Produce 101 (PART 2)

"Everything I do is temporary"

March 1st, 2016

The Day Before Episode 11

Somi went into the familiar room that had the official Produce 101 logo on the wall. The girl was asked to do her final interview. She started shedding tears as she thought of the past memories. Sixteen.. 

 

“I just keep thinking... What if I get eliminated at the very last minute again?”, her voice cracked as she said the harsh words. Somi wanted to break down but she couldn’t. She didn’t look at the camera, embarrassed that she was crying and stared at the staff who was asking her questions. After the interview, Somi went back to her room and started packing up her things with dry tears on her face. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

April 1, 2016

Episode 11 / The Last Episode

This is it Jeon Somi… Fighting! 

 

It feels all too familiar. The original songs produced by famous artists and composers. Performing in front of a big audience. All of the CEO’s of every company that are still in the finals, sat in front of them to show their support, and all of the eliminated Produce 101 trainees were here. Sadly, JYP is not here to watch his precious trainee, but the girl has always received his support ever since from day one. Her parents aren’t here, but she knows they’re watching the live broadcast with her sister Evelyn. Somi is also surprised at the amount of support she gets from her TWICE unnies. She remembers watching a video of TWICE singing ‘Pick Me’ in a karaoke booth and Jihyo shouting, ‘Jeon Somi, fighting!’. Nonetheless, from all the support she gets, it still doesn’t affect the fact that she may or may not debut. Yes, Somi knows that she is very high in the votes and has maintained a good position in the rankings. 

 

You never know. This is Mnet! There could be a twist.

 

Another thought came in her mind, will she be able to beat Kim Sejeong and get first place? All of these thoughts were filling Somi’s head, but now it is not the time to be thinking this. The young girl took deep breaths and put on her best smile as she walked out on the triangle stage and to her position. The center. Before the music started, she looked around to see the top 22 trainees in their positions. It felt like everything was in slow motion as she saw everyone nervously smile at her. She could see Doyeon mouth ‘fighting!’ and Chungha was grinning at her. The younger girl looked at Sohye, who she had gotten very close to. She can’t believe that Sohye has worked so hard to get to where she is right now. She really is a hard worker and Somi admires the girl who always had hope. Somi made sure to take a quick peek at Yeunjung and she saw the red-haired girl with a tight-lipped smile on her face. They were going to perform ‘Pick Me’, but it wasn’t going to be like the first time. It wasn’t going to be filled with cheers and screams from tired trainees, who were trying to boost everyone up. It was going to be a performance that they will always remember because it will be the second and last time that they perform ‘Pick Me’ as 101 trainees. Although the song is upbeat, the meaning behind the performance would be sad. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After performing ‘Pick Me’, ‘When the Cherry-Blossoms Fade’ and their debut song ‘Crush’. It was time to finally announce the official ranks. 

 

“Pledis, Lim Nayoung” 

 

“Jellyfish, Kang Mina” 

 

“Fantagio, Kim Doyeon”

 

“MBK, Jung Chaeyeon” 

 

“Pledis, Zhou Jieqiong” 

 

“Redline, Kim Sohye”

 

“M&H, Kim Chungha” 

 

“Fantagio, Choi Yoojung” 

 

The 10th to 3rd place was announced and Somi was still standing with the other trainees who were not announced yet. The young girl made sure to say congratulations to the people who were currently now known as I.O.I. members. Eternally, she was freaking out. Her name was not called yet, but another situation popped into her head. Could it be?

 

“Now… We have three spots left. 11th place, 2nd place, and 1st place. We will reveal the two trainees who are in 2nd and 1st place. Then, we will lastly announce the 11th place” 

 

“May Jellyfish trainee, Kim Sejeong and JYP trainee, Jeon Somi, come to the podium?”, Somi gasped at the mention of her name and looked over at Sejeong. Sejeong nodded and gave a small smile to the trainees around them. There were some people that were already accepting their fate, and Somi could feel the burden. 

 

Is this what TWICE unnies felt like when I didn’t debut? Somi put a hand on her stomach, the guilt was already building. Somi hardly swallowed and took deep breaths as she walked across the platform. This was it... People never understood why Somi was always so nervous about Produce 101. She always received comments such as ‘you’re in JYP, of course, you will debut!’. That’s the point, she is in JYP, which meant people had higher standards for her and all of the pressure they’re putting on the young girl is crazy. There were two small step podiums that she assumes her and Sejeong are suppose to stand on. Somi had already cried, the dry tears were evident below her eyes. Sejeong remained calmed with a bright smile on her face. 

