Chapter 2

Me, After You

Looking at the clock on the wall, I could see it was already one pm. Time sure went fast when you are working. I let my eyes wonder back to my journal, it’s my personal journal. When I feel bored and don’t know what to do, I would end up opening this white journal of mine, or I would end up having my eyes stuck on a book. But today is different, I choose to write. Write my indescribable feelings.

Just as I want to write another sentence, someone slam a book in front of me. Making me jump because of surprised. I look up to see Jaejoong oppa looking pissed and bored.

“What?” I let out a shriek, because I was surprised by his sudden action.

He doesn’t say anything. He pulls the chair that’s in front of me and sits on it. He looks at me with his fierce eyes. He folds his arms on his chest, still not saying a word.

I throw a piece of straw at him, “What do you want old man?”

He scoffs at me, “Nicole is being complicated again.” He huffs.

 My frown gets deeper.

Why is he talking about this all of sudden?

“What do you mean by being complicated?” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“You know what I mean.” He rolls his eyes, “You girls are so complicated.

I shrug, letting my right hand doodle something on my journal, “So? Let her be. That’s the consequence that you need to take when you are dating a girl. Anyway who asked you to date a girl? If you couldn’t handle it, just date a man. As simple as that, who cares you date a man?”

I let out a smirk on what I said. But it’s true. A girl being complicated is a normal thing. Well, human being complicated in general is normal.

“I do!”

He throws a piece of crumple tissue at me. I take the crumple tissue and throw it back at him. He then glares at me before letting out a long sigh. He’s looking at the crumple tissue on his hands, smiling a bit.

“I love her still despite her sassiness and complicatedness, I love her too much to let her go and date a man.” He smirks at the his last words

I let out a small smile and nod, “I know.”

I could see it from his eyes. On how much he loves her, care for her, and wanting to protect her. From the way he talks about her I just knew it.

She’s lucky to have you oppa…

Putting down the crumple tissue, he cross his arms and put it on the table.

“Anyway, I want to talk to you about our new program.”

“What program?” I ask, but not looking at him.

The doodle that I make looks interesting to me, so I focus on it rather than him.

“Are you listening?”

“Of course I do, just talk. I’m listening.” Kinda, but I don’t dare to tell him that.

“Alright, remember the talk we have a few weeks ago? It’s about the senior part-time working program.”

“Ha?” I stop my doodling and look at him with a confuse face, “What do you mean by senior part-time working program?” I make a quote sign with my hands at the senior part-time working program.

He smiles, “You heard me, senior part-time working program. It’s a program where old people could have some experiences, here at your book café.”  He winks playfully.

My mouth went open and close like a fish at his words, “W-what do you mean by old people?” I rub my faces with my hands, feeling fluster all of sudden.

“Wait,” I hold up my hands, “Did we talk about this? I don’t feel like we talk about this.” I let out an awkward laugh.

“Yes we did, we talk about it for the past two weeks and you said yes. You said it would be a good opportunity for them and us to learn with each other.”

“But I thought it was only an idea!” I shriek, feeling scare all of sudden.

“An idea that you asked me to make it happened.” Jaejoong oppa lean on to me and hold my hands.

I let out a sigh, feeling defeated, “How long do we need to do this?” I didn’t dare to look directly at his eyes, so I ended up caressing his hand that is holding my right hand.

“A month, that’s it. If you like one of them, we could hire them permanently later.” He replies softly to me.

“Okay.”

I don’t know what to say anymore. Every possibility is running on my mind, what I should do with them, what would happen if I do this or that, would they feel happy here? Would they be comfortable here? My mind is running wild and I couldn’t stop it, and it’s due to the sudden news. Well it wasn’t sudden news really. But still… is it wrong for me to feel nervous?

Jaejoong oppa feel the distress that coming from me, so he lean further to me and hold my hands a little bit tighter.

 “Tae, everything is going to be just fine. You are good at this. You are love by the elderly. You know that don’t you?” He smiles warmly, a smile that he knows could make me calm.

I blinks, “I- I don’t know?” I look away for a second before I focus back to him, “It’s new you know? Working with the elderly, I never really work directly with them.” I whisper.

He only let out a smile and my hair with his left hand, “It’s alright, and I know you will do just fine. They love you, trust me.”

“Okay.” I don’t know what to say anymore, so I just give in.

“Good,” He kisses my forehead, “Because they will start tomorrow.” He then walks away from the table that I fill in.

My eyes went wide when I take in his words, “They what?!”

 

***

With my hands in front of me, I smile at the elderly, who stood right in front of me. There are only three old people and one teenager, but somehow I feel awkward, and nervous

“So!” I clap my hands excitedly, “Welcome to Rose petals book café, my name is Kim Taeyeon, and I’m the owner of this place. I hope you will enjoy your part-time work here, learn lots of things, and of course have a great part-time working program.”

I look to my side, there’s Jaejoong oppa who stood there with his hands on his back and also a warm welcoming smile on his beautiful face. I pat his back.

“Here’s Kim Jaejoong. He’s the manager here, so if you need anything or you have any questions just go to him, or me. Whichever you prefer and we both would gladly help.” I continue my words before ending it and throw it to the manager, which is Jaejoong oppa.

“Okay, so, from here Jaejoong-ssi will take the lead. Jaejoong-ssi, please take it from here.” I look at Jaejoong oppa and give him a look of ‘take it from me’.

He rolls his eyes at me, before giving the new interns a warm smile, “Yes, please follow me everyone. I will assign you with your individual work.”

With his hand, he gives the interns a sign to follow him to the back of the café where they will learn some basic things first before they are assign to their own activity. I look at Jaejoong’s oppa back as he explains some things to the interns. All of sudden, a wave of relieve hit me as I look at him. He looks calm as he listen to some of the interns, and he answers them nicely too. It wasn’t a weird thing to see him that way really. He usually is like that, to everyone. He is warm and kind, with a bit of sassiness.

I’m glad that he’s here with me, to help me and support me. I don’t know what I am going to do if he isn’t here with me.

I smile at the scene in front of me and turn around, only to find Tiffany standing behind me with a bright smile.

“Ya! What are you doing there?!” I almost shout at her, because I’m surprised by her sudden appearance.

She let out a giggle, “Hey boo~” She waves at me with that playful expression that she always have.

I wave back awkwardly at her, “So? What are you doing here?”

She pouts at me, “Ya! Can’t I meet the friend who I miss dearly?” She pushes my shoulder still with a pout on her face.

I let out a small laugh and shrug, “I guess you can.”

I walk past her to an empty table. I take one of the chairs and sit on it, and she does the same. As she sits, Tiffany put her cream colored bag on the white and black coffee table. She fixes her hair and clothes before she sits quietly on the chair. I take a closer look at her. She wears some fancy clothes. Her hair was done beautifully with a minimum make-up.

“Are you going somewhere?” I ask her, leaning towards my left palm.

She nods as a reply, “Yes, I’m going to New York for a vacation.”

My mouth went open, “New York for a vacation? Seriously Tiff?”

Does she need to go that far for a vacation and in New York?

“Why not going somewhere else like Maldives, now that’s the real vacation.” 

I voice out my opinion before I raise my hand to ask of the waiter to help me with our snacks.

Yes, Maldives would be a great place for a vacation. I dream of going there someday, or perhaps Bora Bora, yeah… that one is a great place too.

As I deep in my own thoughts, Tiffany let out a heavy sigh, she take her bag and put it on her lap.

“I’m bored.” She huffs cutely.

I let out a scoff at her cute act, yet ridiculous reason, “You are bored and you decided to go to New York to chase down the bored feeling? How charming aren’t you Tiffany?” I snicker at her.

She throws a piece of tissue at me, “Tae!” She almost whines.

“What?” I laugh as I take the tissue and hold it in my hands, “It’s not every day you do this you know. I mean, you are busy with your own work after all right?”

I say it to her before I turn around to say thank you to the waiter who brings our snack. I take one of the warm cookies that I know had been made by our head of bakery, Wendy. I put it in my mouth and it melt immediately.

Hmm… Wendy’s cookies… I love it!

“Well, say thanks to my father. He let me have a little vacation this time.”

I push the plate of cookies to her, “Since when Mr. Hwang let his daughter go away for a vacation? More surprisingly, you are going on this vacation alone right?”

I said this because Mr. Hwang is pretty much protective over Tiffany. He wouldn’t let her go anywhere alone that easily.

Tiffany nods her head. She takes a bite of the cookie before she answers my questions, “Since eomma told him to cut me some slack. She said I’m an adult now, no need to watch me like a hawk.”

“Huh.”

 I feel amazed by her words, because I could imagine Mrs. Hwang said those things to Mr. Hwang. Mrs. Hwang is a lady, a true lady. She’s calm everywhere anywhere. But, she doesn’t take any nonsense from anyone, which includes her husband, Mr. Hwang. Mr. Hwang once told me, the reason why he loves his wife so much is because she doesn’t take any crap from him. She would tell him what’s wrong and what’s right directly to him. She doesn’t feel afraid to voice out her opinion towards her husband. That makes him love her more. She is fearless despite her calm appearance.

“Well, your mother is right. You aren’t a kid anymore. You are twenty one years old. So… why not try to give you some spaces right?”  I dipped my cookie into my glass of milk and take another bite of it.

“You are right. I’m an adult now. I can do whatever I want.”

“Well not everything.”

She frowns at me, “What I mean is, you can’t kill someone. That’s again the rules.”

She rolls her eyes at me, “I know that Kim Taeyeon. Everyone knows that.”

I let out my silly grin and take the final bite of my cookie.

 

***

The hustle and bustle inside the store slowly fading away, everyone is getting ready to go home. One by one they walk out from the store with their own things and their farewells. While I’m crouching beside a book rack, I wave my hand at the new young intern name Kyungsoo. He gave me his cute wave before he walks out from the door. When I’m sure he’s already gone, I continue to set the books in order inside the white rack.

From the end of my eyes, I could see Jaejoong oppa walking towards me. Already wearing his black leather jacket and a white shirt, he looks handsome as usual. Even after a whole day of work he still looks fresh.

“It’s closing time.” He put his hands inside his pocket jeans.

“Uh-hu.” I nod at his words, my hands still lingering on the books.

He looks around the empty store before focusing back at me, “Do you want me to accompany you?”

I shake my head slowly, “No, you can go home. I can do this by myself.” I let out a smile to comfort him.

“Are you sure?” He looks doubt as he said it, “I could accompany you here. I’m sure Nicole won’t mind.”

I chuckle at him, standing up I walk towards him and pats his shoulders with my both hands, “Oppa, just go home. I’ll be fine. This is not my first time staying here all by myself to rearrange the books.”

I turn him around and push him towards the door, “Now hush! Off you go!”

I might be not sees it, but I could feel Jaejoong oppa roll his eyes at me.

“Okay, fine!” He half shouted, “Just promise me you will call me as soon as you reach your home okay?” He ruffles my hair.

“Ish!” I grow at her, “Fine! I will call you, now go! Nicole eonni is waiting for you!” I push him again, this time towards the sidewalk.

He laughs, “You are cute Kim Taeyeon. See you tomorrow!”

“Bye!”

I wave at him before walking back into the store and finish what I was doing. After thirty more minutes, I finally finish what I’m doing. Before I decide to go home, I take my time to make a glass of ice tea. Taking a sip of my drink, I take a sit at the corner of the store. I look around the book store, my book store.

 

***

I was locking the door of the book store when I saw Mr. Kim sitting on one of the benches beside the book store. He was sitting alone with his black coat, with a cup of hot coffee that I knew Kyungsoo made for him. He supposed to be at home now. I saw him went out from the store one hour ago. Fixing the strap of my bag, I walk towards him.

“Mr. Kim? What are you doing here?”

. He looks up when he heard my voice and gave me a warm smile, “Well Hello Ms. Kim, such a nice night isn’t it?” He says softly.

I wet my lips before biting it, “Ung, yeah. I guess.”

Hugging myself I look around the neighborhood, there are couples of people around the area, but it’s pretty deserted already. It’s pretty normal because it’s eleven pm and people supposed to be at home at this kind of time. Well, except for me and perhaps Mr. Kim. It’s quite dangerous here at this kind of time. Now I’m nervous about it. About his safety and mine, I need to get him home.

“Why aren’t you go home already Mr. Kim? Would you like me to call a taxi for you? I don’t mind to-” I want to offer him a help, but he interrupt my speech with his hands gesture.

He waves his hands dismissively at me, “No need Ms. Kim. I will go home as soon as finish this copy of mine.”

“Oh?” I blink my eyes, “Alright then.” I smile at him as I tuck a strand if my hair that’s come loose from my hair tie and put it behind my ear.

“Okay… um… would you mind if I go first then?” I almost ended up stammering as soon as I said my words.

He shake his head, “No, of course not. Please be careful on your back home Ms. Kim.” He nodded his head slightly and gave me another of his grandpa-ish smile.

I let out a laugh to cover my nervousness around him, “Just call me Taeyeon, no need to call me that.”

“Alright, I will call you Taeyeon.”

Wow, that’s fast.

I’m sure I look pretty silly right now because of my tight smile that is on my face and my arms wrap around me. I nod at him, I feel reluctant to leave him alone here. I know he is a man, but he’s quite an age already. Is it alright to leave him here alone?

“Ung… are you sure you want me to leave? I could accompany you here if you want to.” I offer my help once again, but again he refuses.

“No need to do that Taeyeon-a, I will be just fine all by myself.”

Scratching my head I nod again, “Then… see you tomorrow?”

“Yes, see you tomorrow.” He nodded his head back at me.

“Bye. Goodnight.”

 I gave him a small wave before turning away to walk back to my home.

 

***

I let out a sigh as I dry my hair with the small towel that I put around my neck. Sitting on my working chair, I take my journal out from my bag and open it. I let it settle on a new page. Putting the pen beside the journal, I sit there quietly. I think of something, or more precisely about someone. I smile wistfully, a sudden emotions attack me after I sit here on my chair, thinking quietly.

 “I wonder how I went this far…”

I turn my head to the right side to see a brown teddy bear sitting at the corner of my study room.  I tilt my head to the side, smiling at it.

“It has been a year huh?”

I stand up from my chair to walk towards the teddy bear. I look at it closely, before I take it into my arms and rub it head. I hug the teddy bear into my chest as I let out the question that I’ve been dying to ask to that person.

 “How are you? Jung Yunho-ssi…”

A tear flow out from my eyes as soon as I said the last words, and just like that I burst to another tears.


I know, I’m late with the update.

I’m sorry T ^ T)

My real life schedule was hectic, but now I’m back! Hehe

I will try to update it regularly from now.

 

Anyway, hope you enjoy the story!

Please tell me what you think about this chapter!

See you in the next update!