Produce 101 (PART 1)

"Everything I do is temporary"

It has been a year since Jeon Somi was last seen on Sixteen. Whenever she searched up her name on the internet, she would read her fan's reaction with JYP's decision of not letting her debut. Some were upset and angry that their bias didn't make it, and others understood JYP's decision. During Sixteen, Somi was at a young age where she still needed a little more improvement, especially with her dancing skills.

"In the future, Somi will mature and her skills will also", JYP would always say that whenever he was asked about Somi. JYP even referred Somi as fermented kimchi, aish what a weird man, Somi thought as she saw a clip of her producer in Weekly Idol. 

After the day of Sixteen's final showcase, Somi would continously practice her vocal and dancing skills in JYP Entertainment Building. Alone. There would be rare occasions where she would see her unnies in the building, recording their new album, practicing their songs or even at the hair salon. Jeon Somi refuses to be jealous of Twice, and instead she will support her unnies endlessly. But, there was that one feeling Somi would always feel. During her free time, which was basically all the time considering Somi was still a trainee, she would facetime Chaeyoung and she would end up seeing the other Twice members on her phone, being reminded of that lonely feeling. The little girl never had that many friends. In school, she was practically a celebrity now, she would go through the same routine. Go to school, get bombarded with questions about her senior idols, eat lunch and then go home. It was tiring, but she didn't want to seem rude in front of her classmates, so she allowed them to ask questions. Somi would always think, maybe if I debut soon, every one of them will come crawling to me, asking for my autograph. She laughed at herself as she pictured  a bunch of teens dressed in school uniforms with their phones, all running after Somi. But, she just had to face the reality that she was never going to debut until Twice disbands, everyone knows how much JYP treats the Twice members as if they were his daughters.

Little did Somi know, that her dream of getting another chance to debute was on ANOTHER survival show. 

 

 

 

 

 

January 18th, 2016

4 Days Before Produce 101 

Somi was having a meeting with her manager, as they were about to discuss Somi's career. She sat across her manager as he kept talking about some opportunities of Somi appearing on variety shows, which were totally useless for her since she was just a trainee, when her manager's phone started ringing. Her manager looked at the phone and was confused. He showed Somi the phone screen showing her the phone number. The little girl, who was also now confused and the manager picked up the phone. 

"Hello?"

Somi stared at her manager as he listened to the stranger on the phone, who was talking for quite a long time. It must be something important if manager-nim hasn't hanged up yet. Somi could still hear the stranger talking loudly on the phone, she asked who was on the phone and she could see that he was heisitating to say who it was when he covered his phone speaker with his free hand and said to Somi. 

"Mnet has offered you to come on a reality girl group survival show.." 

There was that feeling again, why do I suddenly feel nervous, but excited? The last time she was asked to go on a survival show was Sixteen. Except, Somi was young and so cheerful during Sixteen. Since then, she really has changed. Somi was thinking as the stranger, now known as Mnet producer, was still talking to her manager who was also contemplating if he wanted Somi to join or not. Manager-nim put his phone between him and Somi on the table and pressed the speaker button. 

"It's a show called Produce 101, where 101 trainees from different companies will join and they will go through many challenges to determine if they'll be in a girl group. Except, the twist is that the judges are the viewers themselves. They will vote and determine the ranks of each individual on the show. The girls that make it to the finale and rank between 11th - 1st place, will debut as a girl group for a whole year". 

Somi felt her jaw drop, 101 trainees!? How was she going to go against 101 trainees when she could barely go against sixteen of them? But, Somi thought harder. She does feel regret after Sixteen, wishing that maybe if things were different then she would make it into Twice. If only she worked harder. She decided that she was going to redeem herself. Her manager grabbed his phone and looked like he was about to make a decision for Somi as he heistanted to speak. 

"Well.. This is going to be a big thing that will be happening in four days and I don't think Somi will immediately be to able- ", he brought the phone closely to himself, when seconds later, he realized his phone was grabbed by the trainee across him. 

"I'll do it". 

Now, it was the manager's turn for his jaw to drop. Before all of this, it turns out JYP entertainment had rejected this offer twice, but her manager didn't want to say anything.. Somi smiled at her manager's reaction as she gave back his phone. 

"It will be fun, right?" 

"But Somi, your first audition will be in four days. That is such little time to prepare. And, you also need to go to Mnet for a interview and have a little auditon, I'm just worried that you will get stressed-", Somi interupted him and noticed that the phone call was still going. 

"Please tell your other producers that Jeon Somi will be participating in Produce 101", Somi smiled again as she hung up the call and her manager calmed down and gave her a small smile. 

 

The next day, Somi went to Mnet to record her audition video. With the little preperation she had, she decided to sing Adele's song, Turning Tables, and dance to Breathe by Miss A. Now, she was standing in a room with a black background, in front of camera. This brings back so many memories. She wore a shirt with red and white sleeves and on the front it said, 'Get, Set, Go', black shorts and matching red shoes. 

"Hello, I'm fifteen years old, Jeon Somi who has been under JYP for 2 years". She smiled shyly at the camera and bowed, when one of the producers who was with her asked her a question. 

"What are you going to do first?" 

"I'll dance first." Good choice, Somi. 

"If you dance first, wouldn't you be out of breath?" Aish stupid Jeon Somi. 

"Oh! Then I'll sing first..", the young girl awkwardly smiled and looked at anywhere else where there wasn't a camera. That was a little embarassing.. 

After she sang, Somi gave it her all in her dancing portion. Then, she was asked by the producer to show her an indivdual talent that she had. 

"Do I start?", Somi asked, already looking embarassed of what she was about do. I already regret so much. The producer nodded at her and encouraged her to continue. 

"Oppa..", she started moving her shoulders and hands cutely as she remained to have a cute smile on her face. 

 

 

 

 

"I dreamt, I dreamt of a ghost! I was scared!" 

Somi covered her eyes with her hands in embarrassment. One of the producers complimented her and said she was cute. Then, Somi continued with her interview. 

"Where are you going to rank?", a male producer asked Somi. With confidence Somi easily said.  

"I'll rank at least 8th place!" 

The male producer started laughing at the younger girl. 

"Then why did you tell me the last time, that you'll rank 5th or 6th". Yah, you cocky girl. 

"I did, but I heard there are a lot of great people coming out so.. Yes, I'll probably get in the top 8 right?", Somi chuckled nervously and looked at the camera. 

"With everyone's strength, I'll either be able to debut or not be able to debut. Please, like me until the end, thank you!", As her interview was ending, Somi raised her hands in the air and showed two peace signs. 

 

 

 

 

 

January 22nd, 2016

The First Recording of Produce 101 

Most of the trainees were already sitting in their chosen spots, when Jeon Somi came a little late. Great, it's like they planned for me to come last to scare others. It was more scary for Somi, she was practically alone when one of the reasons why she was here, was so she wouldn't feel that loneliness. She saw her company's name on the big screen as she could hear others whispering about her. She looked up as she saw the whole set. Wow.. Daebak, there really is 101 girls. She was walking and scanning through the seats as she finally saw a empty one, seat 59. On the way to the empty seat, she felt kind and said hello to others. Somi was feeling super nervous, this was way more intense than Sixteen. The fact that their chance of debuting depended on the viewers was even more nervewracking. What if they start hating me because I was on Sixteen? What if none of the trainees like me because of my company? Somi's train of thoughts were interupted when one of the girls who had the eyes of an anime chracter said something to her. 

"I watched Sixteen", the older girl smiled as Somi thanked her. The last thing I would want is people talking about Sixteen when we're on another survival show.  Somi thought as she felt the stares from other people and heard the whispers about her. 

The auditions went by as she saw the other trainees sing and dance. Everyone is really talented and really pretty. Somi was starting to feel more nervous about her song choice especially when she saw the Starship trainees preform. Everyone looked like they practiced so much for their audition, when I just started practicing 2 days ago. Of course, nobody is perfect. Somi felt bad when she saw Kim Sohye's performance, the poor girl decided to choose a song that was sung by the two MBK trainees that were participating in the show. Sohye had a nice voice, she just needs to learn how to breathe properly when singing AND dancing. 

The producer told Somi that her audition was coming up soon and told her she should get ready, so Somi went backstage as she waited for her audition. Then, she saw the Jellyfish trio standing beside her. One of them, named Kim Sejeong, gave Somi her signature eye smile.

"I'm your fan", Sejeong exclaimed when Somi replied with a thank you. She seems really happy. 

Somi kept waiting nervously, but she ended up noticing how extremely happy the Jellyfish girls were. For christ sake, they were playing games with each other as if they were 6 year olds who were having a play date. She also noticed two tall Pledis trainees standing at the end of the line. Wow.. Pledis is really no joke, look at how tall and pretty they are! Somi read their names on the sticker that were on their clothes. Im Nayoung and.. Zoo Jeeqong? I totally butchered her name. 

"Camera operator, you look like Cha Seung Won!", she heard Sejeong and Kim Nayoung say loudly. 

How could they be so playful and free right now? Then, the Jellyfish trainees were called to the stage and I gave them a smile of encouragement. I decided to go back to my seat to watch their performance. After seeing how they acted, I am really curious to see how well they do. 

After the Jellyfish performance, everyone clapped loudly as Somi cheered with  slightly open. She was entirely shocked when the Jellyfish trainees started singing and dancing, their cheerful side had disappeared and it was like they were replaced with actual idols. Somi has decided that Kim Sejeong was a singing god, her voice was perfect for the concept. Kim Nayoung had a husky voice and Kang Mina was a total cutie that had killer dance moves. Finally, it was time for Jeon Somi to start her audition. Don't mess up, Somi. 

For some odd reason, Somi started thinking about her other interview with Mnet. 

The producer was recording Somi as she was watching Twice dance to Like Ooh Ahh, then in the interview Somi said some wise words.. 

"There's a saying 'You lose if you're envious', so I'm not envious of Twice", Somi laughed at herself. Throughout the rest of the interview, the only words Somi would say was 'debut', 'when will I debut' and 'I always think about when will I debut'. Then, she made a pun about Twice. 

"I'm from JYP. I won't be eliminated Twice", Somi felt embarrassed.

"I'm going to seem unlikable huh?", the young girl laughed and then her interview ended. 

 

 

 

 

 

Yah, Jeon Somi. Why are you even thinking about this right now? Focus on your audition! Somi started with a pose, with her one hand pointing to the sky. She sang Lips Are Moving by Meghan Trainor and still maintained to be cute while doing her little gestures. After, Somi sang her song, she started thinking that this performance wasn't her best one. Being in a big company like JYP, meant that people will have great expectations about Somi. But, after all, Somi was just a 15 year old girl. Even, she thought it didn't meet other people's expectations and it started worrying her. She bit her tongue and silently prayed that she would get higher than a C. 

"We'll announce the individual grade for JYP's trainee". 

"JYP Jeon Somi.." 

"A".

Somi was shocked, but she couldn't show that on camera (But, she did for a good second). She didn't think she deserves that 'A'. She knows it. The young girl could feel the looks and stares of the other trainees. She didn't want the other trainees to misunderstand her, just because she was in JYP. She didn't know what the judges saw in her, that made them want to rank her 'A', but she is thankful and determined to not loose her spot. Somi ended up walking off the stage with a bittersweet feeling and the producer asked her how she felt getting an 'A'. 

"I was so happy". 

 

 

 

February 5th, 2016

Episode 3

The girls were all invited to watch the first episode of Produce 101. Everyone was all excited and anxious to see themselves on screen, especially Somi. It's only been a month, and Somi loves it here. She thinks everyone is super nice and considerate of others. Her thoughts of having to worry about others hating her, were gone. It seems that everyone in Produce 101 wants to be friends with the maknae. As, the end of the episode was coming. Out of nowhere, a bunch of names and numbers were popping up. Wae? What is this? Then, Somi realized what they were doing. Her name still hasn't popped up and she kept staring at the screen desperately hoping for her name to pop up. Did they forget my name or something because there is no way- The rankings were finishing up until she saw her name. 

Her name was in first place. Somi couldn't believe it, she was in the lead! It felt like the time she made it to the final showcase in Sixteen. Except, getting into the final showcase was pure luck. This was different, she felt proud of herself, her hard work was finally paying off. She heard the people around her congratulate her as she couldn't take her eyes off of her name on the screen. Since Sixteen, she finally felt confident about her dream. 

Jeon Somi is going to debut. 

 

Before all of this happened. Every trainee had to go through re-evaluation with the song 'Pick Me'. That meant your rank could be any rank. Sadly, Somi got tired halfway of her evaluation and was demoted to 'B'. Aish, JYP wasn't really joking when he said your dancing skills . Somi still had no control over her breathing and it annoyed her that the skill she worked so hard on practicing, ended up not getting to her expectations. I'll just do well, during MCountdown Stage.

