IV - An Unfortunate Event

Neverland

Youngbin was bobbing his head in time with the music, the huge headphones he just bought yesterday drowning out the sounds of the world around him. It was a clear day and he was in a good mood that he decided to take a day off and just explore the city on foot. 

He started to cross the street as the lights turned green, all the while mouthing the words in time with the music. He was in such a good mood and it was such a beautiful day that he felt really good for the first time in months. It was because of this high that he failed to notice the huge black van that was going straight for him. It was only when the vehicle came to a screeching halt a feet on the other side of the pedestrian that he became aware of what was happening. 

Three guys in clown masks and black clothes poured out and ran towards him. A clown grabbed each of this arm tightly while a third one pressed a rag on his face. The smell from the rag was a cloying sweetness that made him gag out of reflex. Youngbin felt his limbs get heavier, his vision starting to blur, he can feel the strength going out from his body. He caught a glimpse of the clear blue skies before falling into a thick dark void. 


 

"Lee Dawon-ssi?"

Jaeyoon's eyes bulged in surprise as Dawon rushed towards him, grabbing his shoulders with a crazed look in his eyes. He was surprised at first that Dawon was able to find where he was working but then he remembered that he may have mentioned it when he visited the guy. 

"Hyung! Y-Youngbin hyung!"

"Take it easy, breathe," Jaeyoon said, grabbing Dawon's arm and guiding him towards the nearest chair. The younger guy was panting heavily and his cheeks were flushed from running god knows how far. 

"Breathe," Jaeyoon repeated, this time rubbing circles on the other one's back in the hope of calming him down.

After a few minutes, he noticed that the younger guy was breathing normally now, though there was still the look in his eyes. Dawon turned towards him eyes filled with so much worry and concern, "Youngbin hyung got kidnapped awhile back," he stated. 

"Y-Yah, are you sure? I-I mean, we can't just report this without evidence or something!" Jaeyoon said.

Dawon pulled out his phone and after a second of scrolling, held it out to him. Jaeyoon took it and played the video. It was a recording from someone's handphone. His heart sped up as he noticed the familiar back of someone walking across the street. 

"Y-yah, we should call the police," he said after watching the video. 

Dawon gripped his arm tightly, "NO! We can't, hyung. Youngbin hyung wouldn't like it." 

"Are you crazy? How are we supposed to help him then? You're being unreasonable," Jaeyoon replied shrugging off Dawon's grip on his arm as he stood up to get his phone from the counter. "I'm calling them!"

"Andwae!" Dawon shouted, grabbing Jaeyoon's shoulder with a surprising force that made him stay where he was. 

"Stop with this nonsense, Dawon! We have to report this to the authorities and you know it!" Jaeyoon repeated inserting as much authority in his voice as was possible. 

"NO! I-I know someone?"

"You know someone? Who else, other than the police can help us? Yah, we don't even know who took him or where? How can we do something," 

"I know someone!" Dawon repeated with much strength and conviction that Jaeyoon was left speechless for a second. 


Jaeyoon was so against whatever this is they're doing but Dawon was adamant that this someone can help them. 

"Are you sure we're going to the right place?" Jaeyoon asked, astonished at the place where they were at. 

"Yes! Just trust me!" Dawon answered. His gait was confident and controlled but Jaeyoon knew that it was all an act. If he looked closely, Jaeyoon was pretty sure that he would see how tense the younger guy was. 

"Here," Dawon said, turning sharply to the right. Jaeyoon followed suit and found that they were standing in front of a huge apartment building right in the middle of Cheongdamdong. 

"Yah, Dawon-ah... are you sure this is it?" he asked again, neck straining as he looked up the building. 

They younger guy didn't answer his question. Instead, Dawon walked inside the building, Jaeyoon following hesitantly behind him. 

Stepping into the building felt like stepping into another world. Their footsteps were muffled by the rich crimson carpet that covered the entire lobby. There was classical music playing softly from somewhere. In front of them was a glinting, black marble desk right in the center of the room, it's edges trimmed in gold. Two male receptionist in black suits bowed down as they approached. 

"Tell the fox we came to play," Dawon barked at one of the guys. There was a hint of something behind his voice but Jaeyoon couldn't pinpoint what it was exactly. 

One of the guys typed something on a computer and after awhile, he told them to proceed towards the 'den' wherever that is. 