 

Somi… You’re really going to debut! 

 

Somi started to calm down. Was her dream really going to come true? 

 

“First place is…” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“JYP, JEON SOMI. CONGRATULATIONS”, the host yelled and Somi kneeled to the floor. For the umpteenth time, the girl burst into tears as Sejeong ran towards Somi to congratulate her. Somi couldn’t hear anything the host was saying, she could only hear the loud cheers of the audience, her muffled sobs and Sejeong’s soft voice. 

 

I really won? I got first place out of 101 trainees! JEON SOMI YOU DID IT. With the occasional sobs, Somi proudly said her speech and made sure to thank everyone. The Produce 101 trainees, her family, the dance and vocal teachers and the ‘Producers’ who voted for her. 

 

“Eomma. Appa. Are you watching? I did it!”, she laughed happily with tears of joy. Then, she spoke in English which earned some cheers from the Produce 101 trainees. 

 

“Thank you for all of the support, like all over the world. I’m so happy. Thank you!”, Somi did a quick happy dance, as she heard someone behind her cheering loudly at her English skills. The JYP trainee smiled as she looked around and took in the moment. 

 

Jeon Somi is officially debuting with eleven hardworking talented unnies. But more importantly, Jeon Somi won first place in ‘Produce 101’. Ever since Sixteen, this was the first time Somi was excited to go home. However.. There is one person that hasn’t been announced yet. The one person Somi was rooting for to be in the group. 

 

Yu Yeunjung. 

 

She has to debut. If Yeunjung isn’t announced as the trainee in the 11th place. Somi knows that she will feel regret for the rest of her life. She’s the reason why Yeunjung didn’t receive the extra amount of votes in the ‘Into The New World’ performance. She will be part of the reason to why Yeunjung won’t debut. 

 

“We have announced the 1st and 2nd place, but we have yet announced the 11th place. This is the final spot for the I.O.I group. On the screen we will show four trainees, and one of those trainees is the 11th place winner. Let’s look at the screen”, everyone was looking at the screen. Somi was anxious, she bit her bottom lip. 

 

Please. Please. Please. 

 

Four trainees were shown and she silently cheered when she saw Yeunjung on the screen. She smiled and nodded, Somi is sure that Yeunjung will debut. The trainees on the screen decreased as now it was down to two trainees. Yeunjung and Hyeri. It was like Somi was just an average citizen watching ‘Produce 101’ at home. She was on the edge of her seat, repeatedly whispering. 

 

“Please. Please. Please” 

 

She stared at Yeunjung’s face on the screen. Yeunjung looked down, trying not to cry. While Hyeri gave a small smile. As soon the host said ‘vocal’, Hyeri knew who was going to debut.

 

“Starship, Yu Yeunjung!”, the top 22 trainees, now known as the eliminated trainees, gathered around Yeunjung and gave her a group hug. Somi stood up from her seat and clapped excitedly, trying not to cry again. There wasn’t a burden anymore, Somi feels like she’s on cloud nine. When Yeunjung walked up to her seat that the number eleven on it, she looked at Somi and gave her a nod saying ‘thank you and congratulations’. While Somi returned the nod and grinned like a kid who got candy. 

 

“The final members have just been confirmed. Everyone please applaud for them. They are the final members!”, Somi bowed and smiled when she saw all of the Produce 101 trainees were on their feet, cheering for the new girl group. 

 

“From now on, as I.O.I, the nation’s best girl group, 11 members will show you the best of stages.”

 

The host pointed at Somi to grab the mic on her seat. “Everyone”, the I.O.I members all stood up from their seats “Daedanhi kamsahamnida (Thank you very much)”. As one group, they all bowed at 90 degrees. From now on, Somi will walk down the flower path with Nayoung, Mina, Doyeon, Chaeyeon, Jieqiong, Sohye, Chungha, Yoojung, Sejeong and Yeunjung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----

AN: this was weak I'm sorry D: I don't how I am going to talk about Somi's experience with IOI because that is A LOT. So I might just do a chapter with each member of IOI and Somi. Sort of like a Somi interactions with *this specific member* and then I'll talk about their disbandment :( Also, don't be surprised if Twice is mentioned a lot in this book. We all know that Twice members are big parts of Somi's life, as Somi trained with them. So yeah! Thanks to the people who waited for this update, and I do hope to continue this story!