Sixteen

"Everything I do is temporary"

"I'm Somi", the trainee grinned as she looked at the camera in front of her. She was doing her introduction video for Sixteen, a reality girl group survival show created by the one and only JYP. Somi was estatic to hear that she might have a chance of debuting in a girl group, IF she worked hard. She continued her little introduction, "I'm seriously too bright that I'm tactless!", there was that bright smile again.

"Please watch over me, fighting!", she threw her fist in the air and that was how Somi was introduced in Sixteen. 

 

 

 

 

 

Somi couldn't believe it right now. She made it to the finals, the girl nervously stood on the stage with the other 12 trainees. It took a while for Somi to adjust to her strengths and weaknesses in the show, but she achieved her goal of getting in the final showcase. The atmosphere was tense, the trainees and the audience who were watching them just wanted to hear who made it in the girl group.

"Im Nayeon, congratulations", JYP smiled at the girl who walked towards the center of the stage. The camera showed Dahyun happily cheering for Nayeon. At that moment, she couldn't even cheer for her unnie when she realized that Nayeon was going to say someone's name. That name meant they were eliminated, they didn't make it. Somi's heart aches at the thought of hearing her unnies read the card in the envelope and say her name. She's so close to debuting. Please no, Somi's head hung low as she prayed. Nayeon was looking at the 'Major' line.  Oh no she's looking at us. "Natty, I'm sorry.", Nayeon gave a sympathetic smile. Nayeon wanted to break down, everytime she said those words in this show made her feel so cruel. Everytime her necklace was ripped off and she was demoted to 'Minor', it felt like her chance of debuting was taken away in the hands of someone else. 

JYP proceeded to say the next member of his new girl group, Twice. "Yoo Jeongyeon", the short-haired girl walked to the table of envelopes and picked one up. Jeongyeon was already crying from joy, but she couldn't say this name immediately. She hesistated as she let a quiet sob.

"Come out, Jeon Somi-ah." 

Suddenly, Somi's world stopped. It felt like time stopped and everything was on pause. Did she really say my name? The younger girl's thoughts clouded her mind, but her body wasn't cooperating with her thoughts. All of the sudden, she found herself in the center of the stage, facing her producer JYP. There was no hug between her and Jeongyeon, just a simple nod as Somi gave her a faint smile. Yah, don't cry Somi. She kept a straight face as JYP told her the reason why she lost her chance of debuting, but was still able to sincerly give thanks to JYP and her smile grew bigger as Jeongyeon put her arm around her as an act of comfort. Somi went to stand beside Natty at the back of the stage. There were still no tears from Somi, even Natty had already shed a few tears. Her parents who were watching her was starting to get worried, especially her father. Matthew has always seen the excited side of Somi, the rare times were when he saw Somi crying because she was bullied at school for being a 'crossbreed' and the girl started hating all of the features on her face. Of course, Matthew was infurieted, why would people think that it's wrong to be different, but he put his anger aside and started helping Somi find confidence in herself. Whenever, he was alone with his older daughter, Matthew would bring his camera and tell Somi to pose for the camera. His daughter hated getting her pictures taken, but in the end it really was worth it. 

"Kim Dahyun" 

"Chou Tzuyu" 

"Park Jihyo"

"Sana Minatozaki"

"Son Chaeyoung"

"Mina Myoui"

"Momo Hirai"

Everytime a name was called, her heart would beat faster. This was reality. And she had to face it. Somi was shocked when she heard Momo's name. Wow.. Daebak. Somi really did envy Momo when she was in the early stages of being a trainee. Oh wait, I'm still a trainee. Somi still didn't cry in front of the camera. 

 

 

 

 

 

After the final recording of Sixteen

The survival show, Sixteen was offically done and the girl group Twice were soon to be the next hot girl group in all of Korea. After congratulating her unnies and saying good bye to her fellow trainees, Somi went home with her parents. Somi sat in the living room, thinking about how the whole day went. Somi's mom walked towards her from the kitchen and sat beside her. Her mother kissed Somi's forehead and gave her a tight hug, "There's always a next time". Somi chuckled at the phrase. Will there really be a next time?  "I'm okay, mom. I really am". Her mother sighed and decided to give her older daughter some space, meanwhile the little Jeon Somi AKA Evelyn clung onto Somi's leg, her face was filled with excitement and curiousity. "Did you make it?", Evelyn almost shrieked at Somi. I was definitely feeling better before you reminded me. Matthew noticed Somi's change of mood, "Evelyn, I think it's time you go to bed. It's past your bedtime". Matthew picked up the little girl as she whined, Somi smiled at her sister and told her that she promises to tell her what happened in the morning. Before Matthew dragged Evelyn to her room, the little girl made her older sister pinky promise to tell her. As Somi saw the duo go to her sister's room, she decided it was good to have some rest. After all, today was a long and dissapointing day. She couldn't believe that the reason why she didn't make it into Twice was her poor dancing skills. For the past months, she really thought she was practicing hard, but now it felt like all of that practice was for nothing. 

She heard someone knock her bedroom door, "Come in". Immediately, she knew who was coming in her room, it was like she had already expected her father to come.

"Are you sure you're okay?", her father needed to know so that he could stop worrying about the girl. "I'm okay, appa", Somi gave a small smile and then gently pushed her father out of her room. Her father was left staring at the door, dumbfounded. I'll just come back in a few minutes to actually talk to her. Hopefully, she will cooperate with me. 

Matthew sat in the living room for a few minutes thinking about how Somi must be feeling, dissapointment, anger, miserable. If Matthew kept thinking about it, the list would go on and on. But something was bothering him, why was Somi not showing any of these emotions? He made a final decision to go see Somi in her room again, instead of knocking on the door, he gently pushed the door open. He broke down at the sight, Somi was sleeping on her bed but there were tears trickling down her cheeks. After that night, Matthew didn't tell his wife about what he saw and decided to let it go knowing that the beagle Jeon Somi was going to be okay. 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

WOW, this was such a bad chapter, anyways first of all I should proabably introduce myself. My name is Cathy! And, I just wanted to write a little story on Somi's struggles of a idol, she had to go through so many girl group projects but she still hasn't settled down with one group. I'm going to write the chapters in order of what Somi did, so the next chapter will be about Produce 101/IOI! Also, I'm very sorry about my grammar <3