Four

Boy By the Sea

Taehyung sits on the steps in front of the house, and inhales the fragrance of fresh coffee with eyes half closed.

The trees lining alongside the street are budding with new leaves. Small patches of grass dot between the brownstone houses with lush shades of green. The air is still chilly but mixed with the sweet aroma of flowers. Spring in Greenwich is a pretty thing to be savored.

Suddenly the shoulder he's resting on pulls away, making Taehyung stumble awkwardly and yelp out of surprise, “Dude, stop messing around, I was sleeping!”

A loud chuckle, “My shoulder ain’t a pillow, lazy bum.”

Taehyung gives Jimin a dirty look and mumbles disgruntledly, “Look at us, summoned here by his highness like some stupid ers. I didn't even eat breakfast yet.”

Jimin’s smile doesn't falter, “He said he didn't have to work today and wanted to take you somewhere, I'm sure it'll be fun.” His gaze lands on Taehyung’s denim jacket, hand reaching out to give the sleeve a tug, “I told you we should've gotten you a wool one, this thing is so - ugh, I've been wanting to toss it out this whole time-”

“DON’T-” Taehyung pulls away and squints dangerously, “-even think about it. This thing lasts forever man. And wool? Seriously, you people, I'll get mugged so fast..” He shakes his head but clings onto Jimin’s shoulder like a puppy burrowing towards warmth.

Jimin dips his shoulder, and pauses before speaking again, “So did you end up checking out that bar down the street?”

Taehyung’s eyelids droop, “Yeah, can't just free load here like a frigging pet forever...”

“Well, that bar is not a bad place. Lots of locals go there. Did you get the job?”

“Started last week. Place is kinda weird but not too bad.”

Bar Abraxas is the name, which isn't even on the building front. It looks unassuming and downright dingy on the outside. Taehyung first notices a small handwritten note taped on the door - looking for part time bartender. He walks by it a few times before finally knocking on the door one day, reluctantly. Nobody answers, but that never stops Taehyung.

“So you met the owner?”

“Yeah, dude’s got a ed up sense of humor alright.”

He remembers Jin’s loud “yah!” that day as he catches Taehyung walking into the bar. They sit by the counter, the antique wooden surface smoothed out and polished by the countless patrons over the years. Right when Taehyung thinks he's about to be quizzed for past bartending experience, Jin proceeds with an entirely different question.

“Why can’t you hear a Pterodactyl go to the bathroom?”

Jimin raises an eyebrow, “Wha...”

“That was what he asked me. After I told him my name and that I wanted to work there.”

“Come again?” Jimin asks.

Taehyung repeats with a poker face, “Why can’t you hear a Pterodactyl go to the bathroom. I recommend you don't over think it.”

Jimin sounds curious, “Ohh, why is that? What's the answer?”

Taehyung looks into his eyes and responds, face as stiff as death, “Because, the P is silent.”

Jimin pauses for a second, eyes widen, and suddenly a hearty laugh erupts out of him, “ahahahah. The P is silent. Oh man that's frigging hilarious, ahahahaha!”

Taehyung’s expression goes from dead to judgmental, and finally lands on disgust. He looks at Jimin next to him, who's slapping his thigh excitedly and hollering in laughters, and pulls away slowly, “Wow, incredible. Can't believe someone actually thinks that's funny, I'll be sure to let Jin know.”

“Ahahahaha, tell your boss his joke is brilliant!” Jimin exclaims, earning a scoff from Taehyung.

“I sure will, plenty where that came from.”

But yep, that's pretty much how Taehyung gets the job. He fakes a stiff grin on his face upon hearing that dreadful piece of pre-historical humor, and watches as Jin’s expression brightens. At least the new boss is easy to please, very easy.

As Taehyung soon finds out, the rest of the characters working at Bar Abraxas are just as bizarre. There's Kyungsoo, the other bartender that has never uttered a word to anyone. Yixing is the cleaning dude that's constantly half baked and dream talks mid-thought as if in a trance. And on weekends, they get the loud jolly giant Chanyeol with big pointy ears, who can play any instrument in the bar but always ends up getting beat up by Kyungsoo violently for trying to make him talk.

A band of wacky misfits, just the way Taehyung likes it.

Jimin pats his head lightly and speaks, “It’s good you got a job. I won't have to worry as much when I'm not around.”

Taehyung swats his hand away, “Why would you ever worry about me, worry about yourself instead.” He pauses suddenly and looks up, “Wait, what do you mean when you’re not around, where you going?”

A sheepish smile spreads on Jimin's face, “Nowhere, not yet anyways. Solar keeps bugging me about starting my own chauffeur company, something about being more ambitious and setting an example for the kids.” He chuckles nervously and looks onto the street and right through it, “It doesn't feel like the right time, Mr. Jeon is so...preoccupied. Maybe once you are more settled in, and things are more balanced, maybe in a year or two…”

“A year or two, jeez, who thinks that far ahead, I'll probably be dead by then.” Taehyung makes a silly face, hands fidget with the now empty coffee cup, “I'm out of here in a few weeks, no more. Whatever happens to him is none of my business. And I already told you, stop calling him Mr. Jeon, it sounds so damn old.”

Jimin laughs, “And I also told you, I won’t. It’s the least I can do, showing some respect... I had so many dead end jobs before this... You know, Mr. Jeon-” he feels Taehyung’s glare and responds with a friendly nudge of the shoulder, “-Jeongguk promised me on the first day, that as long as I worked hard, he would find a spot for me no matter what. The stability allowed me to have a family, to put food on the table. It probably doesn't mean much to others but it does to me, a lot.”

Taehyung bites on the edge of the coffee cup, his legs crossed and one foot dangling restlessly.

Jimin’s gaze towards him softens, “Sometimes, life works in weird ways, people meet the ones they need at the strangest time.”

“If you say so.” Taehyung mumbles, seemingly to himself.

He gives Taehyung’s sleeve another tug, “Maybe you can help each other out somehow. He seems so...tense sometimes, carrying so much on the inside.”

Yeah, like everything will come crashing down if he makes a mistake, Taehyung thinks.

Jimin runs a hand through his hair and smiles to himself as if remembering something - someone lovely, “I've always wanted to tell him, that it really doesn't matter. If someone really cares about you, if they really love you, they are not asking for you to protect them, they just want to be with you and see you happy. That's all.”

Taehyung is silent. Jimin and him sit together quietly, each in their own thoughts.

Finally Jimin speaks again, “Need more meds?”

Taehyung stirs, hand instinctively reaching for the back pocket of his ripped black jeans. The outline of the two pills inside comforts him, “No, that last prescription is lasting for a while, I think I’m good.”

Jimin eyes him sympathetically. It’s well-meaned but still stings. Taehyung looks away.

“Dr. Wu said your symptoms were mild, and should be fine as long as you take the meds-”

Taehyung waves his hand and cuts Jimin off, “Ok now you’re just nagging. Stop it, I’m fine.” After a short pause, he adds, somewhat hesitantly, “He hasn’t asked about this, has he?”

Jimin shakes his head, “But I’m sure he knows. You do live right next to his room now.”

“Thanks for the reminder, I’ll try not to flip out one day and frigging kill him or something.” Taehyung sneers, voice more deflated than threatening.

Jimin looks at him thoughtfully, and Taehyung knows that look, “Ok stop, I know, nobody has stayed in this house since forever, I get it. Heard the whole spew from that prick Yoongi already.”

“Because it is true, man!” Jimin chuckles, and tilts his head back to get to the last sip in the coffee cup, “And both of you seem happy with the arrangement, no?”

Taehyung’s at a loss for words. Jimin is not wrong, he rarely is. It’s actually been kinda nice for the past month or so, seeing Jeongguk more, talking and even having a snack together in the kitchen sometimes. On paper, they have nothing in common, but every time they talk, things just falls into place, and he finds himself wanting to know him more. There’s an ease to Jeongguk’s presence that Taehyung can’t quite explain. Just as he scratches his head and tries to change the subject, he sees Jimin suddenly standing up, looking happily onto the street.

Taehyung’s heart thumps nervously, and he hates it. He follows Jimin’s gaze, and there is Jeongguk, with a gym bag tossed over his shoulder, looking irritatingly fit in a simple white t-shirt.

“Thanks.” Jeongguk motions towards the car parked on the street, and Jimin beams.

“I filled the tank and left a case of water in the trunk.”

Jeongguk steps over and pats him on the back, “Of course you did. Got plans for the day?”

“Solar was thinking of taking the kids to the Bronx zoo. Man, I'm not big on crowds but when she gets an idea…”

“I think it sounds fun.” Jeongguk gives an encouraging nod.

“Well, I'll leave you guys to it then.” Jimin eyes Taehyung before starting to walk away.

Taehyung twitches, “M-maybe he can come with us, no?”

With his back still facing them and striding away down the street, Jimin responds, “Oh no, you heard me. Got plans. Have fun, guys!”

Taehyung bites down on his bottom lip, and the familiar stern voice deadpans into his ear, “Relax, I don't bite.”

Memories of dissonant notes flash across his mind, and his cheeks burn. A quick jab of the elbow as he tries to hide the shiver from the whisper, “So, where to?”

Jeongguk tosses his gym bag into the back of the car, grabs a bottle of water and hands it to Taehyung. “Anywhere you want to go, really.”

Taehyung shoots him a quizzical look, “But you told me to be here, thought you had plans.”

Jeongguk opens the car door on the passenger side, his hand pauses at the frame, eyes somber but sincere, “To be honest, I wanted to have a chance to make it up to you.”

He continues, carding through his hair and choosing the words careful, “Everything’s been a bit...off. I'm not good with words. And also no good at taking care of people, like Jimin is.”

Taehyung gapes, stunned, “You don't have to take care of me-”

“Like a guest.” Jeongguk adds, but seems to regret the word right away and stammers, “No - I mean, like a friend... Anyways, I don't get much free time, so I'd like to offer today. To show you around. Anywhere you want to go, anything you'd like to see.”

His hand on the door frame taps nervously, expression somber as always. Taehyung feels something in his heart shift, “You don't have to - you've already done so much -”

“I want to, please.” Jeongguk interrupts him, and gestures for the passenger seat. Taehyung gets in obediently, curling up his legs on the car seat as usual.

It takes Jeongguk a moment to get in. When he finally turns to look at Taehyung, his lips are pursed but the corner curls into a small grin, “So?”

Taehyung shifts and tries his hardest at not looking giddy like a stupid little kid, “Well, if you insist.” He ponders for a second and speaks hesitantly, “Somewhere green and pretty? Does that exist in New York?”

Jeongguk nods thoughtfully, as fingers scroll through his phone, “And music?”

“Chet Baker.” Taehyung is now practically beaming.

Jeongguk clicks his tongue, and scrolls further before tapping on the song. The soulful melody starts slowly, with statics in the background, soundbites from a bygone era. When the trumpet finally eases its way into the space, a satisfied sigh escapes Taehyung.

“Got an idea.” Jeongguk speaks lazily, as he pulls out a pair of sunglasses from above the mirror. “Haven't been there in a long time, but I think it's just the right place.”

Taehyung hums and curls up more into the seat. Then they both hear the stomach growl, unmistakable and cutting through the music. Taehyung looks at him innocently and pouts, “Maybe food first though.”

Jeongguk chuckles as he starts the car, “Ok, maybe food first.”

 

------

 

 

The sky is pale blue, soft clouds drifting idyllically, and the air is warm and filled with the smell of spring and weekend laziness. The grass under him is damp, peeking through around the denim jacket he's sitting on. Brooklyn bridge is sprawled out in all its glory in front of him, imposing limestone columns withstanding the test of time.

All around, old-fashioned carousel music is mixed with the laughters and clamor of families scattered throughout the park. The Grimaldi's takeout box is warm on his lap, bright red sauce and vibrant green strands of basil contrasting on the half-eaten slice of pizza.

And Jeongguk is right next to him, in a grey hoodie and dark sunglasses, eyes hidden under the black Yankees cap. His presence is assuring, in a way that Taehyung can’t quite explain.

It all feels so perfect, too perfect like a dream that he would wake up from at any moment. A dream he doesn't deserve.

It's not your life, you can pretend, but not yours. The voice in his head whispers. The scenery glitches, and dark shades loom over the sky. Taehyung blinks it away forcefully and focuses on the little girl with the bright yellow balloon in front of him instead.

“Where did you get the balloon, sweetie? Can I have one please?” His voice is playful, eyes crinkled into smiling crescents.

The little girl lowers her head and hides her face into her shoulder, balloon vibrating in the wind.

“You have very pretty ribbons on your hair.” Taehyung adds and watches as she giggles and runs away towards her parents.

Such a perfect moment, he sighs happily, feeling the warmth of the sun soaking into his skin, blinking hard again to stay in the moment. 

“Guess what.” He points at the antique carousel in the near distance, while nibbling on the pizza, “Never been on one before.”

Jeongguk hums, “Me neither.”

“What.” Taehyung’s voice raises a pitch, “Always figured you had the perfect childhood, all prim and proper with a million toys.”

“Parents had business issues,” Jeongguk responds plainly, “I wasn't born rich.”

“Hmm, go figure.” Another nibble of the pizza, Taehyung looks up at the train zooming by noisily on the bridge, “You and your friends all look like you’ve been loaded since forever.”

Jeongguk replies, eyes hidden behind the dark sunglasses, “Well, both Yoon and I, our families have been around for a long time. Definitely an advantage - reputation in this circle goes a long way.”

“Whatever that means, sounds nice though.” Taehyung comments.

Jeongguk answers, after a short pause, “But when everyone knows you, there's also pressure to do well.”

He looks unassuming in the casual clothing, but there's something in the way he carries himself - an innate confidence of knowing exactly what he wants at all times. “Seems like you do well enough though, not the losing type.”

Taehyung can sense the curiosity in Jeongguk’s gaze behind his sunglasses. Just when he is about to change the subject, he hears Jeongguk’s response, “Six years of boarding school on my own, there was one thing I learned.” Jeongguk turns back to face the shimmering river in the distance, “Success is mostly just stubbornness and luck. 

Then his voice turns quieter, “Cant afford to lose anyways.”

Taehyung tears at the edge of the pizza box. More questions come to mind, but the way Jeongguk’s voice sounds, resolute and determined, makes Taehyung pause. Instead, he hears Jeongguk ask, “And you? Always lived in New York?”

Taehyung places the box to the side, and reclines into the damp grass, shielding his eyes from the sun. He runs through all the routine cover stories, but they all suddenly feel hollow. Taehyung clears his throat, and instead responds honestly, “Been everywhere. But always wanted to come to New York. You know, the city that never sleeps!” He waves his hand dramatically in the air, earning a chuckle.

“Where’s everywhere?” A cautious lilt to the question. Taehyung can see Jeongguk’s back, and tufts of black hair peeking through from under his cap.

Taehyung flips his hand back and forth into the sun, playing with the shadow his long fingers cast on his face, “Portland, San Jose, Pasadena, mostly on the west coast, I was apparently a “hard to place” case, whatever that meant.” He mumbles mockingly, eyes squinting, “There was even a family in Illinois for a few years, so ing cold.”

“New York gets cold too.”

“Yeah but..ugh.” Taehyung shivers exaggeratedly, “Plus grandma always liked New York.”

Jeongguk hums. 

Between his fingers, Taehyung tracks the slow and mesmerizing drift of the clouds above, savouring the calming effect of the motion, “She always talked about it, when we lived in Cali. I wish we got to come visit together before she died…”

“How old were you when she passed away?”

“Ten, I think? If only I was old enough to make a living… could’ve saved myself from all those years of foster homes, .” The simmering frustration irritates him, memories floating to the surface, memories that he hastily pushes to the side.

Taehyung feels a hand on his arm, the touch is light yet firm. He looks towards Jeongguk and meets his gaze, “You did well. Made it on your own. Your grandma would be proud.”

Taehyung feels his throat dry. He has the urge to hold onto the hand by his arm, but knows better. Instead, Taehyung laughs it off drily, voice deflated, “Pretty sure she wouldn't be proud of how I turned out. Not everyone is a success like you, or even have people that care.”

Jeongguk turns to face him, and pulls off his sunglasses. The gentle gleam in his eyes makes Taehyung flinch. He looks away, pretending to be blinded by the sun, but Jeongguk’s voice still seeps in, “My parents were never the lovey touchy kind, especially after the divorce. I was more concerned with keeping everything financially afloat anyways, couldn’t even tell you when I stopped looking for approval.”

Jeongguk’s hand stays on his arm, face dark against the sunlight behind him, “You’d be surprised how much of a failure I think I am. You were right the first time we met, you and I, we’re really not that different.”

Something stirs within Taehyung, timid but urgent, making him finally reach out to brush against Jeongguk’s hand. Taehyung’s eyelids flutter, as the sounds of the world fade away. And for a brief moment, they are together, sharing a content silence reserved only for the two of them.

 


------

 


Taehyung is unsure what to expect when they arrive at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. As he trails behind Jeongguk, Taehyung is soon overwhelmed by the beauty along the way.

The Japanese pond filled with carps and water lilies, peony garden exploding with shades of fuchsia and pink, and the hundred year old hackberry tree with majestic canopy shading the glass pavilion below. It's almost too much, suddenly being surrounded by all the beauty. It makes his heart tremble and mind go blank. Taehyung tries to remember all the sceneries in his mind - to be played back in the dark, alone in his mind, when the grind gets tougher and the grim city streets feel suffocating, like a cage he was born into with no way out.

He has always yearned for nature in a way, where he can finally breathe and just be. There are hazy memories buried deep inside, of sandy beaches, salty sea breeze and carefree days. But they are so distant and blurry, he's never quite sure if the memories are real and worth abandoning everything for.

He pulls himself out of the musing. All he has is this moment - a past best forgotten, and a future he would rather not think about yet. But maybe that's enough, for the presence happens to be a moment that's almost too precious to behold.

“Here it is.” Jeongguk speaks next to him and signals to what’s ahead.

Two endless allees of cherry trees fill up the expansive field in front of them. Everywhere he can see, there are mixes of pink and white blossoms, releasing their intoxicating fragrance and reveling in the spring air. Taehyung’s steps slow down, as if entering a dream. His eyes zoom onto the flowering branches, marveling at how each bloom is perfect in its own unique way. And the sky peeks through the layers of petals and young leaves, an immaculate blue backdrop too vibrant to be real.

“Thoughts? Is this what you wanted?” There's a glint of indulgence in Jeongguk’s gaze under the cap.

Taehyung bites his lower lip but can't suppress the silly grin spreading on his face. With an overjoyed little sigh, he rushes towards Jeongguk and embraces him tightly with both arms, face lowered and buried into the crook of his neck. Jeongguk’s torso tightens at the touch, but relaxes slowly as Taehyung sinks into the warmth of the hug.

“Thank you.” The words are no more than faint whispers, but Taehyung knows Jeongguk hears him. He lingers in the hug, dwelling in the simply physical contact with no string attached. Jeongguk is silent, but his hands rest on the curve of Taehyung’s back, firm and reassuring.

When they finally part, Taehyung snaps his head away and hopes the blush on his cheeks fade soon. They walk wordlessly for a moment, Taehyung carefully sidestepping through the fallen petals on the pathway, not having the heart to stomp on them.

Finally he clears his throat and breaks the silence, “It’s magical.”

Jeongguk responds next to him, “I've only been once when I was young. Looks like some of the buds haven't opened up yet, probably should've come a few weeks later.”

“Oh no,” Taehyung shakes his head and looks at him earnestly, “This was perfect already, so perfect I don't even know what to say.”

Jeongguk smiles, voice teasing but satisfied, “Too easy to make you happy. Try to ask for something tougher next time, like most other people.”

Taehyung shoots him an exaggerated glare and mutters, “I'm not ‘most other people’.”

He inches towards a branch and closes his eyes to inhale the saccharine fragrance. Suddenly there's an urge to capture the moment, however undeserving of it he may be. Taehyung looks towards Jeongguk hesitantly, “Um, I do have another favor.”

Jeongguk his head to the side, “go for it.”

“Could I, maybe, get a photo, please?” He fidgets with the sleeve of his jacket and wiggles his pursed lips, making Jeongguk chuckle. “Don't ask me what the I'm gonna do with a photo… It's just - really want something to remember this by…”

Jeongguk pulls out his phone and contemplates, “I dunno, what's in it for me. Drive you around all day and now have to take photos for you…”

Taehyung rushes back to Jeongguk, and tugs on his hoodie pleadingly, “please? Please, I’ll-God I'm so useless... I'll-I'll cook ramyeon for both of us when we get home?”

Jeongguk pauses at the last word, and shoots Taehyung a glance. Taehyung responds with praying hands.

He beams when Jeongguk finally raises his phone.

Turns out Jeongguk is meticulous with photos, as with most things in life. He spends time assessing lighting, composition, and other things that go over Taehyung’s head. Then there are the taking and retaking of photos at different angles. So much time elapses that Taehyung’s initial trepidation in front of the camera evaporates, and he ends up just walking next to the cherry trees freely while letting Jeongguk do his thing. The photos turn out to be brilliant - mostly of Taehyung looking away from the lenses, some are zoomed-in details, of his fingers, wrist, or ruffled hair amongst flowering branches. Candid, some blurry but evocative, they are so different than the way he sees himself, inexplicably so.

Taehyung never really gets to see those photos again, saved for one. But it turns out he doesn't need photos to remember this day by, after all. The memories are vivid on his mind for years after, warming up his thoughts and bringing a smile to his lips when he draws upon them. It brings him comfort and strength, to know that no matter how bleak the days may get, there's always a little corner of paradise he can visit in New York, when spring comes.