SEVENTEEN

The Butterfly Files
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Jiyong’s cheeky comment, Sandara left the room in a blushing rush. Before she did though, Dongwook managed to get her to agree to see him again.

After she left, Dongwook and Jiyong contemplated their conversations in silence. Dongwook thought his went as well as could be expected and he was just glad that she agreed to speak with him again. He hopes that since the hard truths have been said, they can try to regain the friendship they started while she was in captivity.

Jiyong on the other hand, was still thinking hard about the operation. He’s really not liking it, truth be told. It seems like the risks outweigh the benefits.

“What are you thinking about?” Dongwook finally broke the silence.

JIyong looked up at him with a small smile. “Sandara.”

“Same.”

Jiyong sighed. “What do you think about this whole surgery thing?” He asked him again. Now that they were alone, he was hoping he could get a different answer from Dongwook.

Unfortunately for him, Dongwook didn’t oblige. “Let her decide.” He repeated. “She needs to know and feel like she’s in control of her life. We can only just support her in this.”

Jiyong groaned and leaned back in his seat. “I know that but..”

“It seems like such a risk?” Dongwook asked with a small smile. He picked up one of the snacks that he brought for Sandara and started eating. “You’ll regret not letting her know you have her back completely.” He told her seriously. “Believe me, I know. Over the years, that has been one of my biggest regrets. The fact that I couldn’t tell her that I was working on a plan to help her. That she only has to hold on for a few days.. I isolated myself from her without letting her know anything and then.. She was just gone.”

“But you continued searching..”

“Of course. Wouldn’t you?” Dongwook tilted his head as he considered the younger man in front of him.

“Before I met her? I don’t know if I would.” Jiyong admitted honestly. “Now.. I’d overturn every nook and cranny just to find her.”

Dongwook was startled at the raw emotion in Jiyong’s voice. Never in his years of knowing Jiyong has he heard him speak like that. Jiyong has always been a no-nonsense kind of guy. A little stuck up sometimes and usually arrogant but he gets the job done and he does it excellently. That was why he thought that Jiyong’s team, Big Bang, was such a cohesive and effective team because they balance each other out. The mischievousness of their maknae, Daesung’s kindness, Youngbae’s steadfast reliability and Seunghyun’s eccentricity. They make such a weird mishmash of personalities and yet they work.

“You really do care about her, do you?”

“I do.” Jiyong confirmed. “And so do you.” Dongwook nodded. “How much?”

“I spent the past three years searching for her.” Dongwook shook his head. “What does that tell you, man?”

Jiyong was silent for a few seconds as he tried to sort out his feelings. “I’m not giving her up.”

“I’m not asking you to.”

Jiyong frowned, unsure of what their next step would be.

Dongwook sighed as he ran a hand down his face. “Look, Jiyong. I’d like to say that I’ll back off.. But I can’t. At least not at this moment.” He looked at Jiyong seriously. “We have too many things unresolved between us. Chief among that is whether or not she can forgive me for not being able to save her. But there’s also the fact that I myself am unsure of what I feel for her.” When Jiyong started to nod, he hastened to add. “Oh, it’s for sure I feel something for her. Hard not to. But I don’t know if it’s the same thing as what you feel. That’s the only reason I’m not challenging you to a duel right now.” He joked, but quickly reverted back to his serious demeanor. “Sandara deserves much more than uncertainty right now. She deserves stability and assurance.”

“So what now?” Jiyong asked tiredly.

“Now, I try to be her friend.” Dongwook answered. “I’ll be whatever she needs me to be and hope I get my head out of my sooner rather than later. When I declare my feelings for her, if I actually do, there will be no question about it and I will not back off. But for now, her needs come over whatever you and I have going on. We need to remember that.”

Jiyong nodded, acknowledging his words and the wisdom behind them. He realized that this also applies to him. Even though he has admitted that he’s falling in love with Sandara, there is still the question lingering in his mind on whether or not he was actually taking advantage of her dependence on them. The last thing he wants to do is force her into another unwanted situation. Damn ethics. Damn morality. Jiyong thought sarcastically. “I’d totally kick your in a duel though.”

Dongwook threw a bun at him which he caught one handed. “Dream on, Kwon Jiyong.”

 

_________________________________

 

Freaking hermits. Kim Jaejoong cursed as he traversed the path hidden deep in Kyoto’s mountain regions.

Getting the location, if his vague info could even be called that, was a challenge unto itself. The people who made contact with members of this hidden clan were so tight lipped you’d think they were hiding the secret to immortality.

But he is a persistent bastard. That’s why Big Bang Securities Inc pays him the big bucks. Hell, he’s practically heading their more.. Unconventional.. operations in Japan. That’s how much Big Bang trusts him and he has always been grateful. Like a lot of other employees in BBSI, he was a little lost after the military. He was friends with Seunghyun since high school and thankfully when Seunghyun heard that Jaejoong was just drifting along, he told him about the business that he started with his team. Initially, Jaejoong didn’t want anything to do with it. He didn’t fancy the thought of working for a friend but he agreed to a visit. He met with Big Bang and Bom and Hyesun and CL and saw for himself the vision that this group had. So he applied for a job. He went through the ranks due to his own accomplishments and he fell in love with Japan. Now, he’s been living here for almost eight years on and off and he’s happier than he’s ever been. He has a purpose and a job that pay wells and provides the adrenaline rush he’s craving. Maybe in a year or two, he’ll think about finding a person to share his life with but for now, he’s content.

So when Daesung called with a personal request from Big Bang, he dropped everything and got to work. Okay, he didn’t really drop everything. Just delegated. But still, that counts.

He’s intrigued by the story. Found a girl with missing memories. Found a potential brother but unfortunately the little twerp is part of a clan so secretive, they put ninjas to shame. Maybe they are ninjas, he muses.

So here he is, after exhausting all contacts in a quest to find the hidden village. He’s posing as a determined kendoka looking for apprenticeship slash lost mountain climber; whatever works. He can flip between two identities in a snap.

He’s been circling theis route for about an hour looking for the opening in the caverns that his sources say would lead to the path that would lead to village. Of course, they don’t want to make it too easy. ing bastards. Jaejoong cursed again. Then again, he’s always loved a challenge.

Adjusting the straps of his backpack, he took a deep breath and went back to work.

_________________________________

 

It’s been two days since Heechul mentioned the exploratory surgery and until now, he hasn’t agreed to do it. Mainly because he could see that Sandara was on the fence about it. She’d say she wants it, only to ask what happens to her hair.

Now, it could be vanity on her part but Heechul and Hyesun agree that Sandara was hiding her worries about the entire operation behind her concerns for her hair. So Heechul just gave her a flirty smile assuring her that she could shave off all her hair and she’ll still be the most gorgeous girl in the room. He’d tug a lock of her hair and saunter off to who knows where, leaving Sandara to her thoughts.

At the moment, Sandara was staring at her reflection in the mirror as she held her hair back trying to imagine what she would look like.

There was a gentle knock on her door and she leaned out the bathroom to take a peek with her hand still holding back her hair. She saw Dongwook looking around the hospital room that she and Seungri shared. “Hey.”

“Hey..” he greeted right back. “Busy?”

She blushed as she explained what she was doing.

Dongwook entered the room. “You know, when I met you this entire part here was shaved.” He ran his hand through the left side of his head. “It was pretty bad , you know. You looked all feminine and girly, then you turn to the side and bam!”

“Bam?” She giggled.

“Bam.” Dongwook confirmed. “So you’re considering the surgery?”

“Yes. Considering. I was so ready to have it..” Sandara nodded. “Knowing that I have- might have a brother, changes things though.”

“Understandable.” Dongwook leaned against the wall beside the door as she fluttered around the room. “Is there any way I can help?”

“Tell me what to do?” She asked, when he shook his head she scrunched her nose. “Thought so.”

She’s seen Dongwook briefly several times during the past two days and each interaction, although short, was less uncomfortable than the last. He never pushed her to remember and if he was frustrated by her lack of memories, he never showed it.

Picking up Dadoong from his play area, she cradled him in her arms and sat down on her bed cross-legged.

“I heard you named him after you and Jiyong.” Dongwook commented as made his way towards one of the chairs by the small table. Seating himself, he too crossed his legs as he regarded the girl and her cat.

Sandara blushed. She didn’t realize that everyone knew about that.

“It’s cute.” Dongwook assured with a laugh. “So.. how are things.. With Jiyong?”

Sandara looked at him, not completely understanding the question. “Okay, I guess.”

“That’s good.”

“Why?”

“He’s a good guy.”

“Yes. He is.” Sandara nodded. “So are you.” She added shyly.

“I try to be.” Dongwook sighed. “I’m really glad you’re done hiding from me.” He chuckled when Sandara blushed again. “I completely understand why but I’m happy that you don’t do it now.”

“You tried.” Sandara answered softly as she soothed Dadoong who was wiggling in her arms. “I don’t remember a lot.. But I do remember feeling that you were important to me. If that feeling remained after everything else was wiped clean, then you must really be important, right?”

“I hope so.” Dongwook smiled at her gently. He coughed as he tried to snap out of his haze. “I actually have a written account of the mission that I thought could help you remember if you’re interested. Some things will obviously be redacted and for the same reasons, I didn’t write too much about you in the official report. I do have a file of my own that I used when I was searching for you. You can go through that as much as you want to.”

“That might be helpful.” Sandara answered carefully. She’s not sure if she wants to remember her captivity without remembering anything else good first.

“Go through it with Hyesun or Jiyong or whoever or I can just relay the contents to you. It’s up to you.” Dongwook assured her. “The files are in my home safe, so I’ll be leaving later to retrieve them as well some personal items. I was supposed to be on vacation after I completed my last mission, but I figured I can help them out here with your case. I can research or go undercover or whatever that would be most helpful.”

