Kai

Streets of Seoul

"Did he really give you 100,000 Won?", Lay asked with astonishment in his voice.

"Yeah but he looked kinda shady."

"But 100,000 Won Jongin! That is a lot. Now you can pay some debt by the landlord. Yesterday, he asked me once again when you are going to pay and I had to calm him down for you. It is a blessing! Maybe you will meet that shady person and he will be generous again!", Lay yelled excitedly to Kai who just nodded his head in shame.

Lay was right. He really did need the money. His rent hasn't been paid in 2 months and the landlord was on his feet all the time. He already got enough patience from Mr. Oh. No wonder the old man was busy running after him every chance he got.

"I am going to pay him now then. It's only a little but it shows that I am trying to collect the money I guess.", he says and Lay nods enthusastically.

"Do that! You never got so much money only from street dancing. It is great, really! Maybe that guy was a scout and will soon come to you and ask to take you under contract! How awesome would that be?" Lay was still talking when Kai left the aparmtent of his friend.

The both lived in the same building and same floor. They only got to know each other because of that coincidence but Kai wouldn't miss the chance to meet Lay in the first place. He was a good friend. Even though he didn't have a very well paying job either, and the both struggled a lot to pay their own rents, they got along very well. If they didn't have a lot to live off, they tried their luck in street dancing or other mini jobs. Just the bare minimum to get a meal out of it or two. The both had been through a lot and Kai was glad that Lay had always been there to support him and visa versa.

Kai knocked on Mr. Oh's apartment and paid the old man, when he opened the door. After apologizing for all the trouble, and promising to pay the rest by tomorrow morning, Kai went to the grocery store. He really had to eat something, even if it was only ramyeon. When was the last home cooked meal he ate? Kai didn't know the answer, it must have been some time ago.

Eating in silence, Kai watched the by-passer through the store window. It was a rather rainy day, the sky grey and it looked like it would rain any time soon. Everyone who was walking outside, was wearing something warm and cozy. Looking down at his old clothes, Kai shamefully ate faster than before. He didn't like how his life turned out to be.

After his parents died, and his aunt took all the money that was supposed to be his inheritance, Kai had nothing left but the name Kim, and the clothes he owned. He hadn't been very well off before that accident either. He didn't have much on his bank account and the few pennies were enough to pay two monthly rents at Mr. Oh's apartment complex. He was already living in a rather bad neighborhood but the rent was still so high, that he had to really work his off to pay every month. 100.000 Won is a lot of money for someone starving like him, but not enough to survive.

All that Kai wanted was a job, that paid him well. Just anything that wouldn't make him feel bad and guilty all the time. Living off pennies is not something that his parents would have wanted for him. They had other plans for him, like attending a school abroad and saving all their money for his goal to become a well respectable dancer.

Kai sighed when he thought back to happy times, laugher and joy. He missed his parents so badly. The thought alone made him spill some tears which he quickly whiped away. He swore to himself that he wouldn't cry anymore. He did so at the funeral already. Now it was time to look forward, to do his best and to acknowledge every opportunity that would appear.  Kai nodded to himself, having made up his mind. That man, the shady guy from yesterday night, Kai had to find him and impress him so much he would pay him another 100.000 Won bill. So he would be able to at least pay Mr. Oh and have one less trouble. If he was very lucky, maybe he could ask the man for another job. When that stranger could give a simple street dancer 100.000 Won, than he must be a rich man. He must have the money or a good paying job.

Maybe Kai could ask him if he had something for him. Anything, really. Kai wasn't very picky anymore. He got rid of that trait of his a long time ago.