Dawon didn't acknowledge what the guy said, he just pushed himself off the desk and walked towards the row of elevators. 

The doors of the elevator closed and Jaeyoon stared intently at the reflection of the man beside him. The way he held himself, the way he was casually leaning against the wall and especially the glint in his eyes, it was clear that this was not the Dawon he saved in that alleyway. 

This was a different person and he may not admit it out loud but the look in this stranger's eyes is making him nervous. 

"I'll answer your questions later," Dawon said, finally meeting his eyes. "You can ask me whatever you want just... we have to save Youngbin hyung first," 

Jaeyoon nodded, swallowing the thousands and millions of question that have been wanting to pour out of him from the moment they stepped into this place.  There was nothing he could do, Dawon's stare made that clear so he just prayed to whatever god is out there that they get through this in one piece. 


They alighted at the 10th floor and Jaeyoon was expecting an empty hallway with doors leading up to different apartments but there was only another door right in front of the elevators. He looked at Dawon - or rather, this stranger that he followed to whatever place this is - waiting for him to make a move. 

Dawon took a deep breath and went forward and when he reached the entrance, he let the wooden knocker fall three times, it's sound echoing loudly in the room. 

The doors slid open and a lone figure was standing in the door way. 

"We need your help," Dawon said at the same time Jaeyoon exclaimed, "You!"


 

Youngbin opened his eyes slowly, trying to orient himself to wherever he was in. He was still feeling groggy and this tongue felt heavy in his mouth. He didn't know how long he was in that state until a pair of black shoes came into sight. A bowl of water was placed near him and he suddenly realized how dry his throat was. Youngbin wanted to reach out and drink from it but he still can't feel his arms. 

The bowl was pushed near his face then and he can somehow make out the footsteps walking away from him. He angled himself, every movement straining all the muscles in his body. After what felt like an hour, he managed to lift his face near the bowl and started lapping on the water. 

He didn't know how long it took but the next thing he knew the bowl was empty and he was feeling a little bit better. Youngbin tried to move his arms and although they still hurt, he was happy that somehow, nothing was broken or anything. 

Time passed with his bowl being refilled with water and his strength slowly returning. 

"Y-yah!" Youngbin shouted, finally finding his voice. "Yah!" he said again. 

There were footsteps approaching so he slowly looked up, hoping to catch a glimpse of his abductors but of course, they were wearing a mask. 

"You won't get anything from doing this, you know?" Youngbin said hoarsely to which the clown just titled his head. "Whatever this is, my father won't give you guys any amount so you're just wasting your time," he continued. 

The clown just stood there and watched him for a few minutes before walking away. 

Youngbin started laughing. 


 

A loud boom rose Youngbin out of his uneasy sleep. 

"What was that?!" he shouted to the empty room. 

He can hear a lot of activity going on outside when suddenly, "Gunshots," he muttered, finally hearing some of the commotion going on outside. 

Youngbin felt his heart race. He looked around, but there was no place to hide. He was trapped inside an empty room, with nothing but a bowl of water in front of him and he thought that if this is gonna be his end then this is possible the lamest way to die. 

He smiled dryly at that thought. 

The door knob started to rattle making him laugh out loud. Youngbin buried his head between his knees, squeezing his eyes shut and just waiting for this ordeal to be over. He can still hear some commotion from outside although the gunshots have long since been gone. He heard the door opening, he can feel someone looking at him, he can feel them approaching. He balled his hands into fists, better to die trying than accepting it in this cowardly manner, he thought. 

He knew that they have to check if it was him first. And that would be his only chance. Youngbin fought all the urge to flee, digging his fingernails deeply into his palm. They're getting nearer and nearer. 

There was the crash of something from outside followed by the sound of something breaking. 

They're standing right in front of me, hovering. He felt the figure looming over him bend down, he felt a hand on his head and then he lashed out. A direct punch to the face of whoever was standing in front of him. 

"Yah!" the voice sounded oddly familiar. He looked down at his body, maybe he was already dead and he was just denying the fact but there was no wound. 

"Youngbin-ssi," 

Youngbin looked up confused. "Jaeyoon-ssi?" he asked as the red haired guy came into view. He looked down at the man he punched, finally realizing who it was. 

"Dawon-ah!" he said blankly. 

He looked from one guy to the next, confused but relieved.