“Thank you.” She told him, meaning every word.

He nodded before standing up. Brushing some imaginary lint off his pants, he bade her goodbye promising to come back as soon as he returns.

She watched him walk away and wonders at the pang in her chest. Her feelings for him are so jumbled, she can’t make heads or tails from it. A part of her clings to the knowledge that he could have saved her but didn’t, no matter how unfair that was; and yet another part of her admits that he feels the same way as Daesung, Youngbae or Seunghyun and maybe Heechul. Close but not as close as Jiyong or Seungri.

“Miss Sandara..” A voice from the doorway broke her away from her thoughts. She looked up to find Song Mino peeking cautiously inside her room.

“Mino.” She smiled at him. “I don’t think I’ve thanked you for helping me before.”

Mino rubbed the back of his head. “It’s nothing, Miss. And you did thank me lots of times.”

That’s good to know, she thought. Tilting her head to the side, she waited for him to explain his presence.

“Oh! Right.” He grinned sheepishly. “I remembered you saying something about your cat.”

“This is Dadoongie.” She introduced her pet, waving one of his paws at Mino.

Mino looked around before cautiously entering the room. “My members and I actually brought our pets to work today. I remembered you mentioned something about having a cat. I asked Bom noona and she told me to come see if you wanted to meet our pets.”

“You have a lot?” Sandara asked. “All kittens?”

“Yeah.” Mino confirmed. “I have a cat, my members I think you’ve met them all, Seungyoon and Seunghoon hyung have dogs and Jinwoo hyung has two cats.”

“That’s a lot.” Sandara laughed lightly in surprise. “Why’d you bring them with you?”

“Seungyoon brought them all to the vet and to the groomers but afterwards, everyone else is stuck at work so he brought them all here and we’re taking shifts minding them. Right now, we’re all on our breaks.” Mino shared. “We’re allowed to..” He rushed to inform her. “Just as long as we keep them in the pet friendly areas of the building and make sure they’re house-trained.”

“I would love to meet them.” Sandara said. She handed Dadoong to Mino who started cooing at the kitten, as she stood up and wrote a note for Seungri or anyone else who might be looking for her. Placing the note on the table, she smiled at Mino and reached out for Dadoong. “Let’s go?”

Mino grinned and started walking. He and his fellow agents have long been curious about the beautiful girl they helped before. He knows that Jinwoo and Seunghoon have assisted her on a medical call and that Seungyoon probably knows more since Daesung has been blowing up his phone and he’s heard him mention the name ‘Sandara’ more than once. Seungyoon was tight lipped about her though. Not that he’s done anything more than casually mention her. He knows better than to pry considering the business that they’re in.

Once he got back from Jakarta, very early this morning actually, and discovered that Seungyoon brought their babies with him to work he remembered promising her that her cat can play with Johnny. After his debrief, a shower and a couple of hours rest, he’s eager to spend time with their pets.

“I hope Dadoong isn’t afraid of dogs, though.” Sandara worried, biting her lip as she studied her kitten.

“Oh, Haute and Thor aren’t your normal dogs.” Mino assured her. “They’ve been raised around cats and are very friendly and sweet.” He paused as he studied her profile. “Are you afraid of dogs?”

Sandara’s strides paused as she considered this. “I don’t think so.” She finally answered.

“Huh?” Mino asked in confusion.

“I’ve got like two kinds of amnesia and many many years of missing memories.” She shared off-handedly. At his surprised expression, she continued, “I actually thought the whole building knew about the weird girl in the medical wing. I guess Big Bang really is the best when it comes to security, huh?”

“Uh.. Are you okay?” He asked awkwardly.

“Minus the amnesia, sure.” She smiled cheerfully. “Jiyong’s been really sweet. Seungri and Youngbae and Daesung and Seunghyun and Bom and Hyesun and everyone else I’ve met here have been great. There’s Minji, my nurse. She’s such a sweetheart. CL is a little scary but she loves Dadoong and she’s so cute when she smiles and coos at him when she thinks no one is looking. I heard she’s like the ultimate lady boss here, so I guess she needs to be firm. Then there’s your friend, Seungyoon!”

Sandara was so immersed in listing all the people she met who have been great that she didn’t notice how Mino spluttered when she mentioned how ‘Jiyong was sweet’.

Mino and his team have been with BBSI for years and they would never ever, even on the threat of torture associate the word ‘sweet’ with their Big Boss.

“Jinwoo and Seunghoon are the paramedics?” Sandara asked.

“Uh huh.” Mino answered still distracted.

“I’ve met them when we got shot -”

“You got shot?!”

“Not me.” Sandara clarified. “Seungri. But I was there. He protected me and he was so brave. Jinwoo and Seunghoon were really helpful. I think.” She scrunched her nose. “I don’t really recall the events exactly but I’m sure they’re- “

“Great. Yeah. I got that.” Mino interrupted with a soft chuckle. “I’m glad things are going great for you. Just let me know if me or my boys can help you in any way. I’m su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter