The Mysterious Man

Legendary Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The honey glow of the sun brightened the deep forest of Joo, creating a sparkling enchanting effect that was indescribable. Life had begun its new cycle as the animals awoke from their slumber, pumped and ready to start the day. Birds chimed their morning tunes, loud enough that the forest of Joo was like a musical stage for their early performance. Just beyond the borders of Joo was an aloof cottage that seemed isolated from the rest of the neighboring kingdoms. It was situated at the epicenter of the deep forest that no one would even think to step foot inside after over hearing the story of the black wolf who kills mercilessly if anyone tries to enter its territory. Soon enough, that area became known as the dark forest.

Meanwhile, as morning encompassed the kingdom of Joo and the neighboring kingdom of Ki, drips of sunlight managed to make its marks in the little old cottage onto a pale face.

Taeyeon winced as she felt a hot sensation on her forehead and opened her eyes slowly to a blurry brown ceiling. She stared up at the opaque wall above her for a few seconds, hearing nature’s morning voice, and then slowly sat up on what seemed like a straw mat on a hard bed. She grunted as she slowly forced herself to move and fixed her eyes on wounds that were neatly patched up with cloth and some ointment. With questions still lingering in her head, she peered down at the rugged gray blanket that was apparently used to keep her warm. It was plain and nothing fancy, but cordial that she was content with it. It also reeked of a certain scent that seemed unfamiliar to Taeyeon. Following her early examination, Taeyeon began to experience painful migraines as she gripped her head to stop the pain. She gasped as images, bloody, dark and dismal images, flashed through her mind. Unconditionally, she reached behind to feel for her weapon pouch. It was not there. She panicked slightly as she rustles through the bed sheets for it and realized it was not anywhere near her.

“Looking for this…” a deep voice muttered causing Taeyeon to snap her head at a man who was sitting on top of a small wooden table with her dagger tossed deftly from finger to finger.

Her eyes narrowed at the young man who was grinning from ear to ear as he brandished her dagger in his long slender fingers with ease. He wore a light gray robe sealed with a simple charcoal gray belt. His long jet-black hair was tied into a neat ponytail that extended down to his lower abdomen, showing his clear skin and distinct features. Taeyeon gave him an apathetic look as his structure or features didn’t seem life threatening, but she needed to keep her guard up.

“This dagger is really neat…wow it even has decoration on them…” he gasped examining the metallic object in his hand with amusement. Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at his childish behavior, like he was a child in a candy store.

 “Who are you…where am I?” she inquired in a concern tone, fixating her gaze at the complete stranger that seemed to be eluding her questions.

The man halted from exploring the dagger and directed his attention to her inquiry as he smirked.

“Who are you? ...Funny you ask that” he scoffed, still showing his toothy dorky grin. He fixed his eye on Taeyeon and smiled cheekily before hopping off the table to approach her. Taeyeon’s reflex urged her to scurry further back in the bed, but her wounds and body prevented her from doing so. Her body was as stiff as a statue all of a sudden. When she looked up at him, her eyes widened at the sharp dagger pointing directly at her pupil. He was holding it only centimeters away from her delicate orbs. It was at that moment when she saw the toothy grin vanish from his cheeky innocent face to a stern murderous disdainful expression that penetrated through her soul in just seconds. It was like time had suddenly stopped that she could feel her life flash before her eyes. At any moment, this man can take away her life if she made the wrong move.

“Who are you…” he asked in a calm yet stern tone. His deep strong vocal chords sent shivers up her spine as beads of sweat began to accumulate on her bandaged forehead. Her nerves got to her when the silly man that was there just a while ago had turned into a stoic blood thirsty foe. She sensed a cold presence, cold enough that murder was possible at any given second. Who was this man?

Desperately seeking for an answer, she crumpled the sides of the blanket nervously.

“My name…my name…” her eyes widened when she remembered her family cress. She began to scurry through her clothes for the pendant her father gave her, but it wasn’t there.

The young man gave her a strange look as he watched her scouring through her clothes for something.

“…Its not here…” she mumbled dejectedly as her eyes fell to the straw mat beneath her. She then furrowed her brows when she noticed the sharp object was now directed at , causing her to tilt her head slightly up to face him.

“In a world full of animals and traitors, it would be hard for me to let go of a young man such as yourself…” the man stated in a cold manner. “Freeing you would be equivalent to freeing a wild animal lurking in the deep woods that would do more harm than good…”

Taeyeon’s eyes narrowed at the man frozen gaze, before slowly trailing off to the direction of the exit. She bit the inside of her bottom lips anxiously before looking back up at him. It was now or never.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make it easier for the both of us and make it fast and painless. But…what fun will that be…” he smirked sinisterly at Taeyeon’s shivering expression. Just when he was about to wield the dagger a sudden force kicked the weapon out of his hands and landed right on the floor.

Taeyeon kicked the weapon out of his hand with all her remaining energy and then at him, which he managed to dodge smoothly with no effort. The gap between the two lads signaled to her that this was her chance. She got up from the bed and limped towards the door, but before she could she was grabbed on the shoulder by the young man.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he said, having his hand slapped away by Taeyeon who was furious. They exchanged a few blows as Taeyeon tried to deflect his moves whilst he was preventing her from escaping. Unfortunately, he had her in his grasp in just seconds as she was caught in his arms with the dagger aimed for her neck.

“You imbecile... You have the nerve to run…” he said between heavy breaths.

She glared down at the dagger, “What is it that you want?” she asked coldly.

He rolled his eyes and scoffed at her bold words, “Can’t you see it’s you who’s in trouble. Shouldn’t you be pleading me to free your life or something like that like a normal person…?” he stated.

She glared back at him with no response. Her reaction ignited an odd sensation in the man, finding it truly intriguing that she was not like his other victims. He cracked his toothy smile and tilted his head down to look down at her stoic, yet cautious appearance. At that moment, Taeyeon se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter