VIII -

Neverland

Warning: There are guns and shooting in this chapter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was three in the afternoon when the door to the cafe opened and Jaeyoon and Inseong walked in, hand in hand, with huge smiles on their faces. They waved at Youngbin and Dawon who were busy attending to customers and took the seat at the far end of the cafe. 

"So, what is it?! Is there some great news?!" Youngbin asked as he slid into the chair opposite the two.  He could almost taste the excitement the two are giving off.  

"You're gonna get married! Congrats!" Dawon exclaimed clapping his hands rather loudly. 

Jaeyoon just smiled. Even Inseong didn't do anything which was weird in itself so whatever it is, it must be something big, Youngbin thought. 

"Well, we just thought that we all should go on a road trip!" Jaeyoon exclaimed!

"To where?" 

"Busan! My hometown! I can show you around and we can have fun at the beach-"

"And you can finally introduce Inseong to your parents!" Dawon quipped. 

Jaeyoon just rolled his eyes at him. "Anyway, we still have to make sure all our schedules would work out. But.. are you guys in?"

"I am! But, are you sure.. I mean, you know.. since you two might want to go on a date or something," Youngbin replied. 

Jaeyoon and Inseong glanced at each other. "It's fine," Inseong answer. "We could always go somewhere if we wanted to - just the two of us. We just wanted to go with you guys. Hashtag squad goals!"

"Ugh, ahjussi, stop," Dawon said, covering his face with both hands. "That's like the most cringy thing I've heard. Oh my god, I'm gonna throw up! I'm gonna have nightmares!!"

Inseong was saved from replying when the bell on the front door chimed, announcing the arrival of a customer. 

Youngbin stood up immediately. "I'll take care of it," he told Dawon who stood up right after him. "I wanna go with you guys. Why don't you all finalize everything first," he continued and made his way towards the counter.  

Youngbin has just given the cup of coffee to the customer and had said his closing spiel but the customer was still busy inspecting the menu. 

"Do you want anything else?" Youngbin asked, still keeping the smile on his face.

"Do you trust them?"

"Excuse me?" he asked still with a smile. 

The customer cocked his head to the side and looked at him straight in the eye. "Your friends, do you trust them?" he repeated. 

The smile was instantly wiped from his face, his hands balling into fists.  

"Who are you?" Youngbin hissed, not bothering to hide the anger that was starting to swell inside him. 

Laughter erupted from where Dawon and the rest were. Youngbin glanced towards the far end of the cafe with a heavy feeling in his chest. The kid smirked, still not taking his eyes away from Youngbin. 

"Be careful," he said then and waved goodbye. 

Youngbin was rooted to the spot. He can feel his nails digging into the palm of his hand. That kid knows him, he's one hundred percent sure and that question. 

No!

Youngbin closed his eyes and released a breath he didn't know he was holding. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

Youngbin mentally reprimanded himself. He didn't even hear the front door open. Thankfully, it was only Chulmin and not some other customer. 

"Was it that kid that was here a minute ago? Don't let it get to you," Chulmin continued, "That kid is really a bit weird," 

"You know him?"

"Not really," Chulmin answered. "Just that, he has frequented this cafe three-four weeks ago?" 

"Really?"

Chulmin nodded. "It's the first time I saw him alone though. He's always with that kid in the yellow uniform. From SOPA, I think?."

SOPA? Youngbin thought. There's only one person he knows who goes to that school and that is someone he's trying to stay away from. 

"Do you think they were close? Him and that kid from SOPA?" Youngbin asked trying to pry more. 

"I can't say for sure. They usually just come here and order drinks and then go. At least that's from what I've observed," Chulmin replied with a thoughtful look. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The roadtrip idea is a go - although it did take them about two weeks to actually finalize the plan. 

It was a Friday morning when Dawon and Youngbin arrived at Inseong's place. The four of them were all in high spirits talking about things they have to do in Busan - the places they have to visit and just about everything.

The elevator doors opened and the sight of the basement parking lot greeted them. Inseong was leading the way towards his jeep when a motorcycle came in and stopped them in their tracks. The rider turned and pulled out a gun from under his jacket, pointing directly at them. 

Youngbin felt a whizz go by his cheeks before he was pulled behind one of the cars by Dawon. Inseong and Jaeyoon followed suit and a rain of bullets came over them.  

“We have to get to the car!” Inseong shouted over the ruckus. They were showered with shards of glass as the windows of the car they were crouching under exploded. 

Youngbin felt himself getting cold. "No! This can't be happening..." he muttered to himself. Everything felt so bright and so loud and he can hear his heart pounding in his chest and-

"Hyung, focus!," Dawon's voice cut through the storm that's brewing inside Youngbin's mind. He looked at the man, looked at how calm he is; a part of him wondered why the younger guy isn't panicking but - 

Youngbin’s eyes widened in surprise as Jaeyoon pulled out a gun from under his shirt. His ears were still ringing and he felt like he was in a daze. The only thing keeping him grounded is Dawon’s steady hand on his wrist.

“Where’s your car?” Dawon asked.

"It's parked near the entrance. The black jeep. If we can get to the car, we'll be okay," Inseong explained not even a little bit fazed by the fact that they were being shot at. Another round of bullets descended upon them. 

“We have to go,” Jaeyoon said, there was a certain sharpness in his eyes and even he looked calm. The three of them were talking among themselves but Youngbin can't seem to understand any word they're saying. 

"Youngbin Hyung,"

Dawon’s grip on his wrist tightened, bringing him back into reality. “Whatever happens, don’t look back and just keep running, okay? You have to reach Inseong's car no matter what, okay?” the younger man said with an almost sad smile.  

Youngbin could only nod. It was his first time being caught in a shoot-out and to say that he isn’t scared for his life would be a lie. 

“Go!” That one word spurned them all into action. Jaeyoon jumped from behind the cars and started to shoot at their assailants while the three of them ran for their lives.

Inseong’s car was only a few steps away when Youngbin distantly heard Jaeyoon telling them to take cover. And so they ducked behind one of the cars with Inseong managing to make a mad dash for his jeep and immediately turning on the engine.  

“Dawon, come on,” Youngbin said turning to the other man but the sight that greeted him made everything else fade into the background

Dawon was slumped on the floor, clutching at his stomach, there was blood seeping through his fingers and it took Youngbin a second to process what happened. 

“D-Dawon…” he heard himself breath as his hands reach out towards the wound. 

Dawon swatted his hand away, “Go!’ he said weakly, pointing to the car. “Go!” he repeated. 

Youngbin can only focus on the blood and the pool of it that was starting to form on the floor. He saw his own hands reach out towards Dawon, tried to grab his hand but something was pulling him away. He was dragged by the shoulders and into the waiting car. 

We can't leave him, Youngbin thought or maybe he said it out loud even he wasn't sure. 

the car door slammed shut and in the next moment, they were driving out of the parking lot, away from Dawon and towards safety. Youngbin watched as the young man's figure got smaller and smaller until finally disappearing as they the street. Before every turned to black, Youngbin was almost sure he saw a familiar blonde head standing on the streets as they go. 

He woke up to the silence and the smell of leather sheets. They were still driving to god knows where and there was a second when he was about to ask about Dawon but then everything came back to him. Hot tears started to fall from his eyes, onto the seat and Youngbin curled himself into a fetal position and cried. 

The second time he woke up, Inseong was about to go into a rest stop. As soon as they got off the jeep, Youngbin rushed one of the two and threw his fist managing to hit Inseong on the jaw. The other man fell to the ground with a groan. 

Without another word, Youngbin turned and walked away, getting lost in all the vehicles and people going around. Jaeyoon pulled Inseong up to his feet, asking if he's okay. 

“Go after him. I’m okay. He might do something stupid,” Inseong replied.

Jaeyoon gently placed a hand on the spot causing Inseong to hiss in pain. “Sorry,” Jaeyoon mumbled. “Go get some ice for that,” he said softly.

Inseong nodded. “Yah, I’m fine, don’t worry. Go and find Youngbin,"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________