Seven

Boy By the Sea

The sky is blue with wispy clouds drifting about. The ocean, calm and tranquil, gentle sea breeze bringing salty mist and soft waves. Fall in Malibu comes gently, in a kaleidoscope of brilliant colors.

Nobody's home. 

Jungkook walks through the living room, past the guitar and books, the plants and rows of abstract watercolor paintings on the wall. He turns into the bedroom with the rows of floor to ceiling windows, and glances at the four post bed with wrinkled sheets. The ocean beckons outside, the sound of waves crashing to shore soothing and familiar in the background.

Taehyung is gone.

Sticking his tongue to the inside of his mouth, Jeongguk pulls out his phone and look up the location of the bar Yoongi texted him, and slowly saunters back towards the front entrance. 

He leaves his car in the driveway and walks. Down the street, about fifteen minutes onward by foot, is an abandoned old local pier. He continues to walk around the pier, basking in the sun and glancing at the empty storage area next to him overgrown with weed. There, tucked all the way in the back and not accessible by the main road, an old crumbling building with red tiled roof slowly pops into his vision. The brick walls are partially painted white, and on it, in black capital letters: PONTO FINAL. 

As Jeongguk walks closer, he spots the bar inside the building, facing the ocean and with tables spilling out casually into the sunlight. There's music drifting out, soft and mellow, and the smell of grilled fish is in the air.

Jeongguk’s gaze scans through the outdoor tables under bright yellow umbrellas. He nods to  the young friendly looking bartender smiling at him, and keeps walking. Beyond the tables, as the music fades and the sound of the crashing waves takes over, splayed out on one of the few lounge chairs with yellow cushions, is a familiar figure. 

Jeongguk exhales slowly and feels his shoulders relax, as he approaches. 

“Yoongi said you'd be here.”

Taehyung looks up, eyes hidden behind gold rimmed aviator shades. A wide straw hat casts shadow on his petite face. 

“Snitches get stitches.” the words are delivered with a sneer but there's no malice. 

Jeongguk grins lazily with crinkles around his eyes, “well he said you texted him twice. As if you wanted to be found.” He gestures to the lounge chair, the grin widening as Taehyung grumbles. 

“Like I said.” Taehyung shifts to the side, and Jeongguk sits down and extends his arm out expectantly.

He hears a soft sigh and feels Taehyung’s slender torso curling into his. Jeongguk tangles his fingers through Taehyung’s tousled hair contently. It's grown since he left, dyed ashy dark blonde, almost silvery gray, and soft to the touch.

In front of them, nothing but calm ocean waves, and endless sky disappearing into the hazy horizon. It’s as if they are at the edge of the world, away from it all. Jeongguk closes his eyes and soaks in the serenity, luxuriating in the heat of Taehyung’s skin against his chest.

After a moment of silence, Jeongguk speaks up, “are you upset that I didn't come back earlier?” 

Taehyung shifts and responds with a huff, not looking up, “two weeks, two full weeks. You said it was gonna be three days…”

Jeongguk hums, the New York office was a mess, much worse than he anticipated. They had to let a few people go, and met with most of the investors in person to calm the nervous chatters. A few more companies they invest in are teetering dangerously close towards bankruptcy, this storm that’s been raging in the industry for the past year shows no sign of slowing down. 

Even though he’s tried hard to fare better than the market, the recession continues to ravish the smaller firms in the commercial industry, claiming them victim and leaving a bloody trail in its wake. 

People’s livelihoods are at stake - friends, employees, and their families, nobody is safe. 

Jeongguk exhales sharply and pushes the thought aside. Plenty of time for that later. For now, though, something more urgent he’s been yearning for.

His fingers dip down to trace lightly on Taehyung’s jawline. They slow down under his chin and lift his face up gently.

Taehyung’s brows are knitted, but his bright eyes betray his thoughts. His lips are parted, and collarbones peek through the frayed gaps on his loose tee. The way he looks, frail yet with tiny flames blazing in his eyes, pushes a sign out of Jeongguk, as he dips in to claim the kiss. 

Taehyung whines, a small needy sound, and his hand reaches up towards Jeongguk’s neck, pulling himself in closer. They sink into it, letting the world disappear saved for the sensations of their lips melting into the kiss, the feelings of everything finally in its right place again.

Jeongguk feels the tip of Taehyung’s tongue tracing the outline of his lips. He breathes into the kiss and cradles Taehyung’s lithe frame that's now curled up on his lap, little a purring feline thing yielding to attention. 

He feels his mind go blissfully blank, saved for the heat pooling up inside and the burning desire for more. It's almost easy to pretend this moment will last forever, just the two of them, away from it all. 

Almost. 

Jeongguk reigns in his thoughts and pulls away from the kiss. 

“Hmm…” Taehyung’s whine turns into a pout. 

Jeongguk ruffles his hair, “still in public.”

“This?” Taehyung looks around lazily, “nobody's ever here. Jackson knows better than to bug me.” He towards the bar and the bartender. 

Jeongguk fixes the loose opening of Taehyung’s tee to cover his exposed collarbone, and comments, “hopefully you aren't just hiding here all the time. How are the classes going?”

At the sound of those words, Taehyung retracts and pushes himself up petulantly with one arm, feet dangling off the lounge chair, “and you just had to ruin the mood, old man.” 

Jeongguk his head to the side, “you haven't been to class at all, have you?”

Taehyung whips around with exaggerated pain in his eyes, “do you know how depressing the adult education center is? Even the air is different, smells like old people. I can’t breathe there.” 

A frown creeps up between Jeongguk’s brows, “this is the only thing you have to do - finish all the GED classes. And Yoon has already talked to the dean at UCLA to save you a spot next year as a favor-” 

“Ok!” Taehyung waves his hand impatiently, cutting him off. He's at the edge of the seat now, feet shaking restlessly, body slouched and facing away. “Ok I'll go, jeez. I got it.” 

Jeongguk exhales slowly, and speaks from behind him, “I know it's hard. It's a new city, and you haven't been in a class for a long time,” he pauses to contemplate before continuing, “if you think a tutor would help-”

“Stop.” Taehyung’s hand is on Jeongguk’s mouth now, pressing into his lips firmly. “It'll be fine, I got it.” 

He's glaring, bright eyes wide open and upset, lips jutted into a stiff pout. Such youthful energy radiating off him, with sunkissed skin and pink parted lips, beaming with life and hope. Jeongguk feels his eyes locked and can't look away. 

All beautiful things in life are fleeting - innocence, youth, optimism. But in that moment, when it shines blindingly with all its allure, Jeongguk can only gaze in awe, knowing deep down inside that it won't last, and shouldn't be possessed selfishly.

So he grazes Taehyung’s hand with his lips, delicate, careful kisses, feeling the featherlight weight of each finger, like butterflies that linger before moving on. 

Taehyung hums and the fire in his eyes dims and softens. He finally relents and leans back in, “what you up to today?”

“You know, this and that.” Jeongguk slumps into the seat and closes his eyes, draping an arm over Taehyung. 

“You mean, work and work.” Taehyung’s voice is a tad sarcastic. He shifts in the embrace. “And I thought you wanted to move to LA to finally relax and have some fun.”

Jeongguk can practically feel Taehyung’s eye roll. He grins lazily, “already bored of me? Wanna ditch and go for someone younger and more fun?”

He feel Taehyung nuzzling into his chest, legs splayed over his body possessively, “never, you are the best sugar daddy I've ever had, gotta make this count, I'm getting all the stuff I've ever wanted.” 

A wry little chuckle. “So simple, we need to work on your ambition. Stuff is easy to get, aim higher, ask for more.” 

“Already have more…” Taehyung’s face is next to Jeongguk’s heart, hand traces out random shapes on his chest. It's so very soothing, Jeongguk feels his mind slowing down as it follows the motion of Taehyung’s hand. Taehyung’s voice turns quieter, “wasn't there when you needed me last time. I won't ditch again. You’ll have to be the one to kick me out this time when you are done with me.”

His words are quiet but tugs at Jeongguk’s heart. He plants a gentle kiss into Taehyung’s hair and speaks carefully, “I'll be fine. The world is out there, and you are young. One day when you are ready, maybe you'd want go explore on your own.” 

Taehyung’s hand punches at his chest haphazardly, “here you go again treating me like a kid. I don't want to be on my own, I'm happy at home, with you.” 

Jeongguk cards through his hair and smiles as a thought drifts into his mind, “you did look happy. In the photos that you sent me.” 

Taehyung looks up with flushed cheeks and a small pout, “‘cause you never called me, I had to do something.” 

The photos were always out of focus, in low light and grainy. It's as if they were taken impromptu, in a moment of irrationality and sent in hastily before regret registers. Eyes blown out and glossy, lips bitten and parted, loosely fitted tee fallen by the shoulder. Taehyung’s long fingers are sometimes by the lips, or brushing by his collarbone like an afterthought.

The photos definitely did the job. They would stay on Jeongguk's mind all day, making him irritatingly distracted throughout all the business meetings, and nudging him to FaceTime the first chance he gets back at the hotel room. And his heart always thrums excitedly, the moment before the phone connects and he sees those bright eyes filled with sweet adoration. 

It's such torture to be away from him. But Jeongguk savours it, he's always enjoyed pain, the struggle to earn something, the need to restrain himself harder and harder, until the right moment, that perfect moment to claim the reward. 

“Such a tease.” His hand on Taehyung’s back, lips touching his hair firmly, almost chaste. But his voice is deep and raspy, and Taehyung shifts in response in his embrace, curling into him, gravitating towards the warmth of his touch.

“Did you really miss me?” Jeongguk’s hand is by Taehyung’s hips, pressing into his back and bringing his body closer. 

Taehyung hums and turns towards him, shielding the sun. He tossed his hat to the side, long silvery hair draping over bright eyes messily. “So much…”

“Missed this?” Jeongguk’s other hand reaches towards Taehyung’s mouth, thumbing at his lower lip slowly, tracing it as his gaze falls upon it. 

“Y-yes.” Taehyung responds breathily, lips parting to on the tip of his finger. His mouth feels wet and warm, Jeongguk exhales and feels Taehyung shifting to straddle him on the chair. 

Jeongguk’s hand on Taehyung’s hip tightens, as his own hip pushes into Taehyung languidly, “missed me touching you?” 

A soft moan escapes Taehyung, as he buries his face in the crook of Jeongguk’s neck, “y-yes. Wouldn't even send me a photo, so mean. Just ditched me all by myself every night, all needy…”

A muted chuckle, Jeongguk curbs his urges and keeps his voice unaffected, teasing him, working him up, “so needy, always so messy and loud.” He tangles his fingers in Taehyung’s wavy hair, giving it a tiny tug and draws another quiet whine out of Taehyung. 

Jeongguk kisses the side of Taehyung’s face, and whispers into his ear, voice low and lazy, “would you be messy and loud here? Where people can see you?”

He feels Taehyung shiver under the words, and his hips ing absently into him, small and needy moves that make his own mind hazy in response. 

“Y-yss. If you want me to… anything you want…” he's melting under Jeongguk’s hands, breath becoming short and hot. He inches in for Jeongguk’s mouth, on his lips all sloppy and pleading, hands grasping on his dress shirt, seeking for purchase. 

It takes all of Jeongguk’s self control to not sink into the kiss, but to respond lazily and in perfect control, legs spread wide as Taehyung straddles and wraps himself all over his torso. “Anything? Would you do anything to earn it?” He whispers into the kiss, hand pressing into the small of his back, encouraging the mindless s on his thighs. 

“Please. Please-yess.” Taehyung’s glossy eyes are hazy and blown out. His lips trace all over Jeongguk, and hands pulling on his shirt messily, voice quiet and pleading, “ Guk, don't play me like this, you've been teasing me for two weeks over the phone.” 

Jeongguk tightens his hand by Taehyung’s hip, and thumbs at his hipbone firmly from under the loose tee, drawing lazy circles slowly and watches as Taehyung unravels, “but you love it, love to earn it and ask for permission.” He rasps and draws the words out slowly, “come only when you are allowed.” 

Taehyung quivers into the kiss, “, you’re always so prim and proper, so in control, but then you make me do things, make me beg for it…” 

Jeongguk cards through his hair, grasping and tangling into it deeper, and savours the delirious pleasure of restraint, as he responds calmly, “tell me what you want. Ask for it.” 

Taehyung whimpers into his ear, body writhing under his hands, “take me home. Now. Want you to wreck me, please.” 


***


When they finally get home, Taehyung’s lips are ruddy and swollen from all the biting. As Jeongguk pushes him into bed, he can't help but to pause and take in the sight. Taehyung’s hair is fanned out prettily on the white cotton sheets, his breath hot and heavy, yearning for him, needing him so desperately. 

He makes Taehyung touch himself, and savour the strings of moans and whimpers that fall out of him. When he finally fills Taehyung from behind, the moves are slow and delirious for both of them. Taehyung does earn the reward eventually, hard and overstimulated, rutting himself into his hand and snapping under the firm and reassuring touches. Jeongguk then waits, feeling the throbbing of within him. Wait, until he feels the tremble slows and stops on Taehyung, and his breath is shallow and even again, arching his back prettily and eyeing him with desire in his gaze. When Jeongguk finally comes, the relief is heady and dizzying. He lays there, collapsed, and feels all his muscles loosen. Taehyung has an indulgent little grin on his face, cupping Jeongguk’s cheeks with both hands and kissing him gently before sauntering away to grab towels to clean both of them up. 

They stay in bed and talk about everything and nothing, until Taehyung’s hooded lids droop and lashes flutter. His face is serene in a deep slumber, cheeks still flushed and hands grasping onto Jeongguk’s arm possessively. When Jeongguk retracts himself slowly away, Taehyung whines in his sleep with knitted brows and makes Jeongguk grin. 

By the time Jeongguk is washed up and dressed to step out for a jog, the sun is hanging low, and misty haze shrouds the horizon, where the sky meets the ocean. Jeongguk feels the lightness in his steps, as he pushes into the sandy beach and picks up in speed. He inhales the salty air filled with the scent of the sea, and lets his mind wander back to all the issues that plague his mind. Troubles that he never shares with Taehyung - business concerns, the stress in Yoongi’s voice every time he picks up the phone, dreams that come back to haunt him still from time to time. 

Jeongguk revels in the sensation of pushing his muscles to exhaustion, building sprints into the long jog to ramp up the response from his body. Those precious moments when his body fires back alarmingly in pain, and lung gasping for air. The physical response to the demand of the jog always makes him feel so exquisitely alive, sharp sensations that drown out all the muddled thoughts on his mind, cleansing and anchoring him to life. 

By the time he's back at the front door, his muscles are contently fatigued and mind at peace with solutions for a few issues at work. The sky is darker and tinted in rosy and golden tones. And right by the front door, seated next to a few bright fuchsia blooms that have fallen from the tall begonia plant, is a furry little thing that gives him pause.

A white kitten, with black and yellow calico spots on its tiny back, meows at him timidly. 

Jeongguk inches towards him, surprised, and kneels down to whisper, “are you lost?”

The kitten responds with another meow and meets his eyes, not moving away. Jeongguk reaches out his hand and feels the tiny furry head nuzzle into his fingers. 

“Where's home?” He asks again. The kitten looks at him with ember orbs, and moves closer and leans into his leg, rubbing onto him in long . 

Jeongguk sighs slowly, and reaches in to pick up the kitten. It's so small, fitting right between his two cupped hands. No collar on its neck or markings on its ears. There's sand and mud in the speckled fur, and the tiny body shivers. But when Jeongguk brings him up closer to look at him, the kitten stares right into him with shining unabashed eyes.

Jeongguk doesn't think about fate much. But for a few precious moments in life, he feels it, the sensation that certain people and events, are fated to be.

The kitten sits in his cupped hand close to his chest, as he makes his way through the door and towards the bedroom. He kneels onto bed and reaches towards Taehyung, who is asleep and clutching onto a pillow tightly. 

From Jeongguk’s hand, the kitten looks onto Taehyung and meows timidly. Taehyung stirs and grasps onto the pillow tighter.

The kitten eyes Jeongguk, who stares back hesitantly. Then it slowly dips its tiny paws onto the bed, cautiously but eventually making its way towards Taehyung after scratching behind its ear.

“Meow.” The kitten Taehyung’s hand by the pillow, Jeongguk feels the corner of his mouth curl up. Taehyung’s lids flutter and as his eyes open, his gaze zooms onto the kitten in surprise, watching it begin to paw his finger lightly. 

“What-” his voice is laced with sleep, but the surprise in his tone is unmistakable. He pushes himself up with one arm and eyes Jeongguk groggily, “is that-a kitty?” 

Jeongguk watches amused, as Taehyung’s gaze softens and his hand reaches in to touch the kitten. It's so tiny, the head just big enough for Taehyung to scratch lightly, but the motion produces a purr right away, as the kitten leans its whole body into his hand longingly. 

“It was at the front door. We can ask around to see if it has a home, but for now there's milk in the fridge?” Jeongguk offers.

Taehyung’s eyes are filled with tenderness as he reaches out to touch the kitten more, “poor thing, must be starving…”

It takes them another hour to feed the kitten, wipe it with warm wet towels, and make a bed for it with blankets. He turns out to be a boy, no more than a few weeks old if Jeongguk has to guess, and mellow under Taehyung’s touch. Taehyung sits next to the makeshift cat bed, and watches as the kitten doze off, curled up in a tiny little ball. 

Jeongguk glances at him and comments, “I'll call all the vets close by and report this, but if we don't find an owner…”

Taehyung the kitten’s back slowly with one finger, voice laced with longing, “if we don't find an owner…”

Jeongguk eyes him and clears his throats before continuing, “would you want to keep him?”

The words linger in the air, tantalizing. Taehyung bites his lips, his head tilted in a nervous tic, voice hesitant, “can I? I know you don't like clutters and mess, I’d understand if you don't want to…”

He gazes onto Jeongguk timidly, not daring to hope. Jeongguk’s heart softens. He finds a spot on the floor next to Taehyung, and sits down, “ maybe we can take care of him together, yeah?”

Taehyung’s breath hitches, and a pretty smile blooms on his face, making Jeongguk feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, “oh Gukkie-I've always wanted-oh god, never had a chance-” he chokes up on the words and buries his face into him, voice a grateful whisper now, “thank you.” 

Jeongguk doesn't tell him that he's never thought of having a pet, never felt anything towards an animal - they seem distant, detached, belonging to someone else. Commitment to an animal, or to another person, is  something he's always shied away from. But watching Taehyung with the kitten makes him soft and content, unable to say no. 

He looks onto the little fur ball that's quickly becoming a part of his responsibilities and hums with trepidation. It's so tiny, what's the worst it can do, right. 

Jeongguk drapes his arm around Taehyung and comments, “if we do keep him, what do you wanna name him?” 

“Oh… I don't know, he's so sweet and mellow. I'm just...so happy.” Taehyung's grin is spreading, his voice dripping with joy, and he leans into Jeongguk. 

“Chim Chim.” 

Taehyung looks up and meets his eyes. Jeongguk clears his throat and tries to keep his voice even, “Jimin mentioned before that was Solar’s nickname for him, and it always made him think of home when he heard it…”

His voice trails off, as Taehyung’s eyes widen slowly, with all the bittersweet memories flooding back between the two of them. Quietly Taehyung nods, then he looks away and blinks hard, before Jeongguk catches the mist in his eyes. 

“Chim Chim…” Taehyung whispers and the kitten’s back softly, “did you come back for me? Were you worried? I'll take care of you this time ‘round, ok? You’re home now.” 

Jeongguk thumbs the tears away from Taehyung’s face and holds onto him, reassuring him wordlessly. They sit together on the floor, leaning into each other as the kitten sleeps peacefully curled up in the folded blanket. 


***

 

The next day, they spend the whole day visiting the vet and getting supplies to help Chim Chim settled in. He turns out to be fairly health, if small for his age and malnourished. And no posting looking for him, as far as Jeongguk could find. 

By nightfall, Taehyung and the kitten are all but inseparable, on the floor playing and nuzzling into each other for hours. When Taehyung’s phone starts buzzing, Jeongguk looks away from the document on his laptop and watches as Taehyung hangs up with a resolute click. 

“What is it?”

Taehyung answers without glancing up, “just some new friend I made at the local jazz bar, I think there's a performance there tonight.” 

Jeongguk speaks up, “friend. That's good, right?”

Taehyung throws a fuzzy mouse toy at Chim Chim, body spread out on the floor lazily, “I guess, it's kinda a fun place. Ten minute into the Bluffs, live band, plays oldies and also covers with a twist.” 

