenly pushed him off, “YAH!! Lee Seungri! You brat!! What’s your problem!”

“I’m so sick of you bullying me!!” Seungri threw the emtpy snack bag at Jiyong, which only landed flimsily on the floor by his feet without even touching him.

“Seungri..Jiyong hyung was just playing around.” Daesung said softly, huddling into the cushion he was hugging, he looked to Seunghyun who sighed, “Jiyong, say sorry.”

“WHAT?” Jiyong huffed, “I did nothing wrong, I’m not going to say sorry to that spoilt brat!”

“Jiyong, you’re the hyung.” Seunghyun warned.

“Which is exactly why I should be teaching this dongsaeng a lesson.”  Jiyong growled,

“Try me, hyung.” Seungri challenged him.

Daesung squirmed and shuffled away from the scene while Seunghyun face palmed himself, they both knew all too well what would happen next.

Jiyong lunged himself at Seungri, who immediately grappled the older into some kind wrestling hold, and in no time they were wriggling tangle of limbs on the floor.

“Ya you brat, you’ve been pretty high off your horse lately, I’ve been meaning to teach you a lesson!” Jiyong said in between breaths.

“YAH! You’re such a bully, you’re always ordering me around, you treat me like a little kid!” Seungri groaned as he was pinned to the floor, “I- I HATE YOU!”

The wrestling stopped abruptly.

“Oh God.” Seunghyun rolled his eyes, turning back to his laptop. Daesung was already through his second packet of caramel popcorn.

“You what?” Jiyong stopped short, letting his arms fall to his sides as he gazed a burning hole into the younger boy he was straddling.

“I- I hate you.” Seungri repeated, his gulped as he lowered his eyes to not meet Jiyongs.

“Fine then, we can stop being friends.” Jiyong breathed.

Seungri looked startled for a split second and looked like he wanted to say something before swallowing down his words. “Fine.”

Daesung opened the packet of grape gummies and was now chewing on them, Seunghyun reached out and slapped his hand away, taking the packet for himself.

“Give me back my playstation then.” Jiyong stated matter-of-factly.

“What?” The fire that was dying down in Seungri’s eyes started burning again, “Fine, you can take your stupid playstation, but only if you pay me back for all the games that I bought.”

“Huh? You have some nerve to mention that, then how about my collective Gundam figure set in your room?”

“I bought half of those, not to mention those Raybands that I saved up for that you’ve been wearing!”

“Whatever, you look dumb wearing them anyway. How about my signed baseball cap huh? Whose wardrobe is that lying around in?”

“You gave that to me.” Seungri widened his eyes in shock, there was no way this jerk was going to take away Chan Ho Park, “How...how about my manhwa collection.”

“Psh, don’t blame me for that, Seunghyun hyung has most of your manhwa books.”

“Yeah hyung, when are you going to return all my manhwa books?” Seungri suddenly turned his attention to him, all hate for Jiyong apparently forgotten.

“Yah you brats!” Seunghyun almost choked on the gummy grape in his mouth at the mention of him and the manhwa collection he’d been stealing slowly from Seungri, “Don’t drag me into your childish play-fight.”

“What do you mean childish play-fight? I already said, I’m not a baby!”

“Naw look at our Seunghyun trying to act like a man now.”

“Stop it Jiyong hyung, I’m still not done with you!!”

“So try me then, why don’t we continue?”

“Tsk tsk tsk, point proven. Childish. Play-fight. Why don’t you two just take it outside and fight like grown-ups?”

“Seunghyun hyung, don’t think you’ve been let off the hook, I’m going to come fetch those manhwa books of mine later!”

“Aw WHAT? C’mon maknae, just one more week!.... Daesung what are you all smiley about? You think I don’t know that you’ve also been secretly using Seungri’s manhwa to trade Doraemon books with Moon-Jae from down the street!”

“WHAT?! Snotty Moon Jae? He’ll ruin all my books hyung!” Seungri groaned, “Hyung you pay me back for those.”

“Aw c’mon Seungri, he promised me he’ll take good care of them, especially the special volume of Gundam Seed.”

“WHAT?! Daesung! I bought that one, I even owed my noona a favour to order it especially online for me, you can’t buy one of those again, and you go ahead and leave it in the hands of snotty nose Moon-jae?!” Jiyong exploded, “Oh I’m gonna get you, I’m gonna get both of you today!”

He threw himself at Daesung, accidently kicking Seungri in the side on the way.

“Hey! What was that for!? Yah Seunghyun hyung don’t you dare run away, give me back my manhwa!!”

“Seunghyunnie hyung, help me!!”

“Yah Seungri you brat, get off me!”

……..

….

..

.

The door to the living room flung open abruptly, and there stood Youngbae at the doorway, face still half covered by his thick woolen muffler that his mother had hand-knitted for him, the bag of snack in his hand dropped to the ground as he witness the tangled mess of bodies in front of him.

“WHAT. THE. HELL.”

“Youngbae hyung/ Youngbae!” The voices yelled at him in unision, “It’s all HIS fault.” The tangle of limbs all pointed a finger at each other.

Now Youngbae was a good kid, the perfect kind of kid that was your mom’s friend’s son. The straight-A, always smiling, never hurt a soul kind of Church-going boy.

SO when he swore, it was such a rare occurrence that his friends have made a habit into keeping count the amount of times they’d ever heard him swear.  

And that afternoon, they lost count.

Seungri experienced first love in the form of love at first sight at the age of fifteen.

And if Jiyong hadn’t gone ahead and ruined it all, it might have blossomed into something beautiful.

Not like her being an idol and not knowing that he even existed would have caused any problems, nope, not at all.

It was all Jiyong hyung’s fault.

--------

*Shrimp snack

** 2007 was when Inkigayo changed from being pre-recorded to being live. 

*** Yes So Nyuh Shi Dae as in SNSD, except Jiyong remembers it wrong and instead says So Nyu Shi Gan, which means Girl's Time. As for who exactly Seubgri fell in love with, well I'll leave it up to your imagination.