Now, here she was, standing in front of the rest of the 101 trainees, next to Heuihyeon AKA Cathy, Chanmi, Eunwoo and Chaeyeon unnie. Somi eternally groaned, but of course she silently did that. The 'A' members got to choose their team members for the group performance. She did not want to be in the 'Into The New World' group, that song did not suit her at all. Also, the fact that Cathy, the girl who picked her, seemed a little scary to Somi. Deep down, she knew that Cathy was probably a lot nicer, but her charisma was strong, too strong. She could hear all of the whispers that the trainees in front of her were saying, that's all Somi would hear ever since she first set foot on the set of Produce 101. The show ended up calling the team, the Avengers. Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Captain America were all deciding on who would get what vocal positions. Well, it was more like Cathy deciding for her teammates. 

Somi saw Cathy write her name in the section that said 'Subvocal 2', "Somi can have subvocal 2". 

I only get to sing 4 lines, this part is way to small.. Somi looked at the camera, hoping that maybe out of nowhere the producer would say something. She wanted to say that she wanted another part, but with her being the maknae. She felt it was rude to her unnies, so Somi kept quiet the whole time. All of the sudden, the maknae started to not feel well. I hate it when I get stressed and this happens. Eunwoo noticed Somi's change of mood. 

"Somi, are you okay?", Eunwoo pat the maknae's back and Somi shook her head. 

"Why don't you sit down for a while?", Chaeyeon offered as she was concerned about Somi. 

Somi felt burdened for letting her team down, she should be practicing. Not sitting down, watching them. Don't cry, Jeon Somi. She couldn't stop herself from letting the tears fall, her stomach was hurting really badly. The producer asked her, why she was crying and Somi explained everything. Then, the staff insisted that Somi should go to the hospital, so she did. 

 

The 'Avengers' just did their performance and.. It was rather dissapointing. Chanmi messed up the high note, in fear after hearing how Yeunjung did in group one, but Somi thought Eunwoo saved the the end of the performance with her vocals. There was no way, their group will win the group performance. The two groups were in the white room, waiting to see on who the national producers voted for. Somi was getting ready to lose, until she saw the big difference in votes on the screen. No way.. Our group won? Guilt. That was what the Group 2 members felt, everyone was thinking the same thing as Somi. Somi couldn't even stand to look at Yeunjung, who was now angrily crying. She did so well.. Somi kept quiet until the indivdual rankings were shown. She watched as the votes popped up on the screen. Somi got the highest votes out of all of them. She is the reason why they won. There was that bittersweet feeling again. Still, she couldn't stand to look at the other team who were trying to comfort Yeunjung. Now she realized why they were called the 'Avengers'. It wasn't based on their skills, it was their popularity. Chanmi debuted a few times and was close to being in SNSD, Chaeyeon and Cathy debuted in DIA and Eunwoo is a Pledis trainee who got a lot of praise from the citizens. Somi thought about it, she liked it better when JYP was judging her in Sixteen. At least, JYP knew when to choose skill over popularity. Now, Somi felt guilty and angry. Was her debut really going to depend on her popularity? 

 

 

 

 

After that performance, Somi's soul left her body and she would space out for the rest of the day. She really did feel bad for Yeunjung. Somi saw how hard Yeunjung worked at being the other team's main vocal, during practices with the other team, Yeunjung was JeA's star student. If anyone should debut, it should be Yeunjung, she had the perfect recording voice and decent dancing skills. Somi couldn't sleep in the dorm, not with all of the guilt she has about Yeunjung, so she decided to go for a walk around the building. Maybe, I shouldn't. I'm disobeying the rules.. Oh well. She didn't care about the rules, she just wanted to clear her head. The tired girl walked to the 'A' studio dance room. It's been a while since I've been here. She smiled at the thought of being in the dance room alone. When she saw Yeunjung sitting against the wall, staring at herself in the mirrors. There was that aching pain, Yeunjung looked so.. Tired. Somi wasn't going to leave Yeunjung alone, she walked towards Yeunjung and slid down beside her. Yeunjung was a little shock to see that the young girl from JYP was sitting beside her. 

"So.. That what happens when you're a trainee in JYP?", Yeunjung chuckled lightly at the younger girl, Somi kept quiet as she kept listening to Yeunjung. 

"I'm scared, Somi. After today, I don't know what will happen after everyone gets the benefit from the votes they won. Will I still survive in this show despite my poor fanbase? Will the national producers recognize my talent? I already get so much hate for my looks and for not being skinny. I'm not mad at you. I should be, but I'm not. I know about your little story and I sincerly hope that you'll debut soon". Yeunjung looked at Somi and smiled at the younger girl. Somi was now crying, she knows she shouldn't have. She never heard another trainee say that they hope she will debut. Even the members in Twice were too scared to say those words to Somi, they felt bad that the reason why Somi was still a trainee is because of them. Yeunjung wrapped her arms around Somi and wiped the tears with her sweater's sleeve. They stayed silent for a while, it wasn't awkward. It was comfortable. Somi stayed in Yeunjung's arms and they both looked at themselves in the mirror. 

"I hope you debut too, unnie", the younger girl muffled against Yeunjung's sweater. After that night, Yeunjung and Somi didn't talk much with each other, but they were silently giving each other support.

 

 

 

 

 

February 26th, 2016

Episode 6 

It was official, Somi loved being in the 'Bang Bang' group. Now, this team was really the 'Avengers'. There was Kim Chungha, the queen of dance. Choi Yoojung, 'Pick Me' center. Kim Doyeon, a natural beauty who was nominated by the other trainees as one of the 'Top Visual'. Kwon Eunbin, who was also nominated as 'Top Visual'. Kim Dani, a trainee who has a great personaility and Kim Seokyung, an independant trainee who Somi admired, because she was also an independant trainee. Another bonus to add was that they were all great dancers, which was perfect for this evaluation. Somi naturally got along with all of the team members, the 'Bang Bang' members were like puzzle pieces that fit perfectly together. She learnt that Dani lived in California when she was little and Chungha was born in Texas, meaning that they had great English skills. This made prepping for the performance 10x easier as the trio had decided to sing 'Bang Bang'. 

 

 

 

 

They were still ranked individually and it made Somi anxious again. Why do these shows always have unfair votings? It was time for the ranks to be revealed. After Big Bang, they were shown the individual votes and Somi got second meanwhile Yoojung got first. Somi finally felt that feeling of a fair voting. But, when Chungha's rating was shown, she saw that the hamster like girl only got fourth place. All of the members were shocked, especially Chungha. She created the whole choreography, the tall and small Fantagio trainees thought. She is the whole reason we did so great, Somi thought and said to her unnie. 

"It's okay Chungha, you're going to make it to the finals. I know it!", the younger girl smiled brightly as everyone else agreed with Somi. 

Inside, Somi ended up having that same feeling she had with Yeunjung. Bittersweet. 

 

 

 

 

Somi realized something about Chungha. The dance choreographer didn't care about their rankings. Everytime they practiced, Somi saw the looks of what her mother would give her when she had accomplished something in Chungha's eyes. They stayed up all night practicing, but mostly fooling around, and they would get scolded by the staff members for staying up so late. At this point, the younger girl decided to stop worrying about her rank and start cherishing the precious moments with her new friends. 

 

 

 

 

Kim Sejeong. Somi was always asked questions about the Jellyfish trainee. Honestly, she did make good friends with the older girl, but Somi always felt awkward whenever they were compared in the show. Whenever Somi's face appeared on the screen, so did Sejeong's. The JYP trainee was angry at how the survival show made it seem that the two were rivals. She remembers how shocked she was to hear Sejeong say this at the end of her speech, when she was annouced first place.  

"I really wanted to say this. Everyone I'm close with Somi, right Somi?", Sejeong looked at her, as she waved at her unnie. 

"Everyone, I adore Somi and I can give up this place for Somi anytime", Sejeong smiled at the camera and headed to her seat. 

After she heard this, Somi didn't talk a lot to Sejeong. She ended up focusing on her singing and dancing, as she was progressing further into the show. 

 

 

 

 

March 18th, 2016

Episode 9

Jeon Somi, the centre of Yum-Yum, was standing with her other group members, Yoojung, Chaeyeon, Dani, Siyeon, Soyeon and Chanmi. She has never felt so nervous right now, Jang Keunsuk is about annouce the first place winners for the concept evaluation and it is between 'Yum-Yum' and 'In the Same Place'. After performing, the two groups have both recieved shouts of people wanting encores. If she recieved this vote benefit, she could be in the lead and beat Sejeong. Somi knows it's silly to think like this, but she is now confident that she will get first place. 

"The group has won by a small margin of 30 votes..", everyone around Somi started exclaiming about how close the votes were. 

"The group that takes the win is.. 'In the Same Place'! Congratulations!", Keunsuk announced as all of the trainees clapped for the winner. 

Somi was a bit dissapointed that she didn't recieve the benefit, but there was also a part of her that knew that Yeunjung would definitely be in the final top eleven. 

 

--------------------------------------------------

First of all, I would like to say how sorry I am for taking so long to write this, when it is not the best chapter I have wrote. But, I am still new at this. The next part will be about the final episode!