“Oh.” Jeongguk yawns as he gets up from the couch. “Sound like your kind of place.” 

“Yeah…” Taehyung rolls onto his back and ruffles his hair, “I said I was gonna pop by.”

“And?” Jeongguk steps towards him, voice inquisitive.

“And-” Taehyung grabs the kitten off the floor gently and kisses it on the head, “-and now I have Chim Chim and you, and I never have to leave this house ever again!” 

Jeongguk eyes the empty plate on the floor with leftover bits of fries, and the random sheets of music scattered about next to the guitar Taehyung’s bare feet are touching, before piping up again, “well, you've been on the floor since this afternoon… I'm sure Chim Chim appreciates the company but-maybe some human interaction would be good also?” 

Taehyung twists his mouth around and scrunches up his nose cutely in response. In his embrace, a set of ember eyes gaze onto Jeongguk, echoing the same playful stare as that of the owner. 

Jeongguk inches closer and hugs both of them with open arms, “c’mon, making friends sounds like a good idea in a new city.” He kisses into Taehyung’s hair, “we can just go for a bit, a quick date, what do you say.” 

Taehyung’s gaze softens, “really? You? Wanna go out?” His eyes shine with excitement, “well, I do have a new shirt I could wear, it's lovely.”

The jazz bar, Cezanne, turns out to be in an old Victorian style house perched on the hill, surrounded by tall oak trees with leaves rustling in the dark. As they step inside, the band has already started on a song, and people are scattered about, seated in wicker chairs with drinks on the table. And when they turn around to look at them, they can not look away. 

Everyone’s staring at Taehyung, as if a spotlight is shining on him, casting his wavy blonde hair in a soft glow. And he did dress up - scarlet red embroidery snakes slither around the collar of his starched white shirt, matched with ripped black jeans that make his legs look long and alluring. 

He is stunning, and fully aware of it. A radiant smile hangs on his lips, as he nods towards the singer on the small stage in the back of the bar. 

They slowly make their way to the empty reserved seats up front, next to a bunch of young girls that giggle and blush the moment Taehyung sits down. The band is in full swing now, the piano player dazzling the crowd with his skillful solo, and the drummer echoing the improvisation and keeping up with a punchy beat. 

Taehyung is in his element, unconcerned of all the attention and enjoying the jovial ambiance. Leaning towards Jeongguk, he waves the waitress down to order scotch on the rocks, and beams at him every time their eyes meet. 

It all feels a bit too much to Jeongguk, the glaring lights, the front seats, being with someone that's the center of attention, but he has a sip of the drink and takes it all in. The silhouette of Taehyung’s face is delicate but full of youthful energy, as he gazes up to enjoy the performance. There are thin strands of wavy hair softly draping over his face, and Jeongguk feels the urge to reach in and brush them to the side gently. 

A bright singing voice pulls him out of his thoughts. It's cheerful, and the optimism is contagious. Jeongguk looks onto the stage and finally notices the singer that Taehyung has been smiling to. 

Warm eyes, hip jutting out and hands to the mic stand, he holds a confident grin that seems to brighten the world around him. It's a lighthearted song, and the drummer is pumping out a quick and lively beat. And his voice travels in the room, soaking everything in joy and bringing a smile to every audience. 

You gotta hold on, hold on through the night
Hang on, things will be all rights 
Even when it's dark
And not a bit of sparkling
Sing-song sunshine from above
Spreading rays of sunny love

The saxophone chimes in with upbeat high notes, and the singer is tapping his feet and swaying to the song. Jeongguk hears the girls next to them swoon and snap endless photos with their phones.

Taehyung leans in to whisper in his ear, “Hoseok is the best, isn't he? Already got a few albums out, the girls go crazy for him.” Jeongguk looks up just in time to see the singer winking at them playfully, the stage light casting a glimmering halo on his hair. 

Eventually, the song slows and moves back to the pianist, closing with melodic keys trailing off evocatively. Loud applauses fill the bar instantaneously, and Hoseok smiles in response, as he rests against a barstool on stage. His fingers caress the mic stand teasingly as he speaks up, “thank you, thank you so much. So for the next song, I was thinking of trying something different.” He glances over at Taehyung and continues, “you see, I met a very special friend recently, who has the most amazing voice I've heard in a long time. An old jazz soul. I wonder if he would be willing to come on stage and play a song together.”

The audience quiets and zooms in onto Taehyung, who looks stunned with wide eyes and snaps back at a beaming Hoseok, “no! You wouldn't do this to me! You crazy?!”

Hoseok is unfazed, chuckling and waving his hand, “c’mon, we are all friends here. Help me out a little please?” He stands up and walks towards Taehyung, with a wide grin that's impossible to refuse, “just one song, the one you played for me last time, the Stacey Kent song, we’ll sing it together.” He pouts cutely and pretends to beg with puppy eyes. 

There are scattered laughters and cheers from the crowd now. The pianist joins in and starts a pretty little tune, and a few people swoon. Hoseok extends his hand out, “pretty please?”

Jeongguk catches Taehyung’s glance towards him, there's surprise and trepidation in his eyes, but also bright sparks of excitement. He nods encouragingly and comments, “try it? If you don't like it we can go?” 

A small grin plays on Taehyung’s lips, as he responds shyly with giddiness laced in his voice, “if you say so.” He turns to Hoseok, biting his finger nervously but eyes bright and daring, “ok… Alright... How do you want to do this.” 

Jeongguk watches as Hoseok exclaims in delight. The bass player brings over another barstool as Taehyung gets up on stage, hand flipping his hair back. Hoseok grabs an acoustic guitar from the back and leans onto the barstool again, “old school, baby.”

Soon they are seated facing each other, with mic stands set up. The crowd quiets in anticipation. Hoseok arches an eyebrow at Taehyung, “ready?”

He strums the guitar and sets up the chords, eyes glancing over at Taehyung expectantly. Taehyung looks onto the crowd with flushed cheeks, and makes a silly face, earning a few friendly chuckles. 

The melody starts off slow. The kind of song that plays in the still of the night, while melancholic thoughts fizzle in the dark. Hoseok starts to sing, with lidded eyes and an airy voice.

Romance is a game for fools, I used to say,
A game I thought I'd never play
Romance is a game for fools, I said and grinned.
But you passed by and here I am
Throwing caution to the wind.


The words are delicate and almost a whisper. 

He eyes Taehyung encouragingly, who clears his throat while cocking his head to the side in a nervous tic. But Jeongguk watches as something shifts within Taehyung, a somberness that washes over him. His eyes shine with tenderness as he finally sings into the mic. 

His voice is deeper, quiet at first but grows in confidence slowly. It's nostalgic, almost achingly so, and draws the listener in with the soulful undertow. It's as if the lights have suddenly dimmed, and the audience listens with bated breath, enthralled by the magic of the moment. 

Taehyung glances into Jeongguk as he sings, letting the lyrics fill the space longingly.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread
And so I come to you, my love, my heart above my head
Though I see the danger there,
If there's a chance for me then I don't care
When we met I felt my life begin
So open up your heart and let this fool rush in

The realization dawns on Jeongguk, that perhaps Taehyung belongs on that stage all along, shining brilliantly and uniquely of his own. The world is Taehyung’s, in all its dazzling details, opening wide and freely with endless opportunities. And in that moment, Jeongguk feels like a bystander on the side, gazing at him fondly and entranced, but a few steps outside of the frame. 

Next to Jeongguk, the young girls whisper excitedly and pull out their phone to start recording. 

Later that night, Jeongguk and Taehyung leave Cezanne in their car, as Taehyung chats animatedly about being on stage. Unbeknown to them, over in the vast void of social media, a storm broods and slowly builds up in intensity. 


JayHopeSmiling
@junghoseok
Another amazing show, love xoxo
x/xx/xx, 11:32 PM

2,574 Retweets   6,016 Likes


SAP @Donna_SAP1997 • 8h
Replying to @junghoseok
Who was the dude singing with u tonite, omg so hot 
[video]
534 Retweets   1,423 Likes


Elli @ouruneSPTY • 8h
SAME. SO GAWD DAMN GOOD LOOKING AND THAT VOICE. WHO IS HE 
25 Retweets   104 Likes


JulzJulz @glowhoseok • 8h
Does he have songs out bc heart eyes 
54 Retweets   150 Likes


51